Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just eat congee.
And daal and every variation on porridge invented by every culture and cuisine in history for dealing with the problem of feeding people who can't chew before the advent of blender technology.

When I was making food for someone recovering from jaw surgery I made it a point to never repeat two meals in a row, to make at least one in three something that I hadn't given them before, and to never loving do the goddamn lol sandwich in the blender horseshit. Ran out of convalescence time before running out of new poo poo to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You don't know that, he might be making dosas every day.

are you referencing Dino grandma story? because I'm pretty sure it just overheated. I had a heart attack the first time mine did when I was making cashew butter and taking way longer than I should have.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

SubG posted:

And daal and every variation on porridge invented by every culture and cuisine in history for dealing with the problem of feeding people who can't chew before the advent of blender technology.

When I was making food for someone recovering from jaw surgery I made it a point to never repeat two meals in a row, to make at least one in three something that I hadn't given them before, and to never loving do the goddamn lol sandwich in the blender horseshit. Ran out of convalescence time before running out of new poo poo to make.

I am writing out recipes and meal ideas every time I encounter one or think of one. Aside from the obvious smoothies with protein, I will make a coconut milk rice pudding and blend it up a bit, I can have miso with finely chopped tofu, I found some recipes for home made pudding I can add unflavoured protein powder to, potato leak soup, tomato soup, pureed squash and pureed potatoes, custard. I can make a red lentil daal and mash it with a hand blender.

More ideas are welcome because obviously I lit that recipe book on fire and watched it burn.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

my wife just had her wisdom teeth removed. She ate a lot of mashed potatoes, extra soggy bread dressing, miso, broths. You could also do borscht pureed, almost any veg soup really.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Dunno why, but you just reminded me that Vitamixes have a "soup" function where you add raw ingredients and it makes hot soup by blending until friction creates enough heat :downs:

Kinda want to make some Vitamix dump soups just for fun, now.

Also works well for making ice cream bases just dump the ingredients in and let it mix till it reads 170-185 on a digital thermometer, strain, and chill it down

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Echeveria posted:

I am writing out recipes and meal ideas every time I encounter one or think of one. Aside from the obvious smoothies with protein, I will make a coconut milk rice pudding and blend it up a bit, I can have miso with finely chopped tofu, I found some recipes for home made pudding I can add unflavoured protein powder to, potato leak soup, tomato soup, pureed squash and pureed potatoes, custard. I can make a red lentil daal and mash it with a hand blender.

More ideas are welcome because obviously I lit that recipe book on fire and watched it burn.
Potato leek soup/vichyssoise is fine by itself, but it's also the basis for any number of classic veg soups which are commonly made with puréed vegetables. E.g. Potage Crécy is invariably made with puréed carrots, and while soupe aux haricots verts is sometimes made with the beans julienned it's more common to see it with them puréed. And there are roughly a million regional variations of soupe aux pois/pea soup. Peas are a pretty good source of protein. Corn too, and there are a similar number of corn chowder varieties.

And then there are porridges. There's congee, which isn't a dish but an entire genre, with many distinct Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and so on variations. And that's just rice. There are classic porridges made with just about every cereal crop, as well as things like mung beans (which are another good source of protein).

It really just depends on what your personal proclivities and tastes are.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

GrAviTy84 posted:

my wife just had her wisdom teeth removed. She ate a lot of mashed potatoes, extra soggy bread dressing, miso, broths. You could also do borscht pureed, almost any veg soup really.

There is a possibility my jaw will be wired shut for 4 weeks, but regardless, there is absolutely no chewing for 6 weeks. The first week is expected to be pretty thin and watery since it's likely I'll be quite swollen, and I've been told I'm being given a large syringe and catheter tubing to just shove down my throat.

Borscht is an option. Protein is an issue because I am allergic to dairy, so your usual milk shake, yogurt bases are off the table for me. Also I am quite thin and they say to expect to lose 10-20 pounds during the 6 weeks. 10 pounds on my 6 foot frame would make me look like skeletor.

SubG posted:

I'll make congee, and I like savory soups. Just no pureed bacon and eggs huuurgh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

are you referencing Dino grandma story? because I'm pretty sure it just overheated. I had a heart attack the first time mine did when I was making cashew butter and taking way longer than I should have.

quote:

I've managed to burn through some beasts of a motor while grinding dosa batter. My mum ploughed through a VITA MIX.

