Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Wait, in Carnival Magic, why did Jonah get replaced with someone else at the end for one frame?

Replaced for 1/24th a second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Replaced for 1/24th a second?

Alright, it was longer than that.

But he was replaced by a guy in a red jumpsuit.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Season 8 theme for me. Was introduced to it by a friend when it moved to Sci-Fi and became hooked. Taped many of them and watched them constantly. The wait until 4 PM each Saturday was rough.

I do love the horns in the new intro as well as the yelling of "I SHOULD REALLY JUST RELAX!" Also digging the cold opens: Having Jonah sucked up during the birthday celebration, and Crow saying "Is that what you wished for?" was GOLD

I'm so glad this is back because the world and current events just kinda melt away and I'm in a happy place.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Ah. I didn't see it.
Maybe it was Steve Albini.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ah. I didn't see it.
Maybe it was Steve Albini.

No, too young. I'll load it up on my computer and take a screenshot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Covok posted:

It was purpl- I MEAN YOU SAW NOTHING! :stare:

Covok
May 27, 2013

This was the guy.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

This was the guy.

Ha. I have no idea who that is. Maybe some kickstart backer?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like my idea that it's for Teatro de la Ciencia Misteriosa 3000, Kinga's new Spanish language experiment for the Latin American market.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

I like my idea that it's for Teatro de la Ciencia Misteriosa 3000, Kinga's new Spanish language experiment for the Latin American market.

This isn't a bad idea.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNH4dafgFZY

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Even Rifftrax couldn't save the second Bay Transformers when I tried to watch it, that was an utterly miserable slog to sit through.

I was going to post pretty much this exact thing. I got the Transformers 2 riff as soon as it was available and I still haven't managed to watch the whole thing because the movie is just that awful.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the warning there fellows. Despite being a fan of both as a kid, nothing about the Transformers movies or the recent Ninja Turtle movie looked like anything I wanted a part of.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 20, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ha. I have no idea who that is. Maybe some kickstart backer?

According to imgur, it's Steven Strait from The Expanse. Probably just a cameo. Though, considering the season's end, it does raise questions.

Edit: He could be wrong, though.

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 20, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do Joel and Mike still hate each other or whatever happened?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Do Joel and Mike still hate each other or whatever happened?

It seems like at this point they both hate Jim Mallon and don't really care one way or the other about each other (?)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How is Starcrash this bad? :psyduck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ja2ke posted:

It seems like at this point they both hate Jim Mallon and don't really care one way or the other about each other (?)

Yeah, my understanding is that almost all the tension in the old show was due to Mallon. I'm not saying they're best buds, but they seem amicable in the way of former co-workers and colleagues.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact Mike didn't have a cameo. They did the filming for the whole season in two weeks and it probably came down to a scheduling thing. I've heard there were other celeb cameos offered but scheduling got in the way.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://twitter.com/lowtax/status/854886224368107521
Who pooped in his fun hat?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lowtax is well known for not being a funhaver.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
How dare they.... Gaming references from the past decade that a lot of people have a passing familiarity of... those sellouts...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I like my references unrecognizable -Lowtaz

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He realizes that there were contemporary game jokes DURING the original show right?

Like, there was at the least the skit with Frank and the Mario syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQioUdumc8&t=62s

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
"How dare Felicia Day write video game jokes. I'll stick to Rifftrax and 20 year old references to Parappa the Rapper, thank you."

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

the really brief Doc Forrester: "Did I tell you my mother's here" was always the funniest drat thing to me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure I caught bits of episodes during the CC era on Short Attention Span Theater, but I didn't see a full episode until The Movie since my uncle had it on tape.

After that, I caught a rerun of Invasion of the Neptune Men on Sci-Fi, then watched the premiere of Hobgoblins the next week. Hooked. I taped every Sci-Fi episode except for The Undead (including Gorgo!) and watched it pretty much any time it came on. Even stayed up late to watch Diabolik. After that, I got most of the single Rhino DVDs (missed Red Zone Cuba) and Volume 1. Kind of went dormant in college until Shout! Factory started releasing sets and I got into it again.

I probably watched my Eegah DVD a hundred times. That's probably my favorite Joel episode because there's not one bad moment in the riffs or the host segments. I think the best riff in that episode is Crow during the opening credits...

