Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

AradoBalanga posted:

Technically, they did make one. As you'd expect, the game never loving tells you about it. It's the "Mysterious Texts" over in the Records Hall, for those curious.

It doesn't help that they're all in code; sure, one of them shows you the alphabet in that code, but, again, it doesn't even hint at that, so it just looks like a bunch of nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Growths

HP 60
STR 70
MAG 35
SKL 55
SPD 55
LCK 35
DEF 50
RES 30

I'm going +Strength -Luck because I need to actually try this time.

Starting stats and end result by chapter 6, in which I just fed 99% of the enemies to Corrine. Maybe some to Jakob.

She's certainly hitting that strength pretty well.

Time to dive into Conquest!

You know, this is already making me feel like I picked wrong.

Ryoma! Withdraw your troops.
You don't mean that, Corrine. You cannot possibly!
I'm sorry, Ryoma, but I will not fight for Hoshido.
How can you say that?! Open your eyes! Can you not see how vile those Nohrians are? They're hateful fiends who wish to trample Hoshido! They killed our mother!

So if you forgot, this is like right after the Queen of Hoshido, who gave Corrine food and comfort and also her real mommy, was killed by Nohrians. I would say Ryoma has the right to be baffled.

I know what the Nohrian kingdom has done to Hoshido is unforgivable... And I know now that these are not my brothers and sisters by birth... Yet even still, I must side with them. My heart won’t allow me to do otherwise.

Your what is doing the what now

How can you fight alongside those monsters after what they did?! Now that you know of their sins, how can you possibly justify joining them?
You are a princess of Hoshido! You are my sister! They are to blame for you not growing up with us as you were meant to. Do you truly mean to fight for those who stole you away?
Ryoma... My sorrow is beyond words.
Still, I simply will not abandon the only family I have ever known.

The family that kidnapped you and killed your father???

As you now know, you do not share the same bloodline as the rest of us. But it matters not. I have regarded you as family since I first I laid eyes on you. I cannot express what it means to me that you've chosen to return to us. Father will be pleased with your decision as well.

Uhhhh Xander, I got something to tell you about king murderface Garon

Are you certain of that, Prince Xander? Surely you must know of King Garon's attempt to murder Corrine!
Explain yourself. Swiftly.

Tell 'em, Ryo!

The explosion came from Corrine's sword. If my mother hadn't sacrificed herself, she would be dead now. If King Garon truly cares, why did he risk Corrine's life just to hurt Hoshido?
Is this true, Corrine?

:psyduck: Excuse me?

That's why I must return home right away. I must know the truth of this tragedy.
I'm afraid that is not an option. *draws sword*

Arrrgh!
Everyone! Attack Corrine! I will not allow you to return to Nohr until we've settled this on the battlefield.
Ryoma! Please don't do this!

So you wish to side with Nohr? Then you must first defeat your true brother. It is your birthright to fight on my side. I cannot forgive the choice you've made.

I get it

How dare you use the sacred Yato blade against your own kingdom! Perhaps it is a blessing Mother isn't here to witness your betrayal.

*Xander and Ryoma exchange blows*

Stand down, prince of Hoshido. I will not allow you to cause any further harm to Corrine.
Order me around once more, and Nohr will lose a prince as well as a princess today I will do what I must to awaken my sister from the spell that binds her. You vile Nohrians have brainwashed her, and I will not rest until she is free!
More false accusations. You know very well she chose this of her own free will. No matter the blood that courses through her veins, we are her true family. That will never change.

Nohrians are notorious for their cruel and cowardly methods. This is no different.
But I have had enough of your foolish words. We must resolve this with blades.
So be it. I always knew it would come to this. The crown prince of Nohr clashing blades with Hoshido’s heir. It’s almost poetic.
Please, stop this madness! Both of you! Xander, I beg of you. let it go for now. We must return to Nohr right away. There has been enough senseless death on this day...

And who's fault is that?

Are we surrounded or something now?

Leo? Why would you say that?
If we retreat, they'll think we fear them. Or worse, that we coerced you into joining us. This is our chance to prove beyond a doubt that you chose us of your own volition. We have no choice but to stand our ground and fight!

Uh....huh?

I agree with Leo. After all, we've done nothing wrong. Why should we flee? You're one of us, Corrine. that's worth fighting for!
Don't worry, Corrine! Everything's OK now that we're together again! If we all try our hardest, there's no way we can lose!
Is that really what you want? Leo, Camilla, even Elise...

