Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao if your source control system is even available to use outside your organization

just lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i downloaded a FOSSIL driver and wrote Gob's Program for one of the yosbbs incarnations if that helps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've been in a class for test driven development all week, like learning to use mstest, nunit, and general TDD paradigms and stuff

I've absorbed nothing despite everyone claiming this has been a great course

I must be stupid in addition to terrible :(

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

HoboMan posted:

i tried to do this but eventually i was forced to give up and dehumanize myself and face to node

:smith: ok

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have no interest in further attempting to understand or fix this mongo schema but unfortunately i have to

remember: when interviewing at a company, always remember to ask what database technology they're using.

ha yeah I made this mistake. Although, I just recently got promoted to a team using postgres and got out of mysql hell. Oh but woops now I gotta do all this frontend poo poo fml

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

RHEL disables SystemD/User because even upstream think it is not stable and they will not revisit till v8. That forces me to look at all the other really lovely alternatives because <insert lame reasons here>.

I did find this though, looks swishy:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

yo, who has permission to break the rcs lock on this topic? i want to change it

just cd to wherever you mounted the repo and rm the cvslock file

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Finster Dexter posted:

I will of course rebase and squash all of my posts so that they all appear as a single post at the end of the thread.

it's me

I'm the post rebaser

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

redleader posted:

oh, it's not that bad

svn is still garbage, mostly because the ecosystem around git is so much bigger

comedy option: fossil

VikingofRock posted:

I'm still dancing in the darcs

nobody even remembers veracity

so much promise, so little use

:rip:

(also don't forget bzr)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

has anyone tried to reimplement git using node.js yet

also I'd imagine blockchains would be involved

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

mongo schema

I thought mongo was nosql

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

has anyone tried to reimplement git using node.js yet

also I'd imagine blockchains would be involved

https://github.com/christkv/node-git

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

I thought mongo was nosql
it is. unlike sql where you always define schema in advance, in mongo you can just yolo poo poo and pray

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
and if you use it for a while, it turns into NoData

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I am satisfied with git, but Im a terrible programmer and the way I use is basically: git add -A, git commit -m ""stuff", git push origin branchname, everytime. That and the occasional branching and merging

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

St Evan Echoes posted:

using svn

*moves a single file to another directory*

all revision history is lost. 4000 tree conflicts appear. in the distance, sirens.

this happens to me every single time because i forget to do it as create copy ->check in -> delete original -> check in or whatever it is that unfucks it

edit: or am i thinking of renaming a file?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elias_Maluco posted:

I am satisfied with git, but Im a terrible programmer and the way I use is basically: git add -A, git commit -m ""stuff", git push origin branchname, everytime. That and the occasional branching and merging

This is how svn is used too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

silvergoose posted:

yeah, I know. Thats why I do like that. Ive used svn for a lot of time before having top switch to git because it was what everybody else was using

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
remember that you can do git push origin HEAD instead of typing the branch name

it's probably slightly different in some way but it works for me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

and the result is, uh

https://soundcloud.com/luigi30/yospos

well I'm still working on it

that sounds like it would be a pretty sweet sample to use in the soundtrack of a 90s skating game.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this happens to me every single time because i forget to do it as create copy ->check in -> delete original -> check in or whatever it is that unfucks it

edit: or am i thinking of renaming a file?

yeah it's renaming a file that fucks everything up I just wanted to keep it close to that funy computer tweet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it is. unlike sql where you always define schema in advance, in mongo you can just yolo poo poo and pray

eat pray love sequel sounding kinda nihilistic

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Why are university CS programs so incompetent? I had to explain to a very smart grad from a prestigious CS program how an HTTP request works and what the browser does with it

Apparently the basic mechanics of modern communication are less important than memorizing loving bubblesort or whatever

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

because CS is a technical degree that focuses more on things like information theory than on the day to day minutiae

it's like complaining that someone with a degree in pure mathematics isn't a very good accountant

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it sounds like you're complaining that computer science and computer programming are different things, and yeah they are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sweevo posted:

because CS is a technical degree that focuses more on things like information theory than on the day to day minutiae

it's like complaining that someone with a degree in pure mathematics isn't a very good accountant

more specifically, cs is an academic, rather than a professional degree. they learn to learn, understand, and build upon concepts, rather than to apply them in real world scenarios

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

MrMoo posted:

RHEL disables SystemD/User because even upstream think it is not stable and they will not revisit till v8. That forces me to look at all the other really lovely alternatives because <insert lame reasons here>.

and well before upstart was abandoned it had a similar feature working yet suddenly removed it.

at least there's crontab @reboot :toot:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why are you running system services using an instance of the service manager intended for interactive users

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

actually i don't know what you're thinking of doing, if it's just redux then you can probably get away with a min.js
the reason we went full webdev is mostly because were were staring from scratch. also the only reason we have node is for npm which is needed to use a lot of js garbage because js packages are like only one function each so gently caress managing that

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Sweevo posted:

this would perhaps be a useful analogy if a pure mathematics degree was a de facto requirement for many/most accounting positions

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

HoboMan posted:

also the only reason we have node is for npm which is needed to use a lot of js garbage because js packages are like only one function each so gently caress managing that

use yarn, it has offline mirroring so you don't have to download 150MB of dependencies to get a hello world app running

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

facebook's blog post annoucing yarn posted:

[our] package.json currently lists just 68 dependencies, but after running npm install the node_modules directory contains 121,358 files

lol

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

That's probably like 300mb too :eyepop:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

silvergoose posted:

nah svn has a few more steps in there like when an update breaks because you had a file open and instead of prompting you to close it or unwinding its state it instead corrupts itself and prompts you to clean it up, but then cleaning it up fails for some reason and prompts you to clean up, goto 10, and the most widely documented fix is to open up the sqlite data base and delete a table

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

svn is bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LinYutang posted:

this would perhaps be a useful analogy if a pure mathematics degree was a de facto requirement for many/most accounting positions

almost like business latched onto the closest degree they could find so they could slap something as a hard requirement on all positions in order to turn colleges into no-cost job training for the company instead of providing on the job training

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

svn is bad

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

That's probably like 300mb too :eyepop:

yeah, node_modules gets huge. which sucks because checking it all in would be the sensible way to avoid whatever the next npm fiasco ends up being.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

actually learning theory is good for doing things in practice

inflexible college degree requirements are bad, but going to school is, generally speaking, good at making you slightly less of a TP

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

docker is now called Moby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

why are you running system services using an instance of the service manager intended for interactive users

the problem is things that aren't system services. to run a user program in the background you either have to set it up as a 'system' service or you have to hack together your own process management and miss out on the benefits of a central full-featured manager

• Locked thread