Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Honorable mention goes to the Harry Potter series, where JK Rowling got so sick of of people over analyzing the time travel she used in the third book that later in the series she went out of her way to have them accidentally destroy every single Time Turner just to drive home that it was never ever going to be a thing again.

Well...about that...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally I'm just waiting for In Training to talk about 3rd Birthday again because it easily has the worst implementation of time travel I've ever seen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the, gearbox, the

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Personally I'm just waiting for In Training to talk about 3rd Birthday again because it easily has the worst implementation of time travel I've ever seen.

I couldn't figure out if it was time travel or the matrix or both

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Ouch.

Bulletstorm was a fine game too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I couldn't figure out if it was time travel or the matrix or both

It's time travel because they wrote a bunch of different plots and had to slapdash them together to get a release out.

The entire plot and backstory of the game changes after every mission because you're changing what happened in the past and it also has the problem from FFXIII where half the plot is in the datalogs... which change after every mission so you have to read the entire thing again after every mission to get the gist of the broken plot. And then half way through they abandon the time travel stuff for the plot that it has at that point in time. Except for... well, you're still playing so have fun.

It's like they couldn't settle on a setting for the game and just used all of them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cool. I stopped playing at the Chapter 1 final boss that has a phase where you have to wait for your transform meter to fill up before you can damage it and then it switches into a OHKO mode and I failed it twice and put it down. I'll probably just power through with save states to see the rest of the game though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon's Trap is a surprisingly well designed game given its age, there's a distinct lack of the obtuse and directionless structure of similar games of the time period. I imagine the original password system made it harder to play than the remake though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Sakurazuka posted:

Dragon's Trap is a surprisingly well designed game given its age, there's a distinct lack of the obtuse and directionless structure of similar games of the time period. I imagine the original password system made it harder to play than the remake though.

Not really as long as you wrote the password down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i just found out today netflix is reviving a 20 year old children's cartoon based on an edutainment video game from the 1980's in the year of our lord 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also on a related note apparently jennifer hale of commander shepard and "i'll kill your dicks" fame's first major voice acting role was as the main character on the original carmen sandiego show

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Looks like Netflix read my "Where in the gently caress is Carmen San Diego?", fanfic .

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

Not really as long as you wrote the password down.

I have bad password memories thanks to Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Luigi exposed as a Koopa Troop sympathizing traitor

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

i just found out today netflix is reviving a 20 year old children's cartoon based on an edutainment video game from the 1980's in the year of our lord 2019

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I really liked the time travel in Frequence. Is that an underrated film? I feel like it is an underrated film. It's cool because in Frequency, they don't actually travel through time, but they can send information backwards and forwards through time and it is a singular timeline where two different points in time are happening simultaneously, the "past" and the "present" (or the "present" and "future" depending on how you want to look at it) and idk what other time travel things have done stories like that where time is actually happening all at once and we are only perceiving specific parts of it at a time and other forces can allow different aspects of time to become linked and simultaneous.

Actually, there was a jojo's bizarre adventure fangame that had a similar thing going on.

Another neat thing was how you would help yourself in timesplitters future perfect, with each era having a point where you can't continue but then you show up from the future to help yourself out and later in the level you do the same thing, so it is a stable time loop, until later in the game you get to a point where you don't have any help from your future self and so you end up creating your own stable time loop in order to progress, which is cool since I've seen plenty of media show stable time loops but not many showing how one can come into being.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Those are Galoombas.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

He just started an outreach program to help wayward goombas find a new purpose in life. That purpose being to join an army and take down Luigi's tyrannical brother.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Speaking of Jojos fan games, I really like a mechanic from the turn based rpg one (I think it's called the 7th stand user) where all the random encounters on the map are remote controlled stands, and you can decrease/end the random encounters entirely by tracking down and beating the optional bosses who are putting those stands on the map. Like one of the monsters on the random encounter table is a fly, and you can backtrack on one level to find and kill the fly dude and then none of the maps have flies anymore. It was a nice way to mix up a very standard random encounter system and give the player a little influence over it rather than it being an unending stream of enemies that you can't ever stop.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Speaking of Jojos fan games, I really like a mechanic from the turn based rpg one (I think it's called the 7th stand user) where all the random encounters on the map are remote controlled stands, and you can decrease/end the random encounters entirely by tracking down and beating the optional bosses who are putting those stands on the map. Like one of the monsters on the random encounter table is a fly, and you can backtrack on one level to find and kill the fly dude and then none of the maps have flies anymore. It was a nice way to mix up a very standard random encounter system and give the player a little influence over it rather than it being an unending stream of enemies that you can't ever stop.

Yeah, another instance of that is in the first map, there are delinquents who will fight you, and they have a chance to drop an item that will let you fight the person making the delinquents all angry and stuff so you can get rid of that encounter entirely. 7th Stand User has a lot of neat features that I would love to see in another non-rpgmaker game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Macarius Wrench posted:

Ouch.

