Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a hot tip ive learned about morrowind combat is the damage range on a weapon is how much you do based on when you swing

if you just left click you'll do the left most number (usually low, lowest on weapons like axes and bows) but if you hold left click until you complete the wind up animation you do the right most number

so weapons like axe chop 1-60 you want to be holding that one until you complete the animation

with dagger 10-12 just mash like crazy

it took me 15 years to learn this

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Orv posted:

Motherfucker I was 19, you think I was reading video game manuals yet?

what the gently caress son i was reading video game manuals since i could read at all, first thing i read was this fucker's manual and novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starglider

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

what the gently caress son i was reading video game manuals since i could read at all, first thing i read was this fucker's manual and novel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starglider

I didn't get into video games until I was already an awful lovely teenager, thankfully I was just an awful lovely white suburban teenager because I didn't do MP stuff for a bit yet.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this thread is incredible

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Orv posted:

Age 8-15 is like the only time I was interested in reading video game manuals tbh

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stexils posted:

this thread is incredible

Morrowind: Revelations

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Orv posted:

Morrowind: Revelations

CHIM

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vargs posted:

The thought of somebody playing Morrowind on-and-off for years doing nothing but 1 damage quick swings is fuckin amazing

i watched a dude stream morrowind a bunch a while back and after like 30 hours i finally told him to hold his swing to do more damage

apparently this is a common thing people don't know which is pretty :lol: but it also is never explained in-game so w/e

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vargs posted:

Age 8-15 is like the only time I was interested in reading video game manuals tbh

You're only 15 if you hold the button down though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Damage also changes for weapons depending on how you were moving when you first held down the attack button (though there's a toggle in the base game to always use the best attack, can't remember if it was on or off by default).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vargs posted:

The thought of somebody playing Morrowind on-and-off for years doing nothing but 1 damage quick swings is fuckin amazing

To all you who did this: I concede that your love of the game is greater than mine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Stexils posted:

have you never noticed that if you hold down a swing for a second an axe will always do max damage and if you just tap the button it does barely any?? for over a decade??? you can see the health bar of every enemy in the game!

Nah I was too busy putting in cheat codes and slinging spells with a radii larger than unmodded Morrowind's max view distance.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Damage also changes for weapons depending on how you were moving when you first held down the attack button (though there's a toggle in the base game to always use the best attack, can't remember if it was on or off by default).

well yeah thats obvious

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Skwirl posted:

I liked it off, because it makes spears feel slightly more awkward and deliberate, which might be accurate? Or even balanced?

Not like either of those words reeeeally belong in a description of Morrowind.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Skwirl posted:

So how did this system work? Is there an always-best direction to move as you start to hold the button down that's different for every weapon or is it always one particular best direction?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GreatGreen posted:

So how did this system work? Is there an always-best direction to move as you start to hold the button down that's different for every weapon or is it always one particular best direction?

Best direction to move was dependent on the weapon type. All told the combat system had some neat ideas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GreatGreen posted:

You did an overhand slash if you were standing still or moving diagonally, a sideways chop if you were moving side to side and a thrust if you were moving forward, don't remember which types of damage were best with which weapons aside from spears being completely useless with anything other than thrust. I think it was a legacy from Daggerfall that they realized was more annoying than useful or fun so they put the toggle in because they'd already made the animations and didn't want them to go completely to waste.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a hot tip ive learned about morrowind combat is the damage range on a weapon is how much you do based on when you swing

if you just left click you'll do the left most number (usually low, lowest on weapons like axes and bows) but if you hold left click until you complete the wind up animation you do the right most number

so weapons like axe chop 1-60 you want to be holding that one until you complete the animation

with dagger 10-12 just mash like crazy

it took me 15 years to learn this

oh my lord :wtc:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

The upsetting part is that I did read the manual and spent years smugly explaining 5o people that stamina affected chance to hit

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you have spell damage on a weapon, like all spells, that actually is a random roll.

