Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anyways im gonna listen to 11hours of patrice oneal talking about movies on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

scuba school sucks posted:

You gonna be hiring anytime soon?

watch the guzzoline stocks then get back to me

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Orkin Mang posted:

anyways im gonna listen to 11hours of patrice oneal talking about movies on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdf-gXGPIA

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

answer me this question: why would North Korea want to provoke an armed response? what does North Korea have to gain from armed conflict?

israel sank the USS Liberty in cold blood, should we bomb them too?

I think the liberty is kind of a pointless question for a couple reasons. For one, it happened 50 years ago so who gives a poo poo anymore. Two, both us and the israelis determined its sinking to be an accident. There are those, including survivors, that say it was deliberate. In my opinion debating which of the two sides is true or arguing some cover-up or whatever is firmly in the conspiracy theory realm so it's pretty extreme to even suggest that we should/should've bombed them as a response to what has been determined to be an accident.

I don't think the case of the liberty is even remotely comparable to what's going on in Syria or N.Korea.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Honky Dong Country posted:

I agree but I worry less about Iran's leadership, as opposed to N.Korea's insane dictator just up and popping a nuke off because they feel threatened by a military exercise or something. I'm more speaking strictly to the idea of N. Korea having nukes which is what's got the current poo poo stirred up so bad recently.

Reminder that Israel successfully mad dogged the mad dog and successfully threatened Nixon with the Samson Option when it looked like they might lose the Yom Kippur War. Yet we're totally OK with them having nukes (because now they already have them)

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMuYvpKoVdQ&t=2451s

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

I think the liberty is kind of a pointless question for a couple reasons. For one, it happened 50 years ago so who gives a poo poo anymore. Two, both us and the israelis determined its sinking to be an accident. There are those, including survivors, that say it was deliberate. In my opinion debating which of the two sides is true or arguing some cover-up or whatever is firmly in the conspiracy theory realm so it's pretty extreme to even suggest that we should/should've bombed them as a response to what has been determined to be an accident.

I don't think the case of the liberty is even remotely comparable to what's going on in Syria or N.Korea.

what does North Korea have to gain by forcing a military response?

the answer is "absolutely nothing"

if you're relying on "nation is just suicidal/they hate us for our freedoms" then congratulations, you're an idiot

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Every time I heard Hillary talk, she reminded me of Nurse Ratched. Maybe people who liked her have had a blessed enough life to have never had met a person like that so they don't know how to read that vibe.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Reminder that Israel successfully mad dogged the mad dog and successfully threatened Nixon with the Samson Option when it looked like they might lose the Yom Kippur War. Yet we're totally OK with them having nukes.

I don't trust Israel with nukes either, but they're fully nuclear capable already and that's not gonna change. N.Korea isn't there yet.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

if you're relying on "nation is just suicidal/they hate us for our freedoms" then congratulations, you're an idiot

I never said that at all. What I've said is I don't trust KJU to not take extreme measures regardless of his reasons. I think it'd be cool if a country that occasionally tries to provoke an armed response doesn't have nuclear weapons at their disposal.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

rip Black Phillip

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I don't trust Israel with nukes either, but they're fully nuclear capable already and that's not gonna change. N.Korea isn't there yet.

i completely trust israel with nukes, basically from the belief that they're a total US protectorate. I guarantee they've had nukes for years before it was public

E. israel is Puerto Rico v. 2 in essence if not reality

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Who wanted to know about election night stuff from the book?

quote:

I don’t see how we win Florida and North Carolina,” Mook said. “So now it’s all eyes on Pennsylvania, and then probably Michigan and Wisconsin as well.”
Hillary was still surprisingly calm, unable or unwilling to delve into the details of how her dream was turning into a nightmare. Bill was less reticent. He’d had a sinking feeling that the British vote to leave the European Union had been a harbinger for a kind of screw-it vote in the United States. He’d seen the transatlantic phenomenon of populist rage at rallies across the country, and warned friends privately of his misgivings about its effect on Hillary’s chances. Now his focus turned back to the international movement he’d seen gathering.
“It’s like Brexit,” he lamented. “I guess it’s real.”

quote:

About 9:30 p.m., one of Hillary’s consultants sidled up next to spokesman Jesse Ferguson at a urinal. The early numbers in Michigan looked so bad, the consultant said, that Hillary was probably finished.

