Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
If you direct idpol ire at the company who had a character named Black Panther in the 60's, the problematic part of the equation is most likely you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite recent comics shenanigans is the gnashing of teeth about the whitewashing of Iron Fist, despite that character always being a white dude

Iron Fist's creator Roy Thomas's response to that was hilarious:

quote:

“Some people are complaining — as I think they have over the years — about cultural appropriation and crap like that, which just makes me furious,” Thomas said in the interview. “I have so little patience for some of the feelings that some people have. You know, cultural appropriation, my god.”“It’s just an adventure story,” he went on. “Don’t these people have something better to do than to worry about the fact that Iron Fist isn’t Oriental, or whatever word?”
“I know Oriental isn’t the right word now, either,” Thomas added, after using it anyway.

People totally lost there poo poo when he said that and it was funny as hell

Edit: Whoever just gave me this new avatar and tag is boss and I wish you the greatest success in your life. Donald Trump believes in YOU.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 19, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I'm not gonna read this thread because it seems like its pretty retarded, but I am reading the book and it's definitely worth reading.

The biggest takeaway is that Hilldawg, Billdawg, and almost all of their senior aides and campaign functionaries, are enormous assholes. The ONLY leading member of the campaign that doesn't come off as a petty, backbiting little bitch is Jake Sullivan. Going purely by what the book says, Mook was a powerhungry little weasel who constantly undercut everyone else, Podesta was constantly on the verge of stroking out, and everyone was constantly suspicious that Huma was misrepresenting their positions to Hillary because they didn't have any other means of communication with their actual boss.

In addition to that her management style was completely dysfunctional, with no clear hierarchy apart from "Hillary rules ok". Whenever she felt someone had hosed up enough to be fired she wouldn't fire them, because she was worried they would rat on her to the press (this actually happened in 2008 so I guess it's understandable but drat). She would just strip them of responsibility by degrees and keep them hanging around as one more increasingly useless cook clogging up the kitchen while someone else usurped the actual work of their job with no change in their job title. Podesta and Mook absolutely hated each other and constantly feuded throughout the election, sometimes with Podesta literally screaming insults at Mook to his face. She did nothing to stop this or even suggest it was not a good thing. The way the book tells the story it's not clear she was even aware of it. Her hosed up campaign staff honestly reminds me of how the Nazi government was structured, with multiple levels of redundant bureaucracy and overlapping portfolios that got to do their jobs or not based solely on how well they could talk poo poo about one another and suck up to Hitler. But at least Hitler purged the underlings he was sick of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
True, but as someone who has been involved in local politics, I'm not convinced that everyone's not like that. Every single book I've read on politicians makes it clear that the competent ones who are good leaders are in the substantial minority.

Even goddamn Lincoln, who Obama idolized and seemed to think he was anything like (as if), had incredible trouble keeping his crew together, and often mismanaged them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

skasion posted:

I'm not gonna read this thread because it seems like its pretty retarded, but I am reading the book and it's definitely worth reading.

The biggest takeaway is that Hilldawg, Billdawg, and almost all of their senior aides and campaign functionaries, are enormous assholes. The ONLY leading member of the campaign that doesn't come off as a petty, backbiting little bitch is Jake Sullivan. Going purely by what the book says, Mook was a powerhungry little weasel who constantly undercut everyone else, Podesta was constantly on the verge of stroking out, and everyone was constantly suspicious that Huma was misrepresenting their positions to Hillary because they didn't have any other means of communication with their actual boss.

In addition to that her management style was completely dysfunctional, with no clear hierarchy apart from "Hillary rules ok". Whenever she felt someone had hosed up enough to be fired she wouldn't fire them, because she was worried they would rat on her to the press (this actually happened in 2008 so I guess it's understandable but drat). She would just strip them of responsibility by degrees and keep them hanging around as one more increasingly useless cook clogging up the kitchen while someone else usurped the actual work of their job with no change in their job title. Podesta and Mook absolutely hated each other and constantly feuded throughout the election, sometimes with Podesta literally screaming insults at Mook to his face. She did nothing to stop this or even suggest it was not a good thing. The way the book tells the story it's not clear she was even aware of it. Her hosed up campaign staff honestly reminds me of how the Nazi government was structured, with multiple levels of redundant bureaucracy and overlapping portfolios that got to do their jobs or not based solely on how well they could talk poo poo about one another and suck up to Hitler. But at least Hitler purged the underlings he was sick of.

Nice

Pick posted:

True, but as someone who has been involved in local politics, I'm not convinced that everyone's not like that. Every single book I've read on politicians makes it clear that the competent ones who are good leaders are in the substantial minority.

So you're saying she's worst among equals?

Reminder: She lost to Donald loving Trump

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
But guuuuuys she had hot sauce in her puuuuuurse! It was totally genuine too and not a transparently condescending attempt to pander to the perceived tastes of minorities, she just likes hot sauce SO MUCH that she carries it around all the time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

scuba school sucks posted:

But guuuuuys she had hot sauce in her puuuuuurse! It was totally genuine too and not a transparently condescending attempt to pander to the perceived tastes of minorities, she just likes hot sauce SO MUCH that she carries it around all the time.

Optics stuff like that can help, but only if you have your fundamentals worked out.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

skasion posted:

this is the most hindsight is 20/20 situation in the history of the world

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

my favorite recent comics shenanigans is the gnashing of teeth about the whitewashing of Iron Fist, despite that character always being a white dude

That one guy who put a bunch of hard right Islamic based Anti-Semitic subliminal messaging into some Marvel comics and got fired was a doozy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also Bernie Sanders is Jewish so calling him a Nazi is even dumber and shittier than usual. And the first non-Christian president would be even more progressive than the first woman one, even though a lot of dopes think Obama was a secret Muslim.

