Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The butterflies in p5 are Lavenza though.

Maybe the gold-eyed/white-haired attendants are all descendants/aspects of Philemon.

That's definitely getting into much more speculative territory though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just finished the game! Morgana disappearing for two months and then coming back like nothing happened is the most cat thing ever. Also, why didn't the crew bring Sojiro and Sae into Mementos for like five minutes so that Morgana could talk to them, if you told me there was I way that I could suddenly communicate with my cat like that I would be all over it (he wouldn't tell me "go to bed", he would tell me "no, don't get up").

On a more serious note, I feel like the game really stuck the ending. The way it transitioned into gnostic themes wasn't something that I saw coming, but in retrospect it's an escalation that makes absolutely perfect sense; the Demiurge is the ultimate example of the attitude that the Phantom Thieves are punishing. Good game, 10/10 would play again, Makoto is best.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
you summon satan who manifests a giant gun to blow a god's brains out. none of this "reveal the truth" or "accepting death" bs, you just headshot the fucker and get home in time for christmas

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

you summon satan who manifests a giant gun to blow a god's brains out. none of this "reveal the truth" or "accepting death" bs, you just headshot the fucker and get home in time for christmas

Then a couple of months later you go on a road trip and dunk on some cops. Good ending.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I just beat the game yesterday and I thought hard mode was extremely well balanced gameplay and storywise. The final boss that's ten times bigger than anything you've fought the entire game, Morgana calling you all a bunch of idiots for even thinking of fighting that thing, the battle music, the fact that I had to literally use every party member due to SP exhaustion and struggling at the end dumping all 20 mystery stews on Morgana until I literally had no resources and then finally pulling it off gives justification for all the boasting being done by the final boss.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Harrow posted:

I wish the non-romantic route option for Futaba was "because we're family" instead of "because we're teammates," because I sorta felt like their relationship was close enough to go beyond being just part of the same team even if it isn't romantic.

This game makes hefty and awkward use of the word "teammates" since the Japanese version makes heavy use of the word "Nakama".

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmZFAAHelQ

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
So I just cleared Sae's palace, and I haven't read the rest of this thread, so maybe I'm just being retarded, buuuuttttt

How the gently caress did your plan to fake your death actually work

Okay so you don't actually steal Sae's treasure, you just pretend like you do so: check. Palace won't crumble or disappear, so it exists in the Metaverse. Then you get captured by the cops that Akechi brought into the Metaverse to ambush you. First question: wouldn't that mean that you and the rest of the police would mysteriously phase into existence before the very eyes of anyone outside the courthouse? Just because the surroundings look normal in the Metaverse unless a Palace is manifested doesn't mean that the people in the real world can see into the Metaverse and vice-versa - to them, you and about a hundred cops would just shimmer into being like, 'Sup.

Okay whatever. Then you have Sae take your phone and show it to Akechi (?) to... activate the Meta Nav? I'm not sure why showing it to Akechi was important - couldn't they have just told her "hey, when you pass by Akechi, hit the weird-looking eyeball app icon"? From what I gather the point was to move Akechi (and, as a consequence, Sae) back into the Metaverse, so that Akechi would only kill the cognitive idea of the MC that Sae had in her head, without Akechi actually realizing what was going on. Because it was in the Metaverse but not actually in Sae's palace, no clothes-changing occurred to tip him off. And when he shot and killed you and the guard, you were just cognitive duplicates and obviously not genuine.

I think??? that's what was said to me in the massive exposition dump, Ocean's Eleven style

Also, for a game with normally very sharp writing and a tight narrative, the entire loving conversation between Akechi and Shido was awful, literally "as you know, <iterates every detail of evil plan>" "ahaha, oh yes, and do you recall how <elaborates on poo poo the other party already knows as well>?" Just real clunky and goofy sounding, I wonder if it was that terrible in the original Japanese

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

So I just cleared Sae's palace, and I haven't read the rest of this thread, so maybe I'm just being retarded, buuuuttttt

How the gently caress did your plan to fake your death actually work

Okay so you don't actually steal Sae's treasure, you just pretend like you do so: check. Palace won't crumble or disappear, so it exists in the Metaverse. Then you get captured by the cops that Akechi brought into the Metaverse to ambush you. First question: wouldn't that mean that you and the rest of the police would mysteriously phase into existence before the very eyes of anyone outside the courthouse? Just because the surroundings look normal in the Metaverse unless a Palace is manifested doesn't mean that the people in the real world can see into the Metaverse and vice-versa - to them, you and about a hundred cops would just shimmer into being like, 'Sup.

