Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
lovely video, but my favorite Saul moment from BB.

How bout it counselor... do you concur??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO6467SKGG8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I really enjoy the long silent Mike stakeout scenes. They do a great job of building tension wondering what will happen to Mike, even though we know he and Saul are both going to make it out of the main timeline of this series alive.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Herv posted:

lovely video, but my favorite Saul moment from BB.

How bout it counselor... do you concur??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO6467SKGG8

I love how even in BB you could always feel the genuine contempt Saul has for authority figures and "legitimate" lawyers who think they're better than him. It kind of baffles me that some people watching BCS are having hard time connecting Jimmy's character to Saul's. Everything about Jimmy is derived from little bits and pieces of what we saw of Saul, right down to Saul's tendency to occasionally exhibit brief flashes of a conscience. It's not a show about a completely different character as some have claimed. The reason Jimmy is the way he is in BCS is because he's the sort of person Vince and co. determined would have something to gain by becoming Saul.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bigass Moth posted:

I really enjoy the long silent Mike stakeout scenes. They do a great job of building tension wondering what will happen to Mike, even though we know he and Saul are both going to make it out of the main timeline of this series alive.

Couldn't disagree more. I hate it, the show feels so much more slower than BB it's hovering around unwatchable. This is three seasons in and Jimmy is further from becoming Saul now than in season one! It's a testament to the quality that I don't want to stop watching but drat it it's slow. Looking at a guy looking menacingly at stuff isn't drama.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I hate it, the show feels so much more slower than BB it's hovering around unwatchable. This is three seasons in and Jimmy is further from becoming Saul now than in season one! It's a testament to the quality that I don't want to stop watching but drat it it's slow. Looking at a guy looking menacingly at stuff isn't drama.

Maybe it's not the show for you. The tempo adds to the tension and drama. Maybe try law & order SVU?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

There's only been two episodes..

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah this show is not going to change its pace all of a sudden, if it's causing you that much frustration it's probably just not your bag

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I hope the show never becomes this "reverse-CSI" you speak of. That sounds terrible
In Vince Gilliagan's hands I'd trust it.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

drunken officeparty posted:

I have never seen chicken and waffles irl and always thought it was gross sounding. Do people actually eat that ew

"ew"? What the hell is wrong with you chicken & waffles is loving fantastic

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really can't stand all this "Jimmy becoming Saul" talk. Other than choosing to go by a different name Jimmy is the same character as Saul at a different point in his life.

They've never felt like completely different characters because BB never showed us behind the curtain of Saul. BCS focuses on Jimmy's life and motivations in a way BB never even attempted. We're seeing the same character at two different points through different lenses.

e: Also I know it's fiction and even in-universe it's some greasy knock of KFC poo poo, but I really wanna try Pollos.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If you don't enjoy ten minutes of Mike watching a fast food restaurant through binoculars on his car's front mirror, you don't deserve to watch good TV.

Show is great and each successive season keeps exceeding my expectations. When I first heard about it I also thought it would have been a light "scheme of the week" comedy, let me just say I am glad that Gilligan is a smarter man than I am when it comes to making TV shows.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
better. call. saul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtVypX5qvEg

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

e: Also I know it's fiction and even in-universe it's some greasy knock of KFC poo poo, but I really wanna try Pollos.

Honestly, I think Pollos would be actual good fast food chicken, since apart from the drug kingpin thing (yes I know this is a huge part of his life) Gus seemed to be a p. good dude. He doesn't need to worry about profit margins or anything like that, I can see Pollos being absolutely delicious because why not?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Fried chicken goes well with waffles because fried chicken goes well with any starch you want. Biscuits, rice, french fries, mashed potatoes... why wouldn't it be good with waffles? Open your mind and your heart.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Honestly, I think Pollos would be actual good fast food chicken, since apart from the drug kingpin thing (yes I know this is a huge part of his life) Gus seemed to be a p. good dude. He doesn't need to worry about profit margins or anything like that, I can see Pollos being absolutely delicious because why not?

Los Pollos Hermanos has a great retirement plan for employees.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Uh he kinda does have to charge as much as Burger King or whatever. Probably more because he doesn't have the scale. For one it would just look fishy if a resteraunt sold food for at or below cost, and B. he has to be making legitimate profits to launder the drug money in with

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Junkyard Poodle posted:

Maybe it's not the show for you. The tempo adds to the tension and drama. Maybe try law & order SVU?