Nohrian pawns. Soon you shall be a mere stain on my sacred blade, Raijinto.
Hinoka! Takumi! Sakura! Are you ready?
Ready and waiting! Like I'd ever let them take Corrine away from us again.
Show no mercy. Now is our chance to avenge Mother's death!
I'll help too. I'll do my b-best! Please, Corrine, come back to us...

Sadly for you, my sacred blade, Siegfried, knows nothing of pity—only triumph.
Camilla! Leo! Elise! prepare for battle!
I swear to protect our dear Corrine no matter what!
Failure is no option. Let's show those scoundrels what it means to be a family!
I'm ready too! Let's finish this quickly, though. I'm starving!

Tae fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man I forgot how stupid this is

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Don't worry guys, this story's the one that they advertised to be deeply complex and changing the evil empire from within! Doesn't that sound neat? :buddy:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

we're through the looking glass, people :allears:

Lancer is absolutely necessary for Conquest, but I've sometimes put my Corrin into Ninja for more debuffs

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 19, 2017

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Sure I know Dad tried to kill me but I want to know why.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I already feel dumber having skimmed through this.

Although wanting to hear Garon's side of the story is also understandable, so naturally everyone else is dumb about this :downs:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well that was an even rockier start than I expected.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh boy! Now we're on the path that I ran! I'm really excited to see how much better the story is in this path compared to the ot-

Guys? Hello? ...Anybody?

Maybe the LP's Corrine will be better than mine. My avatar hit 25 hp at level 20. Things got rough.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh wow, they didn't waste any time gluing the idiot ball to Corrine's hands in this one.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Playing through the first time I intended to go Nohr, and with how much the devs pushed Hoshido as the objectively correct choice I was perfectly happy to go team evil

I assume Corrine was too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh wow, they didn't waste any time gluing the idiot ball to Corrine's hands in this one.

I guess it's only to be expected, siding with the murderous invading gaijin and not beautiful and noble and proper not-Japan.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

W.T. Fits posted:

You mean it isn't permanently fused to the Avatar's hands regardless? I mean, you saw how things went in the Hoshido route, right?

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
So back when this game was still in pre-release mode, I was really looking forward to Conquest. I wasn't a fan of Awakenings unit swarm map design, and this advertised mode where you would play in maps with limited EXP, tougher puzzle like stages, and a story that's more morally ambiguous, where you try to change your flawed kingdom from within sounded right up my ally!

At the very least, I can say the gameplay was good, if hard, even by FE Standards. It's just that Conquest has the worst plot I have ever seen in a video game. Period. There are plots objectively worse, but Conquest actively infuriates me every moment I watch the characters talk in the story. And the greatest tragedy of all is that the writing is so bad, it destroys who I find to be the more likeable team of siblings, and in general a more interesting cast of characters. Their good qualities are buried under layers and layers of pure bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I guess it's only to be expected, siding with the murderous invading gaijin and not beautiful and noble and proper not-Japan.

this is the dumbest of hot takes. and also racist. don't post it again.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Although the Hoshido siblings getting pissed and attacking make a whole lot more sense than the Nohr siblings

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

You mean it isn't permanently fused to the Avatar's hands regardless? I mean, you saw how things went in the Hoshido route, right?

Counterpoint: the Avatar in the Hoshido route immediately realized, "Hrm, Garon gave me a sword that almost killed me twice, killed my mother and left the nation of my birth vulnerable to attack from his forces that were apparently waiting right on the border for this to happen. Clearly he intends to conquer Hoshido, even if it meant killing me to get things started. I probably shouldn't willingly return there and act like there's nothing wrong with that so I can find out 'why' he did this."

The Avatar held the idiot ball in Birthright, too, but was capable of dropping it at least once or twice.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 20, 2017

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Since we know this from Hinoka's S support, the Hoshido siblings aren't even Corrin's real family, so that just further complicates everything regarding the background story. There really should have been only two games made from the paper thin plot, maybe then they would've been given the attention and polish the games desperately needed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

In case anyone who hasn't played the game yet is confused, "Lancer" is the localized equivalent of the Spear Fighter line, not the generic Lancer units that pop up occasionally in Nohr's ranks. This was probably changed due to the English text being longer than the Japanese text and thus couldn't fit in the tiny box for reclass options. IIRC, Oni Savage also runs into this same problem and gets shortened as well.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SweaterGear posted:

Since we know this from Hinoka's S support, the Hoshido siblings aren't even Corrin's real family, so that just further complicates everything regarding the background story. There really should have been only two games made from the paper thin plot, maybe then they would've been given the attention and polish the games desperately needed.

