Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

SeXReX posted:

yeah everyone knows true record collectors just deal with being cold

The real ones wear whatever free sweatshirts they've been given or buy at Walmart the other strange middle aged guys at the record store will laugh at them otherwise.

I half kid about VMP. I was a customer for a few months but it just wasn't for me at all, plus I really do think the name is awful and that the service was created by guys who own Crosleys and a single "vinyl" they bought at Urban Outfitters. That said, if they had a separate service for reprints of classic records I'd probably jump all over it.

I grew up surrounded by records and dad rock and I'm still exploring that generation of music so I guess I'm probably just being a judgemental rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

gently caress yeah MC Hellshit and DJ Carhouse!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Smeed posted:

The real ones wear whatever free sweatshirts they've been given or buy at Walmart the other strange middle aged guys at the record store will laugh at them otherwise.

I half kid about VMP. I was a customer for a few months but it just wasn't for me at all, plus I really do think the name is awful and that the service was bcreated by guys who own Crosleys and a single "vinyl" they bought at Urban Outfitters . That said, if they had a separate service for reprints of classic records I'd probably jump all over it.

I grew up surrounded by records and dad rock and I'm still exploring that generation of music so I guess I'm probably just being a judgemental rear end in a top hat.

dunno about all that. maybe the bulk of their userbase is, but the founders and most of the people that work at VMP do take pride in how they listen to their stuff and do push people into buying more serious turntables instead of crosleys/junk tables.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Smeed posted:

the service was created by guys who own Crosleys and a single "vinyl" they bought at Urban Outfitters. That said, if they had a separate service for reprints of classic records I'd probably jump all over it.

This is most of the people who buy records.

Also, colored vinyl: I don't think there's anything inherent about the properties of colored vinyl that makes the records sound worse. I have some colored vinyl pressings that sound incredible (the Blade Runner and Return of the Living Dead OSTs come to mind) but on the other hand every single time I've bought a new record that was a bad pressing it was some "LIMITED EDITION COLORED VINYL!!!!!" disc. If I had to venture a guess why this is it's probably because the quality control standards on them aren't as strict. Especially when it's a small press edition of something that comes in a non-limited black. I've also heard that sometimes the mixed color ones are made from a bunch of left over pellets they swept off the floor. I don't know about the validity of that, but it sounds possible.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

This is most of the people who buy records.

Also, colored vinyl: I don't think there's anything inherent about the properties of colored vinyl that makes the records sound worse. I have some colored vinyl pressings that sound incredible (the Blade Runner and Return of the Living Dead OSTs come to mind) but on the other hand every single time I've bought a new record that was a bad pressing it was some "LIMITED EDITION COLORED VINYL!!!!!" disc. If I had to venture a guess why this is it's probably because the quality control standards on them aren't as strict. Especially when it's a small press edition of something that comes in a non-limited black. I've also heard that sometimes the mixed color ones are made from a bunch of left over pellets they swept off the floor. I don't know about the validity of that, but it sounds possible.

I dunno, maybe they're made from leftover pellets but I'd bet they're all stored correctly.

The quality control of records really confuses me. I've had a similar problem with warped records and they've all been new presses. Id suspect the warping comes from not letting the record set and dry for long enough but if the bottleneck of record manufacturing lies in not having enough presses then how come they can't afford time to dry these things? I wonder if those two issues are interconnected.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
As far as vinyl subscriptions go VMP doesn't seem too offensive outside of a bad name. There was that one that wanted to be like Netflix or gamefly sending you garbage records each month and then send back but that died pretty quickly.

VNYL is worse in my eyes because they're about sending you records based on your social media presence and hashtags. The unboxing videos people post are cringeworthy.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Where is that video of the kickstarter funded (I think it was anyway) record store that was 2 boxes of your parent's records in the middle of a big room?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

screaden posted:

Where is that video of the kickstarter funded (I think it was anyway) record store that was 2 boxes of your parent's records in the middle of a big room?

I wanna see this.

Also. I know a couple dudes that work in a pressing plant. I could gather some questions to pass along.

CPL593H posted:

I've also heard that sometimes the mixed color ones are made from a bunch of left over pellets they swept off the floor.

This being the first.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Schremp Howard posted:

As far as vinyl subscriptions go VMP doesn't seem too offensive outside of a bad name. There was that one that wanted to be like Netflix or gamefly sending you garbage records each month and then send back but that died pretty quickly.

VNYL is worse in my eyes because they're about sending you records based on your social media presence and hashtags. The unboxing videos people post are cringeworthy.

