Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

please, tell me the dictators that performed random violent actions that brought the wrath of superior militaries down upon them

Gaddafi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm not saying random. I'm saying whatever happens in the future with N.Korea I'd rather it not happen with them having nukes. That's all.

everyone said the same thing about Pakistan, and they've got much more reason to use them (against india) and have been behaving in a way that would escalate tension AND have a disputed territory that violence breaks out over frequently

but no one seems to care about that situation at all

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

eh, that was internal stuff

and the US recognized the Khmer Rouge as the official government until the 90's lmao

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Honestly, once they get nukes, the whole situation would probably start to calm down.

Yeah that's possible. Frankly I don't like the idea of anybody having nukes, but that can of worms has loooooong be let loose. I'd rather not let tons and tons of countries get them.

RaySmuckles posted:

everyone said the same thing about Pakistan, and they've got much more reason to use them (against india) and have been behaving in a way that would escalate tension AND have a disputed territory that violence breaks out over frequently

I think it's bad that Pakistan got nukes too.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BV posted:

Have Roman Catholics in recent years been blowing themselves up in crowded areas, hijacking and crashing airplanes, cutting off people's heads, burning people alive, drowning people in large cages, and overthrowing governments and imposing some sort of Christian law complete with sex slaves?

Nope.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RaySmuckles posted:

Everyone is extremely worried and mad when a country is close to getting nukes. Then they get them and suddenly everyone is acting all nice and poo poo even though the country is the same despotic shithole it was before. Wow, I wonder why every dictator wants these things

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

Again, the average person absolutely does not give a poo poo about this stuff. They care that they can't pay rent. Theeeyyy caaannttt paaayyyy reeennnttt

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Pick posted:

If you want to know a serious global concern, though, the Catholic church is waging its own (losing) war of influence. Religion is not working for Christian powers the way it used to.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hillary: This is the worst day ever. Nothing could ever fix this!
Bill: Well I may know something that can fix this.
Hillary: Yeah? And what's that?
*Bill takes a credit card out of his wallet and dangles it in the air smiling.*
Bill: New SHOES!!!!

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 20, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

Not even the Pope sees the Bible as 100% literal, that is not the Catholic church's stance and other iterations of Catholicism are by definition not Catholicism.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a3.htm

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

The Human Crouton posted:

lmao

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Everyone is extremely worried and mad when a country is close to getting nukes. Then they get them and suddenly everyone is acting all nice and poo poo even though the country is the same despotic shithole it was before. Wow, I wonder why every dictator wants these things

exactly

all nukes are are imperial intervention prevention

ruling countries hate it because it robs them of their threat of military power. 3rd world countries love them because they stop being as easily exploited

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

eh, that was internal stuff

and the US recognized the Khmer Rouge as the official government until the 90's lmao

fair points

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Well that's the thing, capitalistic forces have gotten way too good at promoting themselves to the detriment of all opposing forces. Family, friends, religion, nature... anything that brings security instead of "stuff" must go.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skasion posted:

Swear to god it's in the book

Do they say who sent it? It'd be awesome if it was Trump.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Umm... yeah, that's exactly what that says.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Human Crouton posted:

Literally 90% of the content from @IfHillaryHad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

109 In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way. To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.75

110 In order to discover the sacred authors' intention, the reader must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."76

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

Umm... yeah, that's exactly what that says.

I can't be bothered to read it. Bomb all the fundamentalists.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BV posted:

Have Roman Catholics in recent years been blowing themselves up in crowded areas, hijacking and crashing airplanes, cutting off people's heads, burning people alive, drowning people in large cages, and overthrowing governments and imposing some sort of Christian law complete with sex slaves?

i remember when the nightclub shooting happened and the guy who posted the thread was like 'sounds like a disgruntled protestant preacher to me' lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

here's something relevantish to the thread. I live in a city where the municipal government controls the internet. Comcast et al still exist but barely. The EPB is city owned and offers 100Mbps, 1Gbits, or 10Gbits. This is a local government initiative, and they're killing it. It has revived the city and added thousands of more jobs. My internet loving owns. I'm a republican, but I'm a Tennessee Republican. There's value in taxpayer investment.

I have access the the fastest internet in the country and its a result of the city government. Food for thought.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pick posted:

Well that's the thing, capitalistic forces have gotten way too good at promoting themselves to the detriment of all opposing forces. Family, friends, religion, nature... anything that brings security instead of "stuff" must go.

Correct. And, ironically, the social liberalizing forces like both liberals and libertarians are "useful idiots" in this regard when they are prodded into attacking traditional systems of value, which must be cleared away so that the absolute rule of money power can be created.

This why weird stuff like legalizing prostitution is on the agenda. Because for money power to be absolute, all human relationships must be commoditized. No love, only sex work and companion work. No family, only child care work and home aides. No ethnicity, no race, no religion to get in the way. Everything can be bought with money by those with money.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Orkin Mang posted:

i remember when the nightclub shooting happened and the guy who posted the thread was like 'sounds like a disgruntled protestant preacher to me' lol

I'm still sad at those 50 cav scouts getting killed.

Here's a video of Hillary Clinton's 2020 election run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgX0Eh0YzuI

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Correct. And, ironically, the social liberalizing forces like both liberals and libertarians are "useful idiots" in this regard when they are prodded into attacking traditional systems of value, which must be cleared away so that the absolute rule of money power can be created.

