Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Literally my main concern at this point is jobs, and I think Hillary would have been better about it for me and my peeps, but frankly the election is over so I don't really give a poo poo beyond the lessons we learned and moving forward.

Legitimately like Sherrod Brown though.

yeh cuz hes black right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Kiryen posted:

San Francsico could get vaporized and it would still be "meaningless war" wouldn't it?

pick was talking about syria

but as for san francisco, read this thread and tell me whether the bay area is worth saving

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817655

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Kiryen posted:

San Francsico could get vaporized and it would still be "meaningless war" wouldn't it?

you could have picked any other city and people would have given a contrary answer

of course no one gives a poo poo about San Francisco

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

1. Change vs. more of the same
2. The economy, stupid
3. Don't forget health care.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

you could have picked any other city and people would have given a contrary answer

of course no one gives a poo poo about San Francisco

Even lefties.

Unironically, even if it's seoul you could ahve a 6-figure death toll and these worthless fucks would still be trying to blame Trump, secretly fearing they'd get drafted and not just be able to complain on the internet.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Kiryen posted:

NIXON: But it's not just the ratty part of town. The upper class in San Francisco is that way. The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time--it is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine, with that San Francisco crowd. I can't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i think the trans movement is just the vanguard of the mra movement but im also a marxist and a witch (white)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Literally my main concern at this point is jobs, and I think Hillary would have been better about it for me and my peeps, but frankly the election is over so I don't really give a poo poo beyond the lessons we learned and moving forward.

i fail to see how hillary "obama 2.0, america is already great" clinton would've done anything to improve the economy/create jobs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kiryen posted:

Whoever does that will be doing the US a favor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Democrats did make a terrible mistake by writing huge swathes of people off. But it won't matter long-run, because Trump will gently caress this up so people will switch horses again like they always do. And then they'll switch back when that horse falls over and dies or wherever this metaphor is going.

People are going to keep being motivated almost entirely by their pocketbook, and the person who makes the clearest argument is going to win. It's like how that dude in the Philippines is popular just for executing criminals in the street or whatever. We aren't worried about criminals in the street so much because the USA is pretty safe; if it were a problem, we'd vote as such (see: the 90s). Mostly Americans want good jobs and that's hard because frankly we've got more people than things for those people to do, unless we start investing in national infrastructure and education, but people don't have the faith in government any more to want to pay for that stuff.

Also a lot of ideals got really entrenched and people have been stubborn about them. For example, it's clear that every single approach we've taken to homeless thur far fails. Even the "give them homes" thing in Utah turned out to be untrue if you corrected for things like changing definitions of homelessness. But now we've got wars on both sides about whether the Church should have street people slaves for Jesus or whether the homeless should be allowed to piss on food carts, and the question gets framed as "should we spend more or less money?" as if that were the problem at all.

The world's scary and no one knows what to do any more.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

i think the trans movement is just the vanguard of the mra movement but im also a marxist and a witch (white)

this right here, this is how to post in gbs

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

pick was talking about syria

it doesn't matter. people who say things like "meaningless war" could see 1,000,000 dead Koreans or even Americans and it still would not cause them to question their conviction that believing every bad thing around the entire world is the fault of those they have designated enemies on the domestic political scene.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

1. Change vs. more of the same
2. The economy, stupid
3. Don't forget health care.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

Haha yeesh. I was just playing around with this thread (as usual). Interesting to know what people think, though. Have fun.

spacetoaster posted:

HA AH HA!! Noobs. You've all been PUPPETMASTERED.

Pathetic

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Kiryen posted:

Even lefties.

Unironically, even if it's seoul you could ahve a 6-figure death toll and these worthless fucks would still be trying to blame Trump, secretly fearing they'd get drafted and not just be able to complain on the internet.

man I'm as isolationist as they come but even I would agree to going to war if Seoul or another allied city was attacked without provocation or our national security was at risk

we should have carpet bombed the poo poo out of Afghanistan post-9/11 and then left

Syrian intervention would actually jeopardize our national security because it's one of Russia's main allies and they simply want it more than we do, and I say let them have it

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Actually lots of Americans care because they don't want to piss away money and American lives on another desert shithole.

you don't understand

in pick's circles there are no poor families with children in the military

she doesn't know anyone that would have to go over there and get brain damage from an IED and rely on the government/their families to take care of them for the rest of their life.

and she certainly doesn't know any syrians who will inevitably get caught in the crossfire and die needlessly

frankly, she doesn't care about that at all

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also the Dems got way too comfortable as being the "party of minorities and women", because someone please convince me that Obama gave a god drat about women at all.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

man I'm as isolationist as they come but even I would agree to going to war if Seoul or another allied city was attacked without provocation or our national security was at risk

we should have carpet bombed the poo poo out of Afghanistan post-9/11 and then left

Syrian intervention would actually jeopardize our national security because it's one of Russia's main allies and they simply want it more than we do, and I say let them have it

what do you think about japanese military buildup?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

you don't understand

in pick's circles there are no poor families with children in the military

she doesn't know anyone that would have to go over there and get brain damage from an IED and rely on the government/their families to take care of them for the rest of their life.

and she certainly doesn't know any syrians who will inevitably get caught in the crossfire and die needlessly

frankly, she doesn't care about that at all

My cousin was in Iraq for two terms in the US military and then went back again, admittedly as part of Blackwater. He loved it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

again, as the thread ombudsman, pick, you must face the truth that you are a moderate republican

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Blue Raider posted:

what do you think about japanese military buildup?

let them go nuts what the gently caress do I care

if China doesn't like that maybe they should stop acting like assholes, it's really not our problem

I say sell them both guns and tanks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

HA AH HA!! Noobs. You've all been PUPPETMASTERED.