It's a really long section so I'm not gonna quote it but Hillary basically stalls out on her concession speech while an increasingly frustrated Obama calls Mook, then her, then Podesta to push her to not make a big thing out of it and make it seem like the election was illegitimate.

quote:

Original Hillarylander Capricia Marshall, the former White House social secretary and chief protocol officer of the United States, couldn’t come to terms with the decision. She retreated to the living room, finding a spot on the couch that had been Bill Clinton’s home for most of the night. Now, as Trump made his way to the podium at the Hilton, Bill chomped on the back end of a cigar. Philippe Reines, a third refugee from the discussion around Hillary, came in to watch Trump’s victory speech. Bill looked over at the man who’d played Trump in debate-prep sessions. “I wish it was you up there,” he said wistfully.

The book alleges that during the last minute hashing-out of her concession speech, she told her aides "that was my last race". One can hope.

quote:

Her mind kept circling back to two factors: James Comey and Russia. For the first time that night, she lashed out. Her voice rose. Her eyes grew wider. Her hands began moving again. “These guys came in,” she huffed. “We were doing better until this happened.” Bill Clinton nodded in agreement and muttered something about Brexit.
As the night wore on, Reines, who had spent the early part of the evening in his room with friends, no longer wanted to be there. Capricia Marshall was furious. The mood couldn’t have been more grim.
And then the door opened to Clinton’s suite. A hotel server wheeled in a cart of sundaes, with sprinkles.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Israel made less sense to me before this election and I got to hear how many people actually do hate Jews. (What's to hate about 'em? They're totally normal.)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

RaySmuckles posted:

You are assuming a rational actor. You are trying to put your rational mind into your opponent and play against yourself instead of them. One cannot know if their opponent is actually rational or not until the conflict is over and viewed in hindsight.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

i completely trust israel with nukes, basically from the belief that they're a total US protectorate. I guarantee they've had nukes for years before it was public

Yeah you can bet your rear end they've had nukes for a good long time. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hell yeah dude. If you come across anything else interesting toss it out there. I sure as hell aren't going to buy that book but I'm curious about its contents.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
"It's like Brexit. I guess it's real"

Say what you will about Bill but the dude is savvy. The poo poo is absolutely real and it's not over yet.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I never said that at all. What I've said is I don't trust KJU to not take extreme measures regardless of his reasons.

yes, i'm sure he's willing to risk his life as a demigod of an entire nation over something trivial

come on, stop buying the propaganda of "he's just crazy and willing to throw away everything at the drop of a hat"

even if they nuked an entire carrier group it wouldn't get them anything because it would only be a matter of time before they were ground down into dust. North Korea won't ever launch a serious military operation until the troops are on their beaches and the missiles are raining from the sky. the reason we haven't forced an action out of them is that no one wants to deal with the total mess that would create. its a serious "you break it, you buy it" situation.

The Human Crouton posted:

You are assuming a rational actor. You are trying to put your rational mind into your opponent and play against yourself instead of them. One cannot know if their opponent is actually rational or not until the conflict is over and viewed in hindsight.

see, its total madness. the man runs a murderous despotic hell-hole. if he were incompetent he wouldn't be in charge. he'd be dead.

people said the same poo poo all the time about the USSR and those godless soviets, yet we have plenty of evidence of them standing down multiple times on erroneous nuclear threats

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 20, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skasion posted:

Who wanted to know about election night stuff from the book?

quote:

And then the door opened to Clinton’s suite. A hotel server wheeled in a cart of sundaes, with sprinkles.

