Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't be the kind of crazy person who tries to do every part/sidequest in a Persona or Tales game on your first playthrough. It's never worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah that's a way to end up just hating the game.

It's like reading a walkthrough for a game that's literally "Okay now turn left. Pick up this item. Turn right. Move forward until you can turn right. Open the door." and following it step by excruciating step.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RareAcumen posted:

Don't be the kind of crazy person who tries to do every part/sidequest in a Persona or Tales game on your first playthrough. It's never worth it.

I co-oped Tales of Vesperia with my brother and on NG+ he printed out a huge gently caress-off document on all the side quests. We got through like half.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I co-oped Tales of Vesperia with my brother and on NG+ he printed out a huge gently caress-off document on all the side quests. We got through like half.

I did that on my own and I had fun with it. But the difference is that when I did it it was spread out over like 5 playthroughs of the game and I kept taking my overpowered endgame armor along too. So the replays were very short and lucrative since I never sold weapons because of all the great skills.

Despite that, the only game I've ever 100% was some DS Kirby game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RareAcumen posted:

I did that on my own and I had fun with it. But the difference is that when I did it it was spread out over like 5 playthroughs of the game and I kept taking my overpowered endgame armor along too. So the replays were very short and lucrative since I never sold weapons because of all the great skills.

Despite that, the only game I've ever 100% was some DS Kirby game.

Oh it was a lot of fun and we enjoyed it but there's just so much obscure and random stuff to do.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Screaming Idiot posted:

Anything longer than WoW quest text has Bibs frothing and twitching on the floor, so maybe I oughtta be more understanding.

Hard to call people brokebrained when you can't come up with an analogy that doesn't involve world of warcraft

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Hard to call people brokebrained when you can't come up with an analogy that doesn't involve world of warcraft

Bibs plays WoW too and is equally annoying in that forum.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Yardbomb posted:

Bibs plays WoW too and is equally annoying in that forum.

I've seen his posts in the IMM thread. It's safe to assume he's consistently stubborn wherever he posts.

The problem is that he's aware everyone hates his opinions and posts away while entire threads fall over themselves trying to own the guy who can't eat a hotdog.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm currently getting into the end game gathering for FF14. To access the higher end materials you of course need higher stats which you get from higher leveled gear. Makes sense right?

So the problem: You would think with these higher stats it'd be easier to get the lower leveled stuff right? Haha, no. There is a cap, they cap your gathering rate and your collectability rate. If they didn't, then the formula is so crazy on the high end that you need a shitload of stats to get a single point increase. This item I'm trying to gather has a 95% chance to collect, it had that rate when I was wearing level 58 gear and it still has that rate wearing the 3rd best gathering gear. When it comes to collectability it still accrues at the same rate as it did 40 item levels ago. I don't feel like I'm actually advancing in gathering, I just feel like I can collect a handful of extra items and thats it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

The problem is that he's aware everyone hates his opinions and posts away while entire threads fall over themselves trying to own the guy who can't eat a hotdog.

Especially when they are doing it for really silly reasons. Why defend the "honor" of Planescape Torment, of all games? :iiam:

Unrelated, the #1 annoying me about Animal Crossing is that nothing auto-stacks in my inventory. If I'm going around picking every cherry off every tree, having to go into my inventory to make a stack of 9 every other tree is annoying as poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MisterBibs posted:

Why defend the "honor" of Planescape Torment, of all games? :iiam:

Choke on a wiener, hotdog or otherwise.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, the #1 annoying me about Animal Crossing is that nothing auto-stacks in my inventory. If I'm going around picking every cherry off every tree, having to go into my inventory to make a stack of 9 every other tree is annoying as poo poo.

Oh jesus, tell me about it. The easiest way to make bank early on is to shake all the trees daily and catch the bees. Problem is, cash, bugs and beehives don't stack, so you have to make sure you have enough space before you go shaking that next tree, or you're going to get stung.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Poulpe posted:

Persona 5 in general is pretty regressive in that regard, yeah.

They spend all of this time and effort in the first dungeon drilling into your head how horrible the volleyball coach is, abusing students and sexually harassing high school students, and then almost use that as a free pass to go HEY CHECK OUT THIS 16 YEAR OLD'S VAGINA ANY TIME IT'S HER TURN!

And then on top of that the protagonist is hit on by older women (which is totally awesome right,) the girls are totally perved on all the time in-plot, and the queer people they felt the need to include for some reason are obnoxiously stereotyped.

It's all just very tone deaf, and blatantly pandering to a particularly myopic brand of young straight guy. It's especially unfortunate as it flies in the face of the "outcasts coming together to defeat injustice" theming the game is trying to present.

