Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perplx posted:

i just use spotify now

:yossame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg3145/index.html

get hosed UHD havers, theres a REAL DCI 4K monitor coming to town

1000 nits

no haloing on back light dimming

PQ and HLG gammas

HDMI + DP

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

No cost, because if u have to ask, u might as well use VLC to pirate your animes that aren't even real 10 bit

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ten

bits

per

channel

1024 motherfucker do you speak it?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

80% rec.2020 coverage, have you ever seen colors so true to life? i think not you haven't even gone outside because this is u

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

can you imagine how many 10 bit animes he has downloaded not realizing they are just dithering patterns applied to not even 8 bits of video?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

seriously if you dont let the finest, brightest, most color accurate bits grace your eyes whenever you boot up your tentpole hollywood movie then I don't even know what youre doing in life.

like seriously just go watch childrens show because they are just like u

not giving a poo poo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

And then Dolby Vision, packing 12 bits into the bitstream, how is that even possible? those engineers have jobs, and arri alexas, and probably a whole stack of high CRI tubes to put in their kinos just to eat dinner with.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

they probably own a technocrane just to get the mail, and thats only if they feel like dealing with non 12-bit havers just to laugh at them for watching childrens shows which are 8 bit still

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bcJXvRrlo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i use the whole 32 bits

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Bloody posted:

i use the whole 32 bits

lol at all the childrens show watchers who think "welp windows is 32 bits so thats greater than 12 per channel"

might as well start calling your ASUS TN special a 4K reference display

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

might as well rip the doors of your ford pinto and say you put suicides on your ferrari!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

might as well shoot a movie on your iphone and then edit the wiki to say it was shot on arri alexa so you have a shot at the oscars!!!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

MIHG AS WELL GO TO BURGER KING AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS YOU WENT TO SUGARFISH IN LA AND SAW GEORGE CLOONEY AND YOU BOTH HIGH FIVED WHILE JUMPING OUT THE WINDOW AS A TECHNOCRANE WITH A not iphone CAPTURED IT ALL IN PERFECT 24P.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
im prescribing you a chill pill. you are to take one daily.

invlwhen
Jul 28, 2012

please do your best
I set my framebuffer to use a 32 bit float per channel

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

my computers 64 bits

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

pagancow how many bags of magic crystals do you have taped to your $1000 hdmi cables?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sweevo posted:

pagancow how many bags of magic crystals do you have taped to your $1000 hdmi cables?

Dude, they don't put magic crystals in recorders anymore because they are solid state dummy

i dont see why anybody wouldn't own one of these RGB video players, they are so much cheaper than the 60k tape decks we use to have to use

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

no haloing on back light dimming

lol i bet

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Having four different HDR standards is bad, you know what we need to do? Make a fifth standard https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-experience-with-updated-open-standard-hdr10

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Rip Dolby who needs their garbage now?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

so it's just the TV dynamically changing the backlight brightness like some already do, but now they're marketing it as some kind of HDR? :rolleyes: x100

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i have a samsung uhd 'smart' tv and when there's no source it will dim the backlight so you cant read the osd anymore

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

pagancow posted:

Dude, they don't put magic crystals in recorders anymore because they are solid state dummy

i dont see why anybody wouldn't own one of these RGB video players, they are so much cheaper than the 60k tape decks we use to have to use

i loving loathe the atomos shoguns, those fuckers fail to boot like every third time and eat batteries like poo poo

and dont get me started on the hellish powerbutton

Aix fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 21, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
so whats the media player of choice now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

so whats the media player of choice now

plex

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Doc Block posted:

so it's just the TV dynamically changing the backlight brightness like some already do, but now they're marketing it as some kind of HDR? :rolleyes: x100

this will be used by advertisers to crank up the brightness to 11 halfway into their ad and nobody else

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
mpv per this thread

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

foobar 2000 and vlc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just use itunes

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the little bubble that pops up to tell you that you're watching HDR content is really handy, as otherwise it's hard to know on most TVs

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

pagancow posted:

80% rec.2020 coverage, have you ever seen colors so true to life? i think not you haven't even gone outside because this is u

wow the lights in this photo would look way better w/ hdr

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
LG inexplicably rebranded HDR10 to HDR Pro for no good reason other than to confuse people and make them less likely to buy their TV because well this Xbox works with HDR10 and this doesn't have that. guess I better buy a safnsung.

we have to pay licensing fees for HDR

so if we make our own HDR, people will have to pay us!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no you dummys

hdr 10+ which adds dynamic metadata is an improvement to the standard and is necessary for TVs right now due to limited brightness.

imagine an open world game where dark corners looked fine but outdoor scenes were just all washed out because your TV didn't support the brightness that the developers mastered to.

Dolby vision is still superior but they standards too high for every manufacturers because then they would have to actually calibrate TVs and pay licensing costs

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
so what's a good main living room tv to get my zt60 has started buzzing in bright scenes recently.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

pagancow posted:

no you dummys

hdr 10+ which adds dynamic metadata is an improvement to the standard and is necessary for TVs right now due to limited brightness.

imagine an open world game where dark corners looked fine but outdoor scenes were just all washed out because your TV didn't support the brightness that the developers mastered to.

Dolby vision is still superior but they standards too high for every manufacturers because then they would have to actually calibrate TVs and pay licensing costs

Dolby vision is dumb as heck who wants to pay licensing costs for metadata

Until we get true 32 bit fp hdr I'm not gonna upgrade my lovely hdr10 panel

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

game engines already do their own tone mapping.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Malcolm XML posted:

Dolby vision is dumb as heck who wants to pay licensing costs for metadata

Until we get true 32 bit fp hdr I'm not gonna upgrade my lovely hdr10 panel

Dolby Vision includes color and brightness management, and has cool technologies to shove 12-bpc over a 10-bpc RGB pipe.

get with the best or die like the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

game engines already do their own tone mapping.

nobody in the game industry is making their own tone mapping, they programmers just search "filmic tone mapping" and then use that math

• Locked thread