Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I just ended up using Warning Shot for the negotiations and most of the time it joins up with you.

Warning Shot's a very useful ability when I remember I have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Really? I had it happen all the time. They only work on complete failure's though not the half-successes where you get a useless item (except for Ann's improved version). So I guess you might have just been lucky enough to not fail and also unlucky enough to not succeed.
Yeah, that sounds like it must be the case since most of my negotiations end with me getting an item I wasn't even trying to get in the first place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Raxivace posted:

most of my negotiations end with me getting an item I wasn't even trying to get in the first place.

Yeah, this is when you get a middling result. Like you got some notes and a sweat instead of two sets of notes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The thing I find weirdest in Demon negotiations is how the 2nd question is the only one that seems to matter. Like as long as you answer the 2nd question right you seem to get the persona, no matter how the 1st goes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It reads a lot more naturally with or rather than and in the first sentence considering it's directly and immediately setting up an either/or question.
Maybe it's more awkward in context, but on its own it's fine. It sounds reflective, like he's confirming the options to himself, considering them, and then asking a question. If he's being more insistent, as in "The red wire or the blue wire - which should I cut?", then yeah, using and isn't good, and neither is having the "huh?" in there.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I finished the 5th palace as early as I could, and now every single day in person or by mail people keep pestering me to go to Mementos to finish a request... which I got from Futaba's S.link and can't access yet because it's too deep and won't unlock until the change of heart triggers. Which takes like 3 weeks. Every single day. If there's one thing I don't like about the mail system it's how your friends say "we'll leave the timing to you, Joker!" then bombard you with palace/Mementos requests all the loving time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The thing I find weirdest in Demon negotiations is how the 2nd question is the only one that seems to matter. Like as long as you answer the 2nd question right you seem to get the persona, no matter how the 1st goes.

Thats only true early on I found, later if I didn't get two notes they didn't join.

Hell sometimes they didn't join even when I did get two notes. Luckily, by that point I was filling out my compendium and having a persona registered there lets you pick it back up without fail. Plus warning shot is great.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm roughly 5,000 posts behind in this thread so I apologize if this was already mentioned, but I just recently maxed the Strength Confidant and got to use its top benefit to do something pretty useful and somewhat dirty feeling: My level 51 self dropped 140,000 yen to fuse a sixth palace treasure demon and a Sarasvati into a level 73 Cybele, giving me access to Bless Amp, Makougaon, Auto-Maraku, and then Salvation after feeding her another level via the gallows. Cybele also turns into extremely strong gloves for Makoto with high crit rate, so I did that and then dropped another 60k yen to resummon her.

Also the game is good, the English voices are good, and the script seems relatively error free besides the early game examples posted in the thread, so those are all also nice things.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I am just about to send the card for Palace 7 and I am overwhelmed by the fusion possibilities now that I have a million yen and Strength 10. I don't know where to even begin

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I am just about to send the card for Palace 7 and I am overwhelmed by the fusion possibilities now that I have a million yen and Strength 10. I don't know where to even begin

The first thing I noticed when looking at my options was that a Persona 1 level above me was like 30-40k, whereas the one I ended up going with that was 22 levels above me was only in the 140k yen range, so my advice would be to look at the highest level options for something that catches your eye, whether that be a cool design or a skill/set of skills that you want access to.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
My final Persona was, as per series tradition, Yoshitsune.

Only this time I managed to stick Debilitate, Apt Pupil, One-Shot Kill, Snipe, Cripple and Null Phys on it as well as the standard Charge and Hassou Tobi.

I also got incredibly lucky with Futaba using her Charge/Concentrate All skill on turn two and wiped half the last boss's health in the two turns after that.

My favourite little touch in the game is that although you're building the Judgement social link and it appears in the menu, you don't get the fusion exp boost until you catch up with the present day.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Demon Negotiation made me laugh more often than not so it's good

I'll miss not having it going back to P4 and P3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, demon negotiation is great. I think it's possible the translation doesn't get across the proper tone of the answers sometimes, but it's not that often, and the system's pretty forgiving as it is.

I'm not sure I can go back to Persona 3 and 4 after this, at least not for a good, long while. There are just too many gameplay, presentation, and social link improvements. Plus I have a bad habit of getting attached to whatever the latest Persona cast is so I'm like, "The Investigation Team? Who're they? My friends are the Phantom Thieves."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wow why is Ann so hard to Rank Up in her late stages. I also apparently totally screwed up gifting things to her besides giving her a Green Tea Flan earlier. She apparently doesn't want my face beautifier.

