Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's just way too easy to date it to the early 2000s and Iraq. Totally rips you out of the story. And I stopped watching it before the part everyone says it goes way off the rails, so I can't imagine how terrible the 3rd season onwards is.

It's not. Even the most die hard BSG hater doesn't think it went off the rails until well into season three.

The second part of season 4 has one of the best plot arcs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
When did Gaius show up on the Cylon ship? Because that's about where I stopped watching.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dunno, been a while. Up through Exodus is the very minimum but you should watch all of it, goons are dumb about TV.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Dunno, been a while. Up through Exodus is the very minimum but you should watch all of it, goons are dumb about TV.

Just don't watch the extended version of Unfinished Business episode, you may die of boredom.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Galactica ends when New Caprica gets occupied. Everything that happens after that is the President hallucinating while dying form cancer.

And while we're on head-canon; Terminator, Terminator 2, the Animatrix, and The Matrix form a single discrete continuity. The time travel in the first two is just a cover.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
BSG is baaaaaaaaaad. Real bad.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Zzulu posted:

Imagine Timothy Olyphant playing Holden instead :stare:

Plant guy would be a smear on the wall

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zzulu posted:

Imagine Timothy Olyphant playing Holden instead :stare:

Olyphant is really good at "compressed ball of pure rage." That might make Holden interesting, but that's a different character altogether.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

BSG is baaaaaaaaaad. Real bad.

Nah, in fact it was better than the show this thread is for. 33 is up there with the best first episodes of anything ever, and there were a lot of great arcs along the way. The show didn't stick the landing, but nobody's perfect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This show is so head and shoulders above BSG or any other scifi TV show it's just insane. It's a class of it's own really. Every other show has been science fantasy, some good, some bad, but it's all the genre of science fantasy. This is like the first true science fiction show, plus it has a much more interesting plot and characters.

Everyone in BSG was such a broken PTSD rage/drama machine that got stuck turned up to 11 I just couldn't enjoy it, and the series-wide plot was awful. There's some good episodes, the occupation stuff was pretty good but seems dated and post 9/11 as gently caress, and after that point it went unwatchably off the rails with characters managing to turn their single dimensional extreme caricatures of them selves up to 12.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Over in the Trek thread someone posted a graph of the nielsen ratings of the four 80s-present Trek series. You can more or less map the shows in order of production to the four seasons of BSG and get the same thing.

TNG (and BSG S1) are strong overall, with a phenomenal premiere and equally phenomenal finale. DS9 (and BSG S2) starts strong, and while it weakens a bit towards the end it's still great. VOY (and BSG S3) starts strong and then spirals downhill. ENT (and BSG S4) sucks hard and the finale shits on everything you love.

And now I'm sitting here hoping The Expanse doesn't map out the same way.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I enjoyed early BSG but I do think early season 3 is when I lost interest. It was when it became clear that none of the characters were learning anything and were just becoming shittier and shittier people.

When Old Man Stern Dad, the emotional heart of the show, is denying that the Abu Ghraib rape prison is a crime then yeah, no thanks.

Or basically:

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone in BSG was such a broken PTSD rage/drama machine that got stuck turned up to 11 I just couldn't enjoy it, and the series-wide plot was awful. There's some good episodes, the occupation stuff was pretty good but seems dated and post 9/11 as gently caress, and after that point it went unwatchably off the rails with characters managing to turn their single dimensional extreme caricatures of them selves up to 12.

Also I once looked up the (semi?) official descriptions of the twelve colonies out of interest and it basically gave their name and then their levels of state torture and/or religious extremism :911:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I unashamedly loved Battlestar throughout the whole series and I am glad of it.

Here's hoping The Expanse does the same.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

I enjoyed early BSG but I do think early season 3 is when I lost interest. It was when it became clear that none of the characters were learning anything and were just becoming shittier and shittier people.

When Old Man Stern Dad, the emotional heart of the show, is denying that the Abu Ghraib rape prison is a crime then yeah, no thanks.

Or basically:

Also I once looked up the (semi?) official descriptions of the twelve colonies out of interest and it basically gave their name and then their levels of state torture and/or religious extremism :911:

Picon was space Canada with universal healthcare and everything. Its even has a thriving entertainment industry! :canada:

Clearly the best of the 12 colonies.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2017

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Baronjutter posted:

This show is so head and shoulders above BSG or any other scifi TV show it's just insane

It's not, yet. It's a very solid package: hard SF stylings, a story focused on political maneuvering between peer states and the little guys caught underfoot, and a strong cast around the placeholder central character.

But it hasn't found a spark yet. It competently executes a good story. The characters have motives which they explain clearly, and conflicts between these motives drive the story. It is Fine. It hasn't achieved anything like Walter White screaming in the crawlspace, or Where The gently caress is Wallace, or the dream fish in The Sopranos, or BSG's first episode, or BSG's music, or any of the high points of BSG's first two seasons. It's a good product. It's not a star yet.

