Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

If SNES mini had Yoshi's Island my cynicism and joy would collapse into a black hole because Nintendo would totally pull some poo poo like "You guys have been asking for the original for 10 years, exclusive to SNES Classic, $100 pls btw we didn't bother with preorders there's maybe 12 in production right now"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You'll get Yoshi's Island... on the non-portable GBA Classic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

If SNES mini had Yoshi's Island my cynicism and joy would collapse into a black hole because Nintendo would totally pull some poo poo like "You guys have been asking for the original for 10 years, exclusive to SNES Classic, $100 pls btw we didn't bother with preorders there's maybe 12 in production right now"

Getting Yoshi's Island working would mean Star Fox as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My pet theory on pulling the classic is that it's outselling the Switch and that is making a higher up super mad.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Light Gun Man posted:

My pet theory on pulling the classic is that it's outselling the Switch and that is making a higher up super mad.

That's dumb considering that the Switch is doing gangbusters

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's dumb considering that the Switch is doing gangbusters

Is it? I haven't been following either much, but I've heard a lot more people talking about the classic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Light Gun Man posted:

The Switch has sold obscenely well, far beyond the NES Mini, so I doubt that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's not impossible to find, but it's not easy to find either. It's either drive out of your way or buy a GameStop bundle.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The mini is very anti-Nintendo. Nintendo is all about nickel and dining you after you buy the machine. Hell they keep reselling those same games for 5 bucks a piece ever generation on the consoles. I would not be surprised at all if the next version if there is one will allow you to buy more stuff on a VC service. Nintendo is just leaving money on the table if they are not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For a Nintendo console launch, the Switch has been selling very well, better than any other console in their history apparently. Which means obviously that Nintendo is doomed once again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, no. Nintendos a weird company that does weird things.

Trying to ascribe meaning and corporate maneuvering to having a wildly successful toy is the same as looking at noise and seeing a pattern. It was a reasonably priced toy that hit whatever business goals they had. That's it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My problem with the switch is that there is exactly one good game that is on it right now.

Otherwise I probably would have bought it by now

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
TT: no one cares.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

For a Nintendo console launch, the Switch has been selling very well, better than any other console in their history apparently. Which means obviously that Nintendo is doomed once again.

It's pretty telling that it's still been selling well, even with just Breath of the Wild as it's only real draw since it launched. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is pretty much calendar-filler until Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, but damned if it won't sell units just for having a proper Battle Mode. I'm curious to see what pops up at e3, because the way they've been hyping it I would be surprised to not see something get announced for a September/October window.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Light Gun Man posted:

Is it? I haven't been following either much, but I've heard a lot more people talking about the classic.

It's selling better than the Wii did during the same period and Breath of the Wild has an attachment rate of 104%.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If you haven't played Grand Theft Auto 3 since PS2, give it a whirl. Real nostalgia trip.

The last page's discussion and Mappy cartoon reminded me of this so now you have to remember it too:

You can still play the game and I think the DLC is even free now. If you know every character on the roster, you're a much bigger Namco fan than I. It's not terrible in every way, but if you want to play a dating sim I strongly recommend the English fan translations of the Nintendo DS and PSP Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's selling better than the Wii did during the same period and Breath of the Wild has an attachment rate of 104%.

I choose to assume the errant 4% is people who managed to overcome the bitter taste and swallow the game cart, necessitating a replacement purchase.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I choose to assume the errant 4% is people who managed to overcome the bitter taste and swallow the game cart, necessitating a replacement purchase.

One part that, one part people rebuying it digitally because for some reason the game loads noticeably slower off the cartridge than off the internal storage.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

If you haven't played Grand Theft Auto 3 since PS2, give it a whirl. Real nostalgia trip.

The last page's discussion and Mappy cartoon reminded me of this so now you have to remember it too:

You can still play the game and I think the DLC is even free now. If you know every character on the roster, you're a much bigger Namco fan than I. It's not terrible in every way, but if you want to play a dating sim I strongly recommend the English fan translations of the Nintendo DS and PSP Tokimeki Memorial: Girl's Side series.

All right, I give up. Why are there Homestuck characters in this collage?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

All right, I give up. Why are there Homestuck characters in this collage?

