Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game goes from a casual goofball fest to the most tense stressful thing I've ever played once I'm in the top 15. I like legit have to take a break after breaking top 10 because my heart rate goes through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
On the test server, the frying pan has been changed to block bullets. So if you wear it, it becomes rear end armor.

https://clips.twitch.tv/UglyDirtyBeeShazBotstix

Orv
May 4, 2011
I like this direction.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The pan meta

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Its all a balancing act, and almost impossible to get completely perfect for things like trees. In a game where spotting is so paramount though it should be good, because being killed becase on my screen I am well within cover but on the enemies screen the billboard LOD replacement is for whatever reason not z-lifted and so I am just sitting on top of it would be really frustrating.

The reverse is true as well, go with a flat canopy billboard at a distance and then I can snipe you from tree cover but you cannot locate me to return fire. Game design is hard.

It's weird that there are no LODs though, pretty sure I remember UE4 having a tool that would auto-generate them for you with a slider & preview configurable for distance so you could make sure the model didn't get too distorted as it lost polys. It wasn't hard to use.

But the way this game seems to do it is rendering trees as sprites past a certain distance and just not rendering buildings at all. It's very noticeable with everything set to very low but draw distance on ultra.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Dr Cheeto posted:

The pan meta

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueNaiveAlmondGOWSkull

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

aniviron posted:

It's weird that there are no LODs though, pretty sure I remember UE4 having a tool that would auto-generate them for you with a slider & preview configurable for distance so you could make sure the model didn't get too distorted as it lost polys. It wasn't hard to use.

But the way this game seems to do it is rendering trees as sprites past a certain distance and just not rendering buildings at all. It's very noticeable with everything set to very low but draw distance on ultra.

Yeah its very strange. The foliage does have lods but you are right that most of the objects in this game do no appear to have any sort of LOD to them. Though I could be wrong, its likely a time constraint issue, and ideally will be remedied in the future (to great performance increases).

Its possible this patch added some LOD's too, since they claim to have improved performance near cities, which LODS would definitely help with.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Weapon damage video dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpD6Lqt9xQ

And updated spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PDqd9nBVKhqc4skamr2qG6J4sfWFtg8gDQMCYUkSNDw/edit?pageId=102379580471328995603&authuser=1#gid=0

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 20, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
updated my graphics driver last night, then loaded up the game and dropped onto the roof of the school.

Only the school didn't render in time, so what happened is i just dropped through what would have been the roof and 3 storeys and hit the ground, but i could see like 80% of the loot inside the building, even though the structure itself hadn't rendered. Took about 2 minutes for the game to pop me into the ground level and create the walls.

how's the 2x scope? i was getting pretty comfortable with my endgame loadout being AR with reddot and secondary rifle/AR with 4x/8x.

will the 2x just straight up replace the reddot for lategame firefights?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Don't know what it is about the OC servers but I just had someone teleport in front of me and pop me. Watching the death feed after and about every 10 seconds he is getiing a kill

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

busb posted:

updated my graphics driver last night, then loaded up the game and dropped onto the roof of the school.

Only the school didn't render in time, so what happened is i just dropped through what would have been the roof and 3 storeys and hit the ground, but i could see like 80% of the loot inside the building, even though the structure itself hadn't rendered. Took about 2 minutes for the game to pop me into the ground level and create the walls.

how's the 2x scope? i was getting pretty comfortable with my endgame loadout being AR with reddot and secondary rifle/AR with 4x/8x.

I would definitely pick up the 2x over a red dot now- except that on the test server last night at least, there was no mouse sensitivity slider for the 2x zoom, so sensitivity with it in ADS is as high as your 3rd person sensitivity.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

busb posted:

I've seen a few people complain about building pop-in with the new drivers. Maybe it's a thing.

The 2x is nice, it's almost like a holo that's shift-zoomed all the time, but the reticle is really obnoxious with obscuring your target. If you could tone down the green it'd be perfect.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Raged posted:

Don't know what it is about the OC servers but I just had someone teleport in front of me and pop me. Watching the death feed after and about every 10 seconds he is getiing a kill

Sounds like it could be a hacker, as was shown a couple of pages ago (which also had comments showing it was done on the OC servers)

as long as the 2x is good for short distance fights that's good to hear

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I want to like the 2x but hate the reticle.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I guess you gotta give to get, so to speak.

1 hour 20 min till patch.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
As much as it makes me scream internally, I kind of love the fact that every single beginner's guide on youtube contains information that is laughably wrong. Like how every single one I've seen states that all armor provides the same damage reduction. More misinformation to the masses, please

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
All you have to do is read this thread for the same reaction friendo

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

busb posted:

All you have to do is read this thread for the same reaction friendo

no comprende, friende

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Steam is downloading a 5gb patch. Also downloading test server which is 7gb.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

jonathan posted:

Steam is downloading a 5gb patch. Also downloading test server which is 7gb.