Like look at this loving battle scene. Look how well directed it is. This is what The Expanse needs to hit.

edit: gently caress, has the Resurrection Ship battle just vanished from the Internet?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I have high hopes that The Expanse will one day give me something that will make my jaw drop like the first time I watched the Galactica launching Vipers while falling straight towards New Caprica and jumping away at the last moment.

The entire exodus sequence is phenomenal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hated the battles in BSG because it was just more "WWII dogfights in space" super close range starwars stuff.

If you ain't looking something like this, I ain't interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIh4Xw2bnQ

(warping into the atmosphere was super cool though)

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 19, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kazinsal posted:

I have high hopes that The Expanse will one day give me something that will make my jaw drop like the first time I watched the Galactica launching Vipers while falling straight towards New Caprica and jumping away at the last moment.

The entire exodus sequence is phenomenal.

Man that part was so good because I didn't know what was happening till it was well underway.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

This. It's so horrifically dated and suffers really badly from being transparently FOR TV writing. The allegories are hamfisted and the characters are one-note walking taglines. And it became clear just a few episodes in that there wasn't any kind of decent plan, but that was par for the course for that era of TV, I think. The Expanse is clearly Going Somewhere.

General Battuta posted:

But it hasn't found a spark yet. It competently executes a good story. The characters have motives which they explain clearly, and conflicts between these motives drive the story. It is Fine. It hasn't achieved anything like Walter White screaming in the crawlspace, or Where The gently caress is Wallace, or the dream fish in The Sopranos, or BSG's first episode, or BSG's music, or any of the high points of BSG's first two seasons. It's a good product. It's not a star yet.

This might be fair. The Expanse has TONS of little, awesome moments, but they mostly depend on context. The examples you give are something that you could show someone in a vacuum and they would realize pretty immediately they they are watching something really good. I dunno, though, Home might be flirting with it a little. But yeah, fair to say it's 99% entertaining but workmanlike, efficient television.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Very well said.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Baronjutter posted:

I hated the battles in BSG because it was just more "WWII dogfights in space" super close range starwars stuff.

The fighters at least maneuvered with RCS and didn't bank and loop like Star Wars fighters. I wouldn't expect a lot of long-range combat on this show, either. It's the norm in the books, but they'll probably decide that "those ships will reach effective firing range in 30 hours" doesn't make for riveting TV.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Nothing in The Expanse so far surpasses the brilliance of "33".

Of course, "33" is the first episode of Battlestar Galactica, and the show never quite manages to reach those heights again. And the show never manages to recover from the Occupation of New Caprica arc.

That scene where a slightly loopy Starbuck lectures Apollo about his saying "Stay safe out there" to his pilots is pretty much my favorite mil-SF moment ever.

Season 4 is going to be a little interesting considering how it should be all about the Belters (presumably Season 3 will be the rest of Caliban's War). Honestly the Belter creole could be a detriment to that story. It's so obviously fake and alien to the actors playing Belters, some of whom can't quite sell Belter as a language they grew up in.

Toast Museum posted:

The fighters at least maneuvered with RCS and didn't bank and loop like Star Wars fighters. I wouldn't expect a lot of long-range combat on this show, either. It's the norm in the books, but they'll probably decide that "those ships will reach effective firing range in 30 hours" doesn't make for riveting TV.
Yeah, the space battles in this season have been a lot of "orbit at point blank range and blast away with PDCs, which you are not armored against" and completely fail to reflect the super long range, high velocity railgun and torpedo duels from later in the series (including a big one which should pop up next season).

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 19, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Mars4523 posted:

Season 4 is going to be a little interesting considering how it should be all about the Belters (presumably Season 3 will be the rest of Caliban's War).

I don't see how they stretch it out that far, but presumably the last episode of Season 3 will be titled Abbadon's Gate, so. :shrug:

That's a lot of extra stuff (Dawes and the protomolecule missile, or a Nauvoo follow up?) and a super slow burn on Venus to get there.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Of course, "33" is the first episode of Battlestar Galactica, and the show never quite manages to reach those heights again. And the show never manages to recover from the Occupation of New Caprica arc.

That scene where a slightly loopy Starbuck lectures Apollo about his saying "Stay safe out there" to his pilots is pretty much my favorite mil-SF moment ever.

Season 4 is going to be a little interesting considering how it should be all about the Belters (presumably Season 3 will be the rest of Caliban's War). Honestly the Belter creole could be a detriment to that story. It's so obviously fake and alien to the actors playing Belters, some of whom can't quite sell Belter as a language they grew up in.

Yeah, the space battles in this season have been a lot of "orbit at point blank range and blast away with PDCs, which you are not armored against" and completely fail to reflect the super long range, high velocity railgun and torpedo duels from later in the series (including a big one which should pop up next season).

