Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

nate fisher posted:

Adam Sandler was ok on SNL, but I found everyone of his movies painful. The only one I liked that he starred in was Punch Drunk Love, but it was Paul Thomas Anderson that made that movie good.

Also other good sports movies The Natural, Blue Chips, The Wrestler, and The Bad News Bears (the original).

Edit: Favorite sports movie that is really not that great but I still like it, Major League.

How can anyone talk about their favorite spots movies without mentioning Foxcatcher? That was such a good movie, if deeply hosed up on a number of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

DeathSandwich posted:

How can anyone talk about their favorite spots movies without mentioning Foxcatcher? That was such a good movie, if deeply hosed up on a number of levels.

If you mention liking Foxcatcher too much Joe Rogan may appear in a cloud of weed vapor and begin lecturing you about the historical inaccuracies before losing his train of thought and talking for ten minutes about his favorite megafauna, so pretty much everyone on the internet learned to stop talking about it.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 19, 2017

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

One rambling aside about the Luxembourgian Death Ox is enough to make any man change his mind about movies.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Re: Sandlerchat, Count me as one of the folks who thought Billy Madison was hilarious when I was 12, and tried rewatching it recently only to find it embarrassingly bad.

The only early Sandler comedy I can enjoy anymore is The Waterboy, and that's only with a good dose of booze.

Not Sandlerchat: I tried watching Oasis on Amazon after I read some favorable stuff here. It fell pretty flat, and totally hamfisted with nonsense science. Although, to be fair I fell asleep about 2/3 of the way through. My wife told me it didn't get any better in the last 1/3.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Give Adam Sandler a charity drive and he will truly become the Jerry Lewis of his generation.

One thing I noticed when I watched Pixels, is that it probably would have been a pretty decent movie had it not been written for Sandler to do his shtick. But at the same time, judging by his performance in that movie, he seems pretty tired of his shtick as well. I kind of wonder if someone could convince him to lose his friends, drop his persona, and make a more straightforward comedy, if he couldn't reinvent his career.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The Most Dangerous Game, Best sport movie

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My favorite Adam Sandler movie is the one with a scene where he talks in like a baby voice, and another scene where he gets really super mad and yells.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Junkie Disease posted:

The Most Dangerous Game, Best sport movie

You meant Surviving the Game with Ice-T or the John Woo collaboration with Van Damme Hard Target.

How many times has that story been made into a movie (looks like 9 times according to Wiki)?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 20, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

nate fisher posted:

You meant Surviving the Game with Ice-T or the John Woo collaboration with Van Damme Hard Target.

How many times has that story been made into a movie (looks like 9 times according to Wiki)?

That's impossible, way too low

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

The Ice T one was a historic moment in childhood grandparents house pay per view ordering for me. The room full of faces freaked me out.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Junkie Disease posted:

That's impossible, way too low

It's kind of a genre now. Basically uncountable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mac & Dennis: Manhunters should definitey count

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Just watched The Void, equal parts Carpenter and Lovecraft, can't recommend it enough.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Tommy_Udo posted:

Just watched The Void, equal parts Carpenter and Lovecraft, can't recommend it enough.

Where?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wait is this not general movie chat?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
"It's not on streaming, but" is a classic streaming thread catchphrase.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Amazon Video has it, that's where I saw it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Amazon Video has it, that's where I saw it.

Yeah, where you have to pay to rent it. Thanks heaps.

Hey yall, Kong Skull Island is really good. You can stream it at your local theater.

Just finished the latest season of Longmire. The "who shot him?" mystery reveal was pretty weak, but it's still an enjoyable enough murder of the week show.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 21, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with my answer of where to stream the movie, on a streaming service, in the streaming thread.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with my answer of where to stream the movie, on a streaming service, in the streaming thread.

A thread about finding good things to watch on subscription based streaming services is totally the right place for your one time paid rental reviews.

Any redbox recommendations you want to throw in there?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

As it happens, it's also available on Amazon Prime.

e: No, wait, that's one of the other The Voids.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As it happens, it's also available on Amazon Prime.

It's really not, I've been wanting to see it for awhile, and I checked after your original post.

What is available is an unrelated anthology series that came out in 2016 by the same name.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's really not, I've been wanting to see it for awhile, and I checked after your original post.

What is available is an unrelated anthology series that came out in 2016 by the same name.

You should watch that, come back, and tell us if it's any good. :)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
To be fair, The Void is a really cool movie that you should check out if you can. It's like assault on precinct 13 mixed with lovecraftian horrors which is a pretty sweet mix. Not as good as the 80's horror flicks it seems to be paying homage to, but still pretty solid. I'll probably get the blu ray so I can instantly stream it from my blu ray player to my television.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo that Bill Nye show is terrible.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
NOOOOOOOOO!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yo calm down, it's okay. It's totally easy to understand that someone might want to come to this thread to talk about something they streamed and paid for if there's no other immediate place to post about it. Just wants to talk about a movie he streamed.

