Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NtotheTC posted:

gently caress. If Lewis has a kid he'll become a poo poo racing driver like massa, rosberg or grosjean I think? Either way all drivers with kids are terrible.
Seb has 2 kids and he's Super. The Studliest at the Scud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also Nico had a kid :shrug:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If this story couldn't get more heartbreaking than it already is - The target for Billy has been reached after his best friend James Pull dropped £7.5k into the pot.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Devlin Defrancesco also donated £26k. Really heartwarming to see the racing community come together like this. Maybe we're not the worst after all?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Norns posted:

I'm gunna go take a walk and be super thankful for poo poo.

Way to rub it in, rear end in a top hat!

:(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Very similar crash happened between a P1 car and a GT car at Daytona or Sebring last year. Looked loving horrible. I think everyone walked away from that one but it was the same situation, 3 cars in a tight group come up on one that had just broken down and was limping on the side of the track, someone in the rear of the group pulls out to pass and slams the broken down car at high speed.

It's pretty similar to the crash that Memo Gidley had a couple of years back only with a single seater, if that's what you're thinking of.

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NtotheTC posted:

gently caress. If Lewis has a kid he'll become a poo poo racing driver like massa, rosberg or grosjean I think? Either way all drivers with kids are terrible.

Big John actually got better after having a kid

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

NtotheTC posted:

Doesn't Vettel have a kid? Then again I think that was right before 2014 so uhhhhhhh

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Mario Andretti speaks up on the "Jenna Fryer is pretty dumb" issue

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/mario-andretti-livid-over-critical-alonso-indy-500-column-895959/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bloody hell. I just saw thw foootage. He went in front first where all the impact protection is but the othet car wasnt a flat surface and i can imagine something poked through. Ugh

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

Poor kid, :( small glimmer of hope is that the reports say it's lower limb which means less problems with fitting prosthetic limbs. The induced coma is normal procedure and it's to to reduce the chance of him going into shock, they will start bringing him round when they are absolutely sure his blood pressure is stabilised, and also that blood clots won't be a thing.

Wall of champions is being modified so the wider cars don't repeatedly slam into it. Don't read any comments sections if you wish to remain calm, the usual blood sport fanatics are out in force.

Thank gently caress for that, he is only losing his lower limbs so its not all bad

:wtc:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Nah it really is. If you keep your knee your way more mobile. There was south african runner that shot his wife, the bladerunner. They van make springy grippy things to walk and even run fast on but replicating the knee joint makes it all a lot lot harder

I think zanardinwas hamburger meat all the wait to his upper thigh. Sorry phone posting

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Anecdotal: My dad is diabetic and has one leg amputated below the knee. His mobility is better with 1 prosthesis than with two "real" legs.

Definitely not the case if you have two good working legs, but with modern medicine and prosthetics the kid might have a pretty normal life. Still really sucks, though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenna is dumb as gently caress and of all the names she said who would be better for Indy the only one i know is Patrick

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 20, 2017

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I read it and read that an female American roundabout reporter does know who Alonso is, but her 13 year old daughter doesn't.

Also apparently it's a thing you can just rock up and win. You don't need experience or anything.

But hey. Dont be an rear end in a top hat. Lets look up this Danica Patrick that was going to be so much better.

This is your hero? Ok, gently caress this. No wait, she'd be inspiring to young girls like the reporter's daughter? Is that why she should be there? Because she is a woman and literally nothing else? Is it really this loving stupid? Do I have it wrong?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tony Montana posted:

I read it and read that an female American roundabout reporter does know who Alonso is, but her 13 year old daughter doesn't.

Also apparently it's a thing you can just rock up and win. You don't need experience or anything.

But hey. Dont be an rear end in a top hat. Lets look up this Danica Patrick that was going to be so much better.

This is your hero? Ok, gently caress this. No wait, she'd be inspiring to young girls like the reporter's daughter? Is that why she should be there? Because she is a woman and literally nothing else? Is it really this loving stupid? Do I have it wrong?

Her tw profile pic is her and Danica at the gym

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pretty sure they are friends, yeah.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Would I be right to assume Stewart-Haas racing is the same Gene Haas who can also fund a quite respectable F1 team at the same time, so Stewart-Haas is also rich as gently caress and probably one of the better cars on the grid?

