Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Wouldn't I be required to sign a new document?

I don't think I'm going to test it out, but it seems to me like I should have had to sign a new non-compete.

I believe you and any of your documentation would be rolled in under assets, unless you filled out new tax information stuff when the old company got bought out. If you didnt fill out the sheets you normally fill out when you get hired in somewhere then you probably have a valid non-compete with your current company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

I'm trying to decide which is more important to do in my '97 N/A Volvo 850: new tires or the timing belt.

The tires date to about '09. Plenty of tread but they're hard as a rock. Not a whole lot of rot though. Fronts are feathered at the edges.

Timing belt dates to about October of 2010. Only 26k miles on the car since then, though.

I only drive the car about a couple thousand miles a year and its main purpose is as a winter beater.
Replace the timing belt so you have confidence in really revving it, do a massive burnout to kill the tyres, then replace them too.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Here it's the Jehova's, and what annoys me about them is they don't give up, if they know you're home and ignoring them they will pound on the door until you tell them to gently caress off.
I have them and the Mormons occasionally. I find I get on fine with them just explaining what I believe, and they tend not to come back. That's not code for being a dick or loving with them or anything, they just don't want to deal with someone who's already pretty assured/happy with that side of things.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I'd imagine the tensioner and pulleys should be in good shape, right? $15 for a timing belt vs $240ish for a kit with everything. The tensioner and pulleys all have 26k miles on them.

I think the idler is vey cheap, and the tensioner is a hydraulic piston. You have to compress it slowly in a vise and put a pin in it, and you won't know if it's good or bad until fully compressed. That's when it would start leaking. (Edit: mine did, of course)

Also the head on your car is a bitch bastard that requires buying or making special tools to reassemble. Between that and the 20 valves to gently caress up, just buy a used jy motor if the belt pops.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

If you are doing it yourself, check and see if the bearings are removable from the idlers. Back in the day the bearings were easily removable with a snap ring, but often now the pulleys themselves are now pressed in OR actually cast around the bearings so they are not removable. If it looks like it can be pressed out, throw it in your vice with a socket that fits the outer race of the bearing and see if you can remove it. If you can, there is a VERY good chance it's a standard, run of the mill, <$10 bearing that you can get at a local bearing shop.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

InitialDave posted:

I have them and the Mormons occasionally. I find I get on fine with them just explaining what I believe, and they tend not to come back. That's not code for being a dick or loving with them or anything, they just don't want to deal with someone who's already pretty assured/happy with that side of things.

So I already know I'm going to hell, but the Mormon guys are usually awkwardly cute. Not that I could seduce one :laffo:

I can't say that about any of the JWs that have visited.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I've tried that route and it didn't work, so being a dick it is I guess.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CornHolio posted:

Kind of relevant. As discussed, I had an offer from a competitor recently. Today I got copies of all the documents I signed when I started back in 2012, which includes a non-compete.

What does the non-compete actually say? At your level I would think it was something that prevented you from working for a competitor at the same time as you worked for the company you signed the agreement with.

I can't imagine that a lower-level employee would be held to something stupid like a 1-year from termination sort of agreement.

Even if it is a valid non-compete, I think (note that I'm not a lawyer) that in order to actually go after you for taking a job with a new company, they would have to somehow prove that your employment at the new company was somehow harming them based on you sharing proprietary company information at your new job.

Computer janitor work isn't something that is going to harm the old company so I would think enforcing a non-compete to keep you from getting employment would be fairly sticky for them legally.

I might be completely confusing what you actually do though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I think you're getting him confused with me - IIRC he's an engineer of some kind.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If the Jehovah's show up at your door, turn their weirdass cult practices against them and tell them that you were disfellowshipped from the church years ago.

I did that, and you should have seen the looks on their faces - it was as though I had literally turned into the devil himself before their very eyes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

I think you're getting him confused with me - IIRC he's an engineer of some kind.

Yeah, I'm an engineer that has an intricate knowledge of our product and manufacturing process. There is one other company that makes the product we do, and that's where I had the offer from. Then again, they kick our rear end handily because we outsource almost all components while they make them all internally, so their product is cheaper. And so they sell 4x as much.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MrChips posted:

If the Jehovah's show up at your door, turn their weirdass cult practices against them and tell them that you were disfellowshipped from the church years ago.

