Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Metallia posted:

It's not entirely unfeasible Sojiro, Futaba, and Joker could support the cafe alone; Boss seemingly does an ok job of keeping Futaba fed and furnished during her depression while keeping the cafe open and his house there at the same time, so presumably Leblanc makes decent cash. This isn't counting any part time job Joker could stick with post-school and Futaba probably could do freelance work on the Internet.

(this is basically fanfic at this point but it's fun to think about)

Boss is entirely supported by the pension from his retirement as a government worker. The café is kinda implied as being highly unprofitable for the most part with very few customers, and he really only took it up again because he wanted to create a place for Futaba (although also indulging his hobby and perhaps running away from his issues as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm sad Sojiro dropped the "going out with different women" every night once the plot got rolling in palace 4, or was he just talking to Futaba and lying to Joker?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Joker is gonna get up to wacky hijinks with his pet cat and his canonical girlfriend Makoto (who will go to a college near him), developing his non-supernatural phantom thief skills for a year, then he's gonna come back and live with Sojiro while fighting crime with crime. This is canon.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lakbay posted:

I'm sad Sojiro dropped the "going out with different women" every night once the plot got rolling in palace 4, or was he just talking to Futaba and lying to Joker?

He was always talking to Futaba and honestly he never even lied. It was just framed in a slighly misleading way. If you know about Futaba ahead of time it's not even ambiguous.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lakbay posted:

Almost certainly the latter. It's an incredibly Futaba thing to do to want a very specific printer in a very specific color because yes Sojiro the color does matter damnit.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

A lot of the non-romantic options are uncomfortably distant or even cold. With Ann, that should've been a choice between "You have me" and "You have all of us." Why deflect, y'know?

Similarly, if you decide to take the friendship route with Kawakami, you basically have to answer her "You won't get lonely without me, right?" question with "Nah, I got lots of friends, I don't need you," which is pretty cold after all you've been through together. Or with Dr. Takemi, your non-romantic choice when she asks why you keep coming to see her is "It's for my exams," which is obviously a deflection and she takes it that way.

Fortunately a lot of them seem to have multiple options. Like with Takemi you can say 'I wanted to see you' and then she gets real direct and you get an option that's basically 'uhhhh' and she pretty much goes 'you're adorable'

Similarly you can tell Kawakami you want to keep seeing her without locking into a romance.

Futaba's a one off tho which is why it should have been 'because we're family'

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

UberJew posted:

His parents are undoubtedly douchebags and he's still underage. That plus the whole 'police still want his rear end on a platter' thing means he doesn't really have a choice.

Except to sabotage to police and go do more crimes anyway!

Yeah, Joker just doesn't really have a choice in the matter. Given that Joker's likely an excellent student (if only because I doubt many players are going to finish the game with like 1 or 2 Knowledge, y'know?) he can probably place into a great Tokyo university and come back and be with his friends again, or just go wherever he wants to after that. But for now, he's beholden to what his parents tell him to do, like it or not.

I stand by what I'd have done if I was writing the ending, though: some technicality means that his criminal record can be purged only if he completes another year of probation, so whoopsie, he has to go to Shujin for his senior year and stay with his true companions, what a tragedy~~~ (cue winking at the camera, cut to credits, and Ferris Bueller post-credits scene)

cheetah7071 posted:

Joker is gonna get up to wacky hijinks with his pet cat and his canonical girlfriend Makoto (who will go to a college near him), developing his non-supernatural phantom thief skills for a year, then he's gonna come back and live with Sojiro while fighting crime with crime. This is canon.

