Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

He is literally and figuratively the JoeysWorldTour of unboxing videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

Tash-Kalar Time Travel
There's one card in particular that fits the theme/shape/effect really well. Really excited to see this coming out bit by bit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Played two games of T&E today: still such a good game. First was really cut-throat and the second was slower and had more monuments: won the first because conflict suits my style better. Still the most thematic game ever :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Played two games of T&E today: still such a good game. First was really cut-throat and the second was slower and had more monuments: won the first because conflict suits my style better. Still the most thematic game ever :v:

I'm so poo poo at T&E and love it so. Also the original version that you have is so far and beyond the new version.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Tekopo posted:

I have this version in my bag tonight. Hoping I get it played but a couple people have ragged on it before so that's kinda hard.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

angel opportunity posted:

To expand on this...I threw Twilight Struggle on my wife and it just flopped in a way that Agricola wouldn't.

Well, it's a bigger box.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

T-Bone posted:

Hopefully http://boardgaming-online.com/ gets those Wonders and Leaders added soon, I'd like to try them in my semi-regular game we have going.

I just looked at this site. It's literally just Through the Ages? Is there a plan to add more? Even if just CGE games?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Magnetic North posted:

I just looked at this site. It's literally just Through the Ages? Is there a plan to add more? Even if just CGE games?

Not that I know of.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Terra Mystica app comes out tomorrow.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

:words: on Vlaada's new party game

That sounds...extremely mediocre?

Like, I was initially dubious about Codenames, and was proven massively wrong. But this doesn't seem to have any kind of kicker like Vlaada's other party games. Codenames has the assassin. Pictomania has the simultaneity. This has...a 3x scoring marker you can bid? I guess?

I wonder if Vlaada's getting burnt out.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

That sounds...extremely mediocre?

Like, I was initially dubious about Codenames, and was proven massively wrong. But this doesn't seem to have any kind of kicker like Vlaada's other party games. Codenames has the assassin. Pictomania has the simultaneity. This has...a 3x scoring marker you can bid? I guess?

I wonder if Vlaada's getting burnt out.

Maybe I'm being snobbish, but to me the party game design space seems inherently limited. How many sparks can there be? Not to mention that he has also had some other duds (Graenaland/Bunny Bunny Moose Moose). I still have faith in Vlaada's skill as a designer... though maybe less faith that he'll be willing to risk something daring like G Trucker or MK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The expansion for Temporum is due out this month, apparently. 60 new player cards, 48 new zones and some chits.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Dancer posted:

Maybe I'm being snobbish, but to me the party game design space seems inherently limited. How many sparks can there be? Not to mention that he has also had some other duds (Graenaland/Bunny Bunny Moose Moose). I still have faith in Vlaada's skill as a designer... though maybe less faith that he'll be willing to risk something daring like G Trucker or MK.

Making interesting scoring systems out of lovely party games has improved them a ton (Dixit, Pictomania, Terra, Wits&Wagers), but this game just sounds like a way worse version of Say Anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dancer posted:

Graenaland was a very early design, but I still kinda like it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

If anyone's following the Brass KS, they revealed their ultimate stretch goal: custom engraved clay poker chips!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

The expansion for Temporum is due out this month, apparently. 60 new player cards, 48 new zones and some chits.

Was there a consensus about how much depth there was to the game? I played it a few times, but wasn't able to see the lines as it were. I never learned what all the cards were, though, so maybe that's what my problem was.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

unpronounceable posted:

Was there a consensus about how much depth there was to the game? I played it a few times, but wasn't able to see the lines as it were. I never learned what all the cards were, though, so maybe that's what my problem was.

I played it a few times and it always felt very shallow.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

in a world where Dominion exists I cannot find a reason to play Temporum, and to me Dominion is one of those 'I'm not a fan, but I respect its genius' games.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

unpronounceable posted:

Played it maybe a dozen times, got bored and moved it on. If this expansion had come much sooner, I might have kept it, but there's nothing essential about this game.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The End posted:

Played it maybe a dozen times, got bored and moved it on. If this expansion had come much sooner, I might have kept it, but there's nothing essential about this game.

It tries to be thematic but fell flat for me. I sold it after five or so plays.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

EBag posted:

If anyone's following the Brass KS, they revealed their ultimate stretch goal: custom engraved clay poker chips!

