Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Here's a question:

My HVAC guy said to use a thinner filter during the summer while my A/C is pumping more often for better airflow. I wonder if that matters or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

No Butt Stuff posted:

Here's a question:

My HVAC guy said to use a thinner filter during the summer while my A/C is pumping more often for better airflow. I wonder if that matters or not.

You should use whatever filter and schedule is recommended for the system and the way its designed. My system is designed for the thin fiberglass filters that get changed monthly. Putting a thicker filter in there screws with the airflow in the system and makes it less efficient. If your system is designed for the thicker filters you change less frequently use those.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's not, that I'm aware of. I'll pull the documentation tonight to be sure.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Where does one get information related to those things that you never knew you didn't know how to do before owning a house i.e. how to de-winterize your sprinkler lines? I know I could just google, just wondering if there's like a specific website that deals with mundane home ownership and maintenance stuff.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Where does one get information related to those things that you never knew you didn't know how to do before owning a house i.e. how to de-winterize your sprinkler lines? I know I could just google, just wondering if there's like a specific website that deals with mundane home ownership and maintenance stuff.

I usually just google every single one.

For that one, there's a little box in the front of the house and you just turn the water valve back on. In my city we have to have backflow testing and reported to the city by every July, so usually they just turn it on then.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

You should use whatever filter and schedule is recommended for the system and the way its designed. My system is designed for the thin fiberglass filters that get changed monthly. Putting a thicker filter in there screws with the airflow in the system and makes it less efficient. If your system is designed for the thicker filters you change less frequently use those.
You can use pleated filters as long as you don't go crazy with the MERV levels, normal pleated MERV7 or mini-pleated MERV8 (Nordic Pure Tru-Mini) will have very similar airflow resistance to those crappy flat filters and will actually catch all the dust. The real nightmare is people trying to use 3M Filtrete or MERV12+ filters. This site did a bunch of testing of different air filters to compare performance and airflow resistance.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 19, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I prefer cool white (just 1000K warmer, and more readily available) but I agree that warm light should be for listening to vinyl records in lamp lit rooms only.

this is the correct light bulb opinion

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

I have a mortgage documents question, which ultimately might be beyond this thread's ability to give advice for, but there's no harm in trying.

I've signed an offer to purchase, and have chosen a mortgage lender. This lender provided a Loan Estimate for a 10/1 ARM when I applied, and a 15 year traditional a few day later at my request. I'd like to go with this lender for the 15 year traditional, but the documentation they've provided to me to sign all references the earlier, 10/1 ARM estimate. I've requested that they change this to reference the estimate I'd like to go with, but the representative I've talked to says: 1. They can't change the wording on the original documents due to Dodd-Frank, and 2: It isn't important which estimate the documents reference as I have email correspondence indicating that I'm pursuing the 15 year option.

Having looked at what I assume are the related legalese, and I'm not-a-lawyer certain that 1. is untrue, as the borrower (me) is asking them to make a change to the original estimate. The 2nd part seems unusual to me, as this would be a pretty easy paperwork fix. What I'm looking to know is - Do these documents really matter, or can this all be changed before closing, and, If they do matter; should I request that a different representative handle my mortgage, or just run like hell from this company?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blorange posted:

I have a mortgage documents question, which ultimately might be beyond this thread's ability to give advice for, but there's no harm in trying.

I've signed an offer to purchase, and have chosen a mortgage lender. This lender provided a Loan Estimate for a 10/1 ARM when I applied, and a 15 year traditional a few day later at my request. I'd like to go with this lender for the 15 year traditional, but the documentation they've provided to me to sign all references the earlier, 10/1 ARM estimate. I've requested that they change this to reference the estimate I'd like to go with, but the representative I've talked to says: 1. They can't change the wording on the original documents due to Dodd-Frank, and 2: It isn't important which estimate the documents reference as I have email correspondence indicating that I'm pursuing the 15 year option.

Having looked at what I assume are the related legalese, and I'm not-a-lawyer certain that 1. is untrue, as the borrower (me) is asking them to make a change to the original estimate. The 2nd part seems unusual to me, as this would be a pretty easy paperwork fix. What I'm looking to know is - Do these documents really matter, or can this all be changed before closing, and, If they do matter; should I request that a different representative handle my mortgage, or just run like hell from this company?