:yeah:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Lakbay posted:

The idea is that he's always going to see Futaba though the idea of his girl getting so mad about a printer is very good

I liked the exchange in the car on the way back from Shujin orientation where he's mad at you for the traffic and having to drive you and you can just ask "Why did you even take me in?!" and he kinda deflects that too. Like he realizes he should stop being so abrasive cause you're also trying to figure poo poo out

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

"I'm a dad" :smug:

satanael is arsene's dad that's why he's so strong

and yeah, i take sojiro going out with women as just going home for futaba

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

"I'm a dad" :smug:

This and "Time to button mash" are the best options in the game

Yes, I like them even better than "We hate the cops"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I wonder what the gently caress jokers parents even think about him being incarcerated temporarily for being the leader of the goddamn phantom thieves. Either they are incredibly chill or super lovely and basically disowned him. Either way game should have ended with Joker refusing to leave and going on a dope road trip in the not-catbus

Also wait where the gently caress did they get that bus?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Farg posted:

A used car lot?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Farg posted:

I wonder what the gently caress jokers parents even think about him being incarcerated temporarily for being the leader of the goddamn phantom thieves. Either they are incredibly chill or super lovely and basically disowned him. Either way game should have ended with Joker refusing to leave and going on a dope road trip in the not-catbus

Haru owns a fleet of buses, probably

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm actually not sure what we're supposed to think of Joker's parents. We know they didn't, like, kick him out or anything--he had to go to Tokyo because he had to go to school and Shujin was the only decent school that would accept him with his criminal record. But we just never really hear about them past the intro and if they ever contact him it's totally off-screen (though that's true in Persona 4, as well). Is that normal for Japanese parental relationships? I really have no idea. I have to assume not, but I guess I don't know. Like I don't think we were supposed to think the Persona 4 protagonist's parents were lovely for spending a year in America and sending him to live with a relative, so I dunno.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I mean it's a thing in mass market fiction writing to omit parents

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Moltrey posted:

Very Good Tora is my Politics Dad

Someone put the Get Smoked cap on him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

I'm actually not sure what we're supposed to think of Joker's parents. We know they didn't, like, kick him out or anything--he had to go to Tokyo because he had to go to school and Shujin was the only decent school that would accept him with his criminal record. But we just never really hear about them past the intro and if they ever contact him it's totally off-screen (though that's true in Persona 4, as well). Is that normal for Japanese parental relationships? I really have no idea. I have to assume not, but I guess I don't know. Like I don't think we were supposed to think the Persona 4 protagonist's parents were lovely for spending a year in America and sending him to live with a relative, so I dunno.

I think given how lovely parents usually are in P5 we're supposed to assume they're apathetic at best. Probably not actively abusive though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I mean it's a thing in mass market fiction writing to omit parents

Yeah, I mean the simplest answer is that we don't hear from/about them because they're not important to the story, I guess.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Yeah I guess haru can fund the gang basically indefinitely. She's the Danny Devito of the phantom thieves.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I liked the entirety of Disneyland Tokyo being rented out to 6 people and a cat

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 19, 2017

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

They sure as hell didn't stand behind him any and judging from the early interaction with Sojiro i got the impression they both 1) threw him into the city via the flimsiest possible connection 2) pre-warned the guy that their son was dangerous and bad

During the buffet scene after kamoshida I felt that was the sort of people joker's parents are

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poor Joker. Ripped away from his best friends to go live with parents who don't trust him in a school full of people who don't care about him :(

Get back to Tokyo ASAP, you frizzy-haired thief

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Joker will be fine anywhere he goes. He's Debonair after all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What if his new school has teachers that aren't literally deaf and they notice the constant cat meowing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

What if his new school has teachers that aren't literally deaf and they notice the constant cat meowing

Joker gets expelled for bringing a cat to school, Kawakami pulls some strings to get him back in at Shujin

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He's a service cat. See, I have a doctor's prescription for it.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Joker only did so well on his exams because he had his cat feeding him answers

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fusing then:

Fusing now:

X

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

Fusing then:

Fusing now:

X

Man, Caroline and Justine are so much cooler than Margaret.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

In Sojiro's rank 4 cutscene the dude coming in and harassing Sojiro says that he wasn't actually paid to take you in and Sojiro's just doing it for charity so I think it's fine.

(It was a line along the lines of "You have enough money to be doing charity work like taking that kid in, you can give me some money too!")

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In Sojiro's rank 4 cutscene the dude coming in and harassing Sojiro says that he wasn't actually paid to take you in and Sojiro's just doing it for charity so I think it's fine.