That's a pretty nice stretch goal.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

unpronounceable posted:

I liked the board and the time periods, but the cards you built felt kind of boring to me, and a little swingy. I would probably play it again if someone wanted to, but it's not something I'd seek out. For me DXV's other good game was Kingdom Builder, and more people should play that one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wish I could have sold my copy of Temporum; I bought it on release since, well, it was a card-based DXV game. Of course I did. I played it once and had the most mediocre time I can remember, then I played it again and felt the same. Now it's rotting under a pile of other games on my shelf.

I actually noticed it tonight and thought of bringing it to my Wednesday meetup before realizing I couldn't actually remember how to play well enough to teach and not caring enough to re-learn.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I pretty much agree with all the Temporum replies.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

For me DXV's other good game was Kingdom Builder, and more people should play that one.

Yes, absolutely. Actually, I bought Temporum just based on how much I enjoyed Dominion and Kingdom Builder. Shame it wasn't as good as I was hoping.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

in a world where Dominion exists I cannot find a reason to play Temporum, and to me Dominion is one of those 'I'm not a fan, but I respect its genius' games.

That would be a world in which you have more than one person (or maybe two) to play with. For our group Temporum fills a neat slot for a game that holds five and plays in 40 minutes.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am trading LEGO for boardgames if anyone is interested. I know there is a decent amount of crossover.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817764

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I'm so poo poo at T&E and love it so. Also the original version that you have is so far and beyond the new version.
Completely agree. Also, interesting thing to note is that the top right part of the map had a very big kingdom in it, which was then split into two kingdoms with a catastrophe, and then the kingdom lower down the map (the one with the single monument) had an external war that removed 8 tiles (4 from one conflict, 4 from the next), leaving it with a few remnant tile, Ozymandias- style. I loving love this game (see OP of this thread).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

I am trading LEGO for boardgames if anyone is interested. I know there is a decent amount of crossover.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817764

What is worse a shelf of unplayed board games, or a shelf of unopened LEGOs? Goon-problems

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I played T&E 2 weeks ago and I hosed up massively in the first few rounds and never recovered. I attacked a kingdom with my 3 green tiles against his 2 and I played 3 extra tiles. I was saving 1 tile to turn my 3 tiles into a monument. The other guy was saving up green tiles as well and played 4.

Then for the rest of the game there was a bit of a draught of green tiles so I had a score of 3 in green :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Part of the strategy of T&E is learning what to do when you aren't getting the tiles you need and desperately need a colour. There are many ways to approach it: fight internal fights in a smart way to take kingdoms which are naturally strong in a colour and then perform external wars against smaller kingdoms. Another way to do it is to create a monument of that colour in another kingdom. It's also important to make sure that you churn through your tiles as quickly as possible, and sometimes the best move is to simply refresh your tiles.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The first time I played T&E I hosed it up so badly, and I got so grumpy, that I considered just drawing all new tiles every turn to make the game end quicker. Fun game though!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

I pretty much agree with all the Temporum replies.

Yes, absolutely. Actually, I bought Temporum just based on how much I enjoyed Dominion and Kingdom Builder. Shame it wasn't as good as I was hoping.

Greed is the actual good under the radar DxV game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Drafting games by design can't be considered 'good' :v:

Kingdom Builder was really boring for me. I can't actually think of any DXV games I enjoyed playing bar Dominion and even Dominion I am ambivalent about.

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Terra Mystica app is out (at least for me): iOS Android

I'm really interested to see how DIGIDICED managed with something of this caliber. The Patchwork app was somewhat rough at first, but they won be over with how quickly they addressed it's biggest issues. I'll probably be picking it up if anyone wants to add me as SuicidalManiac

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Drafting games by design can't be considered 'good' :v:

Kingdom Builder was really boring for me. I can't actually think of any DXV games I enjoyed playing bar Dominion and even Dominion I am ambivalent about.

Same, though posters I respect think the bee's knees of KB so.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oh hey there's a new Galaxy Trucker...novel??? http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/239738

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh hey there's a new Galaxy Trucker...novel??? http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/239738

A novel with dice rolling and tile placement mechanics; I'm intrigued!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm waiting for the edgy reboot of the novel that centers around a hard-bitten crew of a Sitting Duck class spaceship.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rutibex posted:

What is worse a shelf of unplayed board games, or a shelf of unopened LEGOs? Goon-problems

I'd rather have an unplayed game. That is theoretically a social thing, unlike LEGO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I hate all board game channels except this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5Lh6IdYiI