Or maybe when the gameplay of "you can marry almost any unit!" ran into the story component of "you're related to some of them!" the former should've given way for the wake of sanity

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Cythereal posted:

They're actually kinda trying to give some kind of negative trait to the Hoshidans in the dialogue there - They kind of just automatically assume that because the assassination of Mikoto was carried out by Nohrians, all Nohrians are evil. Ryoma comes across as incredibly close-minded and more interested in sticking it to the Nohrians than in what's actually best for Corrin.

That being said, if you think this is bad, it's all downhill from here.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think one thing that this game suffers from is that almost all the units available to you are the royals and their retainers. There's no real sense of the people of Hoshido or Nohr, and the "war" is really just a squabble between the royals. you don't actually get to see the impact on the regular people, I say.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Playing through the first time I intended to go Nohr, and with how much the devs pushed Hoshido as the objectively correct choice I was perfectly happy to go team evil

Yeah, same here. Hoshido was the believable choice for normal humans so I decided to go with Nohr to see how that played out.

I'm still stuck on Flora self-immolating herself back in Hoshido-route. :psyduck:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heaven Spacey posted:

That being said, if you think this is bad, it's all downhill from here.

I was joking a bit, but Fire Emblem does occasionally strike me as excessively, well, Japanese in its attitudes. The good/right choice in this game being not-Japan and the evil choice being not-Europeans struck me as maybe not the most graceful writing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Endorph posted:

this is the dumbest of hot takes. and also racist. don't post it again.

Why? It's just as valid a point as saying that its dumb when some generic action movie features super cool Americans that are bastions of justice fighting the evil russians/terrorists/nazis/etc.
Writing something that is a comically biased whitewashing of your homeland is an easy trap to fall into and worth pointing out as bad writing.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

"Nohr will lose two princes/a prince as well as a princess today." There's an error in the dialogue.

And yeah, Corrine's justification for joining Nohr is that she still wants to talk it out with her murderous dad who's tried to kill her like 4 times now?? :psyduck: This writing really could have needed more polish (This game had like, 20 writers right? I guess that explains part of it).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Booky posted:

And yeah, Corrine's justification for joining Nohr is that she still wants to talk it out with her murderous dad who's tried to kill her like 4 times now?? :psyduck: This writing really could have needed more polish (This game had like, 20 writers right? I guess that explains part of it).

And got Gunter murdered by his psychopath assassin.
I remember you Gunter! You awesome but possessing atrocious stats character you!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Carlosologist posted:

Lancer is absolutely necessary for Conquest, but I've sometimes put my Corrin into Ninja for more debuffs

The seal skills definitely ease the pain, but the game is very much doable without them

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Booky posted:

"Nohr will lose two princes/a prince as well as a princess today." There's an error in the dialogue.
Nope, Ryoma's line there is indeed different depending on Corrin's gender.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I fixed it. Also next update almost done,I dunno why I responded.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jakob?! What are you doing here?
I have been searching for you ever since we got separated at the Bottomless Canyon.
I was detained and could not join you as swiftly as I would have liked... But what matters is that I'm here now, ready to help you in any way I can.

So while Felicia was kinda lost, Jakob was actually captured by whoever before escaping.

The stats of the siblings don't really matter because you don't get EXP for them. I will highlight a new tool for Conquest which is the Freeze Staff.

Freeze Staff-D rank, 80 hit, 1-7 range, 4 uses, Reduces enemy’s Movement to 0 and Avoid by 20 until next turn

Freeze is extremely powerful because it essentially eliminates an enemy for a turn, and in some cases makes certain bosses much more hittable.

The objective for this mission is to kill four enemies, which basically means defeat everyone that's not Ryoma. Because unlike Birthright, Xander has like no chance to kill Ryoma.

Corrine vs. Takumi

Hmph. I knew it would come to this. From the moment we met, I knew you couldn't be trusted. And I was right.
Takumi... Please, let me explain.
I have no time for your empty words. Ryoma and the others were fools. I knew trusting a Nohrian would only lead to death and heartbreak.
But I am not Ryoma, nor my siblings. I won't make that same mistake. I shall take great joy in slaying you here and now like the traitor you are!

When defeated

Gah! You may not have honor, but you certainly have skill. This isn't over...

Corrine vs. Hinoka

What exactly do you think you're doing, Corrine?! Betraying us for Nohr... It just can't be true! They must have tricked you somehow, right?
I'm sorry, Hinoka. I just... I can't abandon the ones I loved all these years. It's as simple as that.
Corrine... Say it isn't so...

When defeated

How could this happen?! What have I been fighting for all this time...?