(It was a line along the lines of "You have enough money to be doing charity work like taking that kid in, you can give me some money too!")

There's also a TV quiz show question early on about whether probation guardians like Sojiro get paid or not, and the answer is that they don't. It's one of the early clues that Sojiro is actually super cool. He claims at first that he's getting paid and that's the only reason he took you in, but he isn't--he took you in because he's Sojiro Sakura and that's what he does. He just had to look tough.

(The other early clue that Sojiro is secretly super nice is when he brings Morgana food immediately after going "fine, but the dumb cat's your responsibility" and then gets disappointed when Morgana already has a name and he can't name him :3:)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Even if so, joker's parents leaving him with a dude they barely knew who could spare all of a cluttered storage room in a loft and leftover curry is not a good look

Harrow posted:

There's also a TV quiz show question early on about whether probation guardians like Sojiro get paid or not, and the answer is that they don't. It's one of the early clues that Sojiro is actually super cool. He claims at first that he's getting paid and that's the only reason he took you in, but he isn't--he took you in because he's Sojiro Sakura and that's what he does. He just had to look tough.

(The other early clue that Sojiro is secretly super nice is when he brings Morgana food immediately after going "fine, but the dumb cat's your responsibility" and then gets disappointed when Morgana already has a name and he can't name him :3:)

yeah sojiro is good and cool ofc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

Or him worrying that you didn't bring an Umbrella on your first day of school. :3:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Moltrey posted:

The idea is that he's always going to see Futaba though the idea of his girl getting so mad about a printer is very good

Sojiro is the printer goon

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

There should have been an option to let Sojiro rename Morgana.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game is astonishingly harsh about being platonic friends with Haru, she basically nearly breaks into tears and leaves nigh immediately.

That makes sense to me. Though I didn't finish her link in my playthrough, it seems like she'd see Joker as her ticket out from the engagement, or at least a reason she can justify putting her own desires ahead of the company and her father's legacy/money. Taking that away seems real brutal. I still can't see myself making her my only romance next time, and I do want to go with just one for like the first time ever in a Persona game, but oof I'm not looking forward to the consequences.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

NowonSA posted:

That makes sense to me. Though I didn't finish her link in my playthrough, it seems like she'd see Joker as her ticket out from the engagement, or at least a reason she can justify putting her own desires ahead of the company and her father's legacy/money. Taking that away seems real brutal. I still can't see myself making her my only romance next time, and I do want to go with just one for like the first time ever in a Persona game, but oof I'm not looking forward to the consequences.

Eh, by the time it comes up in her social link those aren't really problems for her anymore. She'd already found the courage to stand up for herself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clarste posted:

Eh, by the time it comes up in her social link those aren't really problems for her anymore. She'd already found the courage to stand up for herself.

Yeah, also Haru is a sweet girl who probably hasn't had to deal with rejection since she just got out of the arranged marriage.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If Haru gets out of it, then why is she with the sleazy fiance when she finds out Joker has been "committed suicide" in the anime cutscene?

Also on the subject of romance, I really dug the valentine's day massacre, and I don't remember that happening in Persona 4. Did Golden add a similar scene? I got a kick out of saying "I do want the chocolates" since I didn't think Sojiro would cover for me, and while I was hanging with Futaba no less. I feel like that would have been a real good moment to include a stat lock on a dialogue choice, which would happen from time to time in P4. Saying that should have taken max guts :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

NowonSA posted:

Also on the subject of romance, I really dug the valentine's day massacre, and I don't remember that happening in Persona 4. Did Golden add a similar scene? I got a kick out of saying "I do want the chocolates" since I didn't think Sojiro would cover for me, and while I was hanging with Futaba no less. I feel like that would have been a real good moment to include a stat lock on a dialogue choice, which would happen from time to time in P4. Saying that should have taken max guts :colbert:.

Speaking of Haru, her line delivery on "Take the chocolate, before I crush it" is perfect.

I used to be on the Makoto train but I warmed up significantly to Haru over time.

• Locked thread