I did that, and you should have seen the looks on their faces - it was as though I had literally turned into the devil himself before their very eyes.

oh man i wanna try this out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrChips posted:

OMG, that way better than the hail satan method.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, I'm an engineer that has an intricate knowledge of our product and manufacturing process. There is one other company that makes the product we do, and that's where I had the offer from. Then again, they kick our rear end handily because we outsource almost all components while they make them all internally, so their product is cheaper. And so they sell 4x as much.

Yea, in that case please ignore everything in my previous post and go talk to a lawyer. :v:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is awesome. Living in suburbia in Utah we get an absolute shizton of door to door sales. The most egregious is the solar panel sales. It is out of hand between phone calls and door knocks i am losing my mind. A friend from high school made this sticker, which I purchased:

https://www.stickermule.com/marketplace/17763-no-solariciting-sticker-keep-the-pesky-solar-salesman-away

Can't you guys just put up a sign asking for no door to door salesmen or hawkers? You can in Australia and they have to follow it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Goober Peas posted:

So I already know I'm going to hell, but the Mormon guys are usually awkwardly cute. Not that I could seduce one :laffo:

:wink:
:wmwink:
I've posted before but I was a full time missionary from 2004-2006, I thought I've uploaded photos to my Imgur but I guess not. I'd like to think I was looked at as awkwardly cute while I was in Australia. Not that any of that mattered at the time, I was pretty focused on my purpose there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So was in Hobby Lobby with the wife the other day (holy poo poo did plastic models get expensive!) and spotted this:

and decided I could part with $15 for it.

Had some time to myself this afternoon (what with no job to do), and spent a few hours putting it together. My lighted, arm-mounted magnifier came in really handy.

Now I have this:

It feels a bit fragile while assembling, since it's just thing shim stock, photoetched, but it's well designed, and sturdy when it's done. It's all tab and slot construction.

They've got other models as well.
http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth

edit: Oh, man, they have bigger, more detailed ones, too! http://www.fascinations.com/iconx
Specifically: http://www.fascinations.com/iconx/iconx-millennium-falcon (about twice as big.)

edit 2: poo poo. Now I want the Doctor Who stuff, the Apollo lander, Lunar Rover, Mars rover, possibly the SR-71, maybe Neuschwanstein Castle...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Darchangel posted:

So was in Hobby Lobby with the wife the other day (holy poo poo did plastic models get expensive!) and spotted this:

Now I have this:

They've got other models as well.
http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth

edit: Oh, man, they have bigger, more detailed ones, too! http://www.fascinations.com/iconx
Specifically: http://www.fascinations.com/iconx/iconx-millennium-falcon (about twice as big.)

edit 2: poo poo. Now I want the Doctor Who stuff, the Apollo lander, Lunar Rover, Mars rover, possibly the SR-71, maybe Neuschwanstein Castle...

You seem to have lost my way my friend. You should go to this thread of enlightenment to find your true path.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Buy from AliExpress for a dollar instead. It takes about 2-4 weeks to arrive, but alipay is the largest payment processor in the world, and I've never been scammed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Also, if you're shopping at HL and not using the 40% Off One Item coupon, you're doing it wrong.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

Haven't done it on a win10 system but for future reference you should be able to delete the registry entry for your profile (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList) which allows you to create a new one with the same name but leaves the previous profile's directory intact.

It was the only account on the system (aside from whatever hidden accounts exist by default). I guess I could have made a new account, then deleted the registry entry, then recreated the old account. :doh:

Meh, backups got tested, backups worked, just a bit of nail biting.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

It was the only account on the system (aside from whatever hidden accounts exist by default). I guess I could have made a new account, then deleted the registry entry, then recreated the old account. :doh:

Meh, backups got tested, backups worked, just a bit of nail biting.

Or boot from a recovery disc/partition/whatever, edit the registry, then boot back to your actual install. Plenty of ways to skin that particular cat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wouldn't spend a cent at hobby lobby under threat of death

gently caress that terrible company forever and ever

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BraveUlysses posted:

I wouldn't spend a cent at hobby lobby under threat of death

gently caress that terrible company forever and ever

This, same with Chik Fil A. The ony bit of power I have in this system is to choose where to spend my money. Costco for everything I possibly can for me, thanks.

Cross posting a bit but I've bought another tiny kei van although this one is pretty special.

1983 Daihatsu Hijet in excellent shape inside and out with 12,000 miles on it (20k kms). Paid 3800 for it and it will cost around another ~1500+ to get it to me in Florida but then I'm pretty confident that I can say I have the only 1983 Hijet in the United States. At least a yellow/beige one with such low miles. I should have it in about a month, month and a half but will have many more pictures before that time.

