Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
There are two husband and wife pairs. One of them once you confuse them and see them drop only 1 yen you'll have a hearty laugh and say well of course they got no money, gently caress these two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh right I remember the second one sure that makes sense

RME
Feb 20, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Uh maybe I'm thinking of a different one but in the double fight with the fairy king and queen whose names I can't remember I confused the guy and he was dropping like 30k every time.

oberon and titania, the temperance link request

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I kind of want a return of Personas being able to physically manifest in a real world though. It has happened in bits and pieces around other games, but I mean straight up some guy/etc. awakening to a persona, dressing up in a sentai suit and acting like a super hero while they fights a shadow outbreak in the city.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crabtree posted:

I kind of want a return of Personas being able to physically manifest in a real world though. It has happened in bits and pieces around other games, but I mean straight up some guy/etc. awakening to a persona, dressing up in a sentai suit and acting like a super hero while they fights a shadow outbreak in the city.

Go play Tokyo Mirage Sessions, it gets pretty close to that.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So i'm nearing the end of my NG+ run and I still crave more SMT.

I have SMT4 and TMS available to me, which one should I play first.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Harrow posted:

(Or, uh, just ditch the "if the protagonist reaches 0 HP it's game over" thing, especially since we establish that going down in battle is not dying and all of your pals can get right back up with a single revive item without missing a beat. If I had one complaint about Persona 5 it's that they keep hanging onto that for some reason.)

(Endgame spoilers) I always assumed that in P4 and P5 it was just because Izanami and Yaldabaoth have ridiculously itchy trigger fingers and won't miss an excuse to claim that you lost the game, considering they weren't particularly interested in playing fair in the first place. Course, that doesn't explain it out-of-universe, since AFAIK it doesn't apply to any other SMT subseries.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Arrrthritis posted:

SMT4A.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arrrthritis posted:

TMS will scratch the Persona-ish itch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

am I correct in saying visits to the gym and doing workouts with the beam in your bedroom are beyond worthless? You have to pay 2k yen for the gym just for like 5 HP gain. I thought it would increase but after 2 visits it seems like a complete scam.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Instant Grat posted:

It's insane how many balance problems this game has

I know that's par for the course, but the intersection of easily obtained mountains of cash, the Strength Rank 10 ability, Treasure demons, and the way the Gallows works, means that you have to actively choose not to become an invincible death machine

I now have all of these things, what can I do with them

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Would people use a spoiler thread if I created one? I haven't finished the game and so I'm tired of having to skip past pages and pages filled with only black bars in this thread.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mordiceius posted:

Would people use a spoiler thread if I created one? I haven't finished the game and so I'm tired of having to skip past pages and pages filled with only black bars in this thread.

We already have one. People are just bad at using it.

Persona 5 Spoiler thread

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ChaosArgate posted:

We already have one. People are just bad at using it.

Persona 5 Spoiler thread

Ah wasn't aware there was a spoiler thread already. People need to post their spoiler novels over there. Instead of 7 of the last 10 pages being completely black bars.

Yo, Captain Baal, put the spoiler thread link at the top of the OP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Ah wasn't aware there was a spoiler thread already. People need to post their spoiler novels over there. Instead of 7 of the last 10 pages being completely black bars.

Yo, Captain Baal, put the spoiler thread link at the top of the OP.

Do you want people to only vaguely talk about mechanics with zero context at all here or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do you want people to only vaguely talk about mechanics with zero context at all here or something

yes, that's what everyone who bitches about spoilers wants

take all discussion of things that are on the box or revealed in the first five minutes to the spoilers thread, you vile troll

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's goofy to expect people who are on like the 4th dungeon or w/e and want to talk about stuff that happened so far, to go to the free for all thread where people are talking about end game stuff openly. IMO.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's goofy to expect people who are on like the 4th dungeon or w/e and want to talk about stuff that happened so far, to go to the free for all thread where people are talking about end game stuff openly. IMO.

not to mention sometimes discussions naturally wind up going to endgame stuff and expecting all five or six people in a conversation to pack up their bags and go to a different thread just because one of them wants to talk about the final boss's design is stupid @ gently caress

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The spoiler thread is basically this thread but the meme concentration is thicker.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The CIA documents going on the past few pages were all literal game ending spoilers though, I don't think it's unreasonable to take those to the spoiler thread. Early and mid-game stuff that is more minor is fine being in here.

