Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I will say as much as I love Mike they've concentrated on him a little too much.

It's not that I don't like his scenes, just it seems like at this point it's more "Better Call Saul and Mike" than anything. And I still like that, just, yeah.. I was really going in expecting much more Jimmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barreft posted:

I will say as much as I love Mike they've concentrated on him a little too much.

It's not that I don't like his scenes, just it seems like at this point it's more "Better Call Saul and Mike" than anything. And I still like that, just, yeah.. I was really going in expecting much more Jimmy.

I think the way they slammed on the brakes between the first and second seasons really shifted the balance. Later seasons were probably going to open up the supporting cast a bit no matter what, because that's what happens with most shows, but once Jimmy was basically stuck treading water for a lot of last season, the momentum for the show increasingly came from Mike and Friends in their own Breaking Bad prequel. Obviously the overwhelmingly positive reaction for the Mike episode in the first season had a lot to do with it too, but keeping Jimmy from progressing to a point where he'd need a fixer like Mike on a more regular basis is a big part of what kept them apart.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

I really can't stand all this "Jimmy becoming Saul" talk. Other than choosing to go by a different name Jimmy is the same character as Saul at a different point in his life.

Same, its similar to how some people talk about Walt and Heisenberg as if it's a Jekyll and Hyde thing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I have to agree I would like Mike's and Jimmy's stories to intersect a bit more. And with Gus in the picture now, I think we're going to start to see that happen more. Now, Breaking Bad already established that Saul never dealt directly with Gus in a real way--and while you could always retcon that as Saul lying to cover his rear end, I think that would end up ringing false. (For one thing, it always made sense that Gus would never have directly involved Saul in his operations. Saul obviously isn't the kind of guy Gus likes dealing with.)

But from his introductory episode in BB we already know Saul ends up getting into some shenanigans with the Juárez Cartel, which would involve him directly in plotlines involving Mike, Nacho, and Gus, even if Gus himself remains at a distance from him.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Same, its similar to how some people talk about Walt and Heisenberg as if it's a Jekyll and Hyde thing.

They're obviously not literal split personalities but Heisenberg and Saul are alter-egos of Walt and Jimmy respectively, and it's perfectly natural to talk about them in a literary, Jekyll-and-Hyde way. BCS is entirely about Jimmy "becoming" Saul, in the sense that he gives into his darker impulses and becomes something recognizably distinct from what he started out as.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 20, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

The "secret menu item" is Christmas except it's not a secret at all. But it makes the locals feel special.

Edit: also, there is a Pablo Escobar quote on the underside of the small soda.

Pretty sure it's "Franch" dipping sauce.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm honestly more excited to see the show introduce Lalo than in seeing Gus. A so-far unseen cartel bigwig who Jimmy and Nacho pull one over on, leaving Jimmy looking over his shoulder all the way into the BB era? Gimme that storyline, Vince.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty sure it's "Franch" dipping sauce.

It's a beloved regional chain that started in Irvine Albuquerque.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I'm 100% sure Jimmy ordered a breakfast burrito. To be a restaurant in Albuquerque it's practically required by law that you serve breakfast burritos, especially fast food restaurants.

He ordered a "Pollos Classic." Given the little background we know about the restaurant (it started out selling Gus' lover's chicken recipe from Chile) that's probably just a piece of fried chicken. One thigh or whatever and a coffee could reasonably cost 3 bucks in 2002.

Help Im Alive posted:

I think it makes for a more powerful villain if the chicken is bad

I think it makes for a more powerful villain if the chicken is good. Like "of course it's good, Mr. Bond. One cannot build an empire upon mediocrity. There is no pursuit I choose in which I do not excel."

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It just seems to me like a place like Albuquerque probably has 3 dozen really great and cheap local mexican/southern breakfast places for every one lovely chicken restaurant so Pollos must be really good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It just seems to me like a place like Albuquerque probably has 3 dozen really great and cheap local mexican/southern breakfast places for every one lovely chicken restaurant so Pollos must be really good.

Pollos Hermanos started out as one of those really great and cheap "mexican" (Chilean) places, and from the maps we see in BB five years later they have like 20 or so locations across four states. That's not too many places for the quality to remain high, especially with a perfectionist like Gus at the helm.

I think it's good chicken.

e: Making a Pollos Hermanos food truck to drive around selling some interpretation of Chilean fried chicken would be an awesome marketing move

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Any word on how long this show is planned to go? They have to work towards an ending eventually.

Unless they start doing plot about stuff that was going on in Breaking Bad when Saul was offscreen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Good episode

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

sticklefifer posted:

Any word on how long this show is planned to go? They have to work towards an ending eventually.

Unless they start doing plot about stuff that was going on in Breaking Bad when Saul was offscreen.

jesse pinkman knew about saul but it was never explained how or why. maybe we get to meet jesse pinkman in high school and also see a healthy and not drug kingpin walter white.

but maybe i'm jumping the shark here

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I doubt it; Aaron Paul hasn't got any younger...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Gus looked like he's put on weight

sout
Apr 24, 2014

TBeats posted:

jesse pinkman knew about saul but it was never explained how or why.

I'm pretty sure the connection was through Badger, right?
e: maybe I'm getting this the wrong way round

sout fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 20, 2017

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

vague memory of Jesse saying his cousin used him

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Aaron Paul is way too old to show up. It would be like when that 40 year old teenager shows up in Fast 7.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Cojawfee posted:

Aaron Paul is way too old to show up. It would be like when that 40 year old teenager shows up in Fast 7.

Oh you mean the best part of that film

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lucas Black simply lived so fast and so furiously that he began to age unnaturally quickly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sticklefifer posted:

They have not said anything about number of seasons. Remember that BB got cut short because AMC was cheaping out. What should have been two final seasons of BB were just one that was split into two.