I recently purchased all seasons of BSG because i've never seen it before and heard good things about it. S1 was awesome and then it became such a slog, i think i stopped watching in season 3.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mars4523 posted:

There's not enough of Caliban's war for a full season. Probably gonna be the first 33% again

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG is worth seeing through once (and if you watched it when it was on the air, that was probably enough) but for all the reasons others have pointed out it doesn't really hold up upon rewatches, after awhile everyone just becomes a stupid rear end in a top hat and at the end everybody just decides to give up...? Whatever, it did a lot of things well enough that every sci fi show since then has tried to lift at least part of BSG's style. This is pretty understandable since until then pretty much the whole genre was stuck riffing on the Trek formula, I think the last show to change things up was Babylon 5 but it never had the impact on following shows that BSG did.

The Expanse hasn't hit the sheer emotional weight of scenes like the New Caprica rescue but as a series it's its own animal and feels like a proper science fiction story adapted for television, and overall I feel like it's been a more enjoyable experience than BSG was at this point in it's run.

And I mean what the gently caress else is there with spaceships in it right now, Dark Matter? Killjoys at least tries to have fun with itself but DM pisses me off at how much of a terrible throwback to 90s syndicated shows that weren't Star Trek or Xena were

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ZorajitZorajit posted:

And while we're on head-canon; Terminator, Terminator 2, the Animatrix, and The Matrix form a single discrete continuity. The time travel in the first two is just a cover.

This is way off topic. But there's a schizophrenic person who claims this is the case and that the movie theaters are stealing from her book (The Third Eye.) She tried to get summary judgement against WB for The Matrix. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/matrix.asp

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tighclops posted:

And I mean what the gently caress else is there with spaceships in it right now, Dark Matter? Killjoys at least tries to have fun with itself but DM pisses me off at how much of a terrible throwback to 90s syndicated shows that weren't Star Trek or Xena were

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. My friend, who said he "couldn't get into" the expanse loves Dark Matter and says it's amazing and has amazing characters. Me and my wife slogged through the first episode and half way through the 2nd and we both just kept saying how it feels straight out of the 90's. Like it was some 2 season forgotten show that used to come on before buffy. The characters are so loving bad and are 90's cliche's, the writing is 90's, the structure is 90's. It seriously feels like someone found a big box of scripts and work for a 90's scifi series and just made it today. When they first introduced all the characters and they were such 90's cliches I thought for sure it was a joke or they were going to subvert my expectations or something, but that's actually just the writing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hughlander posted:

This is way off topic. But there's a schizophrenic person who claims this is the case and that the movie theaters are stealing from her book (The Third Eye.) She tried to get summary judgement against WB for The Matrix. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/matrix.asp

Don't tell her about dark city then I guess.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. My friend, who said he "couldn't get into" the expanse loves Dark Matter and says it's amazing and has amazing characters. Me and my wife slogged through the first episode and half way through the 2nd and we both just kept saying how it feels straight out of the 90's. Like it was some 2 season forgotten show that used to come on before buffy. The characters are so loving bad and are 90's cliche's, the writing is 90's, the structure is 90's. It seriously feels like someone found a big box of scripts and work for a 90's scifi series and just made it today. When they first introduced all the characters and they were such 90's cliches I thought for sure it was a joke or they were going to subvert my expectations or something, but that's actually just the writing.

I love all things Vancouver sci-fi but dark matter is unmitigated garbage. Killjoys is great though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I love all things Vancouver sci-fi but dark matter is unmitigated garbage. Killjoys is great though.

Even Andromeda?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

My favorite thing about Dark Matter is how in Season 2 the Android gets a hardware update that allows her to simulate human emotions and she immediately starts behaving in a more human and emotive manner than all of her cast mates who are playing human characters.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tighclops posted:

This is pretty understandable since until then pretty much the whole genre was stuck riffing on the Trek formula, I think the last show to change things up was Babylon 5 but it never had the impact on following shows that BSG did.

I'll have to disagree, I think Babylon 5 influenced Deep Space 9 at the time, and also influenced BSG. Ronald D Moore coincidence? I think not.

But even outside the genre, I think JMS's approach to structure and the "4-5 season novel for television" idea has heavily influenced a lot of television writers and creators like Vince Gilligan among others.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

As much as I'm enjoying the Expanse, it still lags heavily behind BSG in so many areas. Even BSG's pilot has more memorable moments than large parts of this show so far.

That'll definitely change though. They should make the entire show about Avasarala and Dawes and call it a day.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Gorn Myson posted:

As much as I'm enjoying the Expanse, it still lags heavily behind BSG in so many areas. Even BSG's pilot has more memorable moments than large parts of this show so far.

That'll definitely change though. They should make the entire show about Avasarala and Dawes and call it a day.

I would definitely watch Space Politicians Cursing At One Another.

e: space veep

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

money worship posted:

Yo momma so fat that if they had used her instead of Nauvoo to knock Eros out of it's orbit the several pages of physics discussion would have been like "Oh yeah, that checks out"

I'm still going through the thread (this is from page 30 or so?) but goddamn this post :laffo:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I thought Miller meeting Julie was a really good moment that I'd put up there with almost anything from BSG.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Quorum posted:

I would definitely watch Space Politicians Cursing At One Another.

e: space veep

The Vacuum of It.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Crap, I missed the first 6 minutes of this episode.

• Locked thread