Do not, ever, sign anything that indicates something other than exactly what you want. Never Ever.

They absolutely can provide you with a different loan, they cannot change your qualifications for the loans.

You are bidding this out to several lenders right?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

H110Hawk posted:

Do not, ever, sign anything that indicates something other than exactly what you want. Never Ever.

They absolutely can provide you with a different loan, they cannot change your qualifications for the loans.

You are bidding this out to several lenders right?

Absolutely.

Yes, I've gone to multiple lenders, and the annoying thing is this estimate is beating the others by decent amount. I'm still 2 months out from close, so if this falls through I have other options to fall back on.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
We did it! We closed on our house! :woop::cry::woop::cry:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blorange posted:

Absolutely.

Yes, I've gone to multiple lenders, and the annoying thing is this estimate is beating the others by decent amount. I'm still 2 months out from close, so if this falls through I have other options to fall back on.

Tell them you're going to go with a lender who will give you the terms you want, emphasize you aren't changing anything about your income, appraisal value, or amount financed. They likely make more commission off that ARM than the fixed rate mortgage. Take your Loan Estimate for the 15-year fixed to your next best offer lender and ask them to beat it. I bet they at least meet it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

We did it! We closed on our house! :woop::cry::woop::cry:

Better break out the Lowes card you're gonna need a lot of LED light bulbs

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Photex posted:

Better break out the Lowes card you're gonna need a lot of LED light bulbs

This got a geniune lol out of me, thanks.

I had an energy audit done today, and the conclusion from the guy was while I might want to caulk around my window, including considering temporary caulk on my seals during the winter, the energy advantage to payoff going from double pane to triple pane windows would "literally be longer than the lifetime of my daughter's children." My daughter is 10 months old.

He did give me a free programmable thermostat and some low flow showerheads and faucet aerators though!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

therobit posted:

I gather leasehold is a lot more common in the UK, but I don't really know the reasons for it. In about 5 years dealing almost exclusively with home refinancing in the US, looking at thousands of loans, I think I have seen one or two leaseholds. It seems like it is only common here in indian reservations.

Probably some weird historic lord / serf arrangement. I think it's basically not solvable at this point as essentially all flats here are leasehold.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Blorange posted:

Absolutely.

Tell the ARM lender that they can provide you with a 15 year fixed Loan Estimate or that you will go with one of their competitors.

I bet they'll figure out the law real quick.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I am pretty sure that the leasehold/freehold situation basically derives from more feudal arrangements of ownership, where largely only nobility owned actual land, and so everyone else was essentially building their homes on land that was owned by whatever local noble, who retained the ownership of the actual land. Obviously that changed, but the practice of separating the ownership of land and structures already established and perpetuated. There is also the fact that most leaseholds were very long, usually decades or more, so they were difficult to change and would exist concurrently with any new developments for many years, making them very resilient to change.

The UK actually leased Hong Kong from China on a 99-year lease, an arrangement that survived two changes of government.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
After submitting the list of things we want the seller to fix or credit us for, he offered to have the HVAC serviced plus crediting us a grand. That's $1,000 to replace a decayed load-bearing exterior post, repair or replace a sliding glass door with a broken moisture seal, plus some minor but important plumbing and electrical work (including a cracked garbage disposal). I get that he doesn't want to arrange all these repairs from out-of-state, but he's going to have to credit us more than that.

Just thinking out loud, I suppose.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I had an energy audit done today, and the conclusion from the guy was while I might want to caulk around my window, including considering temporary caulk on my seals during the winter, the energy advantage to payoff going from double pane to triple pane windows would "literally be longer than the lifetime of my daughter's children." My daughter is 10 months old.

He did give me a free programmable thermostat and some low flow showerheads and faucet aerators though!

I am afraid of what my energy audit would say. I need to get one.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Tell the ARM lender that they can provide you with a 15 year fixed Loan Estimate or that you will go with one of their competitors.

I bet they'll figure out the law real quick.