Or maybe Fargo? S3 starts today

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I always thought of Pollos Hermanos as a re‐themed Blake’s Lotaburger.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's what I always assumed too: that Gus would make his restaurant exceptional because he doesn't really cut corners anywhere, and like you said with no margins to think about, he probably gets the best, most delicious ingredients and employees he can get his hands on.

gently caress I'm hungry.

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Or maybe Fargo? S3 starts today

Oh poo poo, thanks for reminding me friend.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think it makes for a more powerful villain if the chicken is bad

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You know I can't see anyway Better Call Saul season 3 isn't the best show on television this ye-

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Fargo S3 starts today

Welp, you had a good run Jimmy!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I don't mind the slow pace of the story at all but Mike sitting in a car for ten minutes is really excessive, especially when the payoff to one of those scenes is seeing a "Los Pollos Hermanos" sign. That means nothing unless you've watched Breaking Bad so in its own right it is pointless unless you believe the aesthetic experience of seeing tediousness translated to screen justified it.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I can only imagine that the Pollos batter is spicy, and being in NM I'm sure they've got all kinds of green hatch chili items and stuff. I'd eat there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't mind the Mike sitting in a car scenes, but the cynical side of me is thinking one thing: AMC budget cuts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Better Call Saul has never seemed like a particularly expensive show to shoot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I don't mind the Mike sitting in a car scenes, but the cynical side of me is thinking one thing: AMC budget cuts.

From the way the folks on the Insider Podcast talk about money and new drones and stuff for production, I don't know, it sounds like they're doing okay. Did someone ITT earlier say ratings weren't great?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Breaming Bad is my favorite teleborgy show

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Better Call Saul has never seemed like a particularly expensive show to shoot.

So maybe they are saving their money for something.....

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can only imagine that the Pollos batter is spicy, and being in NM I'm sure they've got all kinds of green hatch chili items and stuff. I'd eat there.

The way Don Eladio says pollo tan picoso makes me really wanna try that spicy chicken.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Hamlin clambering over the wall in his suit is the whitest thing I've ever seen

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

where the gently caress is michael mando!?!?!?!? he better be int he next episode dammit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

I don't mind the slow pace of the story at all but Mike sitting in a car for ten minutes is really excessive, especially when the payoff to one of those scenes is seeing a "Los Pollos Hermanos" sign. That means nothing unless you've watched Breaming Bad so in its own right it is pointless unless you believe the aesthetic experience of seeing tediousness translated to screen justified it.

The way all the promos have been pushing Gus so hard totally sapped all the suspense from it too. There wasn't any question what the sign would be, so treating it like a big reveal was kind of weird. Mike takes up way too much time in this show in general, and giving him plodding scenes to tell us what we already know makes it worse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sinteres posted:

The way all the promos have been pushing Gus so hard totally sapped all the suspense from it too. There wasn't any question what the sign would be, so treating it like a big reveal was kind of weird. Mike takes up way too much time in this show in general, and giving him plodding scenes to tell us what we already know makes it worse.

This always happens. The people making the show or movie work hard to make a cool reveal. Then the PR campaign ruins it.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm eagerly anticipating Mikes rectal exam episode where we get an exquisite reverse-inside out shot that only Gilligan and co can pull off

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

R-Type posted:

I'm eagerly anticipating Mikes rectal exam episode where we get an exquisite reverse-inside out shot that only Gilligan and co can pull off

He certainly is of an age where he needs to get that prostate looked at.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Last Chance posted:

Gus would make his restaurant exceptional because he doesn't really cut corners anywhere, and like you said with no margins to think about, he probably gets the best, most delicious ingredients and employees he can get his hands on.

This is what I want to believe.

drunken officeparty posted:

Uh he kinda does have to charge as much as Burger King or whatever. Probably more because he doesn't have the scale. For one it would just look fishy if a resteraunt sold food for at or below cost, and B. he has to be making legitimate profits to launder the drug money in with

This is what I sadly fear to be true.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The "secret menu item" is Christmas except it's not a secret at all. But it makes the locals feel special.

Edit: also, there is a Pablo Escobar quote on the underside of the small soda.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

Last Chance posted:

From the way the folks on the Insider Podcast talk about money and new drones and stuff for production, I don't know, it sounds like they're doing okay. Did someone ITT earlier say ratings weren't great?

According to my sources, it is among AMC's top performing shows that are not about Zombies; but by comparison to those Zombie shows it is well down.

It does, however, state that people tend to go back and watch BB before the season premieres; so it might be indirectly making them money that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Netflix helps a lot with that.

• Locked thread