I havent played 5 but I thought this was a huge problem with P4, or whichever one had the fat girl and the horny middle aged female teacher. People don't just boil down to cruel stereotypes, kids! As Walt Whitman said, they contain multitudes. Anyway here are two of the types of women it's OK to be mean to in Japan

I think Persona is aimed at the same age cohort as like YA literature, Hunger Games type of stuff, which in general has a problem with pushing a message really hard but then undermining it by the stereotypical, tropey entertainment that delivers it. I kind of missed the age cutoff on that but I imagine my 14 year old self seeing, for example, Divergent, and i'm like wow I would have learned a terrible lesson from that

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MisterBibs posted:

Especially when they are doing it for really silly reasons. Why defend the "honor" of Planescape Torment, of all games? :iiam:

Why continue to post things you know will attract more negative attention?

What the gently caress happened with the PC port of Dark Souls? I ran it for the first time since the steamworks update and the resolution is locked to a portion of my screen even though the hud looks perfectly fine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

Why continue to post things you know will attract more negative attention?

What the gently caress happened with the PC port of Dark Souls? I ran it for the first time since the steamworks update and the resolution is locked to a portion of my screen even though the hud looks perfectly fine.

That's a problem with DSfix, turn off AA and blur in the game's menu.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Dammit, Persona 5, if you're not going to let me do anything at night, just send me straight to bed!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

oh man. quoting this for posterity

I think I'm just not a big fan of the lyrics, the Japanese version is 100% better.

Just started the C/D path and it's really really good, like holy poo poo. I'm hoping the virus thing doesn't mean I have to play as 9S some more because I am very sick of his moveset, but I got punched into the ruins cave while 2B was stumbling about and couldn't get the ladder or anything so wellp. IDK if that's supposed to happen or if I had to make it to the quest marker but I was looking for a good time to break for lunch anyway.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Leavemywife posted:

Dammit, Persona 5, if you're not going to let me do anything at night, just send me straight to bed!

Let's not do this tonight.

loving cat :argh:

Oxxidation posted:

Persona 5 does actually give you nearly enough time to do everything in the first go, but it requires you to exploit mechanics you'd have no idea existed without a guide. The Fortune and Temperance links are crucial for freeing up your schedule and you probably can't complete the dungeons in a timely manner without the goodies from the Death link's SP-boosting accessories. Then there's the fact that nearly half the links boost your stats as well, so if you spent all your time grinding up a particular stat on the side-activities instead then that's wasted points. And over it all, the face of That loving Cat and its demands for excessive slumber looms large.

I'm actually doing it now using a walkthrough I found on GameFAQs. I actually think it's quite chill, since I can just sit back and watch the animes without having to worry about whether seeing Waifu 1 instead of Waifu 2 wil mean I runout of time in the future. Also, I'm not sure I'll ever do a 2nd playthrough since most Persona games take 100+ hours to clear.

Clearing the dungeons in a single run was initially pretty brutal, since I did the first 2 just with consumables, but now I have the 50k invigorate 3 thing from Dr Death it's actually fairly doable too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
More of a console thing, but I hate when manufacturers don't put symbols on their buttons/hide the buttons entirely as they are trying to look "Sleek". PS4 could use a label so you can remember which button turns the console off/on and which one releases the disk, as I am sometimes getting them mixed up. The WiiU has nice bold buttons that tell you what they do so basic things are just easier on that console.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

More of a console thing, but I hate when manufacturers don't put symbols on their buttons/hide the buttons entirely as they are trying to look "Sleek". PS4 could use a label so you can remember which button turns the console off/on and which one releases the disk, as I am sometimes getting them mixed up. The WiiU has nice bold buttons that tell you what they do so basic things are just easier on that console.
The PS4's power and eject buttons are really bad design.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I felt like a complete fool when I had to fire up google to figure out how to turn my PS4 on. I also miss when consoles weren't trying to be pseudo-PCs and you could just loving switch one off

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I felt like a complete fool when I had to fire up google to figure out how to turn my PS4 on. I also miss when consoles weren't trying to be pseudo-PCs and you could just loving switch one off

You know you can just turn it on with your controller, right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kay Kessler posted:

You know you can just turn it on with your controller, right?

The ps4's hardware is a piece of poo poo that very often needs to be rebooted or hard shut down or turned on in safe mode and you need to press the power button on the console to do that

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I do know I can turn it on with the controller, but I think when I first got it the controller wasn't charged or needed to be synced up to it or something, and I had to turn it on at the console itself and the instruction manual looked like this

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

The ps4's hardware is a piece of poo poo that very often needs to be rebooted or hard shut down or turned on in safe mode and you need to press the power button on the console to do that

I've had mine for a couple years now and haven't had to do that yet. My anecdotal evidence proves you're wrong :smug:

But yeah gonna jump on the side of I couldn't figure out how to turn the fucker on day 1.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Leavemywife posted:

A week from now when the protagonist gets killed from a lucky Mudo and you get shunted to the Game Over screen you'll be kicking yourself for not saving every time you're in LeBlanc. That's what that time is for.