This why weird stuff like legalizing prostitution is on the agenda. Because for money power to be absolute, all human relationships must be commoditized. No love, only sex work and companion work. No family, only child care work and home aides. No ethnicity, no race, no religion. Everything can be bought with money so long as they have money.

I'm really annoyed that I agree with you.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

here's something relevantish to the thread. I live in a city where the municipal government controls the internet. Comcast et al still exist but barely. The EPB is city owned and offers 100Mbps, 1Gbits, or 10Gbits. This is a local government initiative, and they're killing it. It has revived the city and added thousands of more jobs. My internet loving owns. I'm a republican, but I'm a Tennessee Republican. There's value in taxpayer investment.

I have access the the fastest internet in the country and its a result of the city government. Food for thought.

Yeah poo poo like this is cool. Especially considering how loving lovely my internet is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah poo poo like this is cool. Especially considering how loving lovely my internet is.

Come to Chattanooga, friend.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This why weird stuff like legalizing prostitution is on the agenda. Because for money power to be absolute, all human relationships must be commoditized. No love, only sex work and companion work. No family, only child care work and home aides. No ethnicity, no race, no religion to get in the way. Everything can be bought with money by those with money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Frankly, I recently started meeting some pretty cool-seeming guys and it's because I started going back to church weekly. It's one of the last bastions of people who care about a not-money thing.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All modern religions and churches, and each and every religious organisation, are instruments of bourgeois reaction that serve to defend exploitation and to befuddle the working class.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

Come to Chattanooga, friend.

I've thought about trying to get a job at the Sequoyah nuke plant but I'm betting that's prolly a bit beyond that municipal internet lol.

E: Watts bar is near there too, actually.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've thought about trying to get a job at the Sequoyah nuke plant but I'm betting that's prolly a bit beyond that municipal internet lol.

That's about 50 miles away. but the TVA headquarters is downtown central.

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Im loving laugghing my rear end off and getting insanely pumped up, imaginging myself as the commander and chief and directing the strike of over 700 tomahawk cruise missiles, americasn future soldier warriors using lasers to guide the rockets in with unbelievable precision, bomb aafter bomb smashing into and destroying all of Pick's posts. Im pacing around the computer room and breathing hard and picturing the explosions engulf each one of Pick's stupid goddamn words. Fuckin g BLOW BLOW BLOW BAM BAM BLADOWWWW

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blue Raider posted:

That's about 50 miles away. but the TVA headquarters is downtown central.

Yeeeeah I'm not really a headquartersy guy. I literally climb all over and take apart nuclear reactors. An actual plant's where I belong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No one can really express why they want certain things any more, on their own terms and not with memes (in the scientific sense not the doge sense). Why do they want marriage to go away? Why do they think people shouldn't have kids? Why do they think that maybe there should be death panels for the elderly? Why do people stop going to church? Why, REALLY?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Yeeeeah I'm not really a headquartersy guy. I literally climb all over and take apart nuclear reactors. An actual plant's where I belong.

No defense then. It's too much of a drive to get to Bull Run from Chatt, but you should really consider. It's an amazing city and getting more so

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

Why do people stop going to church? Why, REALLY?

Because they realize it doesn't actually help them except as a crutch and it's all fake anyway because if there is a god no humans on Earth understand who or what it is.

Also because church used to be the cornerstone of the community but nowadays that function has been largely replaced by numerous other things so there's no real impetus to go if you are a non-believer, whereas they used to anyway for the societal/community aspect (and to not be ostracized).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dog Jones posted:

Im loving laugghing my rear end off and getting insanely pumped up, imaginging myself as the commander and chief and directing the strike of over 700 tomahawk cruise missiles, americasn future soldier warriors using lasers to guide the rockets in with unbelievable precision, bomb aafter bomb smashing into and destroying all of Pick's posts. Im pacing around the computer room and breathing hard and picturing the explosions engulf each one of Pick's stupid goddamn words. Fuckin g BLOW BLOW BLOW BAM BAM BLADOWWWW

Hell yeah!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dog Jones posted:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pick posted:

No one can really express why they want certain things any more, on their own terms and not with memes (in the scientific sense not the doge sense). Why do they want marriage to go away? Why do they think people shouldn't have kids? Why do they think that maybe there should be death panels for the elderly? Why do people stop going to church? Why, REALLY?

I think marriage is fine but also don't care if people get married or not, not for me to say how other people handle relationships. I think people should have kids if they want them, it's a biological imperative to reproduce and personally I'd like for my family name to carry on when I'm dead. I don't think there should be death panels for the elderly, but I think an old should be allowed to decide to euthanize themselves if they want to. I don't go to church because I don't believe in organized religion.

Personally I think people are much more likely to articulate their reasons for their beliefs in a setting like this, where people aren't immediately attacking each other for thinking differently. Overall I think this thread has done very good at that. But when you've got a charged and aggressive environment going on, why would somebody bother to express their beliefs if some raging nerd is just gonna freak the hell out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

COMRADES posted:

Because they realize it doesn't actually help them except as a crutch and it's all fake anyway because if there is a god no humans on Earth understand who or what it is.

Also because church used to be the cornerstone of the community but nowadays that function has been largely replaced by numerous other things so there's no real impetus to go if you are a non-believer, whereas they used to anyway for the societal/community aspect (and to not be ostracized).

There's no community left.

People don't know their neighbors and don't expect to spend a lifetime around them. Until her death, my grandmother wrote 2 cards a week to each her old neighbors. Piles and piles of letters, and she received just as many. Those were strong, lifelong bonds.

• Locked thread