Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.
I guess people finally heard how dope the new Gi Bill is, congress wants to change it so new privates/airmans/seamans kick in $2400 over their first two years.

On one hand I don't give a gently caress because FYGM SMDFTB if you're still in, but I think it's a bit ridiculous for new vets to expect the public to continue to pay billions so dipshits can get a rhetoric degree (sup Blue Squares, how's that great american novel coming?) in the highest paying BAH zipcode they can find.

http://taskandpurpose.com/exclusive-gi-bill-reform-memorial-day/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
When I die I want all of my group project members from my time in college to be my pall bearers so they can let me down one more time :negative:

Oh well, graduate certificate earned.

edit: also degree shaming is so :rolleye: it isn't even funny

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 19, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

RichieHimself posted:

I guess people finally heard how dope the new Gi Bill is, congress wants to change it so new privates/airmans/seamans kick in $2400 over their first two years.

On one hand I don't give a gently caress because FYGM SMDFTB if you're still in, but I think it's a bit ridiculous for new vets to expect the public to continue to pay billions so dipshits can get a rhetoric degree (sup Blue Squares, how's that great american novel coming?) in the highest paying BAH zipcode they can find.

i think it is a fair thing to do. i also think they should only allow it for employable degrees. but that would probably lead to a mess of a debate that isn't worth it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got assigned a group project in a gen ed class and I'm literally retarded and I now understand all you guys pain re group projects.

When I'm the stellar performer you should be loving ashamed.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

i think it is a fair thing to do. i also think they should only allow it for employable degrees. but that would probably lead to a mess of a debate that isn't worth it.

wouldn't that just flood the employable degrees fields and make them less employable

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please define "employable degree" cuz we are like two or three posts away from a reddit-esque STEM circlejerk and fart huffing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
STEM STEM STEM STEM

some joke about underwater basket weaving

edit: God drat your edit

edit2: and to be clear I'm on your side I should have said "employable"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

My personal opinion is that we should be reducing barriers to veteran retraining and education not raising them.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Ban veterans and ban claiming any veteran-related benefits; the two will play off each other and we won't have ANY more problems with anything

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Please define "employable degree" cuz we are like two or three posts away from a reddit-esque STEM circlejerk and fart huffing.

in that very post i acknowledged that it is pretty arbitrary and probably not worth trying to talk about

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Get your degree then enlist again

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I always thought underwater basket weaving was like, weaving baskets while scuba diving, but it's only the basket that's underwater.

Also it's pretty fun. Would recommend.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

For the most part, no degree is a waste if you have a plan and your degree fits into that plan. The new GI Bill rules and I hope Congress makes some common sense changes to how it's funded and used (for profit schools and dependents gtfo) so it's around for the vets of Iraq War III and IV.

I think we're currently at an unsustainable level of civilian hard on for veterans. Once people realize just how much money things like the VA and GI Bill actually cost (and when money starts getting pulled from things that directly impact the civilian), that boner is going to be long gone.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 19, 2017

App13
Dec 31, 2011

The best way to get someone to stop thanking you for your service is to tell them how much you get for BAH

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

The best way to get someone to stop thanking you for your service is to tell them how much you get for BAH

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

App13 posted:

"Thank you for your service"

"Nah, thank YOU for my three bedroom townhouse."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

App13 posted:

Surprisingly most students who ask about my program are chuffed. Then again, I go to a rich school and they feel bad that I am living paycheck to paycheck until my disability gets sorted.

RichieHimself posted:

I think they should make it so that you can go for a trade school if you want to.

Bumping it up to 2400 isn't bad. I did the 1200 easily. Funny thing is, is a lot of troop don't even loving use it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The depressing thing is I don't know a single loving vet that actually attended school afterwards

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm sure I've said it before, but a really common theme from combat arms dickheads like myself is that college is for faggots

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Current school status: I graduate in a week and a half

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The depressing thing is I don't know a single loving vet that actually attended school afterwards

not caring here posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, but a really common theme from combat arms dickheads like myself is that college is for faggots
It really seems like from Navy/USMC Corpsmen were the exception to that rule because in six years, of the dudes I worked with there's three of us in medical school, two or three guys going for their PA and like a dozen or so nurses. Weirdly all the guys who went to C School for advanced tech positions are just working the same job outside, but they're mostly associate degree jobs that pay like $25/h so that isn't terrible.

Of the Marines I knew basically none of them went anywhere, but there's a former grunt in my class, so they exist. There were several AF Vets at Penn while I was there, but I've yet to meet any Army in higher ed since getting out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

not caring here posted:

TheQuietWilds posted:

Of the Marines I knew basically none of them went anywhere, but there's a former grunt in my class, so they exist.

I was an 03, ended up with a bachelor's in English and an MFA in fiction, and I work as a contractor now doing strat comms and tech writing for the Coast Guard. All throughout college and grad school I still pretty much had the mindset that it was, in fact, for faggots, and that class was just another poo poo sandwich, only one I had to pay a whole lot of money for. Goes without saying but that attitude (and generally being a misanthropic, bragging fuckhead) was what made me the creepy guy at the party and left me with zero lasting friends.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I know a lot that tried and one that made it. He sells insurance now. Everyone else I know is selling cars or out night-sticking the colored folk or posting anti-government memes on Facebook while they pull unemployment. I don't talk to anyone from those days anymore which is kind of poo poo, really. But it makes me god drat glad I made it through school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Now that I think about it I don't know any vet friends save for two? who are in school.

