Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Here's the best run-down I've read on Warden, which I don't play, but this bit makes it sound great. The gambits seem confusing but if you get to know them progressively, which is the way they are learnt, I don't see why they'd pose a problem. I'll let Bramble explain:

The Bramble posted:

I just want to speak in defense of the Warden for a moment. The class gets a somewhat deserved reputation for complexity, and there is a monstrous and confusing chart floating around there that describes all the different gambits you can do. While an expert warden knows them all intimately, a 'good enough' warden is one of the most powerful solo players in the game and only needs a handful. That the gambits are mostly repeating patterns is worth noting too - you aren't reinventing the wheel here.

A warden out there leveling on their own can grab 4-6 on-level mobs, tank the damage effectively, and have them all drop at the same time by rotating through Brink of Victory (fi-sh-fi), Surety of Death (fi-sh-fi-sh), and Desolation (fi-sh-fi-sh-fi). That's 2 buttons and you've wiped out a room full of enemies. If you're fighting a strong single target, swap the shield for the spear button. Plus you're wearing medium armor and have a shield, you have a run speed buff and the ability to instantly muster to all the important areas with no cooldown, you have a ranged weapon in the javelin that is just as good as your melee attacks, and when you're all growed up you are an acceptable tank in groups with some retraining.

If you're leveling and spending most of your time solo, I don't think you can do much better than a warden. And because the class has such a high skill ceiling if you choose to reach for it, you can be a very impressive group member who fills a number of roles in later content.

It makes it sound like fun. I imagine the difficulty is found when you take breaks from the game. If you didn't get the muscle memory for it it may take a bit to warm yourself back into it.

I'd also suggest being a hobbit over a snooty elf but that's just me. Regardless of where you start, I strongly advise you to do the Shire, it captures the mood of this game perfectly. Ered Luin is pretty interesting for seeing what drives Tolkienien elves and dwarves. Bree is fine. It's always well-written at any rate and it grants you easy access to Buckland, the Old-Forest, and the Barrow-downs, though you can go that route if you do the Shire as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know if it's a bad idea but I've simply traveled to begin questing in the low-level questing area of other races. So my elf rune-keeper leveled in the dwarf lands, my human minstrel in the Shire, etc. :shrug:

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
There's no negative impact to that

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
Sorry I missed out on the island drive. I've a few points lying around and I'm happy to spring for any crafting stations that are lacking. I've placed a premium ingredient box thingy in the yard but I'm not sure if y'all can use it. let me know either way.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Has anyone got the cloak from getting all of the Host of the West reps to max? I'm confused because the info I've found about it, e.g. here, shows it as having +355 agi/might/will, +118 vit, +1651 crit, and one 105 essence slot. But this is exactly the same stats as the Cloak of the Black Gate you get for free for finishing the U20 epic, which seems wrong--in that case there'd be no point in grinding for it. Am I missing something?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Panorama posted:

Sorry I missed out on the island drive. I've a few points lying around and I'm happy to spring for any crafting stations that are lacking. I've placed a premium ingredient box thingy in the yard but I'm not sure if y'all can use it. let me know either way.

No worries and thanks for your offer, I will check what we're missing. Good reminder for me to move mine there. a few of the people who owned the (account bound) crafting stations had them automatically mailed back to them when we bought the goon island, Blondii and Nazgun brought theirs to the new kinhall but I think one or two were owned by people who aren't playing right now. I've got a workbench and farming field I'll bring in tonight. Will update this post with what we're seemingly missing, but you could wait til after the 20th anniversary since a lot of players will return.

Also thanks Dunkadin, I didn't even realize you got one of these.
You open the premium crate and find [6 Universal Ingredient Packs]!
Very nice, but only usable by subscribers I think.

jalapeno_dude posted:

Has anyone got the cloak from getting all of the Host of the West reps to max? I'm confused because the info I've found about it--- But this is exactly the same stats as the Cloak of the Black Gate you get for free for finishing the U20 epic, which seems wrong

Goes up to 474 of your main stat so that's just the fansite missing a screenshot. The grind isn't too bad if you do the featured instance for extra provisions and of course always have rep accels cranked up, always.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 14, 2017

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Sooo it turns out there may be a back door to the black gate:

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

alucinor posted:

Sooo it turns out there may be a back door to the black gate:

Did you make it? Pretty sure it'll autokill you if you get in, but I'd still like to see it

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

extra stout posted:

Did you make it? Pretty sure it'll autokill you if you get in, but I'd still like to see it

No, I got careless and fell off a steep part, then got distracted by an RT group.

