Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Your Computer posted:

According to the :airquote:lore community:airquote: he got cucked.

This is not a joke.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why did From break binocular sniping it was really fun in 2 spending ages doing it to become near perfect

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Silver knights and black knights are cool because they're tragic. Silver knights are clinging to all that they know how to do: guard annor londo. Since Gwyn has been dead for aeons, they all hollowed and just stick to doing what they know. Black knights are more or less the same, having been out in the world and went hollow, so you'll usually find them wherever there are/were demons to kill.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
avoid a huge attack string and chase this rear end in a top hat down to hit him in the face with a +10 executioner's greatsword while I have 40 str and dex and he takes like, less than 1/40th of his hp in damage, and he has multiple moves where either he keeps moving away form you for a while or just coats the ground in front of him in flames and all you can do is back up and wait for him to stop

also he has that stupid move where he flies and strafes the ground with fire and if you go right, you unavoidably get hit, but if you go left it's easily dodged. so it's just kind of a gotcha

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Silver knights and black knights are cool because they're tragic. Silver knights are clinging to all that they know how to do: guard annor londo. Since Gwyn has been dead for aeons, they all hollowed and just stick to doing what they know. Black knights are more or less the same, having been out in the world and went hollow, so you'll usually find them wherever there are/were demons to kill.
they're also cool because they have cool movesets and are vulnerable to parries and backstabs, which is especially relevant in the case of black knights which are way strong for when they show up but you can beat them easily with game knowledge(moreso in ds1 than this one but w/e)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 19, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

HaB posted:

Perhaps even more to the point: you hit it repeatedly in the nuts. A nice little metaphor for taking out your prior frustrations with Bed of Chaos.
Finally a lore theory i feel strong wonder, support and curiosity for. I thought i'd never see the day

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

Why did From break binocular sniping it was really fun in 2 spending ages doing it to become near perfect

The answer is that most of DS3's guts came directly from DS1, which is why certain completely inexplicable design decisions (flat elemental resistances!!!!) came back for no good reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Silver knights and black knights are cool because they're tragic. Silver knights are clinging to all that they know how to do: guard annor londo.

Except the one guy, who's slacking off and staring at Gwynevere's portrait. :v:

Speaking of which I never noticed that Nashandra's portrait's in that same room. It doesn't curse you anymore.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
He was doing exactly what he was supposed to :twink:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I wonder if the knights just showed up after that stuff was looted from Anor Londo. Like they think it's a part of there now

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Finally a lore theory i feel strong wonder, support and curiosity for. I thought i'd never see the day

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dark Souls II 2: Ouch, Right in the Dark Orbs

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Actually the Flann thing is interesting (aside from Flan being a tasty treat).

In a game all about Fire, Linking Fires, Fires Going Out, Ashes, Embers, Coals, and Chaos Flames, the one god who has anything to do with fire is conspicuously absent.

Am... am I Flann? Are you?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If Flann was anything like the other gods we know, he was probably a dick.

And don't even get me started on Old Man McLoyf, god of medicine and drink!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dark souls gods are extremely Olympian

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Since we're talking about gods getting cucked, would anyone mind taking a small diversion and explaining to me why the gently caress a part of Anor Londo is sitting in Irythill? Was Aldrich too loving fat and engorged on godliness to go there himself, so he had it brought there by his servants or something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Node posted:

Since we're talking about gods getting cucked, would anyone mind taking a small diversion and explaining to me why the gently caress a part of Anor Londo is sitting in Irythill? Was Aldrich too loving fat and engorged on godliness to go there himself, so he had it brought there by his servants or something

Irthyll is Anor Londo. The city has a different name now because its been countless years since the gods actually had control of the place.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Irthyll is Anor Londo. The city has a different name now because its been countless years since the gods actually had control of the place.

Irthyll looks like some Harry Potter poo poo, not Anor Londo, which had to have everything in human size and giant size.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Node posted:

Irthyll looks like some Harry Potter poo poo, not Anor Londo, which had to have everything in human size and giant size.

The giants all lived upstairs. Irithyll is down on the floor of the city where all the plebeian manlets were

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Node posted:

How would you know? You never saw what the ground looked like before 3.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vermain posted:

The answer is that most of DS3's guts came directly from DS1, which is why certain completely inexplicable design decisions (flat elemental resistances!!!!) came back for no good reason.

I like that they didn't even bother with the DS2 gestures and just went back to the DS1 default gestures.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SKULL.GIF posted:

I like that they didn't even bother with the DS2 gestures and just went back to the DS1 default gestures.

Several of DS2's are in there actually.

They forgot the most important one of all in the whole series though: Well, What Is It?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

To me dark souls lore is just the player showing up very late to a party. poo poo went downhill centuries ago and when you arrive everyone is dead or crazy. Economy is in the shitter, undead are working without pay, towns falling into sinkholes, you got rats in people's attics and nobody's home to fix it. The dead can't afford graves, living in the streets instead, killing people and taking their souls. They got demons running the asylum, and people are climbing around on the rafters at the cathedrals.

