Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spacebump posted:

I was about to post about how bad batches of Soylent made many customers have diarrhea. Then I learned they made bars that also gave people diarrhea. Doesn't a chewable "food bar" kind of ruin the original point of their first product?

They'll claim the first part is the true product, but the "food bar" is for when you don't have time, but you still want the soylent "experience" or whatever drat marketing they probably use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

I was about to post about how bad batches of Soylent made many customers have diarrhea. Then I learned they made bars that also gave people diarrhea. Doesn't a chewable "food bar" kind of ruin the original point of their first product?

The idea is that you do your staring at computer screen job for 14 hours a day and have no cognitive capacity to think about food or other basic survival needs, and soylent will provide you the food need in either a drinkable or chewable format

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

iospace posted:

Hot take: gently caress tech bros and anything they shitout. ESPECIALLY uber

I like Lyft. Nice to get home in one after a game vs dealing with a cab or walking 2 miles home when it's cold and late. Uber seems like a mess though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

zelah posted:

I like Lyft. Nice to get home in one after a game vs dealing with a cab or walking 2 miles home when it's cold and late. Uber seems like a mess though.

Saying Lyft is better than Uber is the drat lowest bar to clear. They engage in the same practices, only they're a lot more discrete about it.

e: Lyft is probably counting their blessings right now that Uber is taking all the heat and allowing them to do stuff that their main userbase approves of all while screaming "IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN".

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Shear Modulus posted:

Someone should start a company that claims to do magic German blood spinning with just a drop of blood because Kobe would invest a zillion dollars

We already can do this with pluripotent stem cells, but I wouldn't trust it not to give the patient cancer.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Look soon we'll all be watching the Golden State Warriors win their 7th championship through our VR headsets while riding in a self-driving Uber car while sipping on our favorite flavor of Soylent drink that was delivered via Amazon drone and it will be cool ok

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Redgrendel2001 posted:

We already can do this with pluripotent stem cells, but I wouldn't trust it not to give the patient cancer.

Kobe would definitely risk cancer down the road for a competitive edge today.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

zoux posted:

Congrats to Silicon Valley for accidentally reinventing V8 juice.

The best "Silicon Valley is full of oblivious jackasses" is the Uber guy detailing the "Ultimate Uber ride" and proceeding to describe a bus with no awareness that he'd done so.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ChickenMedium posted:

The best "Silicon Valley is full of oblivious jackasses" is the Uber guy detailing the "Ultimate Uber ride" and proceeding to describe a bus with no awareness that he'd done so.
Also the Uber CEO getting into a heated argument with one of his own drivers, whose "compensation" he'd recently cut, even though he knew the ride was being filmed.

Also the Uber CEO guy basically allowing company HQ to be an unaltered sexual harassment factory.

Also the Uber CEO guy responding to the San Fran City Council's anger at him sending self-driving cars around the city without getting a permit and even though they'd been caught repeatedly running red lights with what amounted to, "gently caress you we're not a taxi company so we can do whatever".

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lyft and Uber are great. VCs subsidize the cost of my ride and no one, drivers included, gives two shits about wear and tear of the car

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

predicto posted:

Jesus christ how embarrassing. My memory totally failed me. :eng99:

having your center rotation be anderson varejao and festus ezeli is mostly the same thing as not having a center anyway

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/854793140125020160

sooooo.....theres gonna be what, 3 white dudes from the front office of the winning NBA team?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If Golden State wins Green might go and will probably punch him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ramadu posted:

sooooo.....theres gonna be what, 3 white dudes from the front office of the winning NBA team?

Between Spurs, Warriors, and Cavs, yeah probably.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If the Raptors win we can hold an alternate ceremony with the ultimate cutie Trudeau. We'll do it if an American team wins too, we don't mind refugees.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

attackmole posted:

If the Raptors win we can hold an alternate ceremony with the ultimate cutie Trudeau. We'll do it if an American team wins too, we don't mind refugees.
Well photo-ops are about the only thing Trudeau is good for, so why not

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The "can't play Kanter" clip is probably the nail in the coffin in what was already a long-shot series for the Thunder. He's the only player besides the Russ that could do damage on offense. The Rockets don't have anyone who can guard him in the post and he can hurt them on the offensive glass, but if he's giving up 20 or so points worth of uncontested layups on the other end, he's still a net negative on the floor.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Blind Pineapple posted:

The "can't play Kanter" clip is probably the nail in the coffin in what was already a long-shot series for the Thunder. He's the only player besides the Russ that could do damage on offense. The Rockets don't have anyone who can guard him in the post and he can hurt them on the offensive glass, but if he's giving up 20 or so points worth of uncontested layups on the other end, he's still a net negative on the floor.
The Kanter thing is so maddening because it's like when Al Jefferson was younger: dude just literally doesn't try to play defense at all. A seven-footer with his athleticism who at least gives something resembling effort on defense should be okay.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
All this talk of juice has made me remember the best juicer: Michael jordan

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

CharlestheHammer posted:

If Golden State wins Green might go and will probably punch him.