Seems unclear unless Dino chimes in here

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Echeveria posted:

There is a possibility my jaw will be wired shut for 4 weeks, but regardless, there is absolutely no chewing for 6 weeks. The first week is expected to be pretty thin and watery since it's likely I'll be quite swollen, and I've been told I'm being given a large syringe and catheter tubing to just shove down my throat.

Borscht is an option. Protein is an issue because I am allergic to dairy, so your usual milk shake, yogurt bases are off the table for me. Also I am quite thin and they say to expect to lose 10-20 pounds during the 6 weeks. 10 pounds on my 6 foot frame would make me look like skeletor.

I'll make congee, and I like savory soups. Just no pureed bacon and eggs huuurgh

Why not like a Tamago Gohan congee, where you temper a raw egg in hot (in your case, very wet as well) rice with soy sauce, and splash a drop of liquid smoke on? Don't be afraid of raw eggs. And if you still are, get pasteurized raw eggs.

Also, this might be a bit weird, but avocado chocolate pudding is surprisingly edible. Actually, blended avocado with some lime juice and hot sauce would probably be good.

Good luck!

\/\/post recipes in english or stop making up words\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

theres also es pokat or sinh tố bơ

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

If you want a cheap backup plan for days you aren't hot to cook, a bag of split peas and some Better Than Bullion or whatever bullion paste make for an easy low-prep meal with a good amount of protein, and the ingredients keep for years. Paste usually has a little better flavor than cubes or powder.

It's one of my standbys, and my jaw isn't even wired shut.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Some good ideas, thanks guys.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Echeveria posted:

With no dairy to add protein it might be worth looking into something like gachas, which is basically a paste of flour, water, oil, and miscellaneous other poo poo. Like e.g. grits (or polenta) different varieties range in consistency from a thin soup or gruel to fried flatcakes. And various forms of it are a basic staple food for entire regions.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

\/\/post recipes in english or stop making up words\/\/
"avocado shake"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Potato leek soup/vichyssoise is fine by itself, but it's also the basis for any number of classic veg soups which are commonly made with puréed vegetables. E.g. Potage Crécy is invariably made with puréed carrots, and while soupe aux haricots verts is sometimes made with the beans julienned it's more common to see it with them puréed. And there are roughly a million regional variations of soupe aux pois/pea soup. Peas are a pretty good source of protein. Corn too, and there are a similar number of corn chowder varieties.

And then there are porridges. There's congee, which isn't a dish but an entire genre, with many distinct Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, and so on variations. And that's just rice. There are classic porridges made with just about every cereal crop, as well as things like mung beans (which are another good source of protein).

Chowder, you say? Obligatory chowder clip:
https://youtu.be/kaQKHakrVyg

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'd be OK with having an excuse to eat bisque every day tbh.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Hauki posted:

"avocado shake"

Thanks, from those of us in the back row who only have a firm grasp on one, maybe two languages.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
edit: I am interested in trying aged yak cheese which I just found out is a real thing

quote:

“At first taste, the cheese is disarmingly mild, with a clean, delicate milky flavor, which is totally different from sheep, cow, goat or mares’ milk cheeses. After about 30 seconds on the palate, the taster becomes aware of a growing complex of herbal notes, with the flavor continuing to develop and building to a crescendo in about 120 seconds. The afternotes are a clean,pleasant, fading collection of milky, herbal and sharp-sweet.”
source: https://culturecheesemag.com/cheese-bites/purity-yak-cheese

vermin fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 19, 2017

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

vermin posted:

edit: I am interested in trying aged yak cheese which I just found out is a real thing

If it's anything like Yak, I'm good. That poo poo was nasty. Tasted more wooly than a freezer burned goat that died of old age.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

any good food like walking distance from dupont circle? Don't remember what all we did last time I was there.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Echeveria posted:

They said no chewing for 6 weeks for me, but extended it to 8.5. So fair warning there. I had a lot of congestion in my nose so warm broths were very, very welcome in that first week.

I had only elastics, so it wasn't long before I was able to have very soft veggies whole (you can mash them with your tongue) and anything you're willing to swallow whole or mash with a fork.

You got a lot of good meals from the thread so I can't really add anything. I was 16, too, so on top of being a lazy teenager, my mom cooked most of the meals, at the time. I had a lot of store brand meal replacement shakes and unsweetened babyfood instant oatmeal for my lazy snacks.