I think this is fine every now and then as a discussion, it just shouldn't be a main topic. This thread is very tangential and I think that's one of the best parts of it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I've never watched "Girls" but from two episodes "Girlboss" is basically the show I imagine when I hear people who really hate Girls talk about it.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 22, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Yo calm down, it's okay. It's totally easy to understand that someone might want to come to this thread to talk about something they streamed and paid for if there's no other immediate place to post about it. Just wants to talk about a movie he streamed.

I think this is fine every now and then as a discussion, it just shouldn't be a main topic. This thread is very tangential and I think that's one of the best parts of it.

Can I talk about a play I saw at my towns community center

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

drunken officeparty posted:

Can I talk about a play I saw at my towns community center

Do you have a vimeo link of a recording?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Do you have a vimeo link of a recording?

I recorded it on my phone and uploaded it in 16 parts to newgrounds

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
The Eyes of My Mother was an amazing, beautifully shot movie and I'm never going to watch it again.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah, where you have to pay to rent it. Thanks heaps.

Hey yall, Kong Skull Island is really good. You can stream it at your local theater.

Just finished the latest season of Longmire. The "who shot him?" mystery reveal was pretty weak, but it's still an enjoyable enough murder of the week show.

Holy poo poo, didn't know that a one time price to STREAM something was a deal breaker. Both Netflix and Hulu's film libraries blow, I recommend adding Netflix by mail so you can have more of a selection; though getting out of your mom's basement and into the theater may be a good idea.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The theaters get so much of my money. I like to get really stoned and go see movies by myself with a huge popcorn and diet coke. I live super close to New Beverly Cinemas who show 35mm classics nightly. Tonight is I think tarantinos personal copy of Hateful Eight. They have White Castle in concessions there too

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

THe original Mortal Kombat is up on US Netflix :toot:

(The sequel, Annihilation, had been on there for a while already for w/e reason)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've never watched "Girls" but from two episodes "Girlboss" is basically the show I imagine when I hear people who really hate Girls talk about it.

I could not think of a better way to describe it. It's like Girls except it seems to have zero self awareness and pretty much all of the comedy is so bad it makes me wince. And this is coming from someone who has watched and liked a couple of seasons of Girls.

It's like, so bad that I kind of want to keep watching what a train wreck it is, but I had to quit after 2 episodes.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

The theaters get so much of my money. I like to get really stoned and go see movies by myself with a huge popcorn and diet coke. I live super close to New Beverly Cinemas who show 35mm classics nightly. Tonight is I think tarantinos personal copy of Hateful Eight. They have White Castle in concessions there too

Oh hey Patton Oswalt ;)

(One of his books talks a ton about the New Beverly and it's a pretty good film geek book)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tommy_Udo posted:

though getting out of your mom's basement and into the theater may be a good idea.

Anyone got any cream for that sick burn I just received?

You're right, their film libraries suck. It almost seems like a thread is needed where you can find hidden gems on those platforms.

Since that's not this one, I present to you all, Amerigeddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX55033g5wo

Produced by Chuck Norris and Son, so if you found God's Not Dead as hilarious as I did, this one is a winner.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You should watch that, come back, and tell us if it's any good. :)

I took your suggestion. It was just this side of youtube student films. Do not recommend.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 23, 2017

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone got any cream for that sick burn I just received?

You're right, their film libraries suck. It almost seems like a thread is needed where you can find hidden gems on those platforms.

Since that's not this one, I present to you all, Amerigeddon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX55033g5wo

Produced by Chuck Norris and Son, so if you found God's Not Dead as hilarious as I did, this one is a winner.

I took your suggestion. It was just this side of youtube student films. Do not recommend.

Well, I do recommend The Void whenever it gets on there. Guess it's a waiting game at this point. Though Hulu just signed a deal with Neon films, so if you have Hulu, you should be able to stream Colossal and The Bad Batch soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm of the opinion that when a conversation naturally digresses from a movie available to stream to one that isn't available it's fine and usually winds up being a pretty interesting discussion, but I do agree that the starting point of that discussion probably shouldn't be something that isn't on streaming.

Mover posted:

THe original Mortal Kombat is up on US Netflix :toot:

(The sequel, Annihilation, had been on there for a while already for w/e reason)

Oh hell yeah dude, best video game movie ever made by a long shot and it's always nice when it comes back around to Netflix.