Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hauki
May 11, 2010

YoungSexualNorton posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean though. You've gotta go with one of the few really high yield builds. 2h warchief and flameblast totem are pretty much the top of the list for straightforward entry level builds. It'd be hell trying to SSF the endgame on top of a build that you just kinda cooked up on your own unless you really knew what you were doing.

and what I meant was that you've got to be pretty lucky to actually get challenging maps to drop in the first place in ssf

but yes, if you're trying to simultaneously learn the game, push maps and roll ssf, you're probably in trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
something i didn't expect: rather than being redundant, using a beyond leaguestone with a beyond map modifier seems to stack the summon chances. the beyond leaguestone also had a 40% increased summon rate.

it might still have been redundant and i was just getting insanely lucky on the summons, but i still haven't seen that many uniques come out of one breach before

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

McFrugal posted:

Sounds like there's something weird going on with cast speed and channeled skills, perhaps Scorching Ray in particular. How do you count distinct icestorms though? Try it with something more obvious, like fireball or a curse. Once the servers come back up anyway.

I dragged the pointer across the screen while I held down RMB (my SR button), and icestorm appeared at two places when I held it down for 0,7sec. Tried with a regular wand and fireballs, same thing, without having to move cursor.

Venuz Patrol posted:

something i didn't expect: rather than being redundant, using a beyond leaguestone with a beyond map modifier seems to stack the summon chances. the beyond leaguestone also had a 40% increased summon rate.

it might still have been redundant and i was just getting insanely lucky on the summons, but i still haven't seen that many uniques come out of one breach before

Yeah, before this patch one of the Zana mods was Beyond. If the map listed beyond, then picking her mod would double the chance (basically make more red balls appear when you kill poo poo). Apparently it hasn't been working properly, but they fixed it in the patch earlier!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ziz just got banned on stream for reasons currently unknown

e: reason given is using a flask macro. here is the clip in question. not sure what a flask macro actually looks like so i dunno
https://clips.twitch.tv/SmokyDistinctVelociraptorEleGiggle

e2: unbanned

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 19, 2017

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

He hit the macro button while he had chat open, so the '12345' it sent to use the flasks ended up in his chat box instead. Pretty clear-cut, wonder how long the ban will last.

e: I am a dumb.

Telarra fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 19, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

he sent them an email basically saying "im not using a flask macro" and they said ok and unbanned him

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Chris Wilson posted:

The lock was a mistake based on an incorrect judgement call. Such calls would be easier if dozens of people didn't write in requesting blood every time this kinda of ambiguous thing happens on stream.

When the team sees something dodgy, the policy is to lock to stop the behaviour immediately and then unlock or warn/unlock (or permanently ban in some cases).

Ziz, I am very sorry this happened.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
so his twitch chat snitched on him? hope they get stitches

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Konquest posted:

Can I get an invite to the guild? Char name is Xanradune. Thanks

sent

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

e: reason given is using a flask macro. here is the clip in question. not sure what a flask macro actually looks like so i dunno

Yeah that's 100% manual typing, I've done that myself many times. You accidentally (or on purpose) hit enter and then suddenly realise you need to flask and poo poo happens.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Valle posted:

I dragged the pointer across the screen while I held down RMB (my SR button), and icestorm appeared at two places when I held it down for 0,7sec. Tried with a regular wand and fireballs, same thing, without having to move cursor.

Alright so I got out a stopwatch and actually timed when the curses were going off after I clicked the button and I GUESS YOU CAN DISREGARD EVERYTHING I SAID BEFORE. Scorching Ray has a wind-up time but it's not 0.50s. It might be half that or something. It seemed like the delay before the initial triggered spell went off was longer than the space between successive ones but that doesn't seem to be the case after all and I was fooling myself by paying too close attention to the scorching ray animation.

I think the numeric cast times for channeled spells are only used to determine how fast stacks are applied, to either enemies or the skill itself. The casting animation itself does not match with the cast speed, so I got real confused.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 19, 2017

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

well you were asking for the best of the best, life and evasion will get you killed super fast

also if you want to cheap out while still going CI there is always Trickster ED or Occultist Poisonstorm

Thanks for the advice on CI, I had a look around and it seems modifying my build later to use ES wouldn't be too difficult so I can keep levelling cheaply as life/evasion until that happens. Though those other two builds sound interesting so I may have to give them a go too once I can afford some levelling gear to make the start less painful.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

YoungSexualNorton posted:

I think you'd need to run pretty particular builds to break too far into maps with SSF. Unless you're very lucky the best you'll be running is a 5l, and hitting end game with that is a pretty rare feat even when trading for gear.

Facebreaker warchief totems might be possible as SSF but you'd be losing a huge chunk of damage with no access to +phys damage from uniques. You'd have to take it on jewelry regardless and make up life/resists elsewhere.