That's my hot take anyways I don't particularly care either way.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

What's this about confusing and money

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Confuse a bad guy and they will sometimes throw items or money

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you inflict Confuse on a midboss there's a decent chance it'll drop between 15k and 40k yen per turn.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenVulgarity posted:

If you confuse enemies, especially bosses in Mementos, they drop tons of money like your party does when confused.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Mementos bosses typically throw way more than the normal amount of money when confused. We're talking 5 figures easy. Not all of them are vulnerable to it, but the ones that are like cracking open a pinata.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think of spoiler threads as a place where people who want to have a detailed discussion about the whole game can do so without having to use spoiler tags. It's not that you can't or shouldn't talk about things that need to be in spoiler tags in this thread, just that there's another thread where, if you've completed the whole game, you're free not to use tags.

I dunno, maybe that's just how I see them. Nobody should be telling people to "take it to the spoiler thread" imo, except maybe if there are like three straight pages of black boxes or something, but eh :shrug:

ZenVulgarity posted:

Go into Mementos with a request active and find the mini-boss. Confuse the boss with Pulinpa (it helps to have Confuse Boost, too). Confused enemies spend their turn either sitting there doing nothing, dropping an item (that you get to have), or, most commonly, throwing away yen (that you also get to take). Mini-bosses throw away 15k-20k yen every time they do that, and you can just chain-confuse them to keep it up as long as you feel like.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Nier thread had the same issue, and for me the problem isn't that I am mad at the black bars -- I can just scoll past them -- it's that when I'm done with the game and want to go back and read the story discussions people have been having, it's pretty difficult if it's mixed in with a thread I have been following. With a spoiler thread, I know that once I finish the game, I can easily follow that conversation from the beginning

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
This thread isn't allowed to discuss anything past 7/7, or the ending sections of the first three palaces. Conversations may not last longer than 90 minutes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Holy poo poo you can craft infiltration tools before a heist :siren:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Holy poo poo you can craft infiltration tools before a heist :siren:

You can also make coffee/curry, it's rad.

NRVNQSR posted:

This thread isn't allowed to discuss anything past 7/7, or the ending sections of the first three palaces. Conversations may not last longer than 90 minutes.

Why did they set 7/7 as the cutoff date for that? Nothing of note happened then, it was a bit before the deadline for the 3rd palace.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't care if people are talking a couple sentences about mid game spoilers in this thread, it just bothers me when you have multiple pages of people writing five paragraph essays of ending analysis in every post filling up the thread.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

actually lets talk about if law is evil or not in smt

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Why did they set 7/7 as the cutoff date for that? Nothing of note happened then, it was a bit before the deadline for the 3rd palace.
I think they probably just picked a date that was easy to remember. It's a copy-paste of the guidelines they sent to reviewers with their pre-release copies, so I don't think they put much thought into it.

RME posted:

We hate the cops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So I'm seeing some conflicting info out there: do elemental Boost and Amp skills stack this time around or not? I figure they do because they basically always have, but I figured I'd check before I start ditching potentially useful skills to have both or something.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RME posted:

Do not summon Tallgeese into this thread. It's bad enough already.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

So I'm seeing some conflicting info out there: do elemental Boost and Amp skills stack this time around or not? I figure they do because they basically always have, but I figured I'd check before I start ditching potentially useful skills to have both or something.
I think this time round the skills all say in their description whether or not they stack? I'm pretty sure Amp and Boost say they do, and the Counters all say they don't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I think this time round the skills all say in their description whether or not they stack? I'm pretty sure Amp and Boost say they do, and the Counters all say they don't.

Ah, I haven't gotten an Amp yet. Cool, thanks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've only been able to play a few hours each day and I'm so glad I'm finally coming up to the end of the fifth palace. The end wasn't so bad, just the first two-thirds of it.

I could have left and come back another day, but man, optimization.

Are there actually enough fights with multiple opponents for Ann to justify learning Matarunda? Otherwise I'm tempted to have her stick with Tarunda for the much cheaper SP cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've only been able to play a few hours each day and I'm so glad I'm finally coming up to the end of the fifth palace. The end wasn't so bad, just the first two-thirds of it.

I could have left and come back another day, but man, optimization.

Are there actually enough fights with multiple opponents for Ann to justify learning Matarunda? Otherwise I'm tempted to have her stick with Tarunda for the much cheaper SP cost.

Keep Matarunda for nasty group fights and fuse a Trumpeter for single target complete shutdown.