The Rockets need to win it all so when Trump pulls his used car salesman handshake James Harden will reflexively meat check him.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Whoever wins needs to hire Kareem and then just send him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

Roberson scored 18 points this rockets d is not that good and this series is far from over

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ramadu posted:

If the Warriors win I hope they either send only JaVale or nobody.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ChickenMedium posted:

The Rockets need to win it all so when Trump pulls his used car salesman handshake James Harden will reflexively meat check him.
Given the current trend of NBA player discussion, I'd half expect someone on the winning team to lean over during the handshake and say "Mr. President I need to speak with you on the shape of the earth it's an urgent matter"

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Metapod posted:

Roberson scored 18 points this rockets d is not that good

Roberson was literally not being guarded. I think every defense in the league will give Roberson 18 points if they can defend 4 players with 5 defenders.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dokmo posted:

Roberson was literally not being guarded. I think every defense in the league will give Roberson 18 points if they can defend 4 players with 5 defenders.

He's not being serious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crazy Ted posted:

Given the current trend of NBA player discussion, I'd half expect someone on the winning team to lean over during the handshake and say "Mr. President I need to speak with you on the shape of the earth it's an urgent matter"

And then it becomes official policy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Dammit

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If anyone wants to know where I'll be the afternoon of the Kings home opener, I'll be on the street pulling off that Russian scam
https://twitter.com/DougJohnsonFX40/status/854794829825425408

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Tae posted:

He's not being serious.

Metapod is a good fan and he truly believes in his team. Please do not doubt him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://medium.com/@VivekRanadive/from-space-city-to-atos-sacramento-will-lead-the-nation-in-autonomous-vehicles-19449d215433

quote:

History also positions Sacramento to be a leader in the new economy. Remember that, in less than a decade, the world’s largest bookseller grew to have no book stores, the largest music seller to have no music stores, the largest taxi company to have no cars and the largest hotel company to own no hotel rooms. This new era is what I call “Civilization 3.0.” While Civilization 1.0 was the beginning of modern civilization, where the economy largely consisted of skilled laborers selling products to the people who lived near them, the industrial revolution sparked Civilization 2.0. Inventions like electricity and factory lines made labor more efficient, allowing for faster change than we ever thought possible. And now faster, more abundant access to data is ushering in a Civilization 3.0 economy, where ideas and experiences are the most important assets, and people can demand nearly anything in real time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

His 3s were wide open but he was also driving and cutting to the basket

Tae posted:

He's not being serious.

I believe 100% okc is going back to the wcf

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BWV posted:

Hey this is Murph calling in on a mobile. Are the Celtics the worst number 1 seed in NBA history? Thanks guys, I'll take my answer off the air.

Well, the 1955 Syracuse Nationals did have a lower SRS.

Rick posted:

I have seen the Bulls play enough this season that I'm still fairly confident that this is going to result in the Bulls losing the next four while shooting 30% the rest of the series.

They look different from the regular season. They look like they actually care.

They were hiding their true powers all along.

Crazy Ted posted:

Reminder: the inventor and CEO of Soylent literally thinks that going to the grocery store is a sensory-overload attack on the brain and that it can trigger PTSD. He also orders clothes direct from Chinese factories, wears them once, throws them away, and then orders a new set because he thinks washing clothes wastes too much water and his method of clothing himself is better for the environment.

And we loving give these people money.

:lol:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I love that the tech world is almost too insane to properly parody.

It helps make Silicon Valley so great though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jota posted:

TJ Miller making GBS threads all over everyone at The Crunchies was 10x better than the show

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

Its weird to read this thread for three pages where it is predominantly talk about Eastern Conference teams.

I mean, its exciting, and anything can happen, but does anyone think this year isn't going to be pretty much Golden State Warriors (50%), San Antonio Spurs (25%) or Cleveland Cavaliers (20%)?

Cavaliers aren't close to 20% this year. More like 3-4%.

Also, this assuming a legit ref series (not likely).

Noctone posted:

It would be insanely funny if the Bulls somehow alphaed their way to the finals despite such a dogshit season.

It's a shame the Bulls can't face the Raptors in R2.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 19, 2017

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Jota posted:

The New Yorker posted:

During one visit to Google’s headquarters, in Mountain View, about six writers sat in a conference room with Astro Teller, the head of GoogleX, who wore a midi ring and kept his long hair in a ponytail. “Most of our research meetings are fun, but this one was uncomfortable,” Kemper told me. GoogleX is the company’s “moonshot factory,” devoted to projects, such as self-driving cars, that are difficult to build but might have monumental impact. Hooli, a multibillion-dollar company on “Silicon Valley,” bears a singular resemblance to Google. (The Google founder Larry Page, in Fortune: “We’d like to have a bigger impact on the world by doing more things.” Hooli’s C.E.O., in season two: “I don’t want to live in a world where someone makes the world a better place better than we do.”) The previous season, Hooli had launched HooliXYZ, its own “moonshot factory,” whose experiments were slapstick absurdities: monkeys who use bionic arms to masturbate; powerful cannons for launching potatoes across a room. “He claimed he hadn’t seen the show, and then he referred many times to specific things that had happened on the show,” Kemper said. “His message was, ‘We don’t do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not.’ ” (Teller could not be reached for comment.)

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh. Even while it was happening, I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The 2003 Pistons made it to the ECF as I recall

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You could have just said Astro Teller and ended the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

This guy doesn't even know we're already on Civ 6.

• Locked thread