Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Residency Evil posted:

One of the segments I fly most commonly will occasionally have a CRJ-200.

:sigh:

One of the segments I fly on most commonly always has a CRJ-200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

Cathay is dying and will get bought by Air China because of millions of people like you who are choosing price over product.

Hey it's a 3 hour flight to eat some sushi and a third of the price!

More like they Cathay hosed up on oil futures and are paying for it. Major carriers are great for business flyers because they fly multiple flights per day and if your flight gets grounded they can put you on to the next one within the same day.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

no assigned seats can suck a thousand loving dicks

I'm genuinely curious, why? I prefer window and have always gotten it every time I've flown Southwest. And if you're picky you can pay the $15 for early bird to essentially have your choice of seats, versus the up to $85 it takes to pick a seat on the legacy carriers, assuming a non middle seat is even available by the time you buy a ticket.

Also by picking your seat as you board you can avoid "large" passengers and babies/kids kicking your seat.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, you'll be good, don't worry about it.

I got 2 early flights home tonight. I'm only platinum on AA, but I got the top spot on the standby list walking in at the last minute. Status is a good thing and I may just squeeze into exec plat on AA this year by going over 120 EQSs.

Also, had my first 'go around' last night on approach into CLT. I read about it after and it's apparently no big deal, but I was scared for a second there when we pitched up and hit the throttle.

Was reading about this go-around last night.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/592054-so-westjet-almost-puts-one-their-737-water-while-landing-st-maarten.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Water Resistant posted:

I'm genuinely curious, why? I prefer window and have always gotten it every time I've flown Southwest. And if you're picky you can pay the $15 for early bird to essentially have your choice of seats, versus the up to $85 it takes to pick a seat on the legacy carriers, assuming a non middle seat is even available by the time you buy a ticket.

Also by picking your seat as you board you can avoid "large" passengers and babies/kids kicking your seat.

my ideal time to board the plane is sixteen seconds before they close the door and Southwest really dicks you hard on that.

I don't really want to be THAT GUY but Southwest is just really not designed for people like me and most of the posters in this thread. I'm at 79,000 MQM and $27,000 MQD on Delta alone in 2017, and I've probably got ~15 segments on other airlines. I want a good seat assigned to me for free at the beginning of the process, and I want to show up whenever I want (late) and be able to board quickly and have space for my bag. I don't want to deal with a bunch of fat retards doing their one flight to West Palm to see Grandma every year. About half my travel is international so I need a good full service carrier with good partner access to Europe, especially.

edit: I also certainly don't want to do the Mash Button To Check In Right At 24H Before Departure poo poo, and I really don't want to pay $15 for a seat because at heart I'm a cheap loving baro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can't wait for the CRJ-2 to die. Fortunately, we don't get any out of BOS on Delta anymore, it's all been upgauged to CRJ-7s and 9s. Even the weird BOS-RIC route that makes zero sense.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The CRJ2 gives regional jets a bad rap. Regional jets are pretty much the only thing AA gives me an upgrade on.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

The CRJ2 gives regional jets a bad rap. Regional jets are pretty much the only thing AA gives me an upgrade on.

I'm like 100% on AA upgrades from CLT-MCO, MCO-MIA and MIA-MCO even as a lowly platinum. The MCO-MIA legs and back are usually the widebodies too, so I get that sweet lay flat seat for about 39 minutes :v:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I love CRJ-900s because they have the best first/coach ratio in the sky and I rarely ever miss an upgrade even on a Monday morning or Thursday /Friday evening flight.

200s can suck a dick though. They are tolerable for a short flight if everything goes fine but the moment you are stuck on the tarmac for more than 2 minutes they turn in to stifling torture tubes.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

I'm like 100% on AA upgrades from CLT-MCO, MCO-MIA and MIA-MCO even as a lowly platinum. The MCO-MIA legs and back are usually the widebodies too, so I get that sweet lay flat seat for about 39 minutes :v:

I was just looking at the 767 on AA's MCO-MIA. What is the point of lie flat business for a 39 minute flight??

