Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does WonderBoy save your progress when you exit the game or do I need to right down these pig passwords?

It has autosave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It does. You can find passwords online though, which I'll have to do, because I beat the captain dragon while my son was in the bath and he was super mad he missed it. Then I beat the Shogun dragon while he was asleep.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

parallelodad posted:

The Switch version of Lego City is actually higher resolution than the Xbox One if you can believe it. Both are 1080 vertical rows but the Switch uses square pixels and the XB1 uses anamorphic stretched pixels.

Regardless of the resolution it still runs like dog poo poo on the switch in portable. Like 10 fps.

What's the best way to play galaxy? On the Wii or Wii U?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does WonderBoy save your progress when you exit the game or do I need to right down these pig passwords?
Screenshot it or use your cellphone camera. No need to write it down and possibly make a mistake.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Empress Brosephine posted:

It doesn't make a difference really since there's literal Wii hardware in the Wii U. I guess you can get slightly better imagine quality on Wii U due to it having HDMI.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Empress Brosephine posted:

They all use the same Wiimote/nunchuk/sensor bar setup, so I would say Wii U only if you don't have component cables for your Wii.

edit: god drat you sean mc ba(b)y

For like 10 years now I've been seeing your name and the guy with the tiny mohawk from EGM springs to mind every time

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 19, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
were the neon joy-cons a limited time thing? i want to get another set but don't want grey (or yellow) :ohdear:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

were the neon joy-cons a limited time thing? i want to get another set but don't want grey (or yellow) :ohdear:

I think everyone just prefers them, so they're never in stock.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bloodplay it again posted:

edit: god drat you sean mc ba(b)y

For like 10 years now I've been seeing your name and the guy with the tiny mohawk from EGM springs to mind every time

That's funny. I was just reading his Mark Discordia article again. I wonder if Mark still plays games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meridian posted:

Eonwe I will make you a retropie.

i could do that I guess!!!! I just really want them on my switch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nintendo really needs to set some standards of store displays because the lack of stock is making it look like Nintendo has zero products to sell and that the display is ready to be torn down. Both Best Buy and Target are barren wastelands of empty display cases, empty shelf hangers intermingled with random 3ds stuff and lovely 3rd party Wii and Wii U Accessories.

I mean, they have those "Switch" kiosks, but that's about it.

Best Buy doesn't even have the games in the Nintendo section, they had them all sitting on a table out front.

They really should have stock placeholder marketing materials filling out the empty shelves/hangers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

bull3964 posted:

Nintendo really needs to set some standards of store displays because the lack of stock is making it look like Nintendo has zero products to sell and that the display is ready to be turn down. Both Best Buy and Target are barren wastelands of empty display cases, empty shelf hangers intermingled with random 3ds stuff and lovely 3rd party Wii and Wii Accessories.

I mean, they have those "Switch" kiosks, but that's about it.

Best Buy doesn't even have the games in the Nintendo section, they had them all sitting on a table out front.

They really should have stock placeholder marketing materials filling out the empty shelves/hangers.

They do in GameStop. It's all display cases with the actual product behind the counter.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Imagine for a moment, if you will.

The Switch, but with Virtual Console.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

parallelodad posted:

Those are tricks. Just animated tiles over a segment of the screen.

Hey buddy get a load of this: all graphics is tricks. Just dots on your screen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parallelodad posted:

They do in GameStop. It's all display cases with the actual product behind the counter.

person picks up adaptor/joyconn/whatever box, takes it to counter

employee behind counter takes box, looks at the tiny pile of stuff behind them, shrugs and says "nope, got none"

person leaves store pissed as the employee re-hangs the empty box

repeat forever

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

:shittypop:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

parallelodad posted:

It bugs me whenever people refer to Shovel Knight as an 8-bit throwback. The only thing 8-bit about it is the voices used in the soundtrack and number of channels matches the Konami sound chip on some Famicom games. Everything else about it, from number of colors per sprite​, number of sprites on screen, parallax scrolling, number of buttons used, and so on is far more akin to SNES games and in actuality beyond it.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

They used four extra colors total throughout the game, didn't have audio channel dropout, and removed sprite flickering. Other than a few cheats to take advantage of modern technology, this is about as authentically NES as you can get, short of literally making an NES game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

person picks up adaptor/joyconn/whatever box, takes it to counter

employee behind counter takes box, looks at the tiny pile of stuff behind them, shrugs and says "nope, got none"

person leaves store pissed and vows to never return as the employee re-hangs the empty box

repeat forever

:same:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's why I said marketing materials (being clear it's not in stock) but at least showing what's available and just out of stock or coming soon.

