Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Pretty much all IAPs are like this also by having a $100 pack it makes the $1 small packs look more reasonable b comparison and appeal to more casual folk.

I'll give this game a try the no connection thing appeals to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Treat this game like Diablo. Be selective with what you spend gems and gold on, kill everything on the maps, don't buy low level armor and weapons, don't socket anything for a while, and just save until end game, or when it gets really hard.

For instance, you don't have to spend all your gems on unlocking more ability slots yet. Not even bag and storage slots. As the wizard, once I got the ice abilities I just ran with them and slowly upgraded them because it was cheap.

I crafted Life on Hit rings and necklaces and now I can pull entire maps and just stand there and stockpile potions and apples.

Once you go bananas trying to unlock everything, upgrade everything and so on, you'll shoehorn yourself into needing to buy the dumb little packages. I watch every stupid video, and 5☆ every level once I've beaten it so I don't have to do it later.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Bundle out featuring a collection of really solid adventure games including:

Grim Fandango
Kathy Rain
Machinarium
Her Story ($4 or more)
Sorcery! 4 ($4 or more)
Burly Men At Sea ($4 or more)
Lumino City ($6 or more)
Samorost 3 ($6 or more)

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 18, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

There's a new Humble Bundle out featuring a collection of really solid adventure games including:

Grim Fandango
Kathy Rain
Machinarium
Her Story ($4 or more)
Sorcery! 4 ($4 or more)
Burly Men At Sea ($4 or more)
Lumino City ($6 or more)
Samorost 3 ($6 or more)

Oh poo poo, that reminds me, I have to finish Sorcery

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Treat this game like Diablo. Be selective with what you spend gems and gold on, kill everything on the maps, don't buy low level armor and weapons, don't socket anything for a while, and just save until end game, or when it gets really hard.

For instance, you don't have to spend all your gems on unlocking more ability slots yet. Not even bag and storage slots. As the wizard, once I got the ice abilities I just ran with them and slowly upgraded them because it was cheap.

I crafted Life on Hit rings and necklaces and now I can pull entire maps and just stand there and stockpile potions and apples.

Once you go bananas trying to unlock everything, upgrade everything and so on, you'll shoehorn yourself into needing to buy the dumb little packages. I watch every stupid video, and 5☆ every level once I've beaten it so I don't have to do it later.

You'll also get the option to get a free piece of set gear after entering a code from the official forum - the gear will be levelled according to the character that opens it, so save it until you are max level if you want the best out of it. Don't do what I did and open it at level 13.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying this Eternium game but have repeatedly been getting my rear end kicked on the graveyard level (fourth, I believe). I just get overwhelmed by the skeletons and I can't concentrate on the healer. What can I do?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

hooah posted:

I'm trying this Eternium game but have repeatedly been getting my rear end kicked on the graveyard level (fourth, I believe). I just get overwhelmed by the skeletons and I can't concentrate on the healer. What can I do?

I don't know, because I beat that without dropping below 95% health. :psyduck:

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

hooah posted:

For the first few levels you should be spamming your special ability, since it has a very low cooldown until about character level 5. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, my cool down went from 2 seconds to something over 10, which makes a big difference in how much damage I can do.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's an Office Space themed clicker out for people who like those two things.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrkillboy posted:

There's an Office Space themed clicker out for people who like those two things.

No... No I can't do this... Nooooo :negative:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

mrkillboy posted:

All the reviews mention a recent update that set up a paywall with looking into before investing idle time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Has anyone gotten the "internal hatchery sharing" upgrade in Egg Inc and does it go past 100%? That would make it worth getting but 100 or less is a waste.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

All the reviews mention a recent update that set up a paywall with looking into before investing idle time.

What a lovely way to do that. Either start with the paywall or don't do it at all.

From the looks of things you can't even "slow grind" it. All upgrades are completely locked behind premium currency.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Has anyone gotten the "internal hatchery sharing" upgrade in Egg Inc and does it go past 100%? That would make it worth getting but 100 or less is a waste.

It's on my list of upgrades, came with the update that just rolled out. If it goes over 100%, that'd be interesting.

What I want to know is if you do the big warp, should you do the x2 boost first? Does the big boost time get taken advantage of during the warp?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

butt dickus posted:

It does not.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

hooah posted:

The lovely thing about this game is the regular attacks target the closest enemy, and baddies like summoners and healers try to put mobs in between you and them. You have to try to position yourself to target them first. The warrior pet guy's Z attack also stuns which can help with this.

Make sure you and your little buddy/pet are at full health, use potions/apples to heal as well. Even though you may be at full health, your dude might not.

Level up abilities in the free slot that might seem useful later first. Even though the wizards fire aoe ability does more damage, the ice aoe has a hold which keeps me alive a bit longer so I leveled that up first.

Im just using all of act 1 to farm for gems/gold that I know I'm going to need to unlock poo poo, upgrade poo poo, and boost poo poo later.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

m.hache posted:

What a lovely way to do that. Either start with the paywall or don't do it at all.

Hello Peter, whaaat's happening

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

m.hache posted:

From the looks of things you can't even "slow grind" it. All upgrades are completely locked behind premium currency.

"yeah, umm....im gonna need you to come in on saturday"

fits the theme

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
To be fair, making a lovely paywalled Office Space cash-in is meta as gently caress. List all the IAP at stuff like $9.999.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

butt dickus posted:

It is not. Previous best strat for 250mil trophies was 4 eggtopias with 20% grav plating. With hatchery sharing you can now go with the much cheaper 3 eggtopias, 1 monolith (no grav plating) and suffer no penalty in hatching rate.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What I want to know is if you do the big warp, should you do the x2 boost first? Does the big boost time get taken advantage of during the warp?