It may be too steep overall, but I'll be trying again tonight!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Do not play a Warden as a new player, if for no other reason than if you take a break and come back it is a hell of a lot worse trying to relearn the gambit system than any other class and if the class doesn't click for you then it's going to be hell while most other classes, especially champion and minstrel, are straightforward and good.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I think I'm going to try Minstrel or Hunter. Does this game have decent loot? I like good looking weapons and playing dress up is important. Are there end game weapons to chase?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I think I'm going to try Minstrel or Hunter. Does this game have decent loot? I like good looking weapons and playing dress up is important. Are there end game weapons to chase?

The loot system is wide and varied.
There are some cosmetic weapons, lots of cosmetic items. You can equip armour pieces as 'wardrobe' items so they appear instead of the appearance of your equipped gear.

Later/endgame weapons are called legendary items. You can name, level up and customise them in terms of ability-boosts. If you are familiar with WoW, think the current legendary weapon situation except you can name them, there are many (though usually one or two types for your class) and you choose the abilities to have and upgrade on them.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Once you get past the Moria sections and into your 60s and 70s, the armor starts looking a lot better and is more usable for cosmetic use, in my opinion. You can combine a lot of that stuff for some pretty dope outfits.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Only super hero MMOs beat this game for PC clothing options.

As Innerguard mentioned, it looks like WoW stole this game's Legendary Items system and made some slight modifications to it.

This game has just recently started to return to the "normal" MMO paradigm of phat lewt-based end game raiding. The previous company that owned the game hired an Executive Producer literally from Farmville that didn't seem to get what MMOs are all about, and she staunchly insisted that the number of people that raid was so insignificant that they weren't going to waste money on it. Unsurprisingly, that almost killed the game. The devs have done a pretty good job of turning things around, all things considered.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Brave New World posted:

I'm finally about to get a war horse for my Guardian on Laurelin, but I've heard a lot of bad things about mounted combat for Guards. Can any Goonguards give me some advice on what my least-shittiest option is? My main's a Hunter, which is supposedly one of the better classes for MC, but I hate MC nonetheless.
I played a Minstrel my first time through and a Guardian second; the adjustment was a little bit rough because of the lack of ranged attack and the fact that MC is just generally such a shift from regular combat. That said, once I got used to it it's actually not that bad. I run it in red line and it's either a medium steed or heavy, I don't remember. You'll have a couple of skills that tether your target to you briefly and they help mitigate your short range. Pick off ranged opponents first. Circle in and out of melee opponents' range and hit them as you go past them.

For any class MC is a long learning curve but eventually something should click and it'll get loads easier. On occasion MC is even the superior choice against unmounted enemies!

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, MC sucks but for e.g. Hunters it makes survivability go way up against melee mobs; you can literally just ride in circles and take no damage. There were a few quests in West Rohan that I only managed to beat this way, though admittedly that could be because back then I both sucked at playing my class and was way squishier.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Update 20.1 will be in today, servers down from 8 am to noon EST I think

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?653049-Update-20-1-Release-Notes&p=7713989#post7713989

It's like 20 bug fixes and more importantly- the 10th anniversary quests that will be gone forever in summer so try and give them a few minutes a week for nostalgia, story, or rewards that will probably sell for loads down the reward if not bound.

Of Special Note

10th Anniversary Scavenger Hunt

Our new Anniversary Scavenger Hunt begins on Thursday! Waldo Rumble requires your assistance at the Party Tree in the Shire. Complete scavenger hunts each week to earn rewards and celebrate ten years of LOTRO!

IMMEDIATE ERROR UPDATE: I think it's being patched in with 20.1 but that sounds like it doesn't go live til Thursday, but ok there you know about it now you're welcome

In the mean time this person made a great thread for people to post loads of alpha, beta and launch to Moria screenshots people saved in glorious 800x600 resolution
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7713905

extra stout fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 18, 2017

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Ahh the days when elves were just ugly effeminate men with strange posture.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Looking to try this game again some point soon.

How far can you progress/do you lose out on anything while leveling without the expansion packs? I'd rather buy them on a sale than for 50bucks or whatever they are right now.

Thanks!

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The game is completely free with only a few extremely minor downsides(a few little stat bonuses and swift travel between towns) until around level 33. At that point, you'll need to buy 2-3 quest packs to bridge the gap between 33 and 50- which is when you hit Moria, the 1st expansion. I know there's a really good xpac pack bundle, but I'm not sure what the details on that are.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hoo boy, I actually got a lifetime subscription to the game way, way back, and enjoyed my pipeweed-farming, beer-brewing minstrel, but eventually just couldn't deal with the mind-numbing slog of trying to get up to max level while mostly soloing. Has the game been retooled to make it more playable while solo? Or, at the very least, streamlining the process of finding some folks to do quests with?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Every class is able solo the entire "epic" quest line and most of the side quests. You can solo from start to finish and probably spend a good portion of that time outlevelling most of the content.

