Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Beelerzebub posted:

So Gundam has become Gurren Lagann?
Looks more like they watched Beast Wars and decided to make Dinobot's spinning tail shield thing into a full on offensive weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want a gundam series that shows that putting a young boy in a mobile suit is as dumb an idea as it sounds and sleggar and ryu end up being the main pilots.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
G Gundam kind of addressed that briefly, with a kid trying to steal the Shining Gundam and almost dying just trying to put on the control suit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isn't the chinese pilot a kid in g gundam

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
But he knew kung fu.

Anyway Io from Thunderbolt is neither a kid nor does he land in a Gundam by accident. Shiro, Bernie and Christina are also professional pilots.

The 0083 guy is also technically already a pilot when he gets his but he's also a manchild.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I want a gundam series that shows that putting a young boy in a mobile suit is as dumb an idea as it sounds and sleggar and ryu end up being the main pilots.

Every time someone posts something like it makes me think "you know there are mecha shows that aren't gundam right?" The protagonists being kids in Gundam is thematically important, albeit it's most likely also because the protagonists are the same age group as the intended audience.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As much as I don't like thunderbolt I did enjoy the scene where all the kids that Io has under his command get destroyed. Turns out they may not be the best choice for pilots!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ManSedan posted:

Anyway Io from Thunderbolt is neither a kid nor does he land in a Gundam by accident.

doesn't he only get the gundam because everyone that outranked him died in the last run on the snipers

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Manatee Cannon posted:

doesn't he only get the gundam because everyone that outranked him died in the last run on the snipers

That's the explicit reason yeah. Not really an accident though.

I liked the parts where he hosed up the snipers and also the cool sub arm backpacks every mech has.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Sub arms are always cool, either backpack mounted or skirt mounted, or hell, even sub arms inside normal arms like GP03.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sub arms are always cool, either backpack mounted or skirt mounted, or hell, even sub arms inside normal arms like GP03.

:yeah:

I really like it when robots look humanoid but can do things humans can't like transforming or having extra limbs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The pilot symbolism of the FA-78 and the Psyco Zaku designs are at least stuff I can understand quite clearly. As far as "White Devils" go, the FA-78 is probably the most literal interpretation of that concept as presented onscreen. The subdued color palette turns the heroic gundam into a sadistic executioner.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The pilot symbolism of the FA-78 and the Psyco Zaku designs are at least stuff I can understand quite clearly. As far as "White Devils" go, the FA-78 is probably the most literal interpretation of that concept as presented onscreen. The subdued color palette turns the heroic gundam into a sadistic executioner.

Plus, all that boxy, clunky weaponry and armour makes it look less cartoony and more like a piece of military hardware, which fits with the tonal differences between MSG and Thunderbolt, particularly thanks to little details like the foot-hooks for clinging onto debris.

The Psyco Zaku is even more interesting - it weaves a careful balance between being an intimidating monster and a scrappy, underdog rustbucket, letting you both be horrified by what Darryl's turned himself into and root for him a little bit anyway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Plus, all that boxy, clunky weaponry and armour makes it look less cartoony and more like a piece of military hardware, which fits with the tonal differences between MSG and Thunderbolt, particularly thanks to little details like the foot-hooks for clinging onto debris.

The Psyco Zaku is even more interesting - it weaves a careful balance between being an intimidating monster and a scrappy, underdog rustbucket, letting you both be horrified by what Darryl's turned himself into and root for him a little bit anyway.

The armored Gundam versus the stripped down Psyco Zaku also represents the differences between Io and Darryl. Cornelius says to Claudia that deep down, Io is not a bad person, when that is clearly not the case. Io lost himself to violence a long time ago, and he metaphorically breaks through the barrier keeping him from going completely crazy when the FA sheds its armor plating... to reveal even more guns. Conversely, the Psyco Zaku holds all of its guns on the exterior, with a full arsenal strapped to the propellant tank. Darryl, being rebuilt from scrap, mirrors the Psyco, like you said, but the front loaded exterior weaponry is designed for maximum effort in assaults, something totally at odds with Darryl up until that point. He's a sniper, detached and distant from the combat. But plugged into the machine, he is closer to combat than he has ever been before, and the vicious nature behind the Psyco merges with Darryl, threatening to destroy the sympathetic pilot we first met.

By the end, the only difference between Io and Darryl is that Darryl steps back from the brink at the last second, while Io was damned before the show even started.

There are so many things in Thunderbolt that are effectively melded together on a visual and audio standpoint.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The armored Gundam versus the stripped down Psyco Zaku also represents the differences between Io and Darryl. Cornelius says to Claudia that deep down, Io is not a bad person, when that is clearly not the case. Io lost himself to violence a long time ago, and he metaphorically breaks through the barrier keeping him from going completely crazy when the FA sheds its armor plating... to reveal even more guns. Conversely, the Psyco Zaku holds all of its guns on the exterior, with a full arsenal strapped to the propellant tank. Darryl, being rebuilt from scrap, mirrors the Psyco, like you said, but the front loaded exterior weaponry is designed for maximum effort in assaults, something totally at odds with Darryl up until that point. He's a sniper, detached and distant from the combat. But plugged into the machine, he is closer to combat than he has ever been before, and the vicious nature behind the Psyco merges with Darryl, threatening to destroy the sympathetic pilot we first met.