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Mandalay posted:

I was just looking at the 767 on AA's MCO-MIA. What is the point of lie flat business for a 39 minute flight??

Positioning flight.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

because at heart I'm a cheap loving baro

And we are all used to our companies paying for all the flight amenities

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Since when does Delta offer upgrades for sale with Platinums on the upgrade list? And why would three people pay $139 for an upgrade on an hour and a half flight?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
LAX Sky Club is so insanely crappy compared to SEA and JFK. Between the paper plates, the massive crowds, ridiculously narrow stairway entrance and excessive perfume spray it's like night and day.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

i fly airplanes posted:

LAX Sky Club is so insanely crappy compared to SEA and JFK. Between the paper plates, the massive crowds, ridiculously narrow stairway entrance and excessive perfume spray it's like night and day.

It's definitely gotten worse since they announced the terminal move.

I like the narrow stairway - it makes it hard to find.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Since when does Delta offer upgrades for sale with Platinums on the upgrade list? And why would three people pay $139 for an upgrade on an hour and a half flight?
Upgrades to first? They've done that for quite a while now. Some are reasonably priced, but it's offered me $200 upgrades for BNA-ATL before, which is like a 35 minute flight. I think my best offer was $75 for first class BNA-ATL-LAX which I jumped on.

i fly airplanes posted:

Never been to SEA, but JFK is very, very nice. Its a toss up between that one and F-term at ATL for the nicest SkyClub for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LAX will be fine once they finish the move.

caberham posted:

And we are all used to our companies paying for all the flight amenities

OPM, baby, OPM.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Arzakon posted:

Are they offering upgrades during check in or upselling people to discount first fares in advance of the 24 hour check in window?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Are they offering upgrades during check in or upselling people to discount first fares in advance of the 24 hour check in window?

both, it's been happening for quite a while

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Thoguh posted:

I was specifically referencing upgrades during check in. Haven't seen that in a while, and never with 2-3 first seats available and a huge upgrade list.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alitalia launching flights to Male. Unfortunately they're also pulling out of the SkyTeam transat JV. Also unfortunately, it's still Alitalia.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unfortunately they're also pulling out of the SkyTeam transat JV.

Wait is this confirmed? I know they're Etihad's bitch now but thought they only cancelled the AF/KLM partnership, not Skyteam.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Knitting Beetles posted:

Wait is this confirmed? I know they're Etihad's bitch now but thought they only cancelled the AF/KLM partnership, not Skyteam.

To be clear, they're staying in the alliance (for now), but they're out of DL-AF-KLM-AZ transatlantic joint venture.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I'd be more worried about them going bankrupt.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Anything that decreases your chances of flying AZ might be a positive

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Alitalia launching flights to Male.

Everyone spend every point you have banked to go to the Maldives. Totally worth it. Even in economy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Everyone spend every point you have banked to go to the Maldives. Totally worth it. Even in economy.

Really? Can't you just pick other random islands around the area? Like the Andaman Islands or Sri Lanka? Or maybe Belize or some no name Indonesian Island?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes, really. Sri Lanka and Belize don't compare. I haven't been to the others.

There's something about a sea plane dumping you on an island you can walk around (circumference) in 12 minutes that holds 60 people total.

I'm not saying you have to stay for a long time, many would get bored, but that kind of disconnection does it for me.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Cartagena is really nice and super cheap and a really easy flight from MIA or FTL. I'm white as hell and I was super safe. We airbnb'd for like 35$ a night in a beautiful high rise. Front door to the ocean. The old city is super touristy but still cheap and obviously safe. The suburbs immediately surrounding are nice too and there's a military base so it's secure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've heard it's fun for 2-3 days then it gets a little stale. What did you do?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
I'm actually curious about the Maldives with respect to what to do as well. Those overwater bungalows look awesome, but what do you do for three days, especially since you can't really leave easily?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I woke up and snorkeled every day first thing because I chose a hotel with a great house reef.

Then I'd enjoy their massive breakfast spread at a very leisurely pace. Go back to the room and shower and decide what to do -- deck on our bungalow with small stereo to listen to music and soak in our private pool, go to beach and sit out, go to public pool and have drinks.