If you're a lifer, dig through all the reward and presents and crap each new character starts with. Chances are you have at least 1 +xp item in there to top it all off.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I came back to the game a few months ago, similar situation -- bought the lifetime subscription back around when Moria came out but stopped playing for a few years. And always preferred soloing unless my one or two friends who play the game happen to be online. So far I've been finding it almost too easy to level up. There's been very little grinding; just following the epic quests and whatever pops up in each quest hub, I've been able to advance at a steady clip.

Also, they added a great feature where if you're in an area where there's a quest you're eligible for but you didn't happen to catch the NPC who grants it beforehand, it pops up a thing that lets you start the quest anyway.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Happy to hear soloing works fine, im coming from swtor where you get max level in a few days with no need to do sidequests.

I have no problems subscribing to get the quest packs, just dont want to shell 50bux for the expansion quad pack until i know im going to play the game more, hope they will have a sale for the pack soon.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Max level in a few days? That's fast.

While leveling in LOTRO isn't hard, it's definitely not that fast, heh. And as everyone in this thread will tell you - rushing through LOTRO is the wrongest way to play the game.

By far, the most redeeming part of this game is seeing the content, enjoying the zones, knowing what's going on, taking in the lore. Sure, it's mostly bear rear end quests, but they're still usually fun, and there's a lot of great storylines and great environments.

Personally I find the end-game poo poo, mostly focused around dropping LOTRO bucks to support the loving terrible essence system. That's just my opinion though.

I don't even understand the gear for the latest content pack. I'm getting scraps of dagorlad poo poo and random other items that I have no idea what to do with. There's 3 new rep vendors that want Salt and poo poo, but other than a few quests that I've already done, I don't know how to get it (I didn't see it as a reward for a few of the dailies you get for the caves, but granted I didn't check them all). Doesn't help that I also don't overly care anymore. And the last content pack the end game grind was picking flowers - go gently caress yourself.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Max level in a few days? That's fast.

While leveling in LOTRO isn't hard, it's definitely not that fast, heh. And as everyone in this thread will tell you - rushing through LOTRO is the wrongest way to play the game.

By far, the most redeeming part of this game is seeing the content, enjoying the zones, knowing what's going on, taking in the lore. Sure, it's mostly bear rear end quests, but they're still usually fun, and there's a lot of great storylines and great environments.

Personally I find the end-game poo poo, mostly focused around dropping LOTRO bucks to support the loving terrible essence system. That's just my opinion though.

I don't even understand the gear for the latest content pack. I'm getting scraps of dagorlad poo poo and random other items that I have no idea what to do with. There's 3 new rep vendors that want Salt and poo poo, but other than a few quests that I've already done, I don't know how to get it (I didn't see it as a reward for a few of the dailies you get for the caves, but granted I didn't check them all). Doesn't help that I also don't overly care anymore. And the last content pack the end game grind was picking flowers - go gently caress yourself.

As far as I understand it, you have to craft items using the bartered items (scraps of dagorlad weapons, armor, onyx, etc.) and then trade them to the three new vendors for salt and the other reputation items. You need to be an anorien crafter but at least you learn some of the recipes automatically. I don't like this system much, it seems needlessly confusing and like it's just a way to draw out the gearing process even longer.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
After months of grinding, I finally finished the Vanguard of Central Gondor deed just a little while ago. I was happy to finally get the [Blemished Symbol of the Elder King] it awards, but the grinding nearly drove me insane and it was a huge letdown from a story perspective. Even Hytboldt had more/better closure.

Tomorrow I start picking flowers because I'm always one region behind.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brave New World posted:

After months of grinding, I finally finished the Vanguard of Central Gondor deed just a little while ago. I was happy to finally get the [Blemished Symbol of the Elder King] it awards, but the grinding nearly drove me insane and it was a huge letdown from a story perspective. Even Hytboldt had more/better closure.

:stare:

Gonna just never, ever do that deed.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

:stare:

Gonna just never, ever do that deed.

It's actually been nerfed repeatedly and only takes like a week now. Highly recommended, if only because riding into battle with the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith as a Thane feels great.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

As far as I understand it, you have to craft items using the bartered items (scraps of dagorlad weapons, armor, onyx, etc.) and then trade them to the three new vendors for salt and the other reputation items. You need to be an anorien crafter but at least you learn some of the recipes automatically. I don't like this system much, it seems needlessly confusing and like it's just a way to draw out the gearing process even longer.