Who's gonna fix this? Who's gonna make Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric great again? The lords abandoned their thrones, the gods are nowhere to be found and kill anyone who finds them, the pope is a scary man who's selling out to the poop-lord. It's up to you I guess?

Or in other words: "I don't know what's going on here, but I'm gonna kill poo poo and take souls until I figure something out."

Followed by many deaths. Many, many deaths.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RBA Starblade posted:

They forgot the most important one of all in the whole series though: Well, What Is It?

I dunno, you tell me! :downsrim:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

RBA Starblade posted:

Several of DS2's are in there actually.

WWII and the original Shrug are sorely missed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Node posted:

In 3 everything looks like it is sinking, while Lorthic castle is on a massive impossible cliff.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Bandai's newest IP that is being called already "Vampire Anime Souls"

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/first-look-code-vein-bandai-namco-new-action-rpg

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Node posted:

It's all extremely vague (par for the course), but it's implied that Irithyll sprouted up around Anor Londo and was gradually filled with the descendants of the gods (check out the character creation premade description for Irithyllians).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Diabetic posted:

That looks like another Monster Hunter type game, I mean even the way the characters hold the weapons look the same

I didn't play much God Eater but the blood stuff in that article sounds like stuff that was in God Eater too

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I don't have DS3 yet, but this seems like the best place to ask nonetheless: Since I never beat DS1 and barely played DS2, I'm starting the series over, playing through them in order. Still on DS1 at the moment, but I have a question about DS2: How does the SotFS upgrade work? I have the base game, no DLC; would the upgrade include the DLC stuff? Since it's $30 to upgrade and $30 to buy all the DLC, just buying SotFS outright for $40 would be cheaper if need to get the upgrade and the DLC. From what I understand SotFS is treated like its own game that has all the DLC built in already, but I'd like to be sure here since I need to save money.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Diabetic posted:

:whitewater:

lol at people thinking this might be a Bloodborne sequel

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, I don't have DS3 yet, but this seems like the best place to ask nonetheless: Since I never beat DS1 and barely played DS2, I'm starting the series over, playing through them in order. Still on DS1 at the moment, but I have a question about DS2: How does the SotFS upgrade work? I have the base game, no DLC; would the upgrade include the DLC stuff? Since it's $30 to upgrade and $30 to buy all the DLC, just buying SotFS outright for $40 would be cheaper if need to get the upgrade and the DLC. From what I understand SotFS is treated like its own game that has all the DLC built in already, but I'd like to be sure here since I need to save money.

SotFS has the DLC integrated by default, yes. The upgrade saves you a bit of money, and that's the entire point of it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Internet Kraken posted:

:whitewater:

lol at people thinking this might be a Bloodborne sequel

it's going to surpass bloodborne, of course

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Genocyber posted:

SotFS has the DLC integrated by default, yes. The upgrade saves you a bit of money, and that's the entire point of it.

Nice, then. Okay, thanks. Will get that after I finish my DS1 playthrough (and have some spare cash).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Ebrietas is still best waifu so good luck with that one

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sapozhnik posted:

Ebrietas is still best waifu so good luck with that one

The internet is divided about which great one they'd like to gently caress more.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wonder what a normal-rear end fish in the Bloodborne universe would think just swimming along minding its own fish business when suddenly a loving cthulu just sidles up like "hey what's goin on". Would it even care? Can fish experience the sensation of caring about something? I'd poo poo my fish-self, personally.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Diabetic posted:

Honestly the anime doesn't bother me, but if it's anything like God Eater it'll have floaty combat and horrendous voice acting :whitewater:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
God Eater 2 has the best voice acting.

E: it's environments look like they were constructed for a high school play, which is also describes the voice acting so it's perfect.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 19, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh man is that emlan

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I wonder what a normal-rear end fish in the Bloodborne universe would think just swimming along minding its own fish business when suddenly a loving cthulu just sidles up like "hey what's goin on". Would it even care? Can fish experience the sensation of caring about something? I'd poo poo my fish-self, personally.
Have you read China Mieville's The Scar? It doesn't feature quite the meeting you're referring to (fish + giant sea monster), but there are still a few scenes of stark astonishment when some of the characters encounter an avanc. When it first arrives, one man is daunted by the beat of "a heart the size of a cathedral", given that the beast is on the order of miles long. And later when some scientists descend to check up on it, they initially are confused by their depth readings contrasting with their ocean-floor surroundings until they realize that they're instead just above a creature so large that it supports its own ecosystem.

So what I'm saying is that China Mieville is rad, even if his writing style is at times ornate. (See my avatar for an excerpt from another of his books.) And as for meeting Cthulhu, it depends on how big that monster is. At some point Cthulhu ceases to be a monster and instead becomes part of the local geography, though perhaps an especially volatile part thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

One of the below;

1.) Oh shoot that guy is small I bet I can eat him
2.) Oh shoot that guy is big I better run
3.) Oh shoot that guy is big but harmless I better pick at his scraps

Y'know, fish things.