Okay whatever. Then you have Sae take your phone and show it to Akechi (?) to... activate the Meta Nav? I'm not sure why showing it to Akechi was important - couldn't they have just told her "hey, when you pass by Akechi, hit the weird-looking eyeball app icon"? From what I gather the point was to move Akechi (and, as a consequence, Sae) back into the Metaverse, so that Akechi would only kill the cognitive idea of the MC that Sae had in her head, without Akechi actually realizing what was going on. Because it was in the Metaverse but not actually in Sae's palace, no clothes-changing occurred to tip him off. And when he shot and killed you and the guard, you were just cognitive duplicates and obviously not genuine.

I think??? that's what was said to me in the massive exposition dump, Ocean's Eleven style

Also, for a game with normally very sharp writing and a tight narrative, the entire loving conversation between Akechi and Shido was awful, literally "as you know, <iterates every detail of evil plan>" "ahaha, oh yes, and do you recall how <elaborates on poo poo the other party already knows as well>?" Just real clunky and goofy sounding, I wonder if it was that terrible in the original Japanese

You got the plan pretty much right. The phone needed to be shown to Akechi because it was Futaba who remote-activated the app not Sae who was still out of the loop so she wouldn't tip Akechi off and she wanted to make sure she sent him into the metaverse when it activated.

Also the cops could have just set up a perimeter and moved all the public away from the courthouse so they could get into and out of the metaverse no problem. Because they are the cops and they can do that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Also, why didn't the crew bring Sojiro and Sae into Mementos for like five minutes so that Morgana could talk to them
Now that you say this it makes me realise: Sae has been in the metaverse but she still can't understand Morgana. I guess that's just an oversight.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Honestly, there are a lot of things about people entering the Metaverse that is kind of inconsistent if you stop to think about it. For a while it seems like the only people that can are those with the potential to awaken a Persona and that maintains consistency until like Palace 4 when Futaba isn't dragged into the Metaverse when you enter the desert despite doing so right outside her room. Yaldabaoth still gives her the Metaverse Nav at this point because he can just do that and all, which breaks all the non-Joker rules established at that point anyway and then she enters of her own accord later for her awakening. Sure, whatever.

Then Palace 5 happens, you enter the Metaverse right next to Akechi (albeit with only the player knowing that)... and he also doesn't get dragged in?

Then the arrest happens in Palace 6 and a bunch of random policemen can enter the Metaverse? Despite random normals implicitly not being able to enter before, considering the number of them around during entering the Castle and especially the Bank?

Sae not being able to understand Morgana is honestly more consistent with the established rules. Everyone else has their awakening before they can understand him (except maybe Ryuji? I don't remember there, but I don't think they interact in the real world before he gets Kidd), so that might be a factor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

NRVNQSR posted:

Now that you say this it makes me realise: Sae has been in the metaverse but she still can't understand Morgana. I guess that's just an oversight.

Eh, the whole thing is being in the Metaverse changes your cognition and allows to you percieve things you hadn't before. Sae's in for like five seconds and immediately walks out, and the part she goes into is identical to reality.

I don't think it really challenged her cognition of the world enough. Its not like she even saw a shadow or a palace.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Honestly, there are a lot of things about people entering the Metaverse that is kind of inconsistent if you stop to think about it. For a while it seems like the only people that can are those with the potential to awaken a Persona and that maintains consistency until like Palace 4 when Futaba isn't dragged into the Metaverse when you enter the desert despite doing so right outside her room. Yaldabaoth still gives her the Metaverse Nav at this point because he can just do that and all, which breaks all the non-Joker rules established at that point anyway and then she enters of her own accord later for her awakening. Sure, whatever.

Then Palace 5 happens, you enter the Metaverse right next to Akechi (albeit with only the player knowing that)... and he also doesn't get dragged in?

Then the arrest happens in Palace 6 and a bunch of random policemen can enter the Metaverse? Despite random normals implicitly not being able to enter before, considering the number of them around during entering the Castle and especially the Bank?