WELCOME TO THE CRYPT! WE'VE *DUG* SOMETHING UP FOR YOU! WHY DON'T YOU STAY AND WATCH *DREAM ON* - IT'S THE *BREAST* SHOW ON TELEVISION! (kill me)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I didn't have the sharpest memory of MST3K from when I was a kid. Pretty much the only things that stuck out in my mind were the silhouettes in the theater and the opening theme song, the one that involved Joel and how he couldn't control the movie because he used the parts to build his robot buddies.

Looking at that flowchart and from watching some of the episodes on Netflix, there was a season or so where Pearl chased Mike around the universe in her ship? Not that the plot matters, but how did that work? She just beamed bad movies at him and he continued to watch them even though he was running from her?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Burkion posted:

He realizes that there were contemporary game jokes DURING the original show right?

Like, there was at the least the skit with Frank and the Mario syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQioUdumc8&t=62s

"Doctor Darrin, and Doctor Super Mario Brother," "I left Yoshi parked on B-level," "Doctor Luigi will be assisting." (Parts: The Clonus Horror)

"Yeah, and then we'll ride Yoshi to the Mushroom Kingdom." (The Beatniks)

"This movie is like playing Doom with no monsters or opponents!" (Escape 2000)

"Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!" (Devil Fish)

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there were more. I think I got the episodes right.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't have the sharpest memory of MST3K from when I was a kid. Pretty much the only things that stuck out in my mind were the silhouettes in the theater and the opening theme song, the one that involved Joel and how he couldn't control the movie because he used the parts to build his robot buddies.

Looking at that flowchart and from watching some of the episodes on Netflix, there was a season or so where Pearl chased Mike around the universe in her ship? Not that the plot matters, but how did that work? She just beamed bad movies at him and he continued to watch them even though he was running from her?

Yeah, pretty much. And then when Brain Guy joined up with Pearl, he used his super psychic brain powers to project the movies to them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

You should really just relax.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pearl chasing Mike gave us one of my favorite scenes from almost any tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39LUntlEX0&t=127s

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Mike is (or was, at least) really into video games. One of the events at the second MST3K convention was him riffing as he slaughtered fans in Doom deathmatch. It was excellent.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Time Travelers is another one of those wonderful cases where they sum up all the movie's problems in a single riff—I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like, "At what point did this stop being a movie and start being a promotional video for technology that doesn't exist?" The android-building scene might be my favorite bit I've seen from the new cast so far. But when the film gave them another long dialogue-free space to fill (the music scene), I still felt like they could have cut 1/3 of the jokes and ended up with a better result. Sometimes it feels like they're not letting the audience appreciate the inherent ridiculousness of a scene.

I'm not finished with Avalanche yet, but so far this episode feels the most like classic MST3K in some intangible way—maybe it's just that the jokes aren't coming quite as fast, and there's more of a more relaxed feel. Also I was kinda feeling like Felicia Day as Kinga was my favorite of the new cast before now, and "Our Love is on Wings You Can't See" just confirmed it. I love when MST3K does characterization through song, and this felt like her "Living in Deep 13."

I'm still waiting for a sketch where Tom or Crow is the focus and am kinda concerned that there hasn't been one yet.

Also Steve Franken (Danny in Time Travelers, Henry in Avalanche) is giving me a severe case of "he looks so familiar, but IMDB confirms I haven't seen him in anything else, so who is he reminding me of" syndrome.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 20, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bakersfield chimp posted:

Mike is (or was, at least) really into video games. One of the events at the second MST3K convention was him riffing as he slaughtered fans in Doom deathmatch. It was excellent.

In one of the published episode guides I have a vague recollection of Mike mentioning that they bought a computer for the office and used it solely to play Doom. I should see if I still have that book lying around, it was hysterical.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
He kinda reminds me of the pilot from San Francisco International, but his face is neither as large or as troublesome. Still kinda got that same creepy quality though.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 20, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing people seem to forget some how

MST3K could tell the goddamn future. It knew what the internet would be. Pointless arguments, OS bitching, Memes, Rick Rolls and video game humor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Plus Wikipedia

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
They predicted government shutdowns, Trump...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

He kinda reminds me of the pilot from San Francisco International, but his face is neither as large or as troublesome. Still kinda got that same creepy quality though.

I haven't seen that episode yet, so that's not it. It might just be that he has a little bit of a Tim Curry look to him.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

I'm also prone to randomly interrupting the song in my head with the "JOKES! PROFESSIONAL JOKES!" from the Rifftrax song.

This is legit one of my favorite all time jokes I think and I don't even know why.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pearl chasing Mike gave us one of my favorite scenes from almost any tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39LUntlEX0&t=127s

Ah yes, I love it when Crow gets called Art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"The Chilean miners are saved!"