Anyways ok it's literally I have tits and my friend has tits and my daughter will one day have tits. Alonso has no tits. I will write an article about this, how can this be fair.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My little cousin loves Alonso and she plays with my cars. She has no idea who Danica is and i hope she doesnt writes trash articles when she grows up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm not sure about all that but tits are pretty great

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norns posted:

Yeah. They are awesome. I dont follow Danicas career so i dont know if she is good or not. That article was bad and that journalist is dumb as gently caress and her "but im a girl" defense is out of place IMO

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tony Montana posted:

Would I be right to assume Stewart-Haas racing is the same Gene Haas who can also fund a quite respectable F1 team at the same time, so Stewart-Haas is also rich as gently caress and probably one of the better cars on the grid?

Anyways ok it's literally I have tits and my friend has tits and my daughter will one day have tits. Alonso has no tits. I will write an article about this, how can this be fair.

One and the same, yes.

Well, mostly. Legally they're independent of each other but they're both next door neighbors in the US

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tony's a misogynist too! Not at all, lets have a video of an actually good female driver, to be honest pretty much the only one that actually brought it to the guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb4DILvSG9o

Michelle doesn't need anyone, let alone reporter friends, to inflate her achievements. She is also french and beautiful in a way leaves poor Danica for dead.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

No Danica is poo poo I don't think anyone will argue that.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
María Villota was pretty ok i think. Her accident was a freak show and pretty Big for the spanish speaking audience.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is de Silvestro as well. She's decent.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

I just noticed only one F1 driver has ever won championships in 3 different teams. That's Are Juan Manuel. He's probably a better skier than Schumacher too.

This needs more love

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Both María Villota and Silvestro had/have potential to be decent, but they haven't done anything. Simona got 3rd in a championship approaching 10 years ago and now she drives Supercars! So that's her done and finished. We never learned how poor Maria would have gone.

Michelle beat Walter Röhrl during the Group B era. She threw an insane S4 Quattro so drat sideways that she came second in the championship and nearly loving won it. Three rallies in 82 she won outright, with no man or woman able to drive faster than her.

To lump them in together is kind of insulting to Michelle.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is also Desire Wilson and Lella Lombardi.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
ah I forgot about Lombardi. That's as close we've come to a real female F1 driver. Of course she is Italian :D

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Roller Coast Guard posted:

It's pretty similar to the crash that Memo Gidley had a couple of years back only with a single seater, if that's what you're thinking of.
That's the one, I could have sworn it was last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeS857QPy5U

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's the one, I could have sworn it was last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeS857QPy5U

holy poo poo :stare: That's eerily similar.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
There was a similar wreck at the start of a V8SC race a few yesrs back too. Always horrifying.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Here is De Ferran running into the back of Gualter Salles at Long Beach '97 in a similar situation;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7GMdiuTz_4

F1 is lucky it did not have more incidents where fast moving cars hit stationary ones in the days where they left stricken cars on the side of the track.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 20, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Here is De Ferran running into the back of Gualter Salles at Long Beach '97 in a similar situation;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7GMdiuTz_4

F1 is lucky it did not have more incidents where fast moving cars hit stationary ones in the days where they left stricken cars on the side of the track.

That crash was extra lucky that it was mostly hitting the wheels, not the main body.

I think racing in general is very, very lucky as a whole that there aren't as many fatalities or life altering injuries these days. Though a few high profile incidents lately have marred that.

The sad thing about it is that it usually takes a high profile incident like that to cause the increased safety measures.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

Agreed, OP. Tits are pretty great :respek:

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Renault pictures an F1 future they can also lose at:
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/04/renault-imagines-the-grand-prix-car-of-2027/

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is it weird if the car design is the least stupid thing thought up by Renault on that page?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Theophany posted:

Do we know what exactly happened? I'm guessing the other car had broken down quicker than they could get the yellow flags out - also seems odd that it would be parked up on the circuit instead of having rolled onto the grass.

I read (from youtube comments mind you) that the car he ran into had spun out in the wet a split second earlier, which was why it looked completely stopped on the racing line.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
4wd, 4 wheel steer, active suspension, active aero, 5 times the electrical power of a current f1 car :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Zak Brown is interviewed on the new Marshall Pruitt podcast. Zak makes it pretty clear that McLaren is looking at running Indy in more than just a Indy 500 capacity.

Definitely into that idea myself.

• Locked thread