Yes and yes.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

m.hache posted:

This is how the trend of games are going.
Make the game F2P on release to get great reviews and once players invest a ton of time drop the paywall.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If anyone is looking for a fun and mindless loot damage number game, Dungeon Quest! has gotten a few hours out of me the last day or so. Just straight up grinding but it's got a decent art style and lots of weapons and items to play around with.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

seravid posted:

It is not. Previous best strat for 250mil trophies was 4 eggtopias with 20% grav plating. With hatchery sharing you can now go with the much cheaper 3 eggtopias, 1 monolith (no grav plating) and suffer no penalty in hatching rate.
I can't remember running out of space and not having enough cash to upgrade habitats but I've been playing for a long time. Seems like there are better things to spend gold eggs on.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Just picked up Mage and Minions and drat if it isn't a great little diablo-like. Easy controls, min-maxing, gear collecting fun, not too bad thus far with the cash shop either. It also let's you play offline, though you can't save progress until your connected again.

This is far better than any of the more popular dungeon crawlers I've played on android. Not sure how new the game is or anything, but just thought I'd give it a post if anyone was looking for sonething similar.

I've been playing this too and I'm up to level 15 without spending anything. Gems are fairly plentiful and I've been using them to increase inventory space. I'm even enjoying the crafting system to get rid of junk gear.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

butt dickus posted:

I can't remember running out of space and not having enough cash to upgrade habitats but I've been playing for a long time. Seems like there are better things to spend gold eggs on.

It's only an issue for the first few eggs' gold trophies (and platinum now too, I suppose), where cash is the limiting factor.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I don't really get how you guys have played egg inc for more than a few days without getting bored enough to uninstall

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I don't either. I've tried others (tap titans, whatever the fish one is called) and quickly uninstalled them, but I keep coming back to this one.

It's probably due to having goals through missions/trophies.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So I'm looking for a space trading game about halfway in between the Space Trader source ports and Star Traders by the Trece(sp?) Brothers. Not nearly as grognardy with maybe a more touch friendly interface. Anything good out there? Bonus points for being graphically lightweight or not having really ponderous real time combat.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Episode one of Telltale's Guardians of the Galaxy game is out for Android.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kairo's Shiny Ski Resort is pretty good yall! I'm still not positive about some of the mechanics, probably because of the engrish translation, but it really opens up once you unlock the ability to do races for money.

I'm definitely at that inevitable point in every Kairosoft game where I'm so big that the money is just rolling in. At this point the collectible materials are mainly what's holding me back.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 19, 2017

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

How much "place buildings only in this order for min/max" does it have?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'll be the first to admit that a game like Egg Inc SHOULDN'T be something that I normally find appealing. There's barely any 'game' there. Literally no fail state!

And yet, it's been my goto game going on months now. It's a combination of extreme polish with goals that are constantly attainable.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
So it appears Eternium is one of these dumbshit arpgs where the bosses are an order of magnitude harder than the trash. So you spend ten minutes clearing a level (without breaking a sweat) only to find that the boss(es) one-shot you before you've done more than scratch them. And there's no clear upgrade path beyond 'farm a ton of levels but quit out before the boss'. Not very compelling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vulpes posted:

So it appears Eternium is one of these dumbshit arpgs where the bosses are an order of magnitude harder than the trash. So you spend ten minutes clearing a level (without breaking a sweat) only to find that the boss(es) one-shot you before you've done more than scratch them. And there's no clear upgrade path beyond 'farm a ton of levels but quit out before the boss'. Not very compelling.

Yeah, that's the problem I ran into on the 4th level. 1-3 were super easy, and so was most of 4 until the bosses.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vulpes posted:

Yep. I got pretty far into it, but there just was a wall I hit where I was going to have to grind over and over to get the next tier of gear to make it past the dragon and gave up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Vulpes posted:

Upgrade your gear, upgrade your abilities, socket your existing gear with gems, make accessories, use the pets abilities, heal with potions and apples and you should have no problem with any boss.

I literally didn't upgrade a thing until level 7 and even then, I just added gems to existing gear and made some accessories and now I'm 14 on act 2. I thought the grind was implied by it being a diablo-like. :shrug:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Wiz Khalifa's Weed Farm is out.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Upgrade your gear, upgrade your abilities, socket your existing gear with gems, make accessories, use the pets abilities, heal with potions and apples and you should have no problem with any boss.

I literally didn't upgrade a thing until level 7 and even then, I just added gems to existing gear and made some accessories and now I'm 14 on act 2. I thought the grind was implied by it being a diablo-like. :shrug:

I'm in the 30s, it was fine until about 25 then it got really punishing. I've found a good way to upgrade gear is grinding rifts and hoping for an easy boss. Of the three I can get at the moment, only the dragon is problematic and I can even kill him sometimes.

I strongly recommend splashing out $1 (or whatever it is in US) for the Thunderfury pack, the sword is pretty great and you get a bunch of gems and coins as well. Plus if it's your first purchase they send you a bonus armor box as well (don't open till max level if you're min-maxing).

Game could probably use a thread, it's deep enough. I don't have time to make one though, in the process of moving countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Upgrade all abilities, even the ones you don't use. Those levels contribute to your synergy, which gives stat bonuses every 10 synergy levels.

My other tip is for crowd control. When you get your second companion, they have a spell that rounds up all enemies within the circle you draw. You can draw a huge circle around your whole screen, and it'll grab everyone. Round em up, and bomb the hell out of them with fire or your preferred spell. Makes short work of dragons and summoners.