Bulletstorm was a fine game too.
One of my favorite games of all time but selling a full-priced version with updated graphics and nothing more that nobody asked for is insane even for Gearbox standards.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would have been perfect if they just kicked it up to 1080p60, redid any assets that looked extra janky afterward, and kicked it out the door for ~$20.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The game giving you a personality test at the start and then giving you one of like ten very specific, not good at everything stands and forcing you to build your party around the flaws in your stand was a very good decision too, especially compared to, say, an Smt game where you have a lot more power to make a flexible generalist player character. I only played the first three or four maps of that game, I should really go back and finish it sometime. Doesn't it have a lot of story branches too?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palpek posted:

One of my favorite games of all time but selling a full-priced version with updated graphics and nothing more that nobody asked for is insane even for Gearbox standards.

I was honestly surprised the much hyped Duke stuff was additional dlc rather than being part of it. That just seems greedy to the point where it will hurt them.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I didn't actually remember there being a Japanese garden and mansion tileset in Dragon's Trap, including ninjas. :eyepop:

It's been almost 25 years since my last playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the general idea behind making Bulletstorm cost full-game-price again was that Bulletstorm was not really that popular when it came out the first time, so it's being treated like it's a new release again. Which is a terrible idea if that was their logic, so I hope I'm wrong

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What was Gearbox's last real financial success? Borderlands 2? Their Duke 3D and Bulletstorm "remasters" were probably pretty cheap to make, so they might have been able to eke out a profit, but still.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this not doing well is probably going to sink gearbox

and nothing of value will be lost

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phantasium posted:

The book was great and I only watched the first episode, what'd they end up doing with the miniseries?

But yeah I was going to say I like how 11/22/63 did it.

They got rid of the entire first act where he goes back to the present after his first trip to make sure that it worked and to start over, the whole series is just one trip. Also they gave him a young sidekick who developed a love triangle with Oswalt's wife, they stayed in one place the entire time and skipped a lot of the stuff related to exploring the conspiracy, and they even gave him amnesia at one point just so they could kill an entire episode having him re-learn everything before the finale. Also they got rid of all the cool cosmic stuff with the Yellow Card Man and instead had him just be a fellow time traveler who went crazy.

.5 Battleborns :eyepop:

Looper posted:

Well...about that...

Oh geez.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Gearbox desperately scrambling to get Borderlands 3 made

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mordja posted:

What was Gearbox's last real financial success? Borderlands 2? Their Duke 3D and Bulletstorm "remasters" were probably pretty cheap to make, so they might have been able to eke out a profit, but still.

It was Borderlands 2. The third game didn't sell nearly as well by literal millions of units.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lakbay posted:

Gearbox desperately scrambling to get Borderlands 3 made

i mean how could they do that without a project to embezzle the funds from

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

Since Borderlands 2, they have released:

-Aliens: Colonial Marines which was too famously garbage to have sold much.

-Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel which probably sold OK since a ton of people wanted more Borderlands at the time (e: guess it didn't)

-Borderlands remaster double pack for PS4, ditto.

-Homeworld remaster, from which they likely didn't get a whole lot of money but didn't meddle or take credit either, pretty much just doing the PC community a solid.

-Homeworld spinoff about which I know nothing but I don't think a budget RTS would be a major cash cow these days.

-Battleborn, about which nothing more needs to be said.

-Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour, which now appears to have been a trial run for this strategy of repackaging old PC games at a huge markup and delisting the cheaper original at the same time. Limited appeal (especially since Duke Nukem Forever killed the franchise) and its target audience is now furious.

-Bulletstorm remaster.

I still kinda want Borderlands 3 but if we never get it I won't be too mad.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 19, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pre-Sequel is such a god damned dumb name.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cowcaster posted:

i mean how could they do that without a project to embezzle the funds from

Can't wait to see Borderlands 3 on Kickstarter Indiegogo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

haveblue posted:

Since Borderlands 2, they have released:

-Aliens: Colonial Marines which was too famously garbage to have sold much.

-Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel which probably sold OK since a ton of people wanted more Borderlands at the time (e: guess it didn't)

-Borderlands remaster double pack for PS4, ditto.

-Homeworld remaster, from which they likely didn't get a whole lot of money but didn't meddle or take credit either, pretty much just doing the PC community a solid.

-Homeworld spinoff about which I know nothing but I don't think a budget RTS would be a major cash cow these days.

-Battleborn, about which nothing more needs to be said.

-Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour, which now appears to have been a trial run for this strategy of repackaging old PC games at a huge markup and delisting the cheaper original at the same time. Limited appeal (especially since Duke Nukem Forever killed the franchise) and its target audience is now furious.

-Bulletstorm remaster.

I still kinda want Borderlands 3 but if we never get it I won't be too mad.

Tales from the Borderlands is a Telltale game but it's also technically a Gearbox product and several Borderlands writers worked on it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Battleborn was so bad. I got it for real cheap after it flopped (like 18 dollars) and it still felt like I paid too much. It was structured like a F2P game and just required a ton of grinding to unlock poo poo, plus it aggressively threw cool premium stuff in your face constantly (in order to get you to spend more money)

If I had paid 60 or (god forbid) 90 bucks I would have been nuclear pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Pre-Sequel is such a god damned dumb name.

It's very gearbox

• Locked thread