If the poster can get the claim of a 15 year fixed for signing the arm paperwork in writing (email will do) he would have a hilarious court case where that lender would hopefully lose their license.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What about attic insulation and air sealing?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm filling out a form to get a mortgage pre-approval and it's asking for a list price on the property. We're getting this for house hunting, so we don't have a price yet. What do I put there? I can't not put anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A pre-approval is for a specific amount of loan. Just put down how much you want to borrow.

But. You generally should not present to a seller a pre-approval for a lot more money than the price you're going to offer on the house, so it's common to get a pre-approval for a specific offer. For now, just pick how much you're budgeting for.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Leperflesh posted:

A pre-approval is for a specific amount of loan. Just put down how much you want to borrow.

But. You generally should not present to a seller a pre-approval for a lot more money than the price you're going to offer on the house, so it's common to get a pre-approval for a specific offer. For now, just pick how much you're budgeting for.

Ok that's what I did. Just wanted to double check.

We have our first meeting with a realtor next week and they wanted us to have spoken to a lender before our meeting. I've asked if that means a pre-approval or just shopping around and I'm waiting to hear back before I officially submit an application.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Problem! posted:

Ok that's what I did. Just wanted to double check.

We have our first meeting with a realtor next week and they wanted us to have spoken to a lender before our meeting. I've asked if that means a pre-approval or just shopping around and I'm waiting to hear back before I officially submit an application.

The realtor just wants to make sure your finances are not so hosed up that lenders won't talk on you. So you're probably fine, just bring in a pre approval or some sort of pre-qualification letter. You can get that from like a bank website in five minutes

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Problem! posted:

I'm filling out a form to get a mortgage pre-approval and it's asking for a list price on the property. We're getting this for house hunting, so we don't have a price yet. What do I put there? I can't not put anything.

"Yo bank bro I make $gross_income and have $x other debt servicing how much can I borrow" - They will tell you the maximum ratio, put that down. That sheet of paper is as worth while as used toilet paper.

Do not borrow anywhere close to that amount of money unless you really enjoy financial hardship.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 21, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

devicenull posted:

What about attic insulation and air sealing?

Apparently our attic has a (very high number) R of insulation everywhere except right over the access panel into the attic itself, so I'm going to think about that as a long term project. He said energy savings on that project would be on the order of $15 a year or something.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

H110Hawk posted:

"Yo bank bro I make $gross_income and have $x other debt servicing how much can I borrow" - They will tell you the maximum ratio, put that down. That sheet of paper is as worth while as used toilet paper.

Do not borrow anywhere close to that amount of money unless you really enjoy financial hardship.

Fun ratio, I was independently qualified by our lender to borrow 6x the eventual purchase price of our home, without incorporating my wife's earnings (or lovely credit) at all. We're not struggling to make payments but wow is it nice not to have to choke on a mortgage every month.

Buy as little house as you possibly can.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you're in a market that can afford it, 3x your yearly earning is a fantastic guideline for making sure you buy a house that doesn't leave you broke and living paycheck to paycheck.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Fun ratio, I was independently qualified by our lender to borrow 6x the eventual purchase price of our home, without incorporating my wife's earnings (or lovely credit) at all. We're not struggling to make payments but wow is it nice not to have to choke on a mortgage every month.

It's insane. We were prequalified for $625k @ 3.5% down. We bought a house for 25% less than that with 10% down.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, living below your means is really nice as far as that goes - we ended up borrowing about 1.9x our yearly (combined) income, no worries about the payment whatsoever.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
So lenders are still willing to make large, risky loans to people that would have a difficult time affording payments. Isn't that one of the big reasons for the housing crash of the mid 00's? One lender I talked to qualified me for a loan nearly 6x my yearly net income with as little as 3% down payment. I did some quick math and calculated such a loan would mean a monthly payment of almost 70% of my monthly income not counting PMI fees. Granted, I had excellent credit, stable employment and a huge sum of savings in the bank at the time, so I was an ideal low-risk candidate for a large loan. But not committing to risky financial obligations like borrowing such a loan is exactly why I was a great candidate in the first place.

