Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Probably gonna spend an Audible credit on it tomorrow.

oh its on audible? good i don think I could deal with reading that prose straightup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zas posted:

oh its on audible? good i don think I could deal with reading that prose straightup

Yeah, I checked when someone posted the Amazon link. I also have Collision 2012. Jeffrey Kafer was really good narrating that one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You do have to be careful with the stories because a lot of them are anonymous side swipes at each other. I think most of the stories are true, but the people involved may be switched around.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

You do have to be careful with the stories because a lot of them are anonymous side swipes at each other. I think most of the stories are true, but the people involved may be switched around.

If anything, this is more of an indictment of how hosed things were, because all of the interviews were taken before the election. These were people who thought she had in in the bag when they gave these comments.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Panzeh posted:

The authors focus on making GBS threads on the Clintons, Robby Mook, and Huma Abedin because they're dead-enders, and they don't need to worry about future access to them.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/JStein_Vox/status/854911248135327745

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sometimes it really does feel like the Democrats are trying to play 4D chess when all they need to do is win at checkers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

That is literally the most infuriating thing I've ever from the entire election.

"Our message on the economy is absolute poo poo, so CLEARLY the way to deal with that is to make sure that nobody in the Rust Belt knows that!:downs:"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus Christ how can anyone be this loving stupid!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

KomradeX posted:

Jesus Christ how can anyone be this loving stupid!

Comedy fact: We all (on this very board) asked the same goddamned thing 4 years ago, admittedly with amusement, about Romney's campaign in 2012.

This past election was mind bending in so many ways.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Comedy fact: We all (on this very board) asked the same goddamned thing 4 years ago, admittedly with amusement, about Romney's campaign in 2012.

This past election was mind bending in so many ways.

You're right, which makes this even more insane that they would make the same mistakes 4 years later.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, Romney unironically is probably more similar as a person to Hillary than he is to Trump.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ytlaya posted:

You know, Romney unironically is probably more similar as a person to Hillary than he is to Trump.

Well duh. they're both rich north eastern dynasty families.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Well even Obama said he agreed with Romney on 90 percent of things so there is that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Did Romney ever refer to blacks as "super predators"?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ytlaya posted:

I'd say if there's a famous personality in American politics that Hillary Clinton is closest to, it would be RIchard Nixon: both were "New Men/Women," in that they came from relatively humble backgrounds. Both ran (and lost) to patricians like Kennedy and Trump. Both operated in extremely insular, loyal, but out-of-touch circles. Both were overly secretive to their own peril. Neither was particularly ideological. Both were technocrats to the extreme. Neither was particularly charismatic, particularly in front of big crowds. I could go on.

I don't mean that as a slam against Clinton, either, because in spite of these similarities, I don't think she's anywhere near as devoid of ethics as Nixon was. Nor do I think she'd ever try anything as reckless as Watergate. But still, I see similarities.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary would never do something like found the EPA

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Thomas Frank's book "Listen Liberal" was mentioned earlier but I forgot to add that Frank's portrayal of Democratic governance in Massachusetts is probably the most accurate assessment I've seen to date.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

Hillary would never do something like found the EPA

Well, but there was a big push for an EPA among the public for years; it's not like Nixon created it out of strong, personal conviction. Clinton would probably have bowed to public pressure and done the right thing, if she were in his shoes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Did Romney ever refer to blacks as "super predators"?

There's so much irony in you pretending to support black people while calling them "blacks".

Also in pretending to support black people while still trying to bring up the super predators thing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

There's so much irony in you pretending to support black people while calling them "blacks".

I agree that one probably shouldn't call them "blacks."

quote:

Also in pretending to support black people while still trying to bring up the super predators thing.

I don't agree with this at all, though. Clinton backed a policy that turned out to be very bad for black people, and it took her way too long to recant it. She deserves to be judged negatively for it. The fact that leaders in the black community supported the crime bill at the time is only an indictment of those leaders' judgment.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Well, but there was a big push for an EPA among the public for years; it's not like Nixon created it out of strong, personal conviction. Clinton would probably have bowed to public pressure and done the right thing, if she were in his shoes.

Give me a break, the push for prosecuting Wall Street crooks and bank/mortgage reform was at least as hard as the push for an EPA, at least to my reading of the primary sources of the time. Obama didn't do and Clinton wouldn't either.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Thomas Frank's book "Listen Liberal" was mentioned earlier but I forgot to add that Frank's portrayal of Democratic governance in Massachusetts is probably the most accurate assessment I've seen to date.

What does he say about it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/855015900495458304

As eye roll inducing as the stereotypical stoner is, the Dems should run on this and run hard. Even the GOP is generally in favor of legalizing weed. Could help turn people out too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nevvy Z posted:

Superpredators is a shorthand for much more complex issues. Clinton is still in bed with private prisons, the beneficiaries of her past advocated policies, as well as the main party profiteering from the suffering and discrimination of black Americans.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So in unrelated speculation, I'm looking forwards to when Labour's defeat in June allows the right wing of that party to regain control of it and stop the ascent of the left in the broader Anglophone world. If anyone thought the third way centrists had peacefully acquisced to a soft left compromise I think they're in for a rude shock in the next year or two

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

KomradeX posted:

What does he say about it?