Nintendo section looks like a yard sale right now in these stores.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I am imaging the Wii U

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

a.lo posted:

I am imaging the Wii U

It's not portable

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Well, the Switch is finally totally sold out in Sweden. I've checked it a few times since I didn't think it would sell out at loving $415, but there you go

It's a pretty good console, I wish Nintendo would re-release its entire catalog for it oh and do sequels to all those good games, and stuff like
  • A Kid Icarus-themed roguelike
  • I still want to believe Xenoblade will hit this year
  • A new Mario RPG with none of the gimmicky bullshit
  • Well those are all well and good Nintendo but what I'd really like is to be surprised

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Thanks for the advice on Setsuna, I'll pass simply because the story doesn't seem to be up to par on CT. I wish they would continue that series with the time travel mechanic because it's such a goldmine but I guess that train has long since left the station.

One thing I would like to see on the Switch would be them to port over the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess so that can I and others can really enjoy those remakes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

parallelodad posted:

Those are tricks. Just animated tiles over a segment of the screen.

It accomplishes the same thing (tricking your eye into perceiving depth) and that's all that matters.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

404notfound posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidDAngelo/20140625/219383/Breaking_the_NES_for_Shovel_Knight.php

They used four extra colors total throughout the game, didn't have audio channel dropout, and removed sprite flickering. Other than a few cheats to take advantage of modern technology, this is about as authentically NES as you can get, short of literally making an NES game.

Well, that's not all. They increased the horizontal resolution, made the color palette non-uniform, and allowed screen shake effects both vertically and horizontally.

I don't really care about attacking or defending Shovel Knight, I just don't think it's any more impressive of an 8-bit tribute than something like, say, Artifact Adventure or Curse of Issyos or much of the Game Center CX games. The only difference is that Yacht Club games made a post talking about how close they got to NES specs and other developers didn't. Shovel Knight isn't really that special in that regard.

I think the real question is whether it actually evokes the nostalgic feelings it wants to. For me it doesn't, but it doesn't really have much to do with the number of sprites on screen or anything else that technical.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nickoten posted:

Well, that's not all. They increased the horizontal resolution, made the color palette non-uniform, and allowed screen shake effects both vertically and horizontally.

I don't really care about attacking or defending Shovel Knight, I just don't think it's any more impressive of an 8-bit tribute than something like, say, Artifact Adventure or Curse of Issyos or much of the Game Center CX games. The only difference is that Yacht Club games made a post talking about how close they got to NES specs and other developers didn't. Shovel Knight isn't really that special in that regard.

People call it an 8 bit throwback because it looks like an 8 bit game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:rolleyes:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lemming posted:

People call it an 8 bit throwback because it looks like an 8 bit game

That's what I think makes more sense. I made a stealth edit (too late) to point that out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Why aren't duramboros and qurpeco in this dumb sf ii on switch?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Here's an 8-bit game

you get to read one bit and/or change one, then it's my turn again

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Here's an 8-bit game

you get to read one bit and/or change one, then it's my turn again

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
01001001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001110 01101001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01101110 01100100 01101111 00100000 01010011 01110111 01101001 01110100 01100011 01101000 00100001

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

(read bit 4, didn't change)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Junkie Disease posted:

Why aren't duramboros and qurpeco in this dumb sf ii on switch?

Duramboros' spin move is too op, and integral to the character, so he's out. Quropeco they've teased as a secret midboss. Halfway through the fight he fucks off and a buffed zangeif crawls out of the ground. Looks intense.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

01001001 00100000 01101100 01101001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01001110 01101001 01101110 01110100 01100101 01101110 01100100 01101111 00100000 01010011 01110111 01101001 01110100 01100011 01101000 00100001

Look dude we can do this seriously or we might as well not do this at all :colbert:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Give me Bust-A-Move or give me death.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That's not a loving 8-bit game, it has an online multiplayer component, you fake. :colbert:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Look dude we can do this seriously or we might as well not do this at all :colbert:

Sorry, I was just going for an idealized version of a throwback game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's not a loving 8-bit game, it has an online multiplayer component, you fake. :colbert:

Oh sorry about that let's use this granite abacus instead that I'll throw RIGHt in you're FACE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Beastie posted:

Give me Bust-A-Move or give me death.

bust-a-move owns and would be great with the each player gets a joycon so you can always MP without having a second controller

• Locked thread