Apparently I'm not gonna rank up everyone I wanted to, which is disappointing one week out from the Palace 6 calling card. I still hold out hope that I might get most of the party members besides Haru done, and Star, Devil and maybe Fortune? Hierophant would be nice if I could squeeze out the last bits of Kindness.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 has basically fully convinced me that "if the protagonist hits 0 HP, it's game over" is bad and needs to go away. There's no justification for it in-universe (your characters don't actually die at 0 HP, and if they did, that'd mean Tae Takemi is capable of making literal resurrection medicine) and there's even less justification from a game design perspective. It's not like they couldn't make enemies or bosses challenging otherwise. On Hard, I've run into total party wipes once or twice, and it's entirely possible that I'd be screwed anyway in a couple of the "gently caress, Joker died" situations, but I wouldn't know because I didn't have any chance to recover.

I hope that's the series sacred cow they slaughter when they make "Persona 5 Crimson" (which I guess the whole internet has decided is the placeholder name for the probable rerelease).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Wait, what's going on? Goro isn't nearly as slimy in English. This isn't right...

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

I hope that's the series sacred cow they slaughter when they make "Persona 5 Crimson" (which I guess the whole internet has decided is the placeholder name for the probable rerelease).

I don't object to this in theory, but in truth, I'd be happy if they kept it and just justified it in some way. The series has done away with a lot of its once-traditional mechanics and for some reason I feel as attached to this one as the developers. It's something unique; your battle considerations can't solely take defeating the enemy into account, you also need to build a team that can defend itself and also defend a lynchpin figure. Given you can swap between a dozen plus skill sets and immunity conditions whereas nobody else can, you have a big leg-up on most enemies and all of your party members. It's not a bad idea to counterbalance this.

The problem is, this works best in a game like main-series Shin Megami Tensei, because you have more control over who your party members are and a more varied pool to draw from, enabling more complex arrangements of defensive abilities and offensive might. But the same appeal of assembling your team thoughtfully and gearing your Personas accordingly still exists here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Wait, what's going on? Goro isn't nearly as slimy in English. This isn't right...

He's slimy in Japanese? In English he comes across as just incredibly, unfailingly polite with anyone who isn't named Sae Niijima, to whom he makes a bunch of weird comments about her looks.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of gifts, I bought a mini cactus from the flower shop because I thought I could put it on the shelf. Of course, you can't do that since the cactus is supposed to be a gift, and since I never got my proficiency high enough to start Haru's link there was no one who would appreciate such a gift. So, it ended up staying in my inventory for the rest of the game, and every time I met up with one of the other ladies the game asked if I wanted to show them my mini cactus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 has basically fully convinced me that "if the protagonist hits 0 HP, it's game over" is bad and needs to go away. There's no justification for it in-universe (your characters don't actually die at 0 HP, and if they did, that'd mean Tae Takemi is capable of making literal resurrection medicine) and there's even less justification from a game design perspective. It's not like they couldn't make enemies or bosses challenging otherwise. On Hard, I've run into total party wipes once or twice, and it's entirely possible that I'd be screwed anyway in a couple of the "gently caress, Joker died" situations, but I wouldn't know because I didn't have any chance to recover.

It's not a huge issue for me but I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, or done in a more interesting way (Like maybe if Joker dies you have a brief amount of time to revive him before you get the game over).

I think the Persona series tend to actually be a bit better about this mechanic than some other games, since party members being able to take individual mortal blows is a thing, and I kind of like the strategic element of that compared to something like Final Fantasy 13. I seem to recall those abilities being around way earlier in P3P and P4 though compared to P5 though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

He's slimy in Japanese? In English he comes across as just incredibly, unfailingly polite with anyone who isn't named Sae Niijima, to whom he makes a bunch of weird comments about her looks.

He breaks character with Makoto in a scene that might seem like an unexplained moment of cattiness, where he basically sneers at her for being a doormat. He's not strictly wrong, either.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Doc Morbid posted:

Speaking of gifts, I bought a mini cactus from the flower shop because I thought I could put it on the shelf. Of course, you can't do that since the cactus is supposed to be a gift, and since I never got my proficiency high enough to start Haru's link there was no one who would appreciate such a gift. So, it ended up staying in my inventory for the rest of the game, and every time I met up with one of the other ladies the game asked if I wanted to show them my mini cactus.
Yeah; I thought Futaba might be into it but she was nonplussed.

Really anyone who isn't Ann is at least a little bit tough to shop for.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Harrow posted:

She's his only friend.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't object to this in theory, but in truth, I'd be happy if they kept it and just justified it in some way. The series has done away with a lot of its once-traditional mechanics and for some reason I feel as attached to this one as the developers. It's something unique; your battle considerations can't solely take defeating the enemy into account, you also need to build a team that can defend itself and also defend a lynchpin figure. Given you can swap between a dozen plus skill sets and immunity conditions whereas nobody else can, you have a big leg-up on most enemies and all of your party members. It's not a bad idea to counterbalance this.