VNYL is the worst. I met someone affiliated with the company at a "Kickstarter Party". WHEW. I heard the pitch and knew off the bat this was just going to be a regular record store that had a side hustle that let them off-load old inventory/too large batch orders. Then I started watching over the next few months peoples packages being pretty much poo poo you'd see collecting up in a pile in the sales section of an urban outfitters (Flume, Bon Iver, The Shins, The Lumeniers...), but passed off as being "This is what we hand-curated as being a perfect match for YOU!".

really glad I saw through that poo poo.

some of my favorite vnyl unboxing videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dleIR1MFH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJQlZF0wqgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcPW0XMgrIA

it is interesting getting a glimpse into future fodder for the goodwill bins.

in closing, at least vinyl me please has had more interesting records of the month than not and their members only store usually has a good amount of exclusives that make the monthly fee worth keeping around.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Smeed posted:

I know people are going to hate me for this and I forgive them even though they're wrong, but VMP is everything that is bad about collecting vinyl today.

1) the name. It literally cannot be worse. Vinyl me?
2) all of their releases are hipster junk in gimmicky colors
3) everything about it makes me think it's run by some 30 year old guys in hoodies

whats your beef with hoodies

caligulamprey posted:

cool

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

sporklift posted:

I wanna see this.

put both hands in posted:

Remember that dumb VNYL thing from a little while back? A subscription service where you paid $24 for a few dollar bin records? They apparently used the money from their Kickstarter to open a record store. Here is some video footage someone took. It's easily the most embarrassing record store I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25BuARcGqn4

Also I remember reading somewhere that black vinyl has an oil in it that helps with tracking or durability that colored does not. I know that I can't tell a difference in quality when the needle hits the colored portion on a black/red split album I have.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Sweet.

And holy poo poo that VNYL thing is the worst. Just a straight up scam. I watched some reviews and yeah, have fun with your Goodwill records. I mean you can tell those ladies in the store are so full of poo poo.

Here is my favorite unboxing video from VNYl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnouXJ2rl4

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 20, 2017

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah out of all the things that reek of entitlement online complaining that a dude's signature isn't good enough is loving nuts.

Dude it's a pretty weak signature even when compared to other examples I've seen but the problem I have is that no one could ever know it was actually signed by him.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah gotta make sure people can tell you have an autographed record that you got by clicking add to cart

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Moai Ou posted:

I know that I can't tell a difference in quality when the needle hits the colored portion on a black/red split album I have.

I know I have at least one record where I can hear where the stylus hits the color split in the deadwax. It's barely perceptible but it's there.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

stay depressed posted:

yeah gotta make sure people can tell you have an autographed record that you got by clicking add to cart

I was just about to say, what's the point.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I like colored records because they look cool and make me happy

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Finally got an offer on my RDR vinyl on Discogs. Was about to confirm the sale but then noticed the buyer has zero feedback and started his account yesterday. Although he lives in Italy he said he could provide a US address of a friend that it could be sent to instead so that it can still be tracked. The whole thing kind of sets off a red flag, but I don't know.

Made me wonder, does Ebay or Discogs offer better protection when selling? Or is possibly being scammed just a big risk no matter where I go?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 20, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
eBay protections suck as seller. The buyer can almost blatantly scam you and eBay will still side with them. If you get scammed and eBay/discogs attempts to take their money back I would file a dispute with your credit card or bank and tell ebay/discogs to pound sand (that is if you're ok with never selling anything through them again.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Smeed posted:

eBay protections suck as seller. The buyer can almost blatantly scam you and eBay will still side with them. If you get scammed and eBay/discogs attempts to take their money back I would file a dispute with your credit card or bank and tell ebay/discogs to pound sand (that is if you're ok with never selling anything through them again.

eBay is a relic. You can't even leave a negative feedback as a seller.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Smeed posted:

I'm assuming no matter how someone pays on Discogs it goes through Paypal, correct? Aren't they just as bad as dealing with Ebay in regards to protection? So it would just be accept payment > put money in bank account immediately as it is received > if they try anything, dispute with bank thus skipping over dealing with Paypal?

This is the first time I've sold anything at a price I'd actually worry about so admittedly I'm a stupid newbie when dealing with this kind of thing.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Apparently Leyland Kirby is stealth reissuing (part of) one of the better Caretaker albums in an edition of 250. I endorse the absolute poo poo out of all three parts of Sadly The Future so please do jump on this if you don't own it already (unless you're terminally allergic to colored vinyl).