You can get all of those from crafting, looting mobs in caves and in the new 'resource dungeons',, from questing too. So it's a lot of sources of items, then you'll want to use rep accel and admittedly it's still a big grind. Kindred with all four is how you barter for the ultimate version of the gold cloak, with lots of other rewards including new cosmetics and new gold jewelry along the way.

I've been doing it an hour a night so I'm not there yet but also not bored with it, and the anniversary events just went live at midnight so this will be a fun distraction. There's a dragon themed set of cosmetic armor, matching horse, loads of new pets and who knows what else. Go to a hobbit named Waldo Rumble under the party tree for the longer and new quests involving old regions, bosses, and nostalgia. Go to Thorin's Hall and bash people with a club for the plain old easy grinding of anniversary tokens.

edit
These quests will be available again next year but your progress will be reset, new post claims

extra stout fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 21, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Unfortunately for me even after all these years my characters are fairly low level and probably can't complete most of the quests.

EDIT: Even the first list requires being at least L100 to finish. How disappointing. And the things lower levels can do are basically impossible because so many people are trying to do them.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 20, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately for me even after all these years my characters are fairly low level and probably can't complete most of the quests.

EDIT: Even the first list requires being at least L100 to finish. How disappointing. And the things lower levels can do are basically impossible because so many people are trying to do them.

Yeah, when I realized I couldn't do even the Year One scavenger hunt because it requires going to the Dead Marshes I was like 'welp, that's that, guess it'll be an event for the 100s'.

Edit: I can do some of the other quests and get a few tokens that way, at least.

Double edit: though the one that's easy to do at any level has a three day cooldown (though it has seven parts so you do get multiple tokens).

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

To add to my annoyance I saw a new quest ring inside the Prancing Pony. I eventually found that it was Gandalf upstairs who gave me a quest for Rivendell. I figured I'd save it for a rainy day but when I accepted it BANG I was in freaking Rivendell. None of that "TRAVEL NOW" "TRAVEL LATER" stuff. I hoofed it to the stable only to find that none of the destinations worked without buying stuff from the store.

My character is now standing at the Rivendell freeway onramp holding his thumb out to try and hitch a ride home.

PELENNOR VET
EVERY SHILLING HELPS
ERU BLESS

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Those kinds of quests used to be rare and used to say "accepting this quest will instantly send you to X." Then they added a bunch more and did not include the warning.

If you're still stuck this afternoon, I will come hunter port you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thank goodness I primarily play this as a game of exploration so even when weird stuff happens I take it as an opportunity to see if I can get home. It reminds me of the early WoW days, with my lowbie dwarf running naked from Ironforge to Menethil being chased all the way by orcs and giant spiders.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Dick Trauma posted:

To add to my annoyance I saw a new quest ring inside the Prancing Pony. I eventually found that it was Gandalf upstairs who gave me a quest for Rivendell. I figured I'd save it for a rainy day but when I accepted it BANG I was in freaking Rivendell. None of that "TRAVEL NOW" "TRAVEL LATER" stuff. I hoofed it to the stable only to find that none of the destinations worked without buying stuff from the store.

My character is now standing at the Rivendell freeway onramp holding his thumb out to try and hitch a ride home.

PELENNOR VET
EVERY SHILLING HELPS
ERU BLESS
I'm going to start with the insultingly obvious question: Have you tried using your milestone skill?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ArchWizard posted:

I'm going to start with the insultingly obvious question: Have you tried using your milestone skill?

It was on cooldown since I'd been running around checking out the anniversary quests. When I get home after work I'll port him back to Bree and switch to an alt to continue banging my head against the wall with the festival. :cool:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

PELENNOR VET
EVERY SHILLING HELPS
ERU BLESS

A lot of people use that as a free port to Rivendell, so keep that in mind if you ever need to go there again.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dick Trauma posted:

PELENNOR VET
EVERY SHILLING HELPS
ERU BLESS

lol

Some helpful person made a lazy person's guide to the festival if you just want rewards and don't have a lot of time:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7715362

Also I'm surprised the dragon kites are just ten minute barters you can earn from doing a few Thorin's Hall brawls, looks like the really big housing items and cool stuff comes from the nostalgia errand quests. Wonder if we have room on the other side of the island for some giant magical rocks and poo poo.

I don't know if you absolutely have to be 100 to do some of the quests or if you guys are just worried about dying to high level mobs, so we could definitely arrange a night where we group run them to help out the lower levels if it's the latter.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

I don't know if you absolutely have to be 100 to do some of the quests or if you guys are just worried about dying to high level mobs, so we could definitely arrange a night where we group run them to help out the lower levels if it's the latter.

Well, they involve killing things in a 100 zone I've never been to, but it doesn't say they must be done solo so it's worth a shot.