Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

What do you guys do by way of galaxy generation settings? I've just been going by the defaults, only switching between elliptical and spiral shapes now and then.

I almost always use spiral. I use tiny to test concepts and large for "normal" games. Usually with hyper lanes only.

If you want a change of pace try a ring Galaxy with only Wormholes.

It is almost as good as hyper lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I grabbed a mod that has more galaxy sizes so it's not like a jump between 150 stars and 500 stars or whatever the default is.
Been enjoying 400ish star games. 25% planets, above default number of AI, hyperlane only of course. On smaller maps arms often work out a bit wonky with hyperlanes so I go with boring old standard.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I like really crazy, cluttered games so I tend to play with 1000 stars, maximum habitable planets and the max number of AI+FEs.

Edit: It does tend to get tedious later on, but I usually don't really play them out all the way to the bitter end. Usually I just accomplish whatever it was I wanted to do when I started.

Edit 2: I also use that one mod that makes unique stuff (like the leviathans, special systems, etc.) spawn every game.

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 19, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Edwhirl posted:

I like really crazy, cluttered games so I tend to play with 1000 stars, maximum habitable planets and the max number of AI+FEs.

But but.. what if the sector AI does something non-optimal and you miss it because you don't have time to constantly snoop on your planets? What if though the sheer size of the game you lose track of remembering to go back to a planet you colonized but want to go back to move the capital to optimize the bonuses??

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Baronjutter posted:

But but.. what if the sector AI does something non-optimal and you miss it because you don't have time to constantly snoop on your planets? What if though the sheer size of the game you lose track of remembering to go back to a planet you colonized but want to go back to move the capital to optimize the bonuses??

I don't really care.

I throw things in a sector and treat it like a foreign empire and just forget it exists for the most part.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Edwhirl posted:

I don't really care.

I throw things in a sector and treat it like a foreign empire and just forget it exists for the most part.

I'll think you'll find you are not spergy enough for this thread, friend.

(Seriously everyone, do this. It makes the game more fun.)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Dr Snofeld posted:

What do you guys do by way of galaxy generation settings? I've just been going by the defaults, only switching between elliptical and spiral shapes now and then.

Small (400 stars), 2 Spiral, Hyperlanes Only
Default otherwise except I go up to 2 FE instead of the default 1

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Huh, it sounds like hyperlanes only is pretty popular. Didn't expect that. Do ya'll like it because it prevents "back-capping" and what not?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chomp8645 posted:

Huh, it sounds like hyperlanes only is pretty popular. Didn't expect that. Do ya'll like it because it prevents "back-capping" and what not?

Yeah I find it's the only travel mode that gives any sense of a map or "fronts" in a war, it's the only mode that makes defense stations remotely useful. I think it doesn't go far enough though, I'd love it if your fleets had to in-system travel from one side to the other, like they could only travel to system B if they flew close enough to the little arrow to system B. Just balanced out with slightly quicker in-system movement and wind-up times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I like default size 4-arm spirals myself. You still get a sense of geography from the spirals, but without having to impose hyperlanes (I despise hyperlanes). I usually add a few more AI empires as well, along with at least one more FE; the defaults make the galaxy feel way too empty.

I keep meaning to try a game with an absolute ton of AI empires and that distributed start mod just so that the whole galaxy actually does fill up quickly and see how that feels, but I play mostly MP, so I haven't gotten around to it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Edwhirl posted:

I don't really care.

This was me until utopia and now I can't handle a planet not pumping out max unity.

As an aside, what if megastructures cost unity to build instead of influence? Then they could be cooler because they're delaying additional unlocks and/or costing you the resources you're not earning from all those unity tiles.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
4-arm spiral. You're constrained to your first arm unless you're hyperlaning and are at the strategic junction, giving the second drive upgrade a classic 'you may now move on ocean tiles' feel.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason I'd want to vassalize and integrate instead of conquering outright?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Aethernet posted:

4-arm spiral. You're constrained to your first arm unless you're hyperlaning and are at the strategic junction, giving the second drive upgrade a classic 'you may now move on ocean tiles' feel.

Yeah I do this. Also it typically, somehow, prevents me from being boxed in from all angles. I played Elliptical for a while with clustering off and it still felt like every time I could only go four systems in any given direction. I end up thieving territory by advancing frontier outposts and that makes me space Hitler apparently.

On spiral I send one science ship in each direction along with one constructor, and drop frontier outposts the moment I meet unidentified empires. Sometimes my entire territory is frontier outposts because there's no habitables, it's very precarious. One time the only habitables were two Holy Worlds. That was... fun.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Soup du Journey posted:

Is there any reason I'd want to vassalize and integrate instead of conquering outright?

If you've invested in the Domination tradition tree then maybe. Or if you're playing Pacifist, then Liberate-Vassalize-Integrate is the way to go.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Soup du Journey posted:

You avoid the happiness penalty for recently conquered, at least. It might also be less war score? I haven't seen the math.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Soup du Journey posted:

As above, only if you're pacifist. However, if you're playing Tall Pacifist you might want to try Liberate > Federalise, which with the Unity buff is reasonably powerful and makes for some interesting gameplay right up until you have to face a serious threat like the Unbidden and realise the, "Form up on my fleet, you retards," button doesn't work.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So I thought at first the spiral-feed power hubs were something you could spam with escalating happiness penalties, but I guess they simply replace regular power hubs, perform no better, give a happiness penalty and provide no unity if you have the power hub unity tradition? Why exactly would I use them?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

So I thought at first the spiral-feed power hubs were something you could spam with escalating happiness penalties, but I guess they simply replace regular power hubs, perform no better, give a happiness penalty and provide no unity if you have the power hub unity tradition? Why exactly would I use them?