Using https://www.japancardirect.com/, working with Matt and Scott who are both Americans living in Japan that do exporting to the US. If you hit em up say that Devin sent you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

This, same with Chik Fil A. The ony bit of power I have in this system is to choose where to spend my money. Costco for everything I possibly can for me, thanks.

Cross posting a bit but I've bought another tiny kei van although this one is pretty special.

1983 Daihatsu Hijet in excellent shape inside and out with 12,000 miles on it (20k kms). Paid 3800 for it and it will cost around another ~1500+ to get it to me in Florida but then I'm pretty confident that I can say I have the only 1983 Hijet in the United States. At least a yellow/beige one with such low miles. I should have it in about a month, month and a half but will have many more pictures before that time.

Using https://www.japancardirect.com/, working with Matt and Scott who are both Americans living in Japan that do exporting to the US. If you hit em up say that Devin sent you.

I love everything about this car. You've outdone yourself.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love everything about this car. You've outdone yourself.

Outdone nothing there is some ultra-rad stuff that shows up on these auctions.

and that's just vans

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRONHIDE!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
starting to go through photos and video from ebisu and made some gifs

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

What an awesome find, I only really see ones close to the 25 year old limit, and they didn't really get EFI and the highest power engines until the late 90s, but loving A that thing is awesome. I've loved all of my Daihatsu cars, and the Daihatsu kei truck I almost bought was a total hoot to drive . California really needs to get the whole EPA exemption thing figured out, if I have to I'll pay into Cap & Trade or register it SB100 or something. I want a 323 GT-R damnit :mad:

edit: If you ever bring it out west you can drive my Rocky around

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 20, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yes Please

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

:quagmire::quagmire::quagmire:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What site are you using to search the auctions? I've been meaning to ask my friend who imports random cars, but keep forgetting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Every single one of those vans is horrifying to drive and you dont want to think about safety - either dynamic or crash - if you value yourself in any way. They were at best contemptuous of anyone dumb enough to drive one.

Now we are talking

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What interstate moving companies to goons like? I'm moving from Chicago to New York in a couple months, and I'd like to avoid parking a Penske truck in downtown Manhattan like I did when we moved to Chicago.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Every single one of those vans is horrifying to drive and you dont want to think about safety - either dynamic or crash - if you value yourself in any way. They were at best contemptuous of anyone dumb enough to drive one.

Now we are talking

I daily drive a 90 Acty and it owns what are you talking about

the spyder posted:

What site are you using to search the auctions? I've been meaning to ask my friend who imports random cars, but keep forgetting.

There are a few but just register with these guys and you have access to look at a big chunk of the auctions going on during any one day

https://www.japancardirect.com/how-to-buy/auction/

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 20, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Those Sooty vans are great. So's the AE86, it's always nice to see one that's not been hosed about with too much.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

DJ Commie posted:

What an awesome find, I only really see ones close to the 25 year old limit, and they didn't really get EFI and the highest power engines until the late 90s, but loving A that thing is awesome. I've loved all of my Daihatsu cars, and the Daihatsu kei truck I almost bought was a total hoot to drive . California really needs to get the whole EPA exemption thing figured out, if I have to I'll pay into Cap & Trade or register it SB100 or something. I want a 323 GT-R damnit :mad:

edit: If you ever bring it out west you can drive my Rocky around

Did the truck you were looking at look like this

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

get your grubby mitts off it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

You're going to have the most adorable garage in AI :3:

I really want one of the Kei pickup/utility trucks and the fiance even said go for it but I've held back for now. Thanks for another drat site to tempt me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I daily drive a 90 Acty and it owns what are you talking about

If you want to enjoy it, eh. But I aint walking back any part of my statement otherwise, I've driven a few different small Kei style vans / pickups that AI seem to adore and all I can say is that you have to be loving crazy, not a single one has any charm - or anything CLOSE to being anything other than a turd on wheels. Let alone if you get involved in a crash you are about as hosed as if you were hit while riding a bicycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want a pickup that can haut at least 1 (one) refrigerator, and can fit in the garage next to my VW bus while still having room on one side enough to walk around.

A Keith flatbed seems perfect for this. Not a DD, just a road-legal home depot cart.

I agree about the safety aspect, but I already dailied the bus :v:

• Locked thread