I didn't have to worry much about my weight (I lost like 10 pounds, but I was 180/5'8" before surgery so lol) but I did have to worry a lot about Iron being a lady.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I had my wisdom teeth taken out a few years ago, I ate three things: congee, bovril, and toast dipped in bovril.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This might be a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried using Vicks nasal spray to open up their nasal passages in order to smell aromas better and therefore strengthen the flavor of the foods they were eating?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a stupid question, but ....

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

use wasabi

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried using Vicks nasal spray to open up their nasal passages in order to smell aromas better and therefore strengthen the flavor of the foods they were eating?

You can also bring mint chip ice cream up to around 140°F before eating drinking. Hurts the texture a bit but makes the oils more volatile

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

This might be a stupid question
Correct

quote:

, but has anyone ever tried using Vicks nasal spray to open up their nasal passages in order to smell aromas better and therefore strengthen the flavor of the foods they were eating?
you'd have better luck blowing your nose so you're no longer nose-blind from the aromatics hanging around inside.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if medicating your nasal cavity makes an appreciable difference in your ability to taste food you probably want to see a doctor about that

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

any good food like walking distance from dupont circle? Don't remember what all we did last time I was there.

14th Street and the surrounding area has a lot of new hip places. It's not that far from dupont I used to work at Le Diplomate and I would walk there from the metro a few times a week.
Le Diplomate is good if maybe a little overpriced. The bread and desserts are the best parts of the menu. Lots of people rave about the drinks menu.

DC dining thread is here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926&pagenumber=22&perpage=40
Might help asking there just to give it a bump up.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

14th Street and the surrounding area has a lot of new hip places. It's not that far from dupont I used to work at Le Diplomate and I would walk there from the metro a few times a week.
Le Diplomate is good if maybe a little overpriced. The bread and desserts are the best parts of the menu. Lots of people rave about the drinks menu.

DC dining thread is here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529926&pagenumber=22&perpage=40
Might help asking there just to give it a bump up.

Sadly it's archived, so I can't post there.

I'm staying at the washington hilton for a week plus for work, won't have a vehicle and may be short on free time, so yeah, anything that's like a reasonable walk from that area

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if medicating your nasal cavity makes an appreciable difference in your ability to taste food you probably want to see a doctor about that

The best part is imagining cooking for a hot date. "Hey baby, sorry, I've been trying to cut my sodium intake by 0.5%, and I've figured out how to season food to a Vicks palate. Here, I bought you your own nasal spray!"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

Sadly it's archived, so I can't post there.

I'm staying at the washington hilton for a week plus for work, won't have a vehicle and may be short on free time, so yeah, anything that's like a reasonable walk from that area

14th streets even close then. There's so many bars and cheap places around there your bound to find some place that hits whatever type of food your looking for on any given day. There's a great pizza place right around the corner from the Hilton that serves slices bigger than your head.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I may make a bold statement:

"The first sniff of piping hot pho, dressed with basil and green onions, is one of the seven wonders of the world."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's drat good for a cold, I can tell you that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always put my nose practically in the bowl and take a deep whiff as soon as I get it. Something about the smell just makes me happy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I always put my nose practically in the bowl and take a deep whiff as soon as I get it. Something about the smell just makes me happy.

We're not still talking about Pr0k's mom, are we?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

If I may make a bold statement:

"The first sniff of piping hot pho, dressed with basil and green onions, is one of the seven wonders of the world."

if I may make a bold statement:

"work on your prose."

but yeah pho is pretty loving great.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

mindphlux posted:

if I may make a bold statement:

"work on your prose."
thanks ee cummings

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

This recent subdiscussion leads me to believe a lot of y'all have never had bun bo hue.

edit, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some pho dac biet with some nuoc beo. It's something I crave a lot, but as far as asian, nay, vietnamese noodle soups to get a food boner over, it's pretty low on my list.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

This recent subdiscussion leads me to believe a lot of y'all have never had bun bo hue.

edit, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love me some pho dac biet with some nuoc beo. It's something I crave a lot, but as far as asian, nay, vietnamese noodle soups to get a food boner over, it's pretty low on my list.

I don't know if there's a blanket word for "noodle soup" in Vietnam, as they seem to name these things after noodle type + predominant meat, but yes I will take all-of-the-above.