You wouldn't

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
But they cost a lot of research. :(

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Pretty sure annexing planets generates more threat than vassalizing, so if you're doing a lot of it you'll start to see empires banding together against you.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Strudel Man posted:

But they cost a lot of research. :(

You use them because you Love The Worm like The Worm Loves You.

(also, aren't they better than T1 power hubs, just not better than T2?)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Should be an ascension perk that buffs FTL in your territory. Much larger/unlimited warp range within borders, go directly from one hyperlane to the next without wind down/up, travel from any wormhole system to any other so long as they're both within your borders, jump drive... same as warp? Maybe make it so they have to be within the same contiguous border, so no jumping from one side of the galaxy to the other because you plopped down a frontier outpost. I dunno, that's probably way too good though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Knowing how to fight the Unbidden makes them kind of a non issue, they just showed​ and I chewed through 250k fleet power and their portal with just 70k

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FE's are kinda the same way, once you know how to fight them it's easy to knock one over with about 40k fleet power.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah it's just kinda sad, the first time was so frantic and now just hammer em with bullets

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Conskill posted:

Are they still functional? Last I heard is you keep the civic, but it shuts off if you no longer meet the requirements for it.

Wiz posted:

Sounds like a bug. Will look into it.

Yeah, still working. I demolished this farm and my unity production dropped accordingly. You can see I had shifted (accidentally) from Egalitarian-Pacifist-Materialist to Fanatic Egalitarian-Materialist

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

FE's are kinda the same way, once you know how to fight them it's easy to knock one over with about 40k fleet power.

In my last game there was a War in Heaven and the opposing awakened FE had a stack of 177k and my little 80k stack couldn't scratch it. Of course my Awakened FE buddy wouldn't help at all. I just ended up abandoning it and starting a new game with just one FE to keep the War in Heaven from spawning.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Spiral galaxies looks interesting from both aesthetic and gameplay perspectives but you might as well name them "gently caress hyperlanes" so I'm sticking with ellipticals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

(also, aren't they better than T1 power hubs, just not better than T2?)
I guess, but that's not much of a consolation.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

deathbagel posted:

In my last game there was a War in Heaven and the opposing awakened FE had a stack of 177k and my little 80k stack couldn't scratch it.
Yeah, fallen empires seem to absolutely skyrocket in fleet power after awakening. Are they actually building those ships, or are they event presents?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, fallen empires seem to absolutely skyrocket in fleet power after awakening. Are they actually building those ships, or are they event presents?

Awakened Empires act like regular ones as far as I know, meaning they're building their own poo poo. Due to them being well past the end of the tech tree and deep in bonus repeatable territory, this means they can poo poo out absolutely enormous numbers of absurdly powerful ships.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Awakened Empires act like regular ones as far as I know, meaning they're building their own poo poo. Due to them being well past the end of the tech tree and deep in bonus repeatable territory, this means they can poo poo out absolutely enormous numbers of absurdly powerful ships.
I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense with their limited numbers of planets, though. Construction time is a bottleneck, and even with their ancient buildings, it seems like they'd still be mineral-limited as well in terms of trying to churn out endless ships.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I find that Awakened Empires are pretty hit-and-miss at the moment. They can build ships and will colonize new planets as they try to push out but they don't ever build anything on their new or conquered planets. I can't count the number of times I've started picking off territory only to win a bunch of dismantled colony ships and a planet full of angry pops on empty tiles. They can do everything else but they can't build buildings...

If you manage to drag a Fallen Empire into a war early enough and pick away at it's fleet before suing for peace you can pick them over later (provided they don't wake up) because they will not rebuild their fleet or armies.

edit:

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not sure that makes a ton of sense with their limited numbers of planets, though. Construction time is a bottleneck, and even with their ancient buildings, it seems like they'd still be mineral-limited as well in terms of trying to churn out endless ships.
IIRC Fallen Empires start the game with every tech and level 5 in all the repeatable techs so they can start to stack up incredible bonuses right off the bat. They also usually have the minerals and energy to support building massive fleets without doing anything else.

If anything, their stagnating research (since they never build labs or science stations) will be what hold them back in the late game. Usually if you're pushing hard you can get caught up as each repeatable tech takes more and more research to complete.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

They do have lots of repeatable +% to minerals/energy techs and some other things, plus all their special poo poo.

Or maybe there's some under the hood fuckery to them, who knows!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shugojin posted:

Or maybe there's some under the hood fuckery to them, who knows!

IIRC they get a one time massive boost of ships when they awaken.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hopefully that will include the option to terraform planets that you don't actually own.

Terrorforming, if you will.

Having this little baby in game would make me the happiest nerd.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh poo poo I accidentally wiped out a bunch of pre-sentients I had planned to uplift. Their planet was 20% for me and mine were 20% for them so I Gaia'd it thinking we could coexist happily. I was apparently incorrect.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Making sweeping changes to a world's ecosystem in a very short span of time harms the current inhabitants of that ecosystem? I am truly shocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Every endgame crisis I get is the loving unbidden and for the first time ever I was finally able to amass a fleet to take them out. Now what do I do- Build ring worlds until my computer can no longer process actions of the game?

• Locked thread