However that accomplishment also applied to the other candidates too, because Hillary Clinton worships Satan and Trump worships himself.

If you hang with the finance set in NYC, they already call Trump the first Jewish president

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jose Oquendo posted:

I checked out of BSS a looooong time ago. There was this cabal of like 6 or 7 posters including the mod who would talk about other posters in IRC. They'd complain about wrongthink, dig up other 'dirt' on the poster, and have the mod probate them or push bans through.

Lol if you think the rest of the forums don't run this way

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Oh i know they do. It was the first time I witnessed it first hand.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

id go so far as say gbs is the only forum that doesnt. and even if it does, nobody gives a poo poo

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Raider posted:

id go so far as say gbs is the only forum that doesnt. and even if it does, nobody gives a poo poo

It definitely used to, and probably still does

Lol remember when insane assholr Windows 98 got made mod because he talked a lot on the right irc

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will say i like the gibbis threads because i can argue with people and people post with different opinions so it's entertaining. I love the trump folks- it's like the difference between going out to the court to shoot by yourself and playing some 3v3. Good stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

skasion posted:

I think the book suffers from being a bunch of unsubstantiated, anonymous snipes within a campaign because that's the only book you can make 6 months after the event. I think most of the stories are true, though the participants may not be the ones mentioned.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Panzeh posted:

I think the book suffers from being a bunch of unsubstantiated, anonymous snipes within a campaign because that's the only book you can make 6 months after the event. I think most of the stories are true, though the participants may not be the ones mentioned.

For sure, that was the only way they could get anyone inside the campaign to talk. The "a trusted aide said", "according to a source who understood Clinton's thinking", "top Democrats claimed" poo poo gets :rolleyes: real fast but hey, it's good gossip.

e: probably the worst example of this is the following, in reference to an ad in which Bernie endorsed Hillary which the campaign decided not to air after it tested poorly with focus groups:

quote:

“It could have been really helpful to her,” said one person who saw it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 20, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It definitely used to, and probably still does

Lol remember when insane assholr Windows 98 got made mod because he talked a lot on the right irc

2014 dicks sucked

ai is like this too and they're still jerking each other off to umm beyond the thunderdome or whatever the gently caress it was. there's a resident tweaker there that is batshit insane and they've been trying to get him to move to fucknut, nebraska for like six months for as yet unexplained reasons.

berth ell pup fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 20, 2017

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We need TR again.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im just not invested enough in the internet to chat on IRC or whatever with you buttfucks

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Blue Raider posted:

im just not invested enough in the internet to chat on IRC or whatever with you buttfucks

we can go to marie's and bitch about our favorite shitposters I'll be the only person in there under 60

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

this is the most hindsight is 20/20 situation in the history of the world

yeah its amazing how inevitable a clinton victory felt when everything was so incredibly dysfuncional and how little genuine enthusiasm there was for her

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
This video might get old someday, but not yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaaEYC4RDUQ&t=19s

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Blue Raider posted:

the only goon irc I go to is when an auto race is on and we make dale earnhardt jokes

welp thats my goon irc story cya

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hillary "vilerat" clinton was so godawful that the rust belt flipped republican

what a world

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

this is the funniest election prediction video tbh

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think the most telling one is Matalin saying there was a 100% certainty of Trump winning. She knew what was up. She also isn't one of his supporters, she is officially a libertarian now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

what a world

I think the funniest part was the capper of some of her EC votes switching to Trump.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

shook nate silver

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pick posted:

I think the most telling one is Matalin saying there was a 100% certainty of Trump winning. She knew what was up. She also isn't one of his supporters, she is officially a libertarian now.

her and her husband are the only two political pundits I can stomach tbh

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol the smugass face on that other woman lmbo

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i know a cnbc pundit that airs pretty regularly, an actual family friend i see on holidays, and even I think hes generally, 99% full of poo poo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Raider posted:

Meh, D&D gets me a week prob every time I mention a slightly different idea than the group in there. D&D is gonna D&D!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Blue Raider posted:

what a world

You know how Trump won by ~100,000 votes across the Rust Belt?

Across the Rust Belt, compared to 2012, Democrats lost ~400,000 minority votes and Republicans gained ~100,000 minority votes.

(lol)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Trump won by ~100,000 votes.

Compared to 2012, Democrats lost ~400,000 minority votes and Republicans gained ~100,000 minority votes.

Hell Trump got 30% of the hispanic vote too. Dems should be scared shitless of that shift.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Hell Trump got 30% of the hispanic vote too. Dems should be scared shitless of that shift.

On average, Latinos are more --
  • hard-working
  • god-fearing
  • family-oriented
  • socially conservative
-- than your average liberal.

On paper, they're better [Real American]s than we are. If the GOP can absorb them into the base, hahaha

And I love those stats for undermining both, "we lost because racism-only," and, "Sanders/Bernie Bros are racist because look at how hard black people love Clinton."

Oh, what's that? Clinton lost by 100,000 votes in the Rust Belt? And in the Rust Belt, she lost 400,000 black votes? And Trump gained 130,000 black votes?

Edit: Not, "black votes." "Black, indigenous and person-of-color," was the category.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

her and her husband are the only two political pundits I can stomach tbh

I like them both a lot. And if you read about them, their personal opinions make sense in their context.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Carville would have won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yug posted:

Carville would have won.

Carville's a wily motherfucker and he could have out-spun Trump. I love that his accent makes him sound so homey when the dude's sharp as hell.

• Locked thread