Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

There's no community left.

People don't know their neighbors and don't expect to spend a lifetime around them. Until her death, my grandmother wrote 2 cards a week to each her old neighbors. Piles and piles of letters, and she received just as many. Those were strong, lifelong bonds.

friends and religion are just a crutch. me i face up with a flinty stare to the harsh realities of the world, forming my boundless internal energies with titanic acts of pure will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Orkin Mang posted:

friends and religion are just a crutch. me i face up with a flinty stare to the harsh realities of the world, forming my boundless internal energies with titanic acts of pure will

lol this post owns

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

There's no community left.

People don't know their neighbors and don't expect to spend a lifetime around them. Until her death, my grandmother wrote 2 cards a week to each her old neighbors. Piles and piles of letters, and she received just as many. Those were strong, lifelong bonds.

I think there are communities but they aren't so obvious. Yeah you're not so friendly with your neighbors anymore but at the same time we have relationships with other people online and form communities elsewhere.

I know you're about to say "but that's virtual and doesn't replace face to face stuff" which may be true to an extent but I would say the relationship with the neighbor has always been pretty drat shallow on average (except the outlier "as seen on TV" friendly relationships) to begin with so I'm not really losing out on anything. I get plenty of face time with my family and friends anyway.

Also part of what you're saying is just the rural/urban divide and it isn't anything new. People have been making that same complaint for decades and it's usually just down to people in more densely populated areas are too drat busy running the rat race to sit back and chill out on the patio with the neighbors like what happens in more rural areas.

And now my fingers hurt so good night, comrades.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah but your neighbor probably had some different views, some of them did anyway, and you had to learn to deal with that poo poo and it was fine. Now if your internet friend has a different point of view on whether hermione should have married ron or harry, you can tell them to get hosed and go get some new friends who know she should have married luna

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

COMRADES posted:

I think there are communities but they aren't so obvious. Yeah you're not so friendly with your neighbors anymore but at the same time we have relationships with other people online and form communities elsewhere.

I know you're about to say "but that's virtual and doesn't replace face to face stuff" which may be true to an extent but I would say the relationship with the neighbor has always been pretty drat shallow on average (except the outlier "as seen on TV" friendly relationships) to begin with so I'm not really losing out on anything. I get plenty of face time with my family and friends anyway.

Also part of what you're saying is just the rural/urban divide and it isn't anything new. People have been making that same complaint for decades and it's usually just down to people in more densely populated areas are too drat busy running the rat race to sit back and chill out on the patio with the neighbors like what happens in more rural areas.

And now my fingers hurt so good night, comrades.

no people really did used to know their neighbors especially their neighbors wives

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I don't really understand why people agonize over that concept. If you wanna be chill with your neighbors, go for it. I just don't see much point in lamenting the fact that other people maybe don't want to be buddies with their neighbors. Personally I say hey and chitchat with neighbors sometimes, and wave to em' on the road in and out and poo poo, but I'd rather hang out with my family or a friend or head down to the bar than spend an appreciable about of time with them. I'd still look out for them and their property though if somebody was being a piece of poo poo and call the cops for them etc.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wherever I've lived I've been friends with my neighbors because I'm not a piece of poo poo like you assholes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

COMRADES posted:

Because they realize it doesn't actually help them except as a crutch and it's all fake anyway because if there is a god no humans on Earth understand who or what it is.

Also because church used to be the cornerstone of the community but nowadays that function has been largely replaced by numerous other things so there's no real impetus to go if you are a non-believer, whereas they used to anyway for the societal/community aspect (and to not be ostracized).

Actually the function hasn't been fully replaced by anything at all. There's just less community period. The closest things are gross empty mockeries of community like a community of being obsessed with Harry Potter or whatever.

Old-fashioned communal groups like blue collar bowling leagues and fraternal orders were once a real part of everyday life, though now they're mostly just a weird historical artifact encountered in cartoons.

And the average American is forced to move every 4ish years for work. So they lose touch with their neighbors and family, and are too overworked to make new connections. They become atomized people. The rise of the national brands dovetails with the increasing mobility of American workers, since they are thrown into mew areas without much local knowledge.

Obviously this is all disastrous for political organization and action.

This is how you end up with alienated miserable people who eventually snap and start shooting people.

Imo it's also why immigrants tend to outperform native-boen American - having an identity and community helps them succeed and be less miserable. It sucks being a minority sometimes and having to put up with being second-class, but at the same time I'm glad I wasn't born white.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Actually the function hasn't been fully replaced by anything at all. There's just less community period. The closest things are gross empty mockeries of community like a community of being obsessed with Harry Potter or whatever.

Old-fashioned communal groups like blue collar bowling leagues and fraternal orders were once a real part of everyday life, though now they're mostly just a weird historical artifact encountered in cartoons.

And the average American is forced to move every 4ish years for work. So they lose touch with their neighbors and family, and are too overworked to make new connections. They become atomized people. The rise of the national brands dovetails with the increasing mobility of American workers, since they are thrown into mew areas without much local knowledge.

This is how you end up with alienated miserable people who eventually snap and start shooting people.

Imo it's also why immigrants tend to outperform native-boen American - having an identity and community helps them succeed and be less miserable

what should we do?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Imo it's also why immigrants tend to outperform native-boen American - having an identity and community helps them succeed and be less miserable

*swoops in with emeter*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wherever I've lived I've been friends with my neighbors because I'm not a piece of poo poo like you assholes.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Orkin Mang posted:

*swoops in with emeter*

Motherfucker don't you lay a single can on my thetans, I won these fair and square via single combat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only reason I hang out on this stupid site is the continuity of it, when I have to move all the loving time for career and education poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what should we do?