Sae not being able to understand Morgana is honestly more consistent with the established rules. Everyone else has their awakening before they can understand him (except maybe Ryuji? I don't remember there, but I don't think they interact in the real world before he gets Kidd), so that might be a factor.

I'm pretty sure Futaba gets it from the gang entering the Metaverse so close to her, like it was a proximity thing or because she was getting so involved in things as Ali Baba. Makes more sense to me than Yaldy just doing her a solid. Also, I assumed Akechi totally was brought in with them he just hid himself so he wasn't seen by the guys.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dragonatrix posted:

He does get dragged in at that point; or at least he claims that he did when he joins the team and he has no particular reason to lie about that aspect. In general things are consistent with the stated answer of "people nearby get dragged in", though that does require jumping through hoops like different rooms not counting as nearby. I'm not sure where you get persona potential as a requirement, since I can't think of anything that ever suggested that.

Dragonatrix posted:

"Only persona-users can understand Morgana in the real world" could work. It doesn't match up at all with what the game says the rules are, but Morgana could just be wrong since he admits he's guessing at a lot of it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure where you get persona potential as a requirement, since I can't think of anything that ever suggested that.

It's never made an explicit suggestion, but it is implied very heavily a few times. Up until the events around Sae's palace, aside from the person operating the Nav, the only people that enter the Metaverse with them are... the playable characters. They either already have a Persona (Morgana, Haru, Akechi) or awaken shortly thereafter. It's not much of a stretch to presume that's a requirement up until it isn't so that it can make the cool as gently caress real plan for owning Akechi work.

Like, this happens several times with the most blatant being when the crew first enter Kaneshiro's bank. That happens at Station Square surrounded by a bunch of people and the question that comes to the crew's mind isn't "will all these people end up there with us" but "will they see us disappear?" And then... neither of these things happen, so like if the only requirement is proximity then there's something amiss here. Along with when Joker and Ryuji stumble upon Kamoshida's castle, there's a bunch of folks around then too or when the gang (+Akechi) first go to Okumura's space station. Those guards outside Okumura Foods are right there and there's no concern or issue about them either. :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They straight up say that you have to hear Morgana talk int he metaverse to understand him in the real world.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

They straight up say that you have to hear Morgana talk int he metaverse to understand him in the real world.

Except for Goro. He can just talk to animals.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

pankeiki does that to a man

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Goro does tell you he's psychic back in like July

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Except for Goro. He can just talk to animals.

He could have been stalking you in the Metaverse prior to Pancakes and heard Morgana.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harlock posted:

He could have been stalking you in the Metaverse prior to Pancakes and heard Morgana.

Wait I can't remember does the pancake thing happen before or after Madarama?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait I can't remember does the pancake thing happen before or after Madarama?

After you steal Madarame's heart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, it's right after Madarame.

I mean, by that point Akechi had been going into the Metaverse longer than the Phantom Thieves had. He just got careless and didn't realize that he'd overheard a cat speaking and not someone else, which (for perceptive players and, as it turns out, the Phantom Thieves) was a tip that something was clearly off about Akechi's innocent act.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm really glad the cast in Persona 5 is a lot smarter than P4, the crew that meets a person, immediately sees them on the midnight channel that night, and has zero loving clue who it could possibly be

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm really glad the cast in Persona 5 is a lot smarter than P4, the crew that meets a person, immediately sees them on the midnight channel that night, and has zero loving clue who it could possibly be

Persona 4's greatest weakness and strength is its adherance to a television format. On a TV show, with weekly gaps between episodes, it sort of makes sense for the characters to struggle a bit to figure out the episode's mystery because the audience may want to try and guess along and you need to allow time for that. With the Investigation Team, though, it feels like they constantly don't learn any real detective skills from their various escapades until an actual detective shows up to solve the mystery in a single dungeon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's right after Madarame.

I mean, by that point Akechi had been going into the Metaverse longer than the Phantom Thieves had. He just got careless and didn't realize that he'd overheard a cat speaking and not someone else, which (for perceptive players and, as it turns out, the Phantom Thieves) was a tip that something was clearly off about Akechi's innocent act.

