Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

prefect posted:

They both loved to fight about stuff. :allears:

They were awesome guests, I loved every one of their appearances. My favorites when Howard fought with the two of them when they said some movie was just mediocre instead of excellent, Ebert would force Howard to back up his opinions. They were both brilliant. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Howard had one of my all time favorite ad-libs during an old Siskel and Ebert appearance; for those who don't know, Roger married a black woman who had children from a previous marriage.

Howard said at the Thanksgiving dinner table, Roger must look like the coach.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm going to google Benjys penis. Wish me luck

It's not so bad :shrug:

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 18, 2017

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

euphronius posted:

I'm going to google Benjys penis. Wish me luck

It's not so bad :shrug:

Except for the fact that its attached to Benjy.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I like that Howard called out Robin on that hoax news story she included on Monday. He figured out in ten seconds it couldn't be real but as usual Robin didn't even know where the story came from and didn't do an ounce of research or critical thinking. I would hope this motivates her to put some effort into the newscast in the future but I know she's a 34 so it will never happen.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Former Human posted:

I like that Howard called out Robin on that hoax news story she included on Monday. He figured out in ten seconds it couldn't be real but as usual Robin didn't even know where the story came from and didn't do an ounce of research or critical thinking. I would hope this motivates her to put some effort into the newscast in the future but I know she's a 34 so it will never happen.

What was it about?

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/health/married-twins-couple-struggling-to-make-baby-discover-theyre-twins-4615388/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Finally heard Robin's Syria rant from last week... wow. Rambling like a homeless person. She made zero sense.

It almost sounded racist? Like, "whats wrong with those brown people that we can educate them?"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
There were definitely times in the past that Robin was a real part of the show, but now the only reason she is there is for Howard to focus on her. Not only is she not in the studio again, but her news reading is horrendously bad and unprepared and half the time when Howard tries to include her in a conversation, she just repeats half of what he just said and trails off. She has to be pulling down a pretty large salary, especially for someone whose only involvement in the show is when it is live (so 12 hours a week, 36? weeks a year), and she still seems completely uninterested and uninvolved.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Robin has been coasting since like 2008-2009 or so. She was in it during the first few years of satellite but she faded hard. In all fairness though, if she's sick again her mind is probably elsewhere.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If she's sick and can't perform her duties she should be taking time off to recover just like anyone else should.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She's pretty good and into interviews

She def spaces out during office hijinks and bits.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
"Hey Howard, have you heard about the... uh... new try... uh or... attempt with cars that can drive themselves?"
*Howard talk about it a bit*
"Well a new study from the... uh... NYU... Syracuse... engineers engineering department say it is coming sooner than you think. Doctor... Muuuuu... Mure... Moore found that computers are getting smarter, 1-8."

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Listening to old shows again and we should feel lucky Robin checked out. She used to go on long Jackie impressions that were the absolute worst.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

BobbyK posted:

Listening to old shows again and we should feel lucky Robin checked out. She used to go on long Jackie impressions that were the absolute worst.

Yeah, that could be painful at times, but her lack of awareness was always funny in it's own right.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Fun 'Marcie doesn't control me' rant around 7:30 this morning.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, that could be painful at times, but her lack of awareness was always funny in it's own right.

Yeah her net contribution to the show is positive but there's two things I've outright skipped listening to Stern. John the Stutterer and Robin's Jackie impression

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Oye, oye, oye, oye, oye, oye, oye'm really glad that B-b--b--b-bBILL o, o, oriiiiiieeeeeee, oreiiiiee, ORILEY is finally off the air.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Remulak posted:

Fun 'Marcie doesn't control me' rant around 7:30 this morning.

can you give us the gist of it. Did a caller bring it up?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

JB50 posted:

can you give us the gist of it. Did a caller bring it up?

Odd rant. It started as commenting on unofficial biographies, but turned in to ranting about people lying about him. He did make a fair point that he hates anyone having influence on the show other than himself, so why would he hire Turk to control content. She is there is organize the office, but not dictate content.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

BobbyK posted:

Yeah her net contribution to the show is positive but there's two things I've outright skipped listening to Stern. John the Stutterer and Robin's Jackie impression

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qtRqY27Hs

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I mean I'll take your word for it because I couldn't make it more than 10 seconds

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Lifespan posted:

Odd rant. It started as commenting on unofficial biographies, but turned in to ranting about people lying about him. He did make a fair point that he hates anyone having influence on the show other than himself, so why would he hire Turk to control content. She is there is organize the office, but not dictate content.