On the other hand, since you wouldn't have those uniques, you'd have a lot more slots for +res

MY DEAD GAY FORUM
Jun 3, 2014
Should be banned.

J
Jun 10, 2001

A 12345 macro shouldn't even be bannable anyway. They should make it so you can bind multiple flasks to the same key in the game options if you want to.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

Hauki posted:

and what I meant was that you've got to be pretty lucky to actually get challenging maps to drop in the first place in ssf

but yes, if you're trying to simultaneously learn the game, push maps and roll ssf, you're probably in trouble

Yeah, I've never bothered with SSF for gear but I tried not trading for maps one league and capped out at t14s even blowing a bunch of currency to run 80/30+ quant/pack size on every high tier map I had. I crafted a handful of t15 maps but never once saw a guardian.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

the best part is they do ban streamers who have flask macros go off when typing. Meanwhile a majority of their player base NOT streaming use flask macros and get off scott free(just lol if you don't think a majority of pathfinders use flask macros). Price of being a streamer I guess.

And until they actually start detecting and banning/warning for using flask macros outside of streamers I will never not use one.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 19, 2017

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, Vinktar Square is such a good deal on LSC right now. I mean, the 4 staves together cost less than the worst Vinktar on poe.trade right now, and if you luck out and get a +pen or a decent rolled +spells version you're making 50%+ profit. It's also got great quant/rarity/packsize, can drop Shaped Strand, is amazing for Beyond, if you want to mess with sextants the map always comes unID for that lovely +quant/packsize sextant roll, etc etc.

Only bad thing is, gently caress buying up Agnerods all the time.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Insurrectionist posted:

Man, Vinktar Square is such a good deal on LSC right now. I mean, the 4 staves together cost less than the worst Vinktar on poe.trade right now, and if you luck out and get a +pen or a decent rolled +spells version you're making 50%+ profit. It's also got great quant/rarity/packsize, can drop Shaped Strand, is amazing for Beyond, if you want to mess with sextants the map always comes unID for that lovely +quant/packsize sextant roll, etc etc.

Only bad thing is, gently caress buying up Agnerods all the time.

How much cheaper are buying the staffs than the map out right ?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

the best slivertongue (not that it takes much)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

How much cheaper are buying the staffs than the map out right ?

A decent bit, even just making a profit on the guaranteed drop is better than any other map you can buy. I didn't try the absolute lowball listings and still got myself two maps' worth of staves for a combined cost of 95c a couple hours ago, because I wanted a decent +spells version and even the lowest one I found was 69c. At the time the cheapest map was 55c (54 now I see) and the cheapest Vinktar is 50c. I even got super lucky with two +pen Vinktars, sold one for 82c and traded the other for a near-max +spells for myself.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 19, 2017

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Kild posted:

it does. so if you used with the spells that let you use spell damage on DoTs that'll affect it too.

While this is true apparently attack damage does not effect decay.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Right, Decay isn't an attack.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
I'll take an invite to the guild, character name is strError_charNotFound.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I've been playing about 2 weeks now and the other day I cleaned out my stash of junk legendaries I had found. I didn't think much about it.

Today I was looking at https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/665825/fluff_just_another_vaaling_session/ and saw the last item was a belt called headhunter. I thought, why did he vaal an item worth 1 alchemy.....

So I looked up headhunter on poe.trade again, and saw that what i thought was an alchemy icon is actually a mirror icon.

So yeah, I vendored an item worth about 100x more than anything else I have ever gotten the other day :shobon:

edit: the good news is that it prompted me to install the trade macro to check item prices now.

nerox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i thought i was okay with clearing out the atlas totally on my own, but after half a week of my only tier 12 map drop being residences, i've decided it might be okay to buy some to expand my options. residence maps suck

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

nerox posted:

I've been playing about 2 weeks now and the other day I cleaned out my stash of junk legendaries I had found. I didn't think much about it.

Today I was looking at https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/665825/fluff_just_another_vaaling_session/ and saw the last item was a belt called headhunter. I thought, why did he vaal an item worth 1 alchemy.....

So I looked up headhunter on poe.trade again, and saw that what i thought was an alchemy icon is actually a mirror icon.

So yeah, I vendored an item worth about 100x more than anything else I have ever gotten the other day :shobon:

edit: the good news is that it prompted me to install the trade macro to check item prices now.

You are surprisingly calm about this so I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're a serial killer.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

whypick1 posted:

You are surprisingly calm about this so I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're a serial killer.

Final boss of the new Act confirmed.

"Have you ever vendored a God before, Exile?" :unsmigghh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

nerox posted:

yea nice fake post/bait.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Holyshoot posted:

yea nice fake post/bait.

