Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I heard Crow say "What a dick!" (without the weed!) in the Christmas episode, too. Still, it feels like something most parents would be okay letting their kids watch, once they're like ten or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
I just watched Carnival Magic and every aspect of that movie confounded my senses and upset me to my core

So it's a great episode, is what I'm saying.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kojiro posted:

I just watched Carnival Magic and every aspect of that movie confounded my senses and upset me to my core

So it's a great episode, is what I'm saying.

Well, and now you can start immersing yourself in the whole Carnival Magic Shared Universe. Skip 2 Carnival 2 Magic, though, it's just a retread, except the carnival's in New Mexico and half the movie is setting up spin-offs.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BJPaskoff posted:

It's really interesting how they mostly avoid the obvious dirty jokes. I used to think it was just a product of the time that they couldn't get too obscene on cable, but now I believe it's just their style of humor. It's probably for the better, a lesser movie riffing group would probably lean too heavily on the easy dirty comments.

it's also just lazy. this is a show that drops obscure literature references and some super deep cut material, they dont need to resort to cheap insults

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My brother's response "Yeah, it's great...if you like watching old movies."

I wonder if this will be a common take-away from all the people who just knew it was a famous nerd thing and nothing more.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Who wouldn't like watching old movies

Old movies are great

Also every movie is an old movie after it gets released. Right now there are people who think Twilight is an old movie.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Burkion posted:

Who wouldn't like watching old movies

Old movies are great

Also every movie is an old movie after it gets released. Right now there are people who think Twilight is an old movie.

Yeah every time I even think about watching Bay Transformers or something, I remind myself that there is like a 100 years worth of great movies I haven't seen yet, and I watch something else.

That's not to say I might not watch it with Rifftrax at some point however.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Covok posted:

My brother's response "Yeah, it's great...if you like watching old movies."

I wonder if this will be a common take-away from all the people who just knew it was a famous nerd thing and nothing more.

I mean, he's not wrong.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh good, your wedding yeti is here!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Even Rifftrax couldn't save the second Bay Transformers when I tried to watch it, that was an utterly miserable slog to sit through.

Oh yeah, here's a dumb little thing I've been wondering lately -- when you think about the MST3K theme song, which version is the one that usually pops into your head? For me it tends to be the one from seasons 8-9, because when I was first getting into MST3K (around the time Youtube became a thing) I tended to watch a lot more of the Sci-Fi stuff than the older episodes. I guess I figured that since the Sci-Fi episodes were more recent, that'd mean I might be able to get more of the jokes since the references wouldn't be quite as dated.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Until the new series came out it was usually the season three or four theme for me, now it's always the season eleven theme.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The theme in my head still says Joel who works at Gizmonic Institute, and involves the creation of his Robot friends.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They hired a temp by the name of Mike,
Just a regular joe they didn't like
Their experiment needed a good test case
So they conk'd him on the noggin' and they shot him into spaa-aaaaace.

Mike was my first host.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Season 8. It was my entry point into the series since VH1 and Comedy Central shared a channel in my home town back in the day and the wrong half of CC played for me to see MST3k.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

boner confessor posted:

it's also just lazy. this is a show that drops obscure literature references and some super deep cut material, they dont need to resort to cheap insults

There are ways to go blue and be funny, but there are vastly more ways to use blue language as a substitute for being funny.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

remusclaw posted:

The theme in my head still says Joel who works at Gizmonic Institute, and involves the creation of his Robot friends.

Same.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I started watching in the SciFi channel days so it's always been this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGTY-pQj3I

Crow: "I'm different!" is such a meta line now that I've watched the Trace era eps too

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mine will always be the misheard version where Crow just goes BAT GUANO for no reason

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In the not too distant future,
Next Sunday A.D.
There was a guy named Joel
Not too different from you or me.
He worked at Gizmonic Institute
Just another guy in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place,
But his bosses didn't like him so they shot him into space!
"We'll send him cheesy movies."
"The worst we can find."
"Shalala"
"He'll have to sit and watch them all
And the monitor is mine"
"Shalala"
Now, keep in mind Joel can't control when the movies begin or end
Because he used those special parts to make his robot friends.
Robot rollcall!
Cambot
Gyspy
Tom Servo
Croooooow!
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts,
"Shalala"
Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax!
It's time for Mystery Science Theatre 3000!

----

What season is that? Also, typing that on a phone was agony.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
1 through half of 5, I believe.

I bounce back and forth, but it does sound wrong to me when the "I'll send him cheesy movies" part isn't done by a woman, so any of them from, like, season 8 to 11 works for me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, the lyrics stayed the same throughout Joel's run (not counting KTMA, of course) and this "classic" version of the theme has stuck with me as well. Not quite to the extent the S8-S9 version has, though, so for me "In the not too distant future" is usually followed by "somewhere in time and space."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm also prone to randomly interrupting the song in my head with the "JOKES! PROFESSIONAL JOKES!" from the Rifftrax song.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Covok posted:

"He'll have to sit and watch them all
And the monitor is mine"

"And we'll monitor his mind." Just to clarify.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"And we'll monitor his mind." Just to clarify.

Oh

Oh

Oh!

That makes so much more sense! That's why they say it was an experiment to see if it will drive them crazy.

Also the death scene in Yongary was way overdone. "Look, he's dancing, he's like Gamera...now, watch him slowly suffer and die and bleed out his rear end in his death throes."

Edit: lol They're doing a song about it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2017

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure my first full MST3k was Fire Maidens of Outer Space circa '92

Because of the line in the theme song:
Now, keep in mind Joel can't control when the movies begin or end
Because he used those special parts to make his robot friends.

I assumed that the films were shown out of order. Like just random clips from the movie.
And I went through Fire Maidens and Attack of the the Eye Creatures. before I doubted that was true.

Also, I assume it was all improvised and I was amazed at their ability to come up with everything so quickly.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Is Ardy (Joel's character) supposed to be like "R&D"?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
bat guano!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

If that's you're real name.

Where is that from?

E: Ha gently caress. "Fire Maidens..."

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Ape of Naples posted:

Also, I assume it was all improvised and I was amazed at their ability to come up with everything so quickly.

I think a lot of people, including the many intimadators, felt that way. It is hard to do longform improv like that, though. I'd argue impossible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

remusclaw posted:

This one. I started watching with Episode 1, The Crawling Eye and that tune will be with me till I die.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Gonna have to expand that again.

Covok posted:

I think a lot of people, including the many intimadators, felt that way. It is hard to do longform improv like that, though. I'd argue impossible.

In season 0, the riffs are all improvised. Notably, they don't riff very often. They got themselves a writing staff when they moved to the Comedy Channel, but it took until season 2 to develop the formula they'd use for the rest of the show.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh yeah, here's a dumb little thing I've been wondering lately -- when you think about the MST3K theme song, which version is the one that usually pops into your head?

Until last Friday, the Mike one.

Now, the Monster Rap.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Someone has! https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3K/comments/65shur/in_celebration_of_the_new_season_i_remade_the/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Edit: gah, beaten

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do miss Mike yelling "GET... ME... DOWNNNNN!"

Maybe if they get renewed we can get Jonah yelling "LET ME GOOOOO!"?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

This is how it sounds to me, some weird amalgamation of the Joel and Mike era theme

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
The first ep is bad

Covok
May 27, 2013

Wait, in Carnival Magic, why did Jonah get replaced with someone else at the end for one frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I never liked the season 7 version because the Pearl thing just doesn't fit.