Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

Essentially, yeah. They've been breeding Super Mutants for no reason other than to breed them for decades! Assholes. The scientist who invented Cazadores would be proud.

Or that they carried out a convoluted scheme to get untainted prewar genes in order to make their bipedal Mr. Handys look more human or something I guess? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
My only Institute run was my first run, and then I forgot about them forever because what's the point? There's absolutely no end-game reward for siding with them, as far as I can tell. At least the BoS has power armor and a quartermaster.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gobblecoque posted:

Or that they carried out a convoluted scheme to get untainted prewar genes in order to make their bipedal Mr. Handys look more human or something I guess? :lol:

They also never thought to just grab someone born in Vault 81 because

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Because there would be more, likely armed, resistance than one groggy popsicle?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

turn off the TV posted:

I think that being cryogenically frozen had something to do with it, because :techno: :techno: :techno: ? I dunno.

Still, the writing for the Institute sucks even worse balls than the rest, and that's saying something. I mean, the Little Shaun synth? What purpose does that serve, at all? Nothing. The player goes "whaa whaa I've found my baby!! wait what's wrong???" for 30 seconds, then he's forgotten. wtf?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

7c Nickel posted:

Because there would be more, likely armed, resistance than one groggy popsicle?

There are Vault 81 residents who leave the vault. They even show up as random encounters. Nothing seems to have stopped the Institute from nabbing anyone out in the Commonwealth.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

And they toke the baby and killed everyone other than you for raisins, as apposed to bringing everyone or just keeping them on ice in case the baby didn't work out.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gynovore posted:

I think that being cryogenically frozen had something to do with it, because :techno: :techno: :techno: ? I dunno.

Still, the writing for the Institute sucks even worse balls than the rest, and that's saying something. I mean, the Little Shaun synth? What purpose does that serve, at all? Nothing. The player goes "whaa whaa I've found my baby!! wait what's wrong???" for 30 seconds, then he's forgotten. wtf?

Little Shaun comes up again later.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Back Hack posted:

And they toke the baby and killed everyone other than you for raisins, as apposed to bringing everyone or just keeping them on ice in case the baby didn't work out.

I thought that everyone else was killed on accident and only the player's family survives because

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gynovore posted:

Mmm no? Whether you side with or against the Institute synth Shaun is involved at the end.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

horse mans posted:

My only Institute run was my first run, and then I forgot about them forever because what's the point? There's absolutely no end-game reward for siding with them, as far as I can tell. At least the BoS has power armor and a quartermaster.

My Institute playthrough was my best one.

The BoS aren't as benevolent as they'd like people to believe. By attempting to control all technology, they're trying to enslave the people in a way.

The Institute's goals are more understandable even though they're going about it the wrong way. And they're pretty upfront about what they're doing; they don't try to hide anything.

The Railroad tries to present itself as being better than both but in many ways they're worse than either one. They think they know what's best for all synths and attempt to force their "help" on all of them, even the ones who just want to be left alone.

The Institute has the best looking power armor paint, so there's that. And their base is pretty drat sweet. There's also something that's really fun about them in the Far Harbor DLC that I honestly thought Bethesda wouldn't even think about, but they did, which left me pleasantly surprised:

If you're the leader of the Institute when you find the synth colony, you can go back to the Institute HQ and order them to conduct a raid on the colony. Led by you, of course. They will even set up a base camp in Far Harbor and will attack on your command. It's so fun to just go in and wipe out all the synths. :getin:

...! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 19, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I don't think Shaun really thought through his plan all that much, considering he ended up with a .44 magnum round through the skull the second he rounded the corner the first time I played through that segment.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think Shaun really thought through his plan all that much, considering he ended up with a .44 magnum round through the skull the second he rounded the corner the first time I played through that segment.

Lol same

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

...! posted:

The Institute's goals are more understandable even though they're going about it the wrong way. And they're pretty upfront about what they're doing; they don't try to hide anything.

Which are exactly? It's never been clear for me what the Institute's goals are, because they say one thing and then do the complete opposite half the time.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 20, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Back Hack posted:

Which are exactly? It's never been clear for me what the Institute's goals are, because they say one and then do the complete opposite half the time.