Corrine vs. Sakura

Corrine! Are you r-really gonna fight me right now? What did I ever do to you? All I wanted was to l-love you!
Sakura, I'm so sorry for all this. You didn't do anything wrong, I promise. It's difficult to explain, but I just need you to...um, take a little nap right now.
Sister, no...

good god, seriously?

When defeated

I don't...understand...

Corrine vs. Ryoma

Corrine! Do not allow them to fool you a moment longer. There's still time... Come back to your true family, where you belong!
I'm sorry, Ryoma. I'm afraid that's not possible. I've made up my mind. I'm staying with Xander and my Nohrian siblings.
Very well. Although it pains me, I see you cannot be dissuaded.
In that case, I have no choice but to drag you back to Hoshido by force!

When defeated

drat! I'll have to withdraw for now... This isn't over, Corrine!

Corrine vs. Yukimura

So, here we are. You have come back to us, but with a blade in hand. I suppose it's safe to surmise you have no intention of returning to Hoshido?
You are correct. Nohr is my home. It's where I belong.
How very upsetting. If Lady Mikoto were here to see this, it would break her heart.
Then again, she may just have smiled and said, "It's her path to choose."
Yukimura...
But such talk is pointless, for our dear queen has left this realm. As for myself, I am above all a tactician for the honorable Hoshidan army. As such, I am obligated to prevent you from returning to Nohr!

When defeated

I must withdraw... Forgive me, Lady Mikoto...

Takumi and Hinoka are paired up for this map, but get taken down easily by Leo and Corrine. The latter gets to lvl 9 with + HP/STR/DEF.

It kinda sucks that the siblings don't gain EXP but they'll probably be overleveled when they join anyway.

This is what happens when you try to attack Ryoma. And this is before Ryoma's turn where he gets +30 avoid from Duelist's Blow. Thankfully Xander has an Elixer so you have like 8 turns of Ryoma hitting the decoy.

Welp. And unlike Felicia, a Flame Shuriken can't save Jakob.

Gotta inflate Jakob's kill count.

I know that a princess of Hoshido siding with Nohr seems like the ultimate betrayal.

Yeah, ya think? Especially right after your real mom was murdered?

But I swear on my honor…I will end this war, for all of us. For Nohr and Hoshido—for you and me. I promise you that. Until then…farewell.

*Someone runs over to her*

Azura?
So...you're really leaving us?
Azura, I...
Are you sure about this, Corrine? Once done, it cannot be undone.

It's a tiny bit late for that. She just told Sakura to take a dirt nap.

It is??

These people, I've loved them for as long as I can remember. They are my family.
I see. If that is the path you have chosen, I will not try to stop you.
I am certain we will meet again. But for now... I suppose this is good-bye. *leaves*
Azura...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdCwW6KpHE0

WELCOME TO CONQUEST

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Brain cells... dying... so... stupid...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I know this is a pretty cliche thing to say, but... this is so stupid it literally hurts, and unfortunately I expect it to get EVEN WORSE.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

I fixed it. Also next update almost done,I dunno why I responded.

Gotta get on the next page somehow.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Carlosologist posted:

It's nowhere close to absolutely necessary, though it certainly is handy. That said, Conquest Corrin can get Draconix Hex, which makes them a pretty great debuffer on its own.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I'll be honest, in my run of Conquest I defeated Ryouma because I figured I'd need to and I didn't know who glasses man was. I'm still not entirely sure, is he like the good version of Iago?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Space Bat posted:

I'll be honest, in my run of Conquest I defeated Ryouma because I figured I'd need to and I didn't know who glasses man was. I'm still not entirely sure, is he like the good version of Iago?

He's one of the late queen's advisors, so yeah, basically he's Hoshido's Iago. Except instead of being :moreevil: incarnate, he's just kinda :geno: .

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

He's one of the late queen's advisors, so yeah, basically he's Hoshido's Iago. Except instead of being :moreevil: incarnate, he's just kinda :geno: .
Yukimura is the one responsible for Azura's kidnapping by hiring Shura to do it. Because the best way to prove you are better than the super evil kingdom is to do the exact same thing the evil kingdom did, naturally.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Conquest is fantastic to play by virtue of having vastly superior map design then pretty much any FE since Path of Radiance and making really good and interesting use of all of its gameplay gimmicks, and making enemies interesting in a way beyond just big stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Oh man, all the people talking about how stupid this is - this is the tip of the iceberg. It really, really is.

That said, I went with Nohr because I paid for Conquest and liked the Nohr siblings.

• Locked thread