Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I must have skipped the final credits sequence and missed Jonah space walking on the S.O.L. on my first pass through.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pearl chasing Mike gave us one of my favorite scenes from almost any tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t39LUntlEX0&t=127s

I had forgotten that gem, thanks for this.

OK, we just finished watching Carnival Magic and I suspect it's one of the films that Joel mentioned were kind of a bear in that "Nine Things to Know About MST3K" article. For a minute, the end credits gave me Fun In Balloonland flashbacks. Yay yay!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This carnival movie is a loving nightmare

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This carnival movie is a loving nightmare

And yet, worth it for another great musical number that I need on my playlist asap.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I honestly think that's the biggest difference between this MST3k and previous generations. It almost feels more like a goofy musical at times. I suppose when you have that much vocal talent you're gonna use it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Is lowtax sad that they didn't invite him to work on this show in some capacity? :smith:

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

The "party scene" in Avalanche made me feel like a super annoyed designated driver even though I had 3 beers at that point.

Did that loving little 5 year old or so kid have a glass of chardonnay???

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Alohaaaa! :classiclol:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

"Doctor Darrin, and Doctor Super Mario Brother," "I left Yoshi parked on B-level," "Doctor Luigi will be assisting." (Parts: The Clonus Horror)

"Yeah, and then we'll ride Yoshi to the Mushroom Kingdom." (The Beatniks)

"This movie is like playing Doom with no monsters or opponents!" (Escape 2000)

"Kick, punch, it's all in the mind!" (Devil Fish)

That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there were more. I think I got the episodes right.

The old MST3K Info Club newsletter that Best Brains used to mail out during the Comedy Central era,had a column written by Mike complaining that Doom II was too similar to the original Doom to be considered a full-blown sequel. The most gamer-rear end gamer opinion, I love it.

Oops I somehow missed half a page talking more about Best Brains and Mike loving Doom and having a gaming PC in the office. Anyway pretty weird.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 20, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Corny Cornflake posted:

The "party scene" in Avalanche made me feel like a super annoyed designated driver even though I had 3 beers at that point.

Avalanche is just such a greasy movie. The 70s crispy vision doesn't help at all.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The opinion that Reptilicus is weak and the season picks up after episode 2 or 3 is likely just an acclimation issue more than anything. It's like spinning a new album for the first time and then warming up to it over repeated listens. I imagine the same would be said for any episode if it were the first.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ja2ke posted:

The old MST3K Info Club newsletter that Best Brains used to mail out during the Comedy Central era,had a column written by Mike complaining that Doom II was too similar to the original Doom to be considered a full-blown sequel. The most gamer-rear end gamer opinion, I love it.

Oops I somehow missed half a page talking more about Best Brains and Mike loving Doom and having a gaming PC in the office. Anyway pretty weird.

To add to the Doom stuff there was one episode where the satellite was going to be takeover by aliens and they used some Doom sound effects. I think it's the one where Tom gets a face hugger.

As far as Lowtax goes I think he's supposed to work on an upcoming Rifftrax.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

To add to the Doom stuff there was one episode where the satellite was going to be takeover by aliens and they used some Doom sound effects. I think it's the one where Tom gets a face hugger.

As far as Lowtax goes I think he's supposed to work on an upcoming Rifftrax.

I hope not. His work on Troll 2 was bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaspy Conana posted:

The opinion that Reptilicus is weak and the season picks up after episode 2 or 3 is likely just an acclimation issue more than anything. It's like spinning a new album for the first time and then warming up to it over repeated listens. I imagine the same would be said for any episode if it were the first.

Yeah, that's what I think. It's not actually more riff-filled or anything and they didn't film them in order. I'm positive it's just getting used to the new voices and the new look, and that on a rewatch, it probably would less overwhelming for people who didn't like it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Corny Cornflake posted:

Dude it was the 70s.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I found a way to watch :canada: Netflix on my account, so now I can finally see the new episodes without having to resort to... uh, circulating the tapes. I'm about 15 minutes into Avalanche, and in my opinion the titular avalanche can't hit these people soon enough.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Dude it was the 70s.

The party didn't ever stop
The City of Pompei was doing alright
Until Vesuvius blew her top!

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Emperor Titus came to power
So he finished up the coliseum oh woa

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doc Morbid posted:

I found a way to watch :canada: Netflix on my account, so now I can finally see the new episodes without having to resort to... uh, circulating the tapes. I'm about 15 minutes into Avalanche, and in my opinion the titular avalanche can't hit these people soon enough.

Don't worry, it actually won't.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Avalanche is a lot like The Poseidon Adventure, if The Poseidon Adventure had been mostly about the more annoying characters just sitting on a boat and partying, and the ship had sunk entirely in the last 20 minutes, because the captain got kind of drunk and just swerved into something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I think he's still salty from getting blown off by Trace Beaulieu so he's mad at all of them.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think he's still salty from getting blown off by Trace Beaulieu so he's mad at all of them.