It's really not, but I have no way of proving it so who cares.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/854878898424762368

Water looks cool

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

nerox posted:

yea I'm gonna call bullshit on this as well. you happened to be running a nemesis stone, had a unique belt dropped, IDed it, read the description and went "yeah this is vendor trash". What uniques would you not vendor if headhunters affixes aren't interesting enough to not vendor?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Donincognito/characters

Can I get a quick critique of DonPunchy please. Im at a stage where I dont know what piece of gear to upgrade next, and where I should be going on on the skill tree. Im sort of angling towards more jewel slots for flexibility, but I have recently been in some runs where everyone was doing a shitload more damage than me. Plus more defense never really hurts. Im hanging around t8-t10 maps, because I seem to get hurt a lot if I go much higher.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I keep seeing CWDT setups nowadays using immortal call with no apparent way to generate endurance charges, has something changed about that skill?

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Stangg posted:

I keep seeing CWDT setups nowadays using immortal call with no apparent way to generate endurance charges, has something changed about that skill?

They're relying on the base 0.4 second duration to stop multiple quick physical hits from killing them. Endurance charges just multiply this base.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

yea I'm gonna call bullshit on this as well. you happened to be running a nemesis stone, had a unique belt dropped, IDed it, read the description and went "yeah this is vendor trash". What uniques would you not vendor if headhunters affixes aren't interesting enough to not vendor?

I thought it looked neat, which is why I looked it up on poe.trade. I mistook the mirror icon for the alchemy icon so i thought it was a common item, which is why I got rid of it since I thought I could always just buy one for cheap if I need one.

I just thought you guys would laugh at my newbie mistake, I wasn't trying to enrage people.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So, I'd love to get some feedback on my first kinda sorta attempt at my own build, Magma Orb Inquisitor. https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Insurrectionist/characters character is WhisperTemplar.

I did take some advice on what damage nodes to aim for in the tree from a life-based magma orb build, but also changed some up and everything else like itemization and skills/supports I just did myself in PoB. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it and I'm quite satisfied with the damage. Sitting in my hideout I'm getting 122k dps, and with flasks + Assassin's Mark + conditional damage such as Ascendancies, PoBuilding is putting me at 316k dps, 254k against Shaper/Guardians. I've only had a chance to try it in some Shaped Strands and normal Atziri runs so far though. Gotta say, it takes a little bit getting used to how Magma Orb works. It's not exactly the smoothest mapping skill but it's kinda fun too.

Currently my build mostly has one problem, mana against bosses. I don't have any actual way to leech mana atm and I only have 42/sec regen. I don't need much casts for trash and I get some back on kill with Assassin's Mark, but bosses are more annoying. I do swap in a mana flask and it works but it feels a little clumsy, and means I lose out on one of the other five very useful flasks. I was trying Clarity out in an open socket but it wasn't working well - at low levels it did essentially nothing, at high levels it still couldn't keep up with the ~112 mana/sec casting cost of Magma Orb and just made Mana Flasks unusable due to faster regen and about ~100 max mana. It feels a little wasteful sitting with 36% uncapped mana too, and I now have three sockets I'm not using (including the one I tossed Portal in) for anything at all. I really don't want to toss some kind of upkeep skill(s) in there that adds more buttons to push if I can avoid it, but any ideas would be welcome!

One idea I had for the mana was to swap Anger with Warlord's Mark + Blasphemy, and switch Life Leech Support with another damage support (so many damage supports I want, curse this 5L!) which would give me equal or better damage I think (Anger is mathing to 12 - 14% of my dps atm) and the mana leech...but it would also mostly neuter all my Life Leech at range, and I'm just not sure if that inconsistency is worth it.

For upgrades, I would love to have a helm with the chain enchant, but I'm sitting at ~300c right now and I'd rather save up for a Dying Sun instead i think. My current helm is nothing special at all, the only item I just rolled for myself and stopped at the first roll over 300ES because I was low on Alts already. A 21 Magma Orb gem for the extra chain would also be great but I doubt I can afford that any time soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

How do gems get above 20, anyway?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

silvergoose posted:

How do gems get above 20, anyway?

Vaal orb gets them to 21 sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob NewSCART posted:

Honestly I play this game since the earliest days and I can't really measure how powerful headhunter is just from looking at its lines. The first time I looked at it a bunch of stuff popped in my head like "do bosses like izaro count as rare monsters or just yellow mobs?" "how powerful are the yellow mob mods when tuned against other monsters?" and "even if they're good is it even possible to set it up to kill the game's hardest bosses at all?".

I've ID'd so many uniques and thought "Oh wow this looks cool/has a unique effect" only to find out on poe.trade it goes for 1 alc. It doesn't help that some uniques are actually good and used in a lot of builds and also happen to be common so they're not valuable at all.

• Locked thread