By the end, the only difference between Io and Darryl is that Darryl steps back from the brink at the last second, while Io was damned before the show even started.

There are so many things in Thunderbolt that are effectively melded together on a visual and audio standpoint.

Given what happens next in the series, I'd put a slightly more positive spin on that. Io stripping away his armour and returning his Gundam to its traditional, famous silhouette (before getting it trashed in the same way Amuro did) is stage one of his rebirth, taking him from a simple murderous hedonist into someone who's actually trying to be a hero and occasionally succeeding. Notice how it initiates a chain of events that literally ends with him crawling naked and bloody out of a dark room into the arms of his friends, right before the timeskip kicks in and the second arc begins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Given what happens next in the series, I'd put a slightly more positive spin on that. Io stripping away his armour and returning his Gundam to its traditional, famous silhouette (before getting it trashed in the same way Amuro did) is stage one of his rebirth, taking him from a simple murderous hedonist into someone who's actually trying to be a hero and occasionally succeeding. Notice how it initiates a chain of events that literally ends with him crawling naked and bloody out of a dark room into the arms of his friends, right before the timeskip kicks in and the second arc begins.

That is true, though I feel that if Thunderbolt just ended with the first act, leaving everyone condemned for the atrocities could work just as well for an ending. Io strips away his armor to be faster so he can kill his enemy, while Darryl is just holding him off until reinforcements arrive. Io succumbs to selfishness while Darryl is like a Zeon Amuro and realizes his friends are there for him.

But that only really works if the story ended in the Thunderbolt sector. And it would be a really good ending. I'm interested to see where they go with the story, but as a standalone December Sky is pretty tight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

:yeah:

I really like it when robots look humanoid but can do things humans can't like transforming or having extra limbs.

This was my favorite part about a bunch of the robot designs from G Reco. I loving love stuff like the Mack Knife because it's a humanoid robot but the way it moves and utilizes its equipment is often super mechanical and alien.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Darryl seems like a real wad

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Crossbone Vanguard still has the best designs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Crossbone Vanguard still has the best designs.

I won't say 'best' when Moriki designs still exist, but I know that I'd kill for a third party MG-alike Heavygun and Den'an Zon/Gei.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope with Twilight Axis leading into F91 that the era gets explored more thoroughly.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope with Twilight Axis leading into F91 that the era gets explored more thoroughly.

Yeah, there's a huge amount of backstory and plot and events that get completely ignored and have stayed untold to this day. I don't want more Crossbone, I want to see the end of the Cosmo Babylonia clusterfuck.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Panzeh posted:

But how is a qualified adult supposed to be better at fighting wars in a giant robot than an average 13 year-old?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as OYW era suits go, would the FA-78 Thunderbolt or the NT1 Alex be the strongest contender?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

As far as OYW era suits go, would the FA-78 Thunderbolt or the NT1 Alex be the strongest contender?

The FA Thunderbolt definitely has the more absurd armament and performance

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The most absurd MS from the OYW that isn't some Zeon crazy mobile armor or overtuned Geloog variant is probably the G05 which was basically a super high spec Gundam. the G-04 actually had a first-generation Mega Beam Launcher though it kinda blew itself up firing it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's three different layers of clothing on in that picture and I have no idea what any of them are supposed to do.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's three different layers of clothing on in that picture and I have no idea what any of them are supposed to do.

The middle layer is easy, it's either a tank top or the top of a sleeveless unitard.

But yeah, the shoulderless shrug is not a piece of clothing that has ever existed in reality

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The second image is in Totovision.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like how at the end of the OYW the federation had about six gundams being sent out to Amuro.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The second image is in Totovision.

We're blessing the rains down in Africa?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Panzeh posted:

I like how at the end of the OYW the federation had about six gundams being sent out to Amuro.

And yet Zeon can have twenty new prototypes out to the frontlines in a day or two. I guess a 1/30th the size industry translates to a shorter supply line, especially when your home territory is getting invaded.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I wonder how fast the war would've been over if he had gotten even one of them.

Do any of the SRW games go into that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

I wonder how fast the war would've been over if he had gotten even one of them.

Do any of the SRW games go into that?

The only SRWs to really deal with the OYW are GC (where Amuro gets sent to another dimension and the OYW doesn't end so he comes back to an AEUG where Char and Lalah are both part of it) and OE (where Garma survives and becomes Char's For-Real Bro.) Amuro gets the G-3 in GC though it doesn't change much obviously. (and later gets a Nu Gundam despite being OYW Amuro.)

The biggest example I can think of is actually in G Generation DS where