Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

X-O posted:

Hey at least the Rebirth movies stand a chance of being a lot better than the N52 ones.

That's only if they are made differently though. If it's just the same stuff relabeled, then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm gonna be reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time in a bit.

Should I check out the two part movie adaptation?

You absolutely should. It's one of the best animated films DC has ever put out, and might be the last genuinely good one. Despite what others have said, it manages to temper the original story's Millerisms without abandoning them (which would make it a completely different story rather than an adaptation.) And no offense to Lurdiak, but their opinion of the animation is 100% backwards.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's very clean animation. The problem is that it's just very plainly directed with obviously pretty boring storyboards and no sense of style.

Take its version of the Super Mutant fight

Now compare it to the TNBA version

Just take the "I'm the surgeon" moment alone. In the confines of Kids WB, TNBA is able to get across a much more brutal moment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Haven't seen the DKR movie bit the year one cartoon is very bad.

I should probably stop reading this thread because I don't think anyone is making good superhero cartoons anymore and all I ever post in here is how much I don't like anything

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's okay to post things that are correct.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm totally prepared for them to do Rebirth animation movies and make good Superman stuff.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

purple death ray posted:

WE should probably stop reading this thread because I don't think anyone is making good superhero cartoons anymore and all I ever post in here is how much I don't like anything

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's very clean animation. The problem is that it's just very plainly directed with obviously pretty boring storyboards and no sense of style.

Take its version of the Super Mutant fight

Now compare it to the TNBA version

Just take the "I'm the surgeon" moment alone. In the confines of Kids WB, TNBA is able to get across a much more brutal moment.

Man watching those clips just makes me disappointed that Ironside wasn't Batman in the DKR movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

haitfais posted:

You absolutely should. It's one of the best animated films DC has ever put out, and might be the last genuinely good one. Despite what others have said, it manages to temper the original story's Millerisms without abandoning them (which would make it a completely different story rather than an adaptation.) And no offense to Lurdiak, but their opinion of the animation is 100% backwards.

The biggest problem with TDKR adaptation is that so much of Bruce's characterization is told using caption boxes doubling as Bruce's thoughts, which is completely eliminated in the cartoon.

Take the opening scene, where Bruce is a car race, and his car is about to crash.

In the comic, you learn that he's considering doing nothing, and just allowing himself to be killed, before he realizes that that death wouldn't be "good enough".

In the cartoon, the car's crashing, and Bruce escapes. That's it.

So much is lost in the adaptation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The biggest problem with TDKR adaptation is that so much of Bruce's characterization is told using caption boxes doubling as Bruce's thoughts, which is completely eliminated in the cartoon.

Take the opening scene, where Bruce is a car race, and his car is about to crash.

In the comic, you learn that he's considering doing nothing, and just allowing himself to be killed, before he realizes that that death wouldn't be "good enough".

Wow, I never saw the TDKR adaptation but not figuring out a way to adapt the caption boxes seems like a huge mistake.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, I never saw the TDKR adaptation but not figuring out a way to adapt the caption boxes seems like a huge mistake.

It could have just been done as a voice over, that's what sucks.

Also, Michael Ironside wold have been so much better than Peter Weller. Weller sounds bored throughout the whole thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't the New Batman Adventures segment have him narrating over the action? It's been awhile since I've watched it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, and it was awesome.

I bet Weller sounding bored is due to bad voice direction, something that's plagued a lot of DC animated features. When you get Conroy and Hamill sounding lovely, you're doing something wrong.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The sad part is a 7ish minute segment is better in literally every way than the full adaptation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Endless Mike posted:

The sad part is a 7ish minute segment is better in literally every way than the full adaptation.

And from the worst TAS episode too

EDIT: Wait maybe I'm getting confused is that segment also from I've Got Batman in my Basement

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calaveron posted:

And from the worst TAS episode too

EDIT: Wait maybe I'm getting confused is that segment also from I've Got Batman in my Basement

100% not

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to mix that up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Roth posted:

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to mix that up.