I'm listening to it now and it sounds like he is sending a message out to Artie more than anything.

The clip is here for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27oGsPGei7A

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm listening to it now and it sounds like he is sending a message out to Artie more than anything.

It's definitely sad that Artie as guest will probably never happen. Jackie as a guest years back was great, but Artie would probably be incredible since he does not really hold back and you have years of substance abuse, his suicide attempt, his current fight against the show, and the fact that he was never replaced.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Lifespan posted:

She is there is organize the office, but not dictate content.

It's just that her "organizing" the office does dictate content in a way.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Soft Shell Crab posted:

It's just that her "organizing" the office does dictate content in a way.

Exactly, she helping Howard "Get things done"

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lifespan posted:

Didn't he give her a shout out on America's Got Talent a couple years ago and say, "If you love the Stern Show, you love Marci Turk" or something along those lines? That certainly made it seem like she has input on content somewhat

clambake
Aug 30, 2007

Caper posted:

Didn't he give her a shout out on America's Got Talent a couple years ago and say, "If you love the Stern Show, you love Marci Turk" or something along those lines? That certainly made it seem like she has input on content somewhat
I thought it was during the Birthday Show. I thought that in this thread there was a .gif of Beth staring daggers at Howard during that speech.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

clambake posted:

I thought it was during the Birthday Show. I thought that in this thread there was a .gif of Beth staring daggers at Howard during that speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FgdZq4HdKs

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Lifespan posted:

It's definitely sad that Artie as guest will probably never happen. Jackie as a guest years back was great, but Artie would probably be incredible since he does not really hold back and you have years of substance abuse, his suicide attempt, his current fight against the show, and the fact that he was never replaced.

From Howard's perspective, there's really nothing to gain from having Artie in the studio, and way too much of a risk of Artie getting hostile. Plus as much as Howard would never admit it, I'm sure he's listened to some of Artie's rants about how Howard always wanted to fit in with the celebrities, etc., and for a show that once used the slogan "no more bullshit", the rumors about what is going on behind the scenes there are things that Howard wouldn't want on the air. And from the cynical Artie perspective, he'd probably say, "why would he have me on the air when he could have Ellen in again and tell her how much he loves when she dances?".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Howard feels very guilty for his enabling role

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

People are rarely as mad about changes as they are about a lack of transparency and that's true everywhere in life. Keeping people in the dark or underestimating your audience's intelligence is going to piss people off and that's almost entirely what this is about, a total lack of transparency. Now are people owed that? No, not really, but this is the consequence of keeping them in the dark and the response is to be expected.

I guarantee you the Turk rumors eat Howard up at times because he's never not been seen as totally in control of his world, there's a real Trump/Bannon vibe to it. If Howard just came out and said that he's older and more mature and would like to bring us along with him on that journey a lot more people would accept the changes the show has made in recent years but he tries desperately to act like nothing has changed and is constantly wiping and editing his own history and it has all the makings of someone who hasn't changed but is just embarrassed of his past and the fans just aren't having it.

There's really no difference between Hamptons Howie and Hollywood Howie other than the kind of show he did when those transitions happened. People ribbed him a little about joining the Hamptons crowd and marrying Beth but it wasn't really vicious and more of a joke at how far he came when he was so vehemently anti-establishment. Hollywood Howie is the same deal only the show is boring as poo poo now and almost squeaky clean minus a few stunts.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If Artie was on the show it would make his Joe Buck appearance look tame. There is nothing Howard can say that would satisfy him.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
WHERES MY loving MONEY HOWARD. YOURE STEALING MY loving MONEY.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Teddy was a lovely rear end assistant but just fire him dude

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'M NOT YOUR BRO!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

A word cloud of the Teddy/Artie fight would be pretty cool to see. "Bloomie's" would be prominent.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Skip My Posts posted:

Teddy was a lovely rear end assistant but just fire him dude

I have a feeling no competent assistant would tolerate Artie for more than a day, I wonder how many times he sent Teddy to meet his dealer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Can you imagine your obese drug addict boss making fun of you for wiping chip grease on your jeans.