Go back to room and nap / get ready for sunset cocktail hour, go on a dhoni to watch sunset, grab a hammock on the beach, hand feed the stingrays, whatever.

Lots of reading, listening to music, whatever you like to do in down time. If you want to drop the cash you can take half and full day excursions with a boat to fish. Massages. Daily yoga. Also if you're a diver there's plenty to do. These resorts are pretty good with activities for 4-5 days. Some people stay weeks and I don't really understand how they afford it or find it enjoyable for that long.

I love active trips, so does my wife, and she didn't really get why we were going but when we got there she got it. 5 days was perfect.

It's been the best spend of points for us given the massive cost of rooms there, but I also travel pretty thoroughly through many parts of the world and this is a spot that my clients haven't taken me. Also the 12 hour difference makes it perfect for forcing me to shut down.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Cartagena is really nice and super cheap and a really easy flight from MIA or FTL. I'm white as hell and I was super safe. We airbnb'd for like 35$ a night in a beautiful high rise. Front door to the ocean. The old city is super touristy but still cheap and obviously safe. The suburbs immediately surrounding are nice too and there's a military base so it's secure.

True story. I signed up for the "mud volcano tour", and thought it was going to be a hike. Got there, and I had no swimsuit to get into the uh.. mud. :ohdear:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maldives have some pretty good surf breaks from what I understand.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I just want to go on record that AirFrance business class in an A330 is steaming hot garbage. That 9 hours from Paris to Bangalore felt like I was on Southwest. Not looking forward to the return trip at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

I just want to go on record that AirFrance business class in an A330 is steaming hot garbage. That 9 hours from Paris to Bangalore felt like I was on Southwest. Not looking forward to the return trip at all.

Hard product on the A330s isn't great but the 777s are excellent.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hard product on the A330s isn't great but the 777s are excellent.

The 1-2-1 layout of Delta's 777 that I was on from JFK to CDG was nice, but the actual product was so-so. Domestic 757s have a bigger and nicer screen, and the power and headphone input were hidden way in back of the seat and were very inconvenient.

I need to try an A380 now. I've been on Delta looking for partner flights on AirFrance or Korean but haven't found much yet.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Goober Peas posted:

We have an operation in Hyderabad. It's a pain in the rear end to get proper documentation to do any work there, a pain in the rear end to get there, a pain in the rear end once you're there, a pain in the rear end to leave. Flying business is just about the only non-negative to having to go. If you get an assignment there, it's 30 days minimum due to the amount of red tape. Brazil is probably the next most complicated country for us to work in and it's a cakewalk by comparison.

Hmm - what's so hard about India? I have a 5-year business visa and I've gone several times to there and Delhi and it's never been a big deal or a hassle. Do you have to get a work visa for the type of work? I usually go for 2-3 weeks tops.

DJCobol posted:

The 1-2-1 layout of Delta's 777 that I was on from JFK to CDG was nice, but the actual product was so-so. Domestic 757s have a bigger and nicer screen, and the power and headphone input were hidden way in back of the seat and were very inconvenient.

I need to try an A380 now. I've been on Delta looking for partner flights on AirFrance or Korean but haven't found much yet.

I took business class on the Air France A380 - it was a piece of poo poo. I'm pretty sure it's the EXACT same as their other business class product... so I guess the seat has had less asses on it and that's it. I should have paid the 1800 EUR to upgrade to first. I did the A380 between NY and Paris - would have been nice to see the supposed amazing lounge with first and the limo ride, etc.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2017

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Air France is complete crap. The only thing worthwhile is the new business class on the 777's, otherwise completely avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Vomik posted:

Hmm - what's so hard about India? I have a 5-year business visa and I've gone several times to there and Delhi and it's never been a big deal or a hassle. Do you have to get a work visa for the type of work? I usually go for 2-3 weeks tops.

It has to do with how we're incorporated there and the work being done - which is way more than I'm willing to tap out right now. Work visas are required, and we are required to document all work done and file with several layers of government there. Income and benefits taxed in both India and home country. I could go on and on.