EDIT: also Light In The Attic announced a Japanese comp series and I will buy every single one. First one focuses on folk music and is up for preorder now (although it doesn't come out until October, unfortunately):

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/3178-even-a-tree-can-shed-tears-japanese-folk-rock-1969-1973

trdn89 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 20, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
gently caress me, how did I miss that 1/6 Caretaker release?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geoff Zahn posted:

I'm assuming no matter how someone pays on Discogs it goes through Paypal, correct? Aren't they just as bad as dealing with Ebay in regards to protection? So it would just be accept payment > put money in bank account immediately as it is received > if they try anything, dispute with bank thus skipping over dealing with Paypal?

This is the first time I've sold anything at a price I'd actually worry about so admittedly I'm a stupid newbie when dealing with this kind of thing.

Thats how I'd do it. If the buyer tries a charge-back through PayPal and PayPal attempts to debit the money from the bank you tell your bank to block the transaction or take it up with your bank's fraud department.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord
I guess my final question on that is, wouldn't that cause Paypal to block me from using their service if I dispute them trying to pull money from my account?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Fiona Apple crashed the VMP website. I thought it would have been funny to have everyone guessing Fiona Apple and then announcing a deluxe reissue of 4 Non Blondes.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Alternatively, don't buy anything from RSD

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Chill Callahan posted:

Alternatively, don't buy anything from RSD

This plea sounds extremely familiar.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geoff Zahn posted:

I guess my final question on that is, wouldn't that cause Paypal to block me from using their service if I dispute them trying to pull money from my account?

Maybe but gently caress'em. You can still buy through them with another credit card.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

trdn89 posted:

Apparently Leyland Kirby is stealth reissuing (part of) one of the better Caretaker albums in an edition of 250. I endorse the absolute poo poo out of all three parts of Sadly The Future so please do jump on this if you don't own it already (unless you're terminally allergic to colored vinyl).

EDIT: also Light In The Attic announced a Japanese comp series and I will buy every single one. First one focuses on folk music and is up for preorder now (although it doesn't come out until October, unfortunately):

http://lightintheattic.net/releases/3178-even-a-tree-can-shed-tears-japanese-folk-rock-1969-1973

Got my preorder in on that Japanese folk and rock. Thanks for that, it looks sick.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

Smeed posted:

Maybe but gently caress'em. You can still buy through them with another credit card.

Hmm. Issue is, I sell stuff through Etsy so It's kind of important to keep this linked to my bank. At the same time that's the risk I take selling things online like this. gently caress it, I'm going to go for it and require signature on delivery as well to try to minimize any chances of something happening. If I get scammed and have to cut ties with Paypal, I'll deal with it at that time. Thanks for the info guys.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
posters_itt.gif

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That guys older than me but way thinner.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
buy something good for once

http://daycrush.limitedrun.com/products/590012-i-hate-sex-world-of-grief-lp-cassette-shirt

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Barry posted:

posters_itt.gif

Can't be, touching a cat is too much social interaction for this thread.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barry posted:

I like colored records because they look cool and make me happy

:discourse:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Geoff Zahn posted:

gently caress it, I'm going to go for it and require signature on delivery as well to try to minimize any chances of something happening. If I get scammed and have to cut ties with Paypal, I'll deal with it at that time. Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like you already made your decision but yeah, going through Discogs and just adding signature confirmation, insurance, etc. was probably the way to go. If there's a delivery dispute on Discogs, the site does basically gently caress-all to the seller as long as it's confirmed to have been delivered to a physical person. Broken items might be a different thing, if it arrives broken to the end recipient in Italy then they might raise a stink but if it's being sent by "a friend" then that's between them and you're in the clear. Probably.

If you did it through eBay, the person in Italy could literally say anything and eBay would take their side and would ultimately just take money directly back out of your account and give it to them, even if they were bald-faced lying. It's why I loving dread listing on eBay, but the only alternative for me and the stuff I sell (my used electronics, movies, etc.) is Amazon and they're no better. For records of course I just use Discogs because even though it might take longer to get a bite, you get way more agency and protection as a seller.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Is this a bootleg or something? I thought they only had 2 3" CDs?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

Is this a bootleg or something? I thought they only had 2 3" CDs?

According to Discogs it was a "Free 7" for the 'Special Japanese Issue!' (Volume 4, number 2) of Resonance magazine (UK) in plain white cover."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Going to a Numero Group thing on Sunday. Any favorites?