He says it has effectively been a test bed for the blue state model of governance and has produced an outcome that serves as a microcosm of national Democratic governance and it's outcomes.

More specifically he is referring to the orthodox Dem desire for a highly educated "innovator" class that lives and works in a well developed metropolitan area guiding the party, with the state level policy focus being primarily on them. Predictably, this has caused lots of development in and around Boston with accessory benefits to locals, but with much of the state rotting away by comparison.

On paper we look great, but once you look outside of Boston and some wealthy bedroom communities things aren't going so well. He specifically mentions Fall River as an example of this contrast, and oh boy was he right on that one.

Worse yet Frank seems to identify the population of Mass as a captive audience, things are largely Democratic with the occasional Republican surge but as far as ability to set policy there isn't that much in the way of the Dems beyond the leadership itself and problems of their own making. And still they usually can't manage.

AstheWorldWorlds fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

axeil posted:

As eye roll inducing as the stereotypical stoner is, the Dems should run on this and run hard. Even the GOP is generally in favor of legalizing weed. Could help turn people out too.

it'd also help a lot of black people since they make up a large share of marijuana convictions

the WoD in general is really poo poo for black people since it imprisons them the most and steals their property, even though white people are way more likely to use and sell

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

So in unrelated speculation, I'm looking forwards to when Labour's defeat in June allows the right wing of that party to regain control of it and stop the ascent of the left in the broader Anglophone world. If anyone thought the third way centrists had peacefully acquisced to a soft left compromise I think they're in for a rude shock in the next year or two

Isn't the Corbynista position that his terrible favorability numbers are due to backstabbing centrists?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

Isn't the Corbynista position that his terrible favorability numbers are due to backstabbing centrists?

it's a good position too

but this is the thread about dems, not the corbyn thread so please go to one of the uk threads if u wanna argue about corbyn being bad

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

axeil posted:

While, of course making it clear that the Democratic Party only supports massively popular policies despite the contempt it holds for the filthy commoners supporting them.

Seriously, this verges on pathology.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

axeil posted:

My state passed a legalization referendum. The Democrats have not only come out against it, they have attempted to postpone it, subvert it, and undo it.

They hate hate hate it, and many of them will still readily complain about how much contempt they hold the voters in for supporting it. I almost feel sometimes like many of them hate the idea of legal marijuana more than they hate Trump.

Even if they managed to grudgingly express support for it, I don't think anyone would believe they meant it at this point. They have already destroyed their credibility on drug topics over the last ten years among anyone who would support them over it because no one would actually believe they supported it (and based on my experience, expressions of support would be lies so that would be completely justified)

Of course you didn't help your case by loving leading with how annoying you find your stereotypes, as even the supportive Dems like to do, and that's why no one loving trusts them!

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 20, 2017

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

axeil posted:

Why would you trash the group you said you need for turn out in the exact same post. What is served by this? Pathology is 100% correct.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GlyphGryph posted:

My state passed a legalization referendum. The Democrats have not only come out against it, they have attempted to postpone it, subvert it, and undo it.

They hate hate hate it, and many of them will still readily complain about how much contempt they hold the voters in for supporting it. I almost feel sometimes like many of them hate the idea of legal marijuana more than they hate Trump.

Even if they managed to grudgingly express support for it, I don't think anyone would believe they meant it at this point. They have already destroyed their credibility on drug topics over the last ten years among anyone who would support them over it because no one would actually believe they supported it (and based on my experience, expressions of support would be lies so that would be completely justified)

How will they fill the prisons without a convenient scapegoat.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GlyphGryph posted:

you wanna take food out of their private prison buddies mouths? u don't want the cops to get a few tanks with money they stole from black people? why are you so racist?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Note that this isn't all Dems in the state obviously, some of them are great and genuine supporters. But it's definitely every Dem in the state that has a modicum of actual power or a leadership position in the state party lmao.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Condiv posted:

you wanna take food out of their private prison buddies mouths? u don't want the cops to get a few tanks with money they stole from black people? why are you so racist?

Lately some have been talking about how it would limit the ability of the police to do searches since they wouldn't be able to do so based on smelling weed.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GlyphGryph posted:

Lately some have been talking about how it would limit the ability of the police to do searches since they wouldn't be able to do so based on smelling weed.

you want to stop the police from getting the bad guy? maybe you got something to hide? :cop:

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Hello Massachusetts buddy. I agree the dem party of Massachusetts are useless, with some dems floating amendments to the bill ranging from contradictory (six plants but only two ounces of flower per household), to pure "what the gently caress" such as raising the legal age to 25 for cannabis products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

you want to stop the police from getting the bad guy? maybe you got something to hide? :cop:

Asset seizures matter

• Locked thread