That's why I was asking, since you learn about him being in the Metaverse after defeating Shadow Madarame it's possible that he was in there stalking you and where he first heard Morgana talk so he can hear him again talking about pancakes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CharlestonJew posted:

Playing through P4 again, this really isn't true. You accurately guess who's on the midnight channel the first time in almost every instance and the game has you stalk Kanji and Rise for multiple days before their kidnapping to try to prevent it.

The game cheats with Naoto and Nanako in that they don't get prior warning for Naoto's kidnapping and Nanako doesn't show properly until the night of. But they recognize them instantly.

They end up making a lot of assumptioms, butthe rules for the midnight channel are arcane as gently caress and I can't blame them for making some of the deductions they do.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 20, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Persona 4's greatest weakness and strength is its adherance to a television format. On a TV show, with weekly gaps between episodes, it sort of makes sense for the characters to struggle a bit to figure out the episode's mystery because the audience may want to try and guess along and you need to allow time for that. With the Investigation Team, though, it feels like they constantly don't learn any real detective skills from their various escapades until an actual detective shows up to solve the mystery in a single dungeon.

The Investigation Team is not that great at Investigation.

Unlike The Phantom Thieves. Since Makoto's basically a criminal mastermind, Futaba's a teen genius, and Morgana's pretty drat sharp as well. The rest are mostly sensible and also Ryuji.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm okay with Ryuji being dumb as bricks because he is the id and heart of the group.

For real?!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ryuji is cool but there were parts of the game I wanted to pin him against the wall and kiss him tell him to STFU about Phantom Thieves stuff in public

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I was sad that he never apologized for antagonizing Morgana so much when Morgana was clearly hurting, but complimenting Morgana's skills after he slingshots the remote out of Shadow Okumura's hands was probably Ryuji's version of a sincere apology.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He should have apologised to Mona, but Mona never really made any effort to not be a poo poo towards Ryuji either.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harlock posted:

I'm okay with Ryuji being dumb as bricks because he is the id and heart of the group.

For real?!

I like when he "died" after Palace 7 then came back unscathed then got beat up because he hurt everyone's feelings

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
To be fair to Ryuji, every time he opened his mouth or tried to be helpful, Morgana called him an idiot. He's kinda consistently a jerk to him. They're both lovely to each other, but Morgana was the one that got all pissy that he wasn't special anymore.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Ryuji is cool but there were parts of the game I wanted to pin him against the wall and kiss him tell him to STFU about Phantom Thieves stuff in public

Its worth it for that scene where Matoko is grilling you and you're trying to deflect her when Ryuji calls up and loudly shouts HEY LET'S GO TO OUR SECRET HIDEOUT TO PLAN CRIMES BECAUSE WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES down the line.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

Its worth it for that scene where Matoko is grilling you and you're trying to deflect her when Ryuji calls up and loudly shouts HEY LET'S GO TO OUR SECRET HIDEOUT TO PLAN CRIMES BECAUSE WE'RE THE PHANTOM THIEVES down the line.

Not being able to callout Ryuji in the scene immediately after that is the worst tho.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

To be fair to Ryuji, every time he opened his mouth or tried to be helpful, Morgana called him an idiot. He's kinda consistently a jerk to him. They're both lovely to each other, but Morgana was the one that got all pissy that he wasn't special anymore.

That's true. I think the difference is that Ryuji never seems all that sensitive about it. He gets insulted and gives it back but doesn't dwell on it. Where Ryuji went wrong, I think, was not recognizing that Morgana was actually having a hard time and knowing when to support his friend. To Ryuji, he was just ribbing Morgana like always, not realizing that this really wasn't the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Harrow posted:

That's true. I think the difference is that Ryuji never seems all that sensitive about it. He gets insulted and gives it back but doesn't dwell on it. Where Ryuji went wrong, I think, was not recognizing that Morgana was actually having a hard time and knowing when to support his friend. To Ryuji, he was just ribbing Morgana like always, not realizing that this really wasn't the time.

I actually think this is entirely believable and realistic because I certainly have at least one friend like that, who is just so terrible at reading the mood it's unreal.

Part of being insult slinging pseudo-hatefriends is knowing which subjects are genuinely off limits because the other person is actually insecure about that poo poo and picking on it isn't cool. Call them ugly or stupid or whatever just don't bring up the one thing they are actually sore about.

• Locked thread