No way. lol

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Raider posted:

E. israel is Puerto Rico v. 2 in essence if not reality

That's how they became a protectorate, actually. They threatened to nuke the USSR and European capitals if the US didn't bail them out, and eventually we gave up and gave them whatever they wanted

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That's how they became a protectorate, actually. They threatened to nuke the USSR and European capitals if the US didn't bail them out, and eventually we gave up and gave them whatever they wanted

drat. source? gimme some wikipedia

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

yes, i'm sure he's willing to risk his life as a demigod of an entire nation over something trivial

come on, stop buying the propaganda of "he's just crazy and willing to throw away everything at the drop of a hat"

even if they nuked an entire carrier group it wouldn't get them anything because it would only be a matter of time before they were ground down into dust. North Korea won't ever launch a serious military operation until the troops are on their beaches and the missiles are raining from the sky. the reason we haven't forced an action out of them is that no one wants to deal with the total mess that would create. its a serious "you break it, you buy it" situation.

I don't trust any dictator to not do extreme things, especially when their regime is enforced with a cult of personality and state media that routinely publishes apocalyptic statements from that regime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Again, the average person absolutely does not give a poo poo about this stuff. They care that they can't pay rent. Theeeyyy caaannttt paaayyyy reeennnttt

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

reminder that France, England and Israel invaded Egypt to seize the Sinai and only stopped when both the US and USSR said they'd intervene to stop them

think about that for a second

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick posted:

Again, the average person absolutely does not give a poo poo about this stuff. They care that they can't pay rent. Theeeyyy caaannttt paaayyyy reeennnttt

You know us discussing this stuff doesn't mean we don't care about any other thing right?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Blue Raider posted:

drat. source? gimme some wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Option

What would serve the Jew-hating world better in repayment for thousands of years of massacres but a Nuclear Winter. Or invite all those tut-tutting European statesmen and peace activists to join us in the ovens? For the first time in history, a people facing extermination while the world either cackles or looks away—unlike the Armenians, Tibetans, World War II European Jews or Rwandans—have the power to destroy the world. The ultimate justice?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 20, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I don't trust any dictator to not do extreme things, especially when their regime is enforced with a cult of personality and state media that routinely publishes apocalyptic statements from that regime.

please, tell me the dictators that performed random violent actions that brought the wrath of superior militaries down upon them

don't loving say hitler

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

please, tell me the dictators that performed random violent actions that brought the wrath of superior militaries down upon them

don't loving say hitler

adolf h.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Swear to god it's in the book

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

RaySmuckles posted:

don't loving say hitler

Saddam lol

e- 80's Libya, too

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pick posted:

we get it. its still interesting to read about global politics

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pol Pot

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

we get it. its still interesting to read about global politics

yeah, it's like... not really though

the domestic consolidation of capital is tho

BV
Oct 23, 2005

NO ITS FUNNY. FUCK YOU. TIA

spacetoaster posted:

There are a lot of fundamental Jews/Christians/whatever in the US. They interpret their holy books to be complete and literal. I'm pretty sure we don't need to bomb Roman Catholics or whatever.

Have Roman Catholics in recent years been blowing themselves up in crowded areas, hijacking and crashing airplanes, cutting off people's heads, burning people alive, drowning people in large cages, and overthrowing governments and imposing some sort of Christian law complete with sex slaves?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

don't loving say hitler

I'm not saying random. I'm saying whatever happens in the future with N.Korea I'd rather it not happen with them having nukes. That's all.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pick posted:

yeah, it's like... not really though

the domestic consolidation of capital is tho

pick, i dont dislike you, but posts like this, might i suggest reddit.com

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

saddam was tricked into war

the US told him they wouldn't intervene and then did

the guy was a CIA asset and we were his benefactor during the Iran-Iraq war

very different situation

but, i'll still give you a point.

OTHER than saddam? our one time ally that was acting under an assumption of permission from said superior military?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

There are a lot of fundamental Jews/Christians/whatever in the US. They interpret their holy books to be complete and literal. I'm pretty sure we don't need to bomb Roman Catholics or whatever.

Not even the Pope sees the Bible as 100% literal, that is not the Catholic church's stance and other iterations of Catholicism are by definition not Catholicism.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I'm not saying random. I'm saying whatever happens in the future with N.Korea I'd rather it not happen with them having nukes. That's all.

Honestly, once they get nukes, the whole situation would probably start to calm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you want to know a serious global concern, though, the Catholic church is waging its own (losing) war of influence. Religion is not working for Christian powers the way it used to.

• Locked thread