Andrew Hussie, the Homestuck guy, agreed to direct a budgeted indie game for Namco on the conditions that he get to use any Namco characters and properties, and that he get complete creative control. He got the agreement in writing and went to town.

Imagine you can resurrect any Namco series or properties no risk or strings attached. I have to kind of applaud a dating sim in the West in this day and age. Between Namco nerds and Homestuck fans a lot of people tried it the first week that it came out. Maybe Namco's finance pitch guy was all about getting that Homestuck fan money. I doubt the paid characters/routes did well. Other reminder: it's not the last commercial Homestuck game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah I'm going to guess licensing agreements are why the NES Classic is dead.

A box that has only first party games would be interesting. Still don't think I'd want such a thing though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fishmech posted:

One part that, one part people rebuying it digitally because for some reason the game loads noticeably slower off the cartridge than off the internal storage.

Also people who don't have a Switch buying Zelda before they get the Switch

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

That's crazy. I had no idea, jeez.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Light Gun Man posted:

That's crazy. I had no idea, jeez.

I don't know if it's the marketing or what but I know a bunch of people that haven't bought a console since the N64 or the PS2 that are really excited for the Switch and Zelda.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's talk Jade Empire. Do you guys recommend it on Xbox or pc?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Without comparing the releases, I'd play it on the Xbox first mainly due to consoles being the target platform.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The PC version has a bit more content (nothing major, though) and obviously runs at a higher resolution (and 60 fps if you mess with the ini settings) with shorter loading times, but it can be a pain in the rear end to get running properly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hm okay i'll just stick wtih Xbox then. I recently played KOTOR 1 and 2 on PC and those where pretty odd in the running department so.

Final question; is the Xbox still a good source for emulators or should I be using my Wii?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Hell yes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm the 104th percent who forgot they preordered Zelda on Amazon and bought a limited edition copy on launch night.

Heran Bago posted:

Andrew Hussie, the Homestuck guy, agreed to direct a budgeted indie game for Namco on the conditions that he get to use any Namco characters and properties, and that he get complete creative control. He got the agreement in writing and went to town.

Imagine you can resurrect any Namco series or properties no risk or strings attached. I have to kind of applaud a dating sim in the West in this day and age. Between Namco nerds and Homestuck fans a lot of people tried it the first week that it came out. Maybe Namco's finance pitch guy was all about getting that Homestuck fan money. I doubt the paid characters/routes did well. Other reminder: it's not the last commercial Homestuck game.

It's also a who's who of webcomic tumblr artists so they hit the perfect target audience: people who like visual novels and people who like cute art.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hm okay i'll just stick wtih Xbox then. I recently played KOTOR 1 and 2 on PC and those where pretty odd in the running department so.

Final question; is the Xbox still a good source for emulators or should I be using my Wii?

Almost all emulators run better on the Wii, due to the fact the Wii's hardware is all slightly better than the original Xbox. Additionally, they have pretty much all been updated more recently and have better compatibility than the ones for the original Xbox which mostly saw development on homebrew software die off in 2008-2009.

However, the Xbox can do 720p and 1080i output for better handling of the scaling on some games, which you might prefer.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

This guy showed up in the mail this week. Now I'm just waiting for my ultrahdmi kit from gametech and I'll be in good shape.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah I'm going to guess licensing agreements are why the NES Classic is dead.

A box that has only first party games would be interesting. Still don't think I'd want such a thing though.
I mean, what would even be the point in an SNES mini without the Square and Enix RPGs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, what would even be the point in an SNES mini without the Square and Enix RPGs.
The authentic nostalgia experience for the PAL region?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If the snes mini was all first party games it would still be a hit because all of the first party games ruled pretty hard

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'd laugh super-hard if they put All-Stars on the Mini, but would be down with yet-another-reprint-of Link To The Past and Super Metroid.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doc Morbid posted:

The authentic nostalgia experience for the PAL region?

Oh boy, Star Wing!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't care about NES mini but I would pay an unhealthy amount of money for a SNES mini.

Attn: Nintendo

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/oleivarrudi/status/854462648078958592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Is that Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

• Locked thread