Hope it auto downloads while I'm at work

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

New patch made my character bald again, so that's all that matters.

I got the crossbow in my first round after the patch, but I was too scared to experiment with it. Does it have more bullet drop than other guns or any unique attributes (other than a really good default aim-down-sights)?

Edit: Whoa, motorbikes are a loving mess if you try to take them anywhere other than perfectly level terrain.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 20, 2017

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How are the performance increases for everyone? Won't be able to get home and download the new patch for a few hours yet.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The game definitely runs better in terms of FPS and general responsiveness. However, you still get a lot of periodic lag spikes and rubberbanding, especially at the start of the match. The foliage change is very noticeable, as is the graphics update to make items on the ground stand out more in dark environments.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
Had a crossbow vs a vector fight to start a match immediately after landing on the roof of the apartment building in the crater. No surprises who won that one.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still can't see what niche the crossbow is supposed to occupy. Unless theyve made it laser accurate at long range, id rather have any other weapon including pistols.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

According to the damage video it looked like the crossbow is extremely powerful, shotgun like powerful, with more range. Sounds like a niche, in that you'll have to use it on someone who is more unsuspecting as it'll be an absolute pain to get a moving target. Maybe they'll make the arrow hitbox large (in a sort of TF2 huntsman sorta way)

I'd probably hope it's naturally silent as well. (I don't know!)

It doesn't matter because I'm going to use it always.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 20, 2017

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It occupies the feel like a baller when you kill someone with it niche.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
The crossbow does seem super accurate even over a decent range, from messing with it in the island lobby before a match starts anyway.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

They added a second dot, I assume for two different zeroes, but I'm not sure to which ranges they correspond. It seems like at about 10 yards it hits in between the two dots.

Based on the damage values it looks like a one shot kill to the torso against an unarmored person. Could be good in certain situations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I still can't see what niche the crossbow is supposed to occupy. Unless theyve made it laser accurate at long range, id rather have any other weapon including pistols.

The same niche as the pistols: "Welp I guess it's better than having to melee."

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Opening/closing doors and picking up items feels so much better now after this big patch. Also, the foliage graphics setting makes sense now in terms of balance or whatever you want to call it. It basically only affects stuff way off in the distance.

"Ultra" Foliage:

"Very Low" Foliage:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So with the graphics and foliage changes, can I turn my settings back up so everything isn't quite so ugly?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It seems like the foliage is still not really useful for concealment as it doesn't render beyond 50m or so.

Wonder if they do that silly ARMA workaround where player models visibly sink into the ground when prone on foliage.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The motorcycle is just sooooooooooooooooooo stupid

and fun

However don't flip since it's instant death

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Perestroika posted:

The same niche as the pistols: "Welp I guess it's better than having to melee."

Maybe the same niche as a rifle suppressor. If you don't find one, you could take an easy shot at the endgame for a kill that doesn't reveal your position.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
The chances of winning a game for me drop infinitely if another person has a suppressor. I have zero idea how to figure out where people are who use one. As soon as I hear suppressed shots on me I might as well quit out.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The patch was supposed to increase muzzle flash, right? That will help find the suppressed shooter.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

VietCampo posted:

i feel you man, first time i made it to the top 10, i died by getting ran over by my own car while hopping out. :(

Watched a guy do this last night and got my brains blown out by a silenced AWM when I went to rifle through the dead man's gear. Made it to #4. He didn't even have anything good on him. :(

Lesson learned though, don't get to the top 10 without being done with looting.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

NickBlasta posted:

Maybe the same niche as a rifle suppressor. If you don't find one, you could take an easy shot at the endgame for a kill that doesn't reveal your position.

Yeah I could see it being useful in the last few circles since I assume it's silent (and probably more so than a suppressed weapon) and it would make you feel like Rambo in Rambo III, even though it's not a bow.

rap music posted:

Watched a guy do this last night and got my brains blown out by a silenced AWM when I went to rifle through the dead man's gear. Made it to #4. He didn't even have anything good on him. :(

Lesson learned though, don't get to the top 10 without being done with looting.

If you are looting endgame I feel like you have to be sure what you are looking before you even move to the corpse. Generally I'll just grab the meds at the top unless I'm really looking for a specific thing, e.g., scope for a kar98, ammo if you have none, new vest etc. which can be done really quick.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

rap music posted:

Got to 6th last night in solo, saw a guy across the map with his back to me hiding behind a tree, took a shot at him and I guess that brought me out to the world and died instantly to a different AWM.. gently caress.

• Locked thread