I get mad at people more talented than me too.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Maybe MST3K needs to move past video game references, pop culture, and even jokes themselves. Only then can the Satellite of Love become what it was meant to be: a theater for community storytelling focused on deep characterization, multi-layered plots with season-spanning thematic narratives, and intricate world-building expanded into a multi-platform franchise universe played over B-movies. just relax

Edit
<Things (1989) finishes playing, the camera returns from the theater to the bots standing over a burial plot>
Gypsy: [to Jonah's grave] Jonah, dear, I can't cry. Why did you do it? I search and search and I search, and I can't understand it, Jonah. We watched the last movie today. Today, dear. And there'll be nobody in the theater.
[a sob rises in her throat]
Gyspy: We're free and clear.
[sobs]
Gypsy: We're free.
fin

Knight fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 20, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
maybe I'm just dead inside but the Neil Patrick Harris music number in Avalanche was a swing and a miss for me :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Knight posted:

Maybe MST3K needs to move past video game references, pop culture, and even jokes themselves. Only then can the Satellite of Love become what it was meant to be: a theater for community storytelling focused on deep characterization, multi-layered plots with season-spanning thematic narratives, and intricate world-building expanded into a multi-platform franchise universe played over B-movies. just relax

Edit
<Things (1989) finishes playing, the camera returns from the theater to the bots standing over a burial plot>
Gypsy: [to Jonah's grave] Jonah, dear, I can't cry. Why did you do it? I search and search and I search, and I can't understand it, Jonah. We watched the last movie today. Today, dear. And there'll be nobody in the theater.
[sobs]
fin
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. New season of MST3k is out. The great riffer - Jonah Ray - is new host. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Jonah Ray." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Knight posted:

Edit
[sobs]
fin

The entire show should become serious legitimate cinema, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGZbfNADNs

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Maybe I missed a conversation, but I don't think anybody's mention something that I noticed in the opening sequence.

During the line "an evil woman trapped him on the dark side of the moon" the number displayed on Jonah's computer monitors is different every episode. It isn't the episode number, because Loves of Hercules (episode 8) it was 005, and Yongary (episode 9) it's 008.

I wonder if there's any hidden meaning to those.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

maybe I'm just dead inside but the Neil Patrick Harris music number in Avalanche was a swing and a miss for me :shrug:

I liked the concept/joke but it really was just too drat long, especially since every other skit feels less than a minute.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rydiafan posted:

Maybe I missed a conversation, but I don't think anybody's mention something that I noticed in the opening sequence.

During the line "an evil woman trapped him on the dark side of the moon" the number displayed on Jonah's computer monitors is different every episode. It isn't the episode number, because Loves of Hercules (episode 8) it was 005, and Yongary (episode 9) it's 008.

Maybe it's the ARG for NIN's Year Zero pt. 2.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

She died as she lived: completely lit up.

Avalanche is great. I loved the running joke of Rock Hudson's character being obsessed with lunch, and the bots getting increasingly annoyed waiting for the avalanche to happen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Reddit is on the case. I guess some of the people involved in the show have said there is something there but they can't say more than that:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MST3Kpuzzle/comments/65d7og/list_of_numbers_displayed_in_each_episode/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I liked the concept/joke but it really was just too drat long, especially since every other skit feels less than a minute.

Yeah. I was also really hoping that he would die by some horrible accident just for some Dr. Horrible symmetry, so the ending sort of felt like it fizzled. It wasn't bad, though, it just was no P.T. Mindslap.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The things that bother me with the intro

1. There's a break in the song near the start.

2. The robots don't have titles during the roll call.

I wish there's things didn't bother me, but they do.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking about the theme song, and I really like Felicia Day's part. Turning the song into a duet with a soft light female voice is great.

Tsietisin posted:

Introducing the bots as silhouettes is actually really clever, since that's how we see them 90% of the time

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gaspy Conana posted:

Reptilicus does have some legitimate issues though. The setup overstays its welcome, and personally I felt the movie itself made things drag until the titular monster showed up. Once you had the monster (and the monster rap) though it got much better.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

The things that bother me with the intro

1. There's a break in the song near the start.

I wish there's things didn't bother me, but they do.

3.You can briefly see Frank turning around to do his "lalala" line before getting cut off during the "now keep in mind Jonah can't control" part of the song.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Introducing the bots as silhouettes is actually really clever, since that's how we see them 90% of the time

It's also sort of fun to watch Servo distract Jonah so that Crow can jump on his back, too.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I haven't had much time to follow the new season, but I'm hoping to sneak in another ep tonight.

If my faves from the Mike era are the sci-fi and "action" episodes with standout sidekicks/villains (Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Operation Double 007, Final Sacrifice, etc), which one from the new set will most likely hit similar beats?

I'll do them in order eventually, but tonight i just need something that hits the spot.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

kalensc posted:

I haven't had much time to follow the new season, but I'm hoping to sneak in another ep tonight.

If my faves from the Mike era are the sci-fi and "action" episodes with standout sidekicks/villains (Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Operation Double 007, Final Sacrifice, etc), which one from the new set will most likely hit similar beats?

I'll do them in order eventually, but tonight i just need something that hits the spot.

Time Travelers for the sci-fi

Cry Wilderness for the sidekick/villains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

kalensc posted:

Cry Wilderness has terrible sidekicks, "action", and horrifying genre whiplash.