Well pretty much, I was Hillary from the start and still am. I still think her campaign was run by morons but I think she'd have done fine by the issues I care about and I wish she were president instead of Trump who is a legitimate danger to our democracy.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

Also the Dems got way too comfortable as being the "party of minorities and women", because someone please convince me that Obama gave a god drat about women at all.

More like there is no such thing as "giving a drat about women". Women can decide what's good for them individually; they don't need people telling them "anyone who won't give you unlimited abortion and birth control hates you whether you need those things or not and gently caress you if you DARE disagree!"

Similar for minorities. The Democrats need to seriously re-examine the idea that loudmouths speak for certain identity groups because its convenient for Democrats - or for that matter, that loudmouth white men speak for wihte mean because it gives them "Racists" and "misogynists" to gin up outrage over.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

let them go nuts what the gently caress do I care

if China doesn't like that maybe they should stop acting like assholes, it's really not our problem

I say sell them both guns and tanks

amen

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pick posted:

Well pretty much, I was Hillary from the start and still am. I still think her campaign was run by morons but I think she'd have done fine by the issues I care about and I wish she were president instead of Trump who is a legitimate danger to our democracy.

the biggest danger to our democracy is global corporations buying influence via donations and lobbyists

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

the biggest danger to our democracy is global corporations buying influence via donations

to break this down, the (both current and past) threat to our democracy is interest groups. There's nothing new about this.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

I am glad Trump won

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

again, as the thread ombudsman, pick, you must face the truth that you are a moderate republican

As long as Republicans deny global warming/EPA, are anti-choice, anti-Equal Rights Amendment, anti-public-education, anti-Migratory Bird Treaty Act, anti-public housing, etc. then I will never vote Republican in my life.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pick posted:

anti-Migratory Bird Treaty Act

canadian geese are a virus and should be eradicated

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pick posted:

As long as Republicans deny global warming/EPA, are anti-choice, anti-Equal Rights Amendment, anti-public-education, anti-Migratory Bird Treaty Act, anti-public housing, etc. then I will never vote Republican in my life.

if you could ditch abortion, you might be pleasantly surprised

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

Trump who is a legitimate danger to our democracy.

It's almost as if yo can't tell the difference between a plotline and real life.

There's no excuse for actually thinking this - not only is it ridiculous, it sends moderate screaming to the Republicans because it creates the impression that Democrat voters are lunatics with no sense of perspective whatsoever.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Hillary was bad and deserved to lose.
Bernie would have won.
Obama would have crushed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

if you could ditch abortion, you might be pleasantly surprised

Well I can't. And nope, because the Republican position on environmental and women's rights issues is pretty ironclad. Give me another Theodore Roosevelt and I'll come back, but lol because it's the same party in name only.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kiryen posted:

It's almost as if yo can't tell the difference between a plotline and real life.

There's no excuse for actually thinking this - not only is it ridiculous, it sends moderate screaming to the Republicans because it creates the impression that Democrat voters are lunatics with no sense of perspective whatsoever.

Actually, you're right, Trump isn't nearly to the extreme of the current Congress. Congress is really loving warped right now and needs to get its poo poo together, and if they did/had I think people would be voting for better presidents.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

On second thought, keep talking. It's not just your positions on these issues, it's the fact that you actually think there's no room for debate (and use a combination of shaming and legal threats to eliminate debate on them) that make things solidly red.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kiryen posted:

it doesn't matter. people who say things like "meaningless war" could see 1,000,000 dead Koreans or even Americans and it still would not cause them to question their conviction that believing every bad thing around the entire world is the fault of those they have designated enemies on the domestic political scene.

i disagree.

there's a big difference between isolated war in desert poo poo-hole and regional war involving numerous political/economic/military allies

more importantly, the impetus between those two specific instances is totally different.

syria would be "an intervention for their own good;" a dubious proposition that we've seen fail numerous times before. a costly, meaningless, virtually endless war in the same vein as Iraq or Afghanistan.

north korea would be in retaliation to a peaceful military test, creating a war with a relatively vulnerable country because they're pursuing things we don't want them to have. assuming they do have working devices, war with them would be incredibly dangerous because of the risk of nuclear weapons, in addition to the massive casualties from invading a region as built up, unified, and dug in as that. and that's on top of the potential damage to the tens of millions of people in the surrounding region

however, if we were responding to some sort of initial violence perpetuated by North Korea, then i would support intervention, but this is far front he case and most likely never happen because North Korea likes to exist.

the point is, not everyone is so callous or numb to the proposition of American military intervention. war is an unequivocally bad thing and its disgusting that democrats are becoming increasingly pro-war

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Pick posted:

Actually, you're right, Trump isn't nearly to the extreme of the current Congress. Congress is really loving warped right now and needs to get its poo poo together, and if they did/had I think people would be voting for better presidents.

Congress is having a hard time getting organized. It isn't "extreme". Extreme is not where you think it is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pick posted:

Republican position on environmental

that's the thing, its not. republican opinion on the environment isnt nearly as extreme as fox news might suggest

of course, i speak for the voters, not for the voted for. which is a sad split

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kiryen posted:

On second thought, keep talking. It's not just your positions on these issues, it's the fact that you actually think there's no room for debate (and use a combination of shaming and legal threats to eliminate debate on them) that make things solidly red.

You're barking up the wrong tree, I've been redtexted a million times by saying people need to start debating again instead of covering their ears and going la la la

• Locked thread