I suppose it works as a counterbalance to the protagonist's extreme versatility, but unfortunately, it makes difficulties above Normal more frustrating than they should be--it's too easy for you to just make one mistake (or even not make a mistake, and just not be prescient) and have Joker taken out in a single turn before you can even act. Maybe difficulties above Normal aren't the intended way to play or supposed to be balanced, but Hard feels balanced in every other way to me, more so than Normal does (which is honestly kind of a pushover if you've ever played an SMT or Persona game before). I really like playing on Hard 90% of the time and usually when a boss kills me it was my fault, but there are just those bullshit moments that would be avoided if Makoto could be bothered to toss a Revival Bead at her boyfriend.

Like, there was a time in the fifth Palace where a miniboss got to go first, scored a crit on Joker, then hit him again and he died. There was nothing I could've done unless I knew ahead of time what kind of attacks that enemy used and went in with a Persona that resisted/nulled those, and I don't think a game should ever require foreknowledge like that to avoid a game over, y'know?

One thing that sticks out is that, thanks to their social links, every party member except for Joker has some layer of "bullshit protection" with their Endure abilities. It's possible to have a situation where an enemy does an attack that hits the whole party, crits everyone for 500 damage, and everyone survives with 1 HP except Joker because he can't Endure but everyone else can. (That's amazingly unlikely, but it's possible and oh man would I be pissed if it happened.)

Raxivace posted:

It's not a huge issue for me but I wouldn't mind seeing it gone, or done in a more interesting way (Like maybe if Joker dies you have a brief amount of time to revive him before you get the game over).

That'd be a perfectly fine compromise, if you ask me. I don't mind a "rush to revive/win the fight" thing if Joker goes down. Really, just something to prevent those "what the gently caress, I was on full HP and died in one turn and the last safe room was ages ago gently caress" situations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

That's pretty slimy in both the creeping on women that aren't interested and being a false person ways

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She's his only friend.
I'm not sure I'd go that far. She's more like the protagonist to his Mishima.

Which makes me realise: It's a crime that the protagonist's canonical name doesn't start with 'S'.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seta Souji was a better name than Yu Narukami

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Harrow posted:

Like, there was a time in the fifth Palace where a miniboss got to go first, scored a crit on Joker, then hit him again and he died. There was nothing I could've done unless I knew ahead of time what kind of attacks that enemy used and went in with a Persona that resisted/nulled those, and I don't think a game should ever require foreknowledge like that to avoid a game over, y'know?
I had a similar moment in the sixth palace where the miniboss got to go first, hit a Garudyne on Joker to score a knockdown because my equipped persona was weak to wind, and finished him off with another Garudyne. That was such ridiculous bullshit I couldn't even get angry about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

I might have misread his VO, but every time he spoke it made my skin crawl, yeah.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Jesus Yusuke, you never touch another person's S.H. Figuarts!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IV and Apocalypse got rid of the "game over if MC dies" thing, so there's no real reason for it to stick around. Granted, you're still dependent on what skills your demons have and you can't summon new ones if they get killed, but that's the same deal in Persona.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm curious: what did everyone name Joker?

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ross Perowned posted:

You do if you're making them do the Ginyu Force pose

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Doc Morbid posted:

I literally just bought this cactus. Nice description P5, very useful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Harrow posted:

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan

I generally name my Persona MCs after the first MC.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ross Perowned posted:

But if he didn't do that, he couldn't make them emulate the Ginyu Force!

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

One thing that sticks out is that, thanks to their social links, every party member except for Joker has some layer of "bullshit protection" with their Endure abilities. It's possible to have a situation where an enemy does an attack that hits the whole party, crits everyone for 500 damage, and everyone survives with 1 HP except Joker because he can't Endure but everyone else can. (That's amazingly unlikely, but it's possible and oh man would I be pissed if it happened.)

Joker can get that ability through accessories and Persona, though I do agree it's kind of strange that your party becomes insulated from damage over time and Joker doesn't. I actually had him on a mostly support role in the endgame as a result.

I think this game's Normal difficulty is actually perfect for what it should be. This game has the most hype and mainstream attention as any in the series has gotten, so it's going to be played by more people than ever (hopefully) including those with no experience of these systems. To make the default setting be true SMT-tough would be unwise for this title. In general, Persona 3 and Persona 4 had relatively "easy" campaigns by SMT standards; both of those games added bonus content that gave some meatier challenges, with P3P adding a ton of awesome super tough bonus bosses. Persona 5 really wants for some kind of hardcore deep dungeon high-exp, high-danger zone like what Persona 3 had, and not locked off behind New Game plus either.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

Takemi loves the cactus. It was the first gift I gave to anyone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

At this point I generally name my Persona protagonists after previous Persona or SMT characters, which is how my Joker became a distant relative of the Kuzunoha clan.
I'm loving terrible with names in these games so I usually just pick random ones from anime I've seen recently.

My Joker ended up as Subaru Ichijyo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Harrow posted:

He's a teenager that happens to be a phantom thief, a Phantom Thief Kid if you will, so I went with the only real option: Kaito Kuroba