I believe AMC also pulled that with Mad Men.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For those looking for more Bob Odenkirk, I would like to recommend a show he was an executive producer for, Tom goes to the Mayor. It's a show about a guy named Tom who goes to the Mayor with good intentions for which the Major usually took advantage of.

Just in case no one has seen it, I would like to talk about two of my favorite episodes.
In Boy Meets Mayor, The Mayor needs a PR man, and wouldn't you know it, Tom is that PR man. In order to distract the furor over the Mayor's scandal, Tom, the Mayor and the sickly son of a local sandalmaker, Mr. Sandalman (played by Bob Odenkirk) take to a hot-air balloon and attempt to break a hot-air balloon record previously held by Sandalman.

In Bass Fest, after Tom's adult school field trip reveals cracks in the Richardson Family Dam. Tom goes on a mission to halt the upcoming Jefferton Bass Fest. With The Mayor, bass musician Wizzard( Bob Odenkirk ), Joy and his children standing in the way, Tom launches a protest canoe to warn the town.

I believe you can watch all the episodes for free on the Adult Swim website, http://www.adultswim.com/videos/tom-goes-to-the-mayor.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 20, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have not said anything about number of seasons. Remember that BB got cut short because AMC was cheaping out. What should have been two final seasons of BB were just one that was split into two.

I believe AMC also pulled that with Mad Men.

From what I understand, it's the exact opposite. AMC only cared about the bottom line, and forced Weiner and Gilligan to extend their shows beyond what they'd have preferred to do, while adding in a false split in the middle of their seasons. IIRC, Shawn Ryan (The Shield) went to twitter to complain, along with a few others.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TGttM is good poo poo.

I highly appreciate the absolute gleeful absurdity of the plot details, like the balloon race in which every character's motivation is completely inscrutable and ever-changing and there is literally no reason for anything to happen the way it does except that it's funny. How do balloons do "laps"? Why does the Sandleman forget that the race benefits his son and he asked for it in the first place? Why do they throw the kid out when throwing a shoe has a much greater effect on the outcome? It's all just so nonsensical, it's like the exact opposite of a show like BB or BCS.

And Odenkirk's dumb accents are hilariously / intentionally inept.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Data Graham posted:

TGttM is good poo poo.

I highly appreciate the absolute gleeful absurdity of the plot details, like the balloon race in which every character's motivation is completely inscrutable and ever-changing and there is literally no reason for anything to happen the way it does except that it's funny. How do balloons do "laps"? Why does the Sandleman forget that the race benefits his son and he asked for it in the first place? Why do they throw the kid out when throwing a shoe has a much greater effect on the outcome? It's all just so nonsensical, it's like the exact opposite of a show like BB or BCS.

And Odenkirk's dumb accents are hilariously / intentionally inept.
All of Tim and Eric's shows are like that, yeah

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Jonathan Banks is 70, and nobody else is getting any younger either, so I hope they don't try to stretch it out too long. We're a few years away from the show turning into a parody like Wet Hot American Summer.

drat, I just noticed that the worst rating before this season was 1.93, and this season has been 1.81 and 1.48 so far. Guess that Gus Fring ad campaign didn't do as much for people as they'd hoped.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 20, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Data Graham posted:

The way Don Eladio says pollo tan picoso makes me really wanna try that spicy chicken.

Everything Don Eladio said was great, I wanted to drink that tequila so badly after he talked about it

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!
Maybe we'll get Tortuga back somehow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Listening to the podcast, I was reminded of the scene of that bridge or whatever with the runoffs under it. It looked like a miniature. Pretty cool.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Listening to the podcast, I was reminded of the scene of that bridge or whatever with the runoffs under it. It looked like a miniature. Pretty cool.

I thought they were waaaaay too steep to climb but the he did it and I was like whoa

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cojawfee posted:

We know Mike doesn't look younger than he did 10 years ago on Breaking Bad. We just have to suspend disbelief for it. We could do that for Aaron if it made sense for him to show up. Unfortunately, it doesn't. He never met Saul or Mike before BB.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

We know Mike doesn't look younger than he did 10 years ago on Breaking Bad. We just have to suspend disbelief for it. We could do that for Aaron if it made sense for him to show up. Unfortunately, it doesn't. He never met Saul or Mike before BB.

I'm sure he got stoned and bought some chicken at some point

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think a "Listen bitch, I want the breakfast combo. I don't care it's after 10, I want the drat breakfast burritos" or something in the background would be a sufficient. So we could get a "OH poo poo IT'S JESSE!" moment but they don't have to try the deaging that didn't work for Jimmy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I think a "Listen bitch, I want the breakfast combo. I don't care it's after 10, I want the drat breakfast burritos" or something in the background would be a sufficient. So we could get a "OH poo poo IT'S JESSE!" moment but they don't have to try the deaging that didn't work for Jimmy.

Only if Will Arnett also gets to be in the scene.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I am totally fine with never seeing Jesse Pinkman or Walter White in this series.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I am totally fine with never seeing Jesse Pinkman or Walter White in this series.

Same. Despite its problems, this is a good show and shouldn't need to rely on fan service from a better show every five seconds.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I think you're just a bigot against people with colours in their surname, you surname racist you.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
What if Jimmy goes to jail and meets Kuby and/or Huell

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What if Ted becomes one of Kim's clients after Kim strikes up a friendship with Skyler? Junior can be heard asking about breakfast in the background.

Edit: Maybe the case Kim could help Ted with would be a slip and fall? Nice foreshadowing!

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I mean there might have been a period inbetween BCS and Breaking Bad where Walt was a...ketamine? kingpin

we don't know

• Locked thread