Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Disappointing in comparison by all reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Clarence posted:

So it's now a Bismarck with torpedoes plus all the premium benefits?

And much worse AA and no Hydro.
Also a bit slower.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Phanatic posted:

How are the secondaries on the FDG? If I have a secondary-specced Bismarck is it worth it to move up a tier?

One of the forward secondary turrets on each side has slightly better firing angles if I recall correctly. Otherwise their secondary configuration is exactly the same as Bismarck - so pretty drat good. Any complaints I've seen regarding FdG haven't been due to their secondaries.

Note though that Kurfurst arguably has a worse secondary arrangement than either of its predecessors.

Krogort posted:

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-06_4-patchnotes/

Massive buff for the Tirpitz Secondaries.
A lot of ships are getting surprise-buff.

Also French cruisers but they are poo poo so who cares.

Tirpitz did not need a loving massive secondary buff, it was already incredibly good.

IJN destroyer changes are a giant joke, but no surprise there. No you fucktarded shits, knocking a whole 200m off their torpedo detectability range does not make them not garbage when their main competitor gets torps with much better range, the same speed, and 300m better concealment - along with significantly better everything else.

edit: Let alone the changes only affect Shimakaze and (slightly)Yugumo. All the other IJN destroyers that have been sitting dead last at their tiers for months? Sucks to be you.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 18, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So...anyone tried this before?
https://www.gamersgate.com/campaign/id/3664/?aff=ggnews

I remember when they used to be a online store for PC games in the early Steam days, I thought they were long gone. But 27 bucks for Tirpitz is a good price.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

I remember when they used to be a online store for PC games in the early Steam days, I thought they were long gone. But 27 bucks for Tirpitz is a good price.

:raise: how does this even work

Edit: oh this is how http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/122740-in-case-anyone-is-interested/#topmost

Nikopower says its legit, but their stock will likely disappear soon due to the way they went about it.

These look like amazing deals and are verified working, but the usual warnings of using third party affiliate sites apply.

The site itself has been in business for quite a while, online reviews seem to say "your mileage may vary." If you have an issue with your purchase, you can't go to WG, cross your fingers :) I might grab some doubloons with that discount to see how it goes.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 18, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Krogort posted:

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-06_4-patchnotes/

Massive buff for the Tirpitz Secondaries.
A lot of ships are getting surprise-buff.

Also French cruisers but they are poo poo so who cares.

Oh my. This is the best.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

That link just takes me to the front page, and when I search for World of Warships the only thing it returns is 3 unrelated games :crossarms:

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Might depend what country you're in. I'm in the UK and cannot see it.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

It's US only. I just snagged one.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Lord Koth posted:

One of the forward secondary turrets on each side has slightly better firing angles if I recall correctly. Otherwise their secondary configuration is exactly the same as Bismarck - so pretty drat good. Any complaints I've seen regarding FdG haven't been due to their secondaries.

Note though that Kurfurst arguably has a worse secondary arrangement than either of its predecessors.

Tirpitz did not need a loving massive secondary buff, it was already incredibly good.

IJN destroyer changes are a giant joke, but no surprise there. No you fucktarded shits, knocking a whole 200m off their torpedo detectability range does not make them not garbage when their main competitor gets torps with much better range, the same speed, and 300m better concealment - along with significantly better everything else.

edit: Let alone the changes only affect Shimakaze and (slightly)Yugumo. All the other IJN destroyers that have been sitting dead last at their tiers for months? Sucks to be you.

Uh, the shiratsuyu and akatsuki are already amazing and are getting minor buffs (gun traverse). Same thing about isokaze, minekaze and fubuki.
The only destroyer which is kinda bad and left out by this round of buffs is the Kagero.

Edit: actually the Kagero is getting a turret traverse buff and the Shiratsuyu isn't. It's OK, the Shiratsuyu didn't need a buff. The Kagero won't be benefitting much from this change anyway, but it's still nice.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 19, 2017

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Im really looking forward to that F3 torpedo buff, people are already really awful at dodging it unless i gently caress up and get spotted and just giving people even less time to react is going to make japanese destroyers another notch funner to play.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Just hit 13 points for my US DD captain. I've got PM, LS, BFT, CE so far, should I pick up Survivability Expert or Superintendent? They both seem rather useful.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Big McHuge posted:

Just hit 13 points for my US DD captain. I've got PM, LS, BFT, CE so far, should I pick up Survivability Expert or Superintendent? They both seem rather useful.
Respec and drop BFT for both SE and SI imho

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Put Adrenaline Rush on everything*.

*You should probably not follow my terrible advice, but drat is it a fun skill.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Another supercontainer, another Spotting Aircraft Mod 1, another immediate sale.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

:catstare:

I'm a fukken Morton's factory right now

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Pacra posted:

Chappy shell? Or torp?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Someone on the enemy team found a bug.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Phanatic posted:

How are the secondaries on the FDG? If I have a secondary-specced Bismarck is it worth it to move up a tier?

They're fine but the ship doesn't lend itself to a secondary build like the Bismarck does. The FDG is significantly larger than the bis and sits higher in the water so it's much easier to farm big hits on that gap above your belt when you get in closer. The high tier meta also means you're going to be left hanging if you try and brawl early on. My recommendation is to go with a partial secondary build skill wise in which you get your range up to 9.3 or so, then go with a more standard build on your actual ship. This will keep most of the destroyers out far enough that dodging torps is easy, and you'll still be able to bring your secondaries into play if you find a good spot to brawl, but you won't be left hanging with lovely main guns if your team decides to stick with the prevailing snipefest/smokefest high tier meta.