So 15 – 30 fire damage means random chance of 15 – 30 damage before resistances.

Actually if I recall correctly there's some weird poo poo that goes on with Morrowind's engine when it's calculating spell damage and you get +-1 on either end or something.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm surprised how few people know about the damage calculations in Morrowind. It always did do its own thing in terms of RPG mechanics in the sense that there was no experience just training your skills to level up. Mind you I'm pretty sure I read about how they actually work in some kind of game walkthrough over a decade ago.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zeniel posted:

I'm surprised how few people know about the damage calculations in Morrowind. It always did do its own thing in terms of RPG mechanics in the sense that there was no experience just training your skills to level up. Mind you I'm pretty sure I read about how they actually work in some kind of game walkthrough over a decade ago.

Yeah just lol if you didn't print out 300 page text documents from Gamefaqs at the public library for $0.05 a page 15 years ago

I had a friend who literally did this.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Yeah just lol if you didn't print out 300 page text documents from Gamefaqs at the public library for $0.05 a page 15 years ago

My brother had a big binder of morrowind maps and walkthroughs too! Could kill a man with that thing but only if you had full stamina and had held down the swing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I once got overexcited printed off the entire cheatplanet folder of Paper Mario tips at my dad's work

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I printed the mechanics faq for Final Fantasy 1 in middle school because I was going to "make a video game".

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I am yandere.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The last two pages :3:

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I had some weird walkthrough that mostly consisted of notes on races and skills the author considered most optimal to play and the locations of all the factions if I remember correctly. My computer couldn't actually run Morrowind so I would sit there and just memorize it like it was a religious text.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zeniel posted:

I had some weird walkthrough that mostly consisted of notes on races and skills the author considered most optimal to play and the locations of all the factions if I remember correctly. My computer couldn't actually run Morrowind so I would sit there and just memorize it like it was a religious text.
lol I did this. I remember imagining Vivec looking like N64 Castlevania Dracula for some reason

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I used to read the manual for Baldur's Gate 2 like a novel.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

If you have spell damage on a weapon, like all spells, that actually is a random roll.

So 15 – 30 fire damage means random chance of 15 – 30 damage before resistances.

Actually if I recall correctly there's some weird poo poo that goes on with Morrowind's engine when it's calculating spell damage and you get +-1 on either end or something.

That's what makes the thing even more funny. Not only does damage range work as an RNG in literally every other RPG ever, it also works like an RNG in other instances in Morrowind itself.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lol if you didn't read your video game manuals on the toilet daily.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

Lol if you didn't read your video game manuals on the toilet daily.

Lol if you didn't get the same manual confiscated by the same 6th grade math teacher 13 times in one school year.

I still read game manuals and DnD rulebook on the crapper.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I knew you did more damage if you "winded up" your swing, but I thought it only increased the chance to get the highest possible damage. :doh:

That's weird. But also kinda cool. I'm glad I never made an axe character, though.

Edit: Looking at the base weapons it seems most of them had a big span between lowest and highest damage. I don't think this mattered much in the end, because of how damage is affected by strength and such and how low health many enemies have. I usually end up stabbing people with maces and slashing them with my spear so as to not one shot them pretty soon.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 20, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So if you have a weapon with fire damage on it, how is the damage calculated then? Is it the regular morrowind wind up damage calculation plus the random chance magic damage calculation?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 20, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Correct

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The longer it takes you to release the button, the more magic damage you do

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So one more question that I never bothered finding out...

Do dots stack? And does this differ depending on whether the dot is cast directly or applied to an enemy via weapon enchant?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IIRC it's just like the way that if you cast the same buff twice it won't stack, but two different sources with overlapping or even identical effects will stack since it's a different spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So could I make "Fire Dot A" and "Fire Dot B" stack if they applied the exact same effect but were different spells in my spell book? Or is it only different damage types that stack?