Calaveron posted:

lol are you cramming pennies in the disk drive or what, I've never even heard of anything like this

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I only get confused when I need to eject the disc, but then I just sort of poke it all over the place until it comes out :shobon:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gerblyn posted:

I only get confused [...] but then I just sort of poke it all over the place until it comes out :shobon:
:mrgw:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

food court bailiff posted:

A week from now when the protagonist gets killed from a lucky Mudo and you get shunted to the Game Over screen you'll be kicking yourself for not saving every time you're in LeBlanc. That's what that time is for.

lol are you cramming pennies in the disk drive or what, I've never even heard of anything like this

That's what I take those times as. It's the "shits gonna happen and it might take hours. Strap in and save now."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

2house2fly posted:

PS4's rest mode is fantastic, because it'll download and install updates as it rests. I strongly recommend it. The only time I shut off my PS4 is if I'm using the PSVR headset, because resting can make it buggy.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Calaveron posted:

food court bailiff posted:

My PS4 is a refurbished second-hand one, I have either hard drive issues that require fixing in Safe Mode or the console just randomly spitting out the disc without me touching it pretty frequently :confused: I have no idea why

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm never actually sure whether I've powered my Wii U off or if it's just gone to sleep, but I'm very stupid

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The difficulty in Nier: Automata is completely wonky, and flat out not fun on any level. Normal i could probably play without looking at the screen, Hard is an exercise in frustration.

Hard just ups the enemy damage by two, sometimes feels like even 3 times. Which means hits that barely annoy you on Normal will take off two thirds of your health on Hard. I just had a bossfight where, on Hard, I was chugging health potions after ever hit, sometimes having to use them between the hits of his grab attack to stay alive.

On Normal mode, my "heal yourself for 10% of damage dealt" upgrade meant that I needed no items in the whole fight at all.

There's also the issue of lock-on - hard-mode takes it away from you. Which renders your ranged weapons practically useless, as you can't aim, dodge, stab and shoot multiple enemies at once like you can in Normal. Swarms of flying enemies are near impossible on Hard because 90% of your shoots are gonna go wild.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

My PS4 is a refurbished second-hand one, I have either hard drive issues that require fixing in Safe Mode or the console just randomly spitting out the disc without me touching it pretty frequently :confused: I have no idea why

Throw a cheap big HDD in there to fix the hard drive problems, I have no idea what would make it spit out the disc though.

I'm not far in P5, just finished the second Palace, but by god I hate all the characters so far. There's the brash idiot, the mopey sexpot, and the aloof douchebag, all led by the most annoying cat in existence.

E: I feel like I should go into detail on why Morgana sucks when Teddie was great. As annoying as Teddie was, he was in the characters' corner from the start. He is nearly as lost and confused as they are in the TV world, and is completely oblivious to the ways of the real world. Morgana, on the other hand, is absolutely goddamn convinced that he knows everything about the Metaverse (despite never successfully stealing a Treasure before) and sure as poo poo doesn't let you forget it. Add to that the never-ending condescension during battles ("Skull, you're pathetic." "Panther, you've got to watch them!" Shut up, you loving cat, your damage output is awful) and it's just a really grating experience overall.

It's gotten very slightly better as the game has progressed a bit but seriously, someone that small and eminently puntable should not run their drat mouth so much.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The difficulty in Nier: Automata is completely wonky, and flat out not fun on any level. Normal i could probably play without looking at the screen, Hard is an exercise in frustration.

Hard just ups the enemy damage by two, sometimes feels like even 3 times. Which means hits that barely annoy you on Normal will take off two thirds of your health on Hard. I just had a bossfight where, on Hard, I was chugging health potions after ever hit, sometimes having to use them between the hits of his grab attack to stay alive.

On Normal mode, my "heal yourself for 10% of damage dealt" upgrade meant that I needed no items in the whole fight at all.

There's also the issue of lock-on - hard-mode takes it away from you. Which renders your ranged weapons practically useless, as you can't aim, dodge, stab and shoot multiple enemies at once like you can in Normal. Swarms of flying enemies are near impossible on Hard because 90% of your shoots are gonna go wild.
yeah it's really weird. Normal is far too easy but there should be a difficulty between it and Hard, and there's absolutely no reason to take lock-on away because I don't even want to use it 90% of the time and the remaining 10% it's not because of difficulty, it's because not having it is loving annoying.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Removing lock on is such a weird design decision since it makes Nines' route annoying, but lock on can get wonky with which enemy you intended to target anyway.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

The really lovely part is they're not even buttons, just tiny areas on the console that you touch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You don't get anything from playing on Hard so I'm surprised how many people are doing it regardless.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RareAcumen posted:

You don't get anything from playing on Hard so I'm surprised how many people are doing it regardless.

The point of difficulty levels is finding a level of challenge that fits your skill/patience. If normal is too easy but hard wrecks you it can be very unsatisfying either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's not too hard, just balanced weirdly. Normal is far too easy. So Hard it is.