I also recommend sticking with the primary guns though, they hit plenty hard enough and the rapid reload more than makes up for the lower damage considering German inaccuracy.

Overall the FDG is meh, it's not BAD, just underwhelming coming after the fantastic Bismarck.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
So AFT and main gun accuracy mod?
And tank skills or CE rather than manual Secondaries?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Hazdoc posted:

Chappy shell? Or torp?

AP shell from an Akatsuki. :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So why do french cruisers suck? No armor I assume?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Metric clocks

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Chappy shell? Or torp?

Shell :negative:

lordy i hate the izumo turret layout

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BadLlama posted:

So why do french cruisers suck? No armor I assume?

Half of them sink as soon as the battle starts without leaving spawn, the other half sail to the enemy spawn, and sit there silently until the last minute of the battle, when they sink themselves.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Some of the French cruisers are at least so-so, but the T10, Henri VI, is the worst at that tier by a fair margin. Second worst rudder shift after Hindenburg, tied with Zao for worst turning circle, and second worst concealment after Moskva. It's supposed plus point, speed, puts it at a whole 0.5 kts faster than Zao and Moskva (before Speed Boost), and I'm incredibly dubious on the actual uses of Speed Boost for a ship that unwieldy.

Moreover, its AA is utter and complete garbage, with the T8 and T9 on its own line having more, let alone any other nation's cruisers within the T9-10 brackets. For specific details, it has one set of guns with 94 DPS at 5.2km, and one set with 97 DPS at 3.5km... that's it. There are destroyers with not particularly less AA. Combine that with its terrible concealment, turning radius and rudder shift, and CVs are going to absolutely love you - if you've even survived the battleships cheerfully lobbing shells your way.

On the surface its guns at least look acceptable, though people were running into problems with them in testing, so who knows if that got fixed.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Someone pointed out that the Henri IV's AA guns had exactly the same stats as a similarly named but older and smaller caliber AA from one of the earlier cruisers in the line, leading to speculation that WG added the older weapon's stats by mistake (not that I've seen them fix it yet).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pacra posted:

:raise: how does this even work

Edit: oh this is how http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/122740-in-case-anyone-is-interested/#topmost

Nikopower says its legit, but their stock will likely disappear soon due to the way they went about it.

These look like amazing deals and are verified working, but the usual warnings of using third party affiliate sites apply.

The site itself has been in business for quite a while, online reviews seem to say "your mileage may vary." If you have an issue with your purchase, you can't go to WG, cross your fingers :) I might grab some doubloons with that discount to see how it goes.

I mean, unless something changed GG is a very legitimate digital distribution platform. I often use them over steam, particularly for titles I know I'm going to need multiple installations of for various mods.

Edit

They are literally owned by Paradox Interactive. You have nothing to worry about when it comes to purchasing from them.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 19, 2017

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

My experience of French ships was seeing one and it either being dead in the first minutes or not seeing one as it was by necessity having to hide behind islands. I shot the tier IX with my Atago and got 4 citadels from 12km in a single volley.

Considering my inability to not try and get every ship in the game unlocked I think I may be able to resist this particular line.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just saw three Bouganvilles detonated in one battle, including my own. Good start to the line.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear there was a babby aiming mod that gave you a general ideal of where to aim at a moving target. I would really need it because 1)I haven't played this for an entire year 2)i mostly play as destroyers and shotgun poo poo so when i go to 20km range shots i basically miss by miles :(

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

Pacra posted:

Fun and engaging mechanic.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Got fed up with the Neptune so free exp-ed the Minotaur. Not sure this was an entirely rational decision. I still have no idea how to RN :(

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Playing a St. Louis is a damned dream right now. Citadels...citadels everywhere.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Burt posted:

Got fed up with the Neptune so free exp-ed the Minotaur. Not sure this was an entirely rational decision. I still have no idea how to RN :(

That's like saying you got fed up with the Leander so you free exp-ed to the Fiji, the previous one informs play of the other :)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just had a 48k game in a Jurien. Is that good?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Burt posted:

Apply smoke and sonar, hold left click. That's like 80% of the entire line.

sadly it's the other 20% that makes you good, or even keeps you alive.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Rorac posted:

Apply smoke and sonar, hold left click. That's like 80% of the entire line.

sadly it's the other 20% that makes you good, or even keeps you alive.

When you pop smoke is very important. Personally (having slowly gotten used to the Belfast/Fiji) I find when to lay smoke relies on four things:

Do you have an exit plan when the smoke runs out? Some people think of this in terms of hard cover but for me it also involves whether I have to turn around/give broadside in order to leave.

Was I spotted? They know who is in the smoke and for how long if they spot you before you smoke. Otherwise you can position yourself perfectly, slow, and get two smoke puffs before firing.

Am I positioned to influence the game? Generally, I smoke up near/between objectives so I can help DDs contesting caps or I position myself so that there will be a few targets in range for a good period of time.

Can I be countered? This is more about situations where you are the priority. Remember who has radar, where they are, and what their radar range is. Do you have a risk of being torped in smoke? Hydro counters it but forces you out of your smoke. If you know only a DD is near you, save the smoke and kill the DD outright, for example.

Moving in smoke has more use when you mooch larger DD smokes but it is still a decent idea, and there are other nuances, but this is pretty much my thoughts on the keys to good RN gameplay.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaE5dr6XZas
I think the Roon is the only cruiser a secondary build is really possible with: 150mm secondaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzy Jones
May 25, 2008
Hey Dudes, Is there any EU goon clan out there ?