I know some who go to American Northwestern Technical University of Miami Online but I don't count those as "school"

Some are doing some cool poo poo though. One guy flies helicopters for shrimp boats.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I know this LT that got out after a bad injury and ended up shrimp boats too, dudes pretty crazy though

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
If they make them start buying into the GI bill it makes it infinitely harder to take those benefits away. $2400 for the worlds greatest college scholarship is still a great deal.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If they make them start buying into the GI bill it makes it infinitely harder to take those benefits away. $2400 for the worlds greatest college scholarship is still a great deal.

This.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I know this LT that got out after a bad injury and ended up shrimp boats too, dudes pretty crazy though

Did he ever kick hookers out of his room?

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

not caring here posted:

I find this pretty true as well. Of the vet friends I am still in contact with, only one actually went to school and graduated. He was legit smart though, ended up getting grandfathered into a train union making bank. Two others live off their disability and love saying things like "school doesn't make you smart." One of them went to school for a semester but got into an argument with a professor and... he can't go back. I was just an 11B and now i'm studying mechanical engineering so what do I know.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

I've actually got a picture of me and him sitting on my bookshelf right now. Cool dude.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think my buddy met him at walter reed, yeah he's supposedly really huge into veterans poo poo

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
also i'm gonna throw this out there, me being a fuckup retard rifleman before I was a college human being and grad school gaylord:

it's worth it. do you want to have a job where you have your name on your shirt, or do you want to work from home smoking weed?

2x double-fag edit: My old man was an aircraft mechanic and I ran a hardware store for five years or so, so I don't mean to poo poo on the nametape field or nothing. But I'm 36 now and I'm happy to admit that middle age is a lot better when you have the sort of steady income level that a college degree can't entirely promise but may possibly offer, so long as you're a sociable enough human being.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 21, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well those same dudes are the ones whose whole identity was the army, a job in which you had your name on your shirt :/

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

well those same dudes are the ones whose whole identity was the army, a job in which you had your name on your shirt :/

That's what I'm saying. I understand that. When I was a weird 19-year-old back in 2000 looking for an objective view of right and wrong I was happy to get into the Marines and I was happy being one. I loved being out in the field. But corporals and sergeants told me to gently caress bitches, never get married, and blow my pay at the Driftwood down in Lejeune, all the while I was hearing about gunnies and first sergeants on their third and fourth divorces. The person the military makes you is a lot of fun, and it's good at being bad, but when you hit 35 or 40 you kind of wish you'd been less of an rear end in a top hat. My experience, anyway.

edit for clarity, now that I'm looking at things: I wasn't responding to you with that first post of mine, dude. It was much more of a general statement for the student veterans in this thread. I apologize if that post (and this reply) came off specific and heartless to your situation.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 21, 2017

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

3Romeo posted:

That's what I'm saying. I understand that. When I was a weird 19-year-old back in 2000 looking for an objective view of right and wrong I was happy to get into the Marines and I was happy being one. I loved being out in the field. But corporals and sergeants told me to gently caress bitches, never get married, and blow my pay at the Driftwood down in Lejeune, all the while I was hearing about gunnies and first sergeants on their third and fourth divorces. The person the military makes you is a lot of fun, and it's good at being bad, but when you hit 35 or 40 you kind of wish you'd been less of an rear end in a top hat. My experience, anyway.

edit for clarity, now that I'm looking at things: I wasn't responding to you with that first post of mine, dude. It was much more of a general statement for the student veterans in this thread. I apologize if that post (and this reply) came off specific and heartless to your situation.

I'm kinda drunk but this made me think of a lot of my old buddies I haven't seen in a bit. Pretty funny and also sad.

I dunno just googling "what's the best business school" and loving going for it worked out decently well and the vets club is actually legit except for a seal and a few overly moto dudes.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I'm kinda drunk

yeah me too. explains my first posting storm in about a billion years.

It's really loving weird and I hate it but SA's been around since forever (like, the planetquake days for me, despite my late-term account) and it's nice knowing that this place is here and you fuckheads are here to read about even though I never post in the thread. Anyway I'm gonna disappear for another couple years, hope you 2nd korean war vets can still find this a cool place to hang out, peace *~*~*~

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Beer is good and worth drinking when your roomie finally lands the job offer he needs to stay in the country. :toot:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

3Romeo posted:

yeah me too. explains my first posting storm in about a billion years.

It's really loving weird and I hate it but SA's been around since forever (like, the planetquake days for me, despite my late-term account) and it's nice knowing that this place is here and you fuckheads are here to read about even though I never post in the thread. Anyway I'm gonna disappear for another couple years, hope you 2nd korean war vets can still find this a cool place to hang out, peace *~*~*~

post more man just post and vent your dumb poo poo and make an rear end of yourself or whatever its good deeds

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I'm kinda drunk but this made me think of a lot of my old buddies I haven't seen in a bit. Pretty funny and also sad.

I dunno just googling "what's the best business school" and loving going for it worked out decently well and the vets club is actually legit except for a seal and a few overly moto dudes.

You go to Trump University!?

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Soulex posted:

You go to Trump University!?

I asked google and it said he's at the gently caress Youa School of Business at Duke. Assuming he went with the first hit.

I hope one day a giper will be so good a bizness that a school will name their program after them and eager students will attend SMDFTB business school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Finals week? Yeah sure, I guess I'll start that 15-20 page paper that's due Thursday.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

New art: Portrait using conte crayon. Took loving like 7 hours and I have an hour at least left. That paper is like 3 foot by 5.