More science and security for us. gently caress you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

...! posted:

The Institute has the best looking power armor paint, so there's that. And their base is pretty drat sweet. There's also something that's really fun about them in the Far Harbor DLC that I honestly thought Bethesda wouldn't even think about, but they did, which left me pleasantly surprised:

If you're the leader of the Institute when you find the synth colony, you can go back to the Institute HQ and order them to conduct a raid on the colony. Led by you, of course. They will even set up a base camp in Far Harbor and will attack on your command. It's so fun to just go in and wipe out all the synths. :getin:

The Brotherhood has the same thing, you can go talk to them and they'll send Power Armor Mans to go exterminate Acadia. Assuming Lancer Captain Kells' dialogue isn't broken, which is rare.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Holy moly, these Vault 88 lines from the male VA seem like they were all done in one take, they sound super loving weird.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Which are exactly? It's never been clear for me what the Institute's goals are, because they say one thing and then do the complete opposite half the time.
To keep mankind from repeating the same mistakes that lead to the end of the world in the first place. To do this, they have to make sure the technology that ended the world isn't in unscrupulous hands, i.e. pretty much everyone else in the wasteland.

That's about it really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lurdiak posted:

Holy moly, these Vault 88 lines from the male VA seem like they were all done in one take, they sound super loving weird.

Ashes go HOME! Erin misses you!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Deceitful Penguin posted:

To keep mankind from repeating the same mistakes that lead to the end of the world in the first place. To do this, they have to make sure the technology that ended the world isn't in unscrupulous hands, i.e. pretty much everyone else in the wasteland.

That's about it really.

And what does replacing people with synths do to that goal?
They're pretty unscrupulous themselves.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Marenghi posted:

And what does replacing people with synths do to that goal?
They're pretty unscrupulous themselves.
what no, whoops that was the brotherhood I just described

The motives of the Institute are :evil: and :science:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Deceitful Penguin posted:

what no, whoops that was the brotherhood I just described

The motives of the Institute are :evil: and :science:

All enabled by a complete lack of consequence for their actions.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ashes go HOME! Erin misses you!

Yeah, that line is delivered badly, but that wasn't what made that moment so baffling and surreal. It's the fact that you just yelled at a cat and then appealed to its emotions to try and get it to come back. And it worked. I don't think anyone at Bethesda has ever interacted with a real cat before.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.

aniviron posted:

Yeah, that line is delivered badly, but that wasn't what made that moment so baffling and surreal. It's the fact that you just yelled at a cat and then appealed to its emotions to try and get it to come back. And it worked. I don't think anyone at Bethesda has ever interacted with a real cat before.

IMO would have been pretty funny if you had to drop your weapon to hold Ashes and then run an unarmed gauntlet through legendary bloodbugs or hounds or whatever only to return to 88 near death for absolutely no tangible reward.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

You mean like the rest of the entire game?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

B. Birdsworth posted:

IMO would have been pretty funny if you had to drop your weapon to hold Ashes and then run an unarmed gauntlet through legendary bloodbugs or hounds or whatever only to return to 88 near death for absolutely no tangible reward.

Should have made it like the quest with the goat in Witcher 3. "Yao-Guai! Run you stupid piece of poo poo!"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gobblecoque posted:

Should have made it like the quest with the goat in Witcher 3. "Yao-Guai! Run you stupid piece of poo poo!"

Just shot Pepsi out of my nose, thanks!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like it would've been better game design to make power armor drain cores faster, but only drain when in combat mode.

Then again, "Fallout 4: I feel like it would've been better game design to..."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't use power armor nearly as much as I could've because of the repair costs. I need those screws!

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I feel like it would've been better game design to make power armor drain cores faster, but only drain when in combat mode.

Then again, "Fallout 4: I feel like it would've been better game design to..."