I think a good general rule is not to borrow the maximum amount you're qualified for. I ended up borrowing about 1.6x my yearly income and I have no trouble making payments. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you borrow the max amount you either can't afford a house or you can't afford the house you want to buy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vinny the Shark posted:

So lenders are still willing to make large, risky loans to people that would have a difficult time affording payments. Isn't that one of the big reasons for the housing crash of the mid 00's? One lender I talked to qualified me for a loan nearly 6x my yearly net income with as little as 3% down payment. I did some quick math and calculated such a loan would mean a monthly payment of almost 70% of my monthly income not counting PMI fees. Granted, I had excellent credit, stable employment and a huge sum of savings in the bank at the time, so I was an ideal low-risk candidate for a large loan. But not committing to risky financial obligations like borrowing such a loan is exactly why I was a great candidate in the first place.

I think a good general rule is not to borrow the maximum amount you're qualified for. I ended up borrowing about 1.6x my yearly income and I have no trouble making payments. You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Lenders' actuarial tables tell them that borrowers in your category are a certain very very very low % risk of default. That is all that matters. They don't know or care how you manage your finances; your credit score tells them you're reliable, your debt-to-income tells them this new loan doesn't put you over a certain threshhold where you'll be a higher default risk, so you're fine.

Some people will go ahead and live like paupers on a large income in order to afford a ruinous payment. As long as they're not defaulting, the bank don't care.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

My wife and I are under contract on a home and the appraisal came back higher than the contract price. We decided we would prefer to amend our contract for 2k more and have seller put up 2k in closing. The sellers rejected paying any closing , but said they wanted to change the sale price to the 2k increase anyway. My realtor was trying to stifle laughter as he rejected this "counter".

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Was the appraisal right or was it like mine where they somehow included a duplex, and a house that was missing windows on 3 sides but had really nice tarps stapled over the holes?

The appraisal also had a house where if you put a marble on the floor it would break the sound barrier before it hit the closest wall. Tilts everywhere.

The appraiser stood by his appraisal until I had the lender visit the other two houses. Then we had someone else do the appraisal.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Spermy Smurf posted:

Was the appraisal right or was it like mine where they somehow included a duplex, and a house that was missing windows on 3 sides but had really nice tarps stapled over the holes?

The appraisal also had a house where if you put a marble on the floor it would break the sound barrier before it hit the closest wall. Tilts everywhere.

The appraiser stood by his appraisal until I had the lender visit the other two houses. Then we had someone else do the appraisal.

The appraisal was over our contract price , but we decided we wanted a few thousand extra in our pocket rather than going to closing costs so we were going to change our sale contract to $212,000, which is more than the original signed contract amount ($210,000) in exchange for the sellers to pay 2k in closing (leaving them with the same net). They said no to paying any closing but then asked our realtor if we could still pay the $212,000. im just trying to justify any thought process where It made sense to the seller / their agent In which we would randomly agree to pay $2,000 more for literally no reason 30+ days into closing.

Kanish fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 23, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kanish posted:

The appraisal was over our contract price , but we decided we wanted a few thousand extra in our pocket rather than going to closing costs so we were going to change our sale contract to $212,000, which is more than the original signed contract amount ($210,000) in exchange for the sellers to pay 2k in closing (leaving them with the same net). They said no to paying any closing but then asked our realtor if we could still pay the $212,000. im just trying to justify any thought process where It made sense to the seller / their agent In which we would randomly agree to pay $2,000 more for literally no reason 30+ days into closing.

You would be surprised what people will sign. See the above poster where the mortgage lender tried to trick them into an ARM. Doesn't hurt to try, and it isn't stupid if it works.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kirios posted:

If you're in a market that can afford it, 3x your yearly earning is a fantastic guideline for making sure you buy a house that doesn't leave you broke and living paycheck to paycheck.

This varies so much by market and things like local property tax that I can't find a way to a sane rule of thumb. I'm moving from a market where I could easily buy a house for 1x annual household income that meets our needs well to a market where choices are limited at 3x our income. Of course, property tax rates and homeowners insurance rates are way, way lower where we are moving so I'm able to buy 3x the house for less than 2x the PITI with the exact same 20% down, so what does that say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
For all of you that have recently purchased homes, what did you end up doing about the Title insurance?

I know the lender insurance is mandatory and the buyer insurance is optional, and from everything I've read most of the buyer insurance is actually just going to the closing lawyer as grift, but... It appears to be a pretty even split of people that say "definitely get it" and people that say "don't bother getting it."