Kids feature prominently in both episodes and it's been somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years since I've watched the series

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I can see that.

The one it was actually in had a pretty fun tribute to the older Batman cartoons too animated in that style, as well as a pretty good dig at Joel Schumacher

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Davros1 posted:

It did seem like a bit of a loss not having the narration but, frankly, what works on paper or in a 7 minute segment doesn't necessarily work over 3 hours of movie. There's a reason most movies don't have a lot of narration, and I personally feel that the full adaptation would have suffered more if the narration had been included than it did by omitting it. Your mileage may vary.

That being said, we lost a few really good lines as a result.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

haitfais posted:

It did seem like a bit of a loss not having the narration but, frankly, what works on paper or in a 7 minute segment doesn't necessarily work over 3 hours of movie. There's a reason most movies don't have a lot of narration, and I personally feel that the full adaptation would have suffered more if the narration had been included than it did by omitting it. Your mileage may vary.

That being said, we lost a few really good lines as a result.

It's been long enough since I read DKR that I didn't remember the racecar sequence until it was brought up, but based on the description of the scene in the movie, it sounds like something they could have just cut out, in the book it helped portray Bruce Wayne's state of mind before he put the costume on again but seems to serve no purpose whatsoever in the film aside from "it was in the book, so put it in the movie, also it helps make it long enough that we can sell two movies instead of one."

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't think you really need the narration. There are tons of ways to get across the notion that Bruce wants to die--and it's an important notion as its his actual arc in the story. Or as Skwirl kind of points to, you don't really need it to be the car race. The problem with the TDKR is that it's going through the motions of what's on the page without getting to the actual purpose. The issue isn't so much that it doesn't have a narration but more that it doesn't fully get what Bruce's story arc in the book is.

haitfais posted:

in a 7 minute segment doesn't necessarily work over 3 hours of movie.
This is kind of diminishing what's happening in the TNBA scene. It's not in anyway a straight adaptation of the book and that's kind of my point. It makes changes to make a more dynamic scene and make this new look that evokes the book while working on the screen. What the actual film should have done.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Samuringa posted:

RUMOR TIME! Watchmen may be getting an R-Rated Animated Movie because there's no such thing as letting sleeping dogs lie..

This sounds like something that could be very easily fabricated so I'm not betting anything but might as well share it.
Enough with the Watchmen, adapt the Sandman since a live action movie/tv series will never happen at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

Enough with the Watchmen, adapt the Sandman since a live action movie/tv series will never happen at this point.

Watchmen is 12 issues, Sandman is 70 and if you get rid of all the one offs not connected to the main story you lose half the charm of the book.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Skwirl posted:

Watchmen is 12 issues, Sandman is 70 and if you get rid of all the one offs not connected to the main story you lose half the charm of the book.
Make a series of animated movies then :colbert:

In fact make an adult rated animated cartoon series

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Jesus Christ NO! I would hate to see what DC's current animation division would do to all the alien nightmarescapes in Sandman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Old man shows apathetic kid who just wants to play video games the cartoons of his youth

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Having seen the quality of recent DC animation, dear loving god no.

Roth posted:

Old man shows apathetic kid who just wants to play video games the cartoons of his youth

I don't think Damien Wayne plays a lot of video games.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is kind of diminishing what's happening in the TNBA scene. It's not in anyway a straight adaptation of the book and that's kind of my point. It makes changes to make a more dynamic scene and make this new look that evokes the book while working on the screen. What the actual film should have done.

This might be the only thing we actually disagree on. I'm of the opinion that the film did exactly what you're describing, changed the scene to make it more dynamic and cinematic. I think it managed to convey Bruce's borderline-suicidal recklessness through his actions (the smashing of the safety thing,) and the grim ennui that fuels it (the bored, deadpan tone of his dialogue in that scene.) I won't argue that it was as effective as the print version, since it clearly didn't work for everyone, but I will argue that they were as successful as I could reasonably expect them to be. I won't claim you're wrong if you feel otherwise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

haitfais posted:

This might be the only thing we actually disagree on. I'm of the opinion that the film did exactly what you're describing, changed the scene to make it more dynamic and cinematic. I think it managed to convey Bruce's borderline-suicidal recklessness through his actions (the smashing of the safety thing,) and the grim ennui that fuels it (the bored, deadpan tone of his dialogue in that scene.) I won't argue that it was as effective as the print version, since it clearly didn't work for everyone, but I will argue that they were as successful as I could reasonably expect them to be. I won't claim you're wrong if you feel otherwise.
The thing about Bruce is that he's not so much suicidal as he is in search of a satisfying ending. i do agree that they get across the notion that Bruce is not so invested in living anymore, but not the nuance of wanting a good death. I don't think they get across that hesitation and assessment of this as a potential ending for him.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing about Bruce is that he's not so much suicidal as he is in search of a satisfying ending. i do agree that they get across the notion that Bruce is not so invested in living anymore, but not the nuance of wanting a good death. I don't think they get across that hesitation and assessment of this as a potential ending for him.

No argument there. It would have been better if they'd found a way to work in the "good death" line. Maybe with the echoing internal Batman voice they used later in the film.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best episode of BTAS simultaneously had my favorite BTAS villain, the best non-BTAS protagonist, and the bare minimum of B in it.

Of course, I mean this. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was a big fan of the show using the Ras episodes to explore the globetrotting pulp adventurer aspect of Batman's character, and that episode is kind of taking that to the limit by just having a goofy indiana jones adventure in a western setting that doesn't even involve Batman.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That was one of my favorite episodes of BTAS as a kid. I remember not even really knowing who Jonah Hex was at all, so at first it all seemed a bit strange and a very different kind of episode.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
As big a fan I am of Superman: The Animated Series and feel that TNBA is wildly underrated, I think the version of the DC Universe that the original B:TAS series constructed was a really interesting one centered around pulp over superhero tropes. I would have loved to see what that world's Superman was like.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Timeless Appeal posted:

As big a fan I am of Superman: The Animated Series and feel that TNBA is wildly underrated, I think the version of the DC Universe that the original B:TAS series constructed was a really interesting one centered around pulp over superhero tropes. I would have loved to see what that world's Superman was like.

Probably a lot like the Fleischer Superman, I would imagine, no?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Reinanigans posted:

Probably a lot like the Fleischer Superman, I would imagine, no?
True, but the Fleischer toons came so early on in Superman's life that while they nail Clark and Lois, not a lot of the other elements we associate with Superman are there. One of the interesting things about B:TAS it that it takes a lot from Batman's history from Ra's, Bane, Killer Croc, the Tim Drake costume, the older Dick Grayson, Batgirl, etc and fits them in this 1940s aesthetic pretty seamlessly. The fact that Dick's 90s rear end Robin costume works on that show at all is impressive.

I'd be interested how they'd fit a more wholistic Superman in the Fleischer style.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Timeless Appeal posted:

True, but the Fleischer toons came so early on in Superman's life that while they nail Clark and Lois, not a lot of the other elements we associate with Superman are there. One of the interesting things about B:TAS it that it takes a lot from Batman's history from Ra's, Bane, Killer Croc, the Tim Drake costume, the older Dick Grayson, Batgirl, etc and fits them in this 1940s aesthetic pretty seamlessly. The fact that Dick's 90s rear end Robin costume works on that show at all is impressive.

I'd be interested how they'd fit a more wholistic Superman in the Fleischer style.

I imagined he would be more like pre-Crisis or Earth-2 Superman. Older. A little more sentimental. Willing to joke around and meet Batman as Bruce without all the sparks or animosity we saw in the TNBA/STAS 3-part crossover when they found out each other's identities.

Edit: Interesting note to that. I remember being pleasantly surprised when they remembered Louis in the list of dames old Bruce was fondly remembering in the Ra's episode of Batman Beyond.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 24, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BTAS' take on Bane is pretty lame and their contempt of the character is obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

BTAS' take on Bane is pretty lame and their contempt of the character is obvious.

What makes you say that? I don't remember the episode very well.