Maybe, but the thing you have to realize is someone else would inevitably be going "I feel like it would've been better game design to make power armor drain cores way slower, but also drain out of combat." At least with mods you can tell the game exactly how you would like your balls stomped.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I actually think power armour was designed pretty well in FO4. The fluff in all the games including FO1 and FO2, describes them as game changers. It's about time they turned you into Iron Man instead of some poo poo Wizard of Oz cosplay.

Constantly draining fuel cells makes sense too as their benefits are many and constant, not just for combat this time. The main issue is that by mid-game you're swimming in fuel cells so there's no need to ration their usage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And again, too drat many suits of armor. It robs them of feeling special.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Weavered posted:

I actually think power armour was designed pretty well in FO4. The fluff in all the games including FO1 and FO2, describes them as game changers. It's about time they turned you into Iron Man instead of some poo poo Wizard of Oz cosplay.

Constantly draining fuel cells makes sense too as their benefits are many and constant, not just for combat this time. The main issue is that by mid-game you're swimming in fuel cells so there's no need to ration their usage.

Yeah this. Going all I AM IRON MAAAAAAAAAAAAANN!! should at the very least require an investment in perk points.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Weavered posted:

It was top tier armour in FO2. I also seem to recall them being powerful in New Vegas with the DT system.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Marenghi posted:

It was top tier armour in FO2. I also seem to recall them being powerful in New Vegas with the DT system.

It's a question of production values, but PA didn't have its own animations in 3/nv (besides being slightly slower I think), so it looked like you were wearing a cardboard costume. Especially when swimming.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 24, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Of course it was the top tier armour, has been in all the games.

FO4 was the only one that let you jump off sky scrapers tho. :colbert:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rinkles posted:

I agree that there are way too many PA frames out in the world, but I actually feel like there aren't enough enemies wearing it, unless you decide to fight the Brotherhood of Steel. It would've been pretty cool if some high level Gunners spawned with T-45 and T-50 armor.

Rinkles posted:

It's a question of production values, but PA didn't have its own animations in 3/nv (besides being slightly slower I think), so it looked like you were wearing a cardboard costume. Especially when swimming.

It's not just animations. In Fallout 4 Power Armor has its own skeleton, so it's not constrained at all by the regular human skeleton for its animations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Use Some Assmebly Required: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12050/ Removes almost all the random leveled power armor frames in the wasteland, and replaces them with either a few non-leveled parts or with a generic loot trunk. The better bits of armor are scattered around the wasteland for you to find, and there's only one of each kind of X-01 piece, you have to go on a lot of wide-ranging exploration to collect a full suit. Makes you really appreciate the bits you do find. It also makes power armor a lot tougher, but much harder to repair- you need to invest in armorer and nuclear physicist to repair things as they get more advanced, so there's actually a reason to not just run around in X-01 all the time if you can't repair it.

Marenghi posted:

Was definitely not worth it in FNV. T-51b nets you a whopping 2 extra DT compared to the better medium armors in the game, 25 vs 23 (29 vs 31 with helmets) ; which comes at the expense of weighing more than twice as much as them, slowing your movement speed, and destroying your ability to sneak. A lot of the better medium armors in that game also come with significant bonuses as part of their armor sets instead of the +1STR and AGL penalty that power armor has. Given that power armor is rare, requires a perk that is time-consuming to get, and very expensive to repair, you'd think it would be top-tier poo poo, but no, it's actually probably worse than the alternatives.

At least JSawyer fixes that, giving the armor a carry weight bonus so it carries itself (as makes sense), and gives it DR in addition to its DT.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 24, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

I agree that there are way too many PA frames out in the world, but I actually feel like there aren't enough enemies wearing it, unless you decide to fight the Brotherhood of Steel. It would've been pretty cool if some high level Gunners spawned with T-45 and T-50 armor.

Yeah I can remember when I spied my first raider in raider power armour and got really pumped as we chased each other around one of the apartment areas with different layers. Eventually took him down with a hail of bullets and grenades. Was good times.

Not quite the same when later on you can one/two shot them in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Another problem with FO4 Power Armor is how fast it breaks down, especially if you try to get your companions to wear it. It shouldn't be unbreakable, but repairing it after every firefight is just a bit much

• Locked thread