No idea, I was born into my community and have few real alternatives where I won't have to give up a lot of stuff because I am physically different.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

No idea, I was born into my community and have few real alternatives where I won't have to give up a lot of stuff because I am physically different.

very tall? obese? clinically ugly in the face? or is it a stink u have

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i have no real obstacles other than a complete and utter lack of imagination.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They're actually doing it. Holy cow it's happening.

Hillary2020

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Orkin Mang posted:

very tall? obese? clinically ugly in the face? or is it a stink u have

I mean i don't pass as white

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

spacetoaster posted:

Hillary2020

This guy actually rickrolls people in 2017.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

The only reason I hang out on this stupid site is the continuity of it, when I have to move all the loving time for career and education poo poo.

Yeah. Me too. :smuggo:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This is how you end up with alienated miserable people

:capitalism:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Honky Dong Country posted:

This guy actually rickrolls people in 2017.

Well poo poo.

I mean, nobody is talking about the dumb book anymore.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

you know what? I got a chuckle out of it. grumpy guses.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

spacetoaster posted:

Well poo poo.

I mean, nobody is talking about the dumb book anymore.

I'm eager for any more juicy snippets from our would-be lizard queen

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yeah, I was hoping there were more dudes out there reading this.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i admit, im too young to judge bill on his sins. but I sure the hell judged kerry and mccain.

godamn. Think about the last 20 loving years.

Bernie would have won.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

spacetoaster posted:

Hillary2020

yeah but it's probably gonna happen and i'm going to die laughing, so make your jokes and fly away troll, fly fly fly :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Hillary's original speech from election night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQWYU2B7x8

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
What i would give for video of her back in her war room that night

I bet would replace that Downfall clip for meme edits

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Hillary's original speech from election night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppQWYU2B7x8

Nah, too honest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, people have become very political about... everything. Thoughts, facts, feelings are all forced into political contexts.

Additionally, sometimes these politicized facts are ignored or misapplied intentionally. For example, babies are racist. They react preferentially to members of their own race. Sociology studies show that the less diversity there is in a community, the higher people will rate their level of "trust" in their neighbors and in their community as a whole. Assuming that these studies were done properly, these are not racist facts, they are facts with racial implications. We need to move forward from there. Why are babies racist? Why do people have less "trust" in diverse communities? How can this be addressed? How do we take these facts, and our values, and come to the best possible solution for everyone? How do we make people less racist?

I don't even know what a super racist person is supposed to do if they decide they don't want to be a racist any more. Google "how to stop being a racist"? There aren't a lot of dialogues. People don't know how to be the better version of themselves if they wanted to. And heck, if you want to chill with a black person to learn they're totally normal people, where do you go? Where can you do this that it isn't weird and patronizing? How do we help people become their better selves?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pick posted:

Additionally, sometimes these politicized facts are ignored or misapplied intentionally. For example, babies are racist. They react preferentially to members of their own race. Sociology studies show that the less diversity there is in a community, the higher people will rate their level of "trust" in their neighbors and in their community as a whole. Assuming that these studies were done properly, these are not racist facts, they are facts with racial implications. We need to move forward from there. Why are babies racist? Why do people have less "trust" in diverse communities? How can this be addressed? How do we take these facts, and our values, and come to the best possible solution for everyone? How do we make people less racist?

Yeah or they just react preferentially to people who look the most like their own parents. No big mystery there.

Anyway people have always been whackos.

quote:

VIII.2 (in the basilica); Let everyone one in love come and see. I want to break Venus’ ribs with clubs and cripple the goddess’ loins. If she can strike through my soft chest, then why can’t I smash her head with a club?

Might as well be on /r/mgtow

quote:

(House of the Centenary; in the latrine near the front door): “Secundus defecated here” three times on one wall.

Shitpostin

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 20, 2017

Dog Jones
Nov 4, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Also, people have become very political about... everything. Thoughts, facts, feelings are all forced into political contexts.

I don't even know what a super racist person is supposed to do if they decide they don't want to be a racist any more. Google "how to stop being a racist"? There aren't a lot of dialogues. People don't know how to be the better version of themselves if they wanted to. And heck, if you want to chill with a black person to learn they're totally normal people, where do you go? Where can you do this that it isn't weird and patronizing? How do we help people become their better selves?

ZZRRRREEEOOOWWWWWWWWW BLLLLLLLAADDKKOOOOOOOOOW!!!!! tomahawk cruise missile turbo fan engine screams across the sky, and i am spitting all ove rthe screen and gesturing wildly, a masssive explosion destroys this loving post and shakes even the most fortified and well buitl structures to their core within a 5 mie radius

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
writes "make babies more tolerant" on whiteboard, circles it

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

CassandraZara posted:

sorely needed, a baby gave me a weird look the other day and i was like, umm judgmental much?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CassandraZara posted:

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

CassandraZara posted:

I can't wait to hear what the side-effects of dosing your baby with Acceptonal™ will be after a cartoon bee tries to sell you on talking to your pediatrician about it in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Baby racism gave us trump. Just the other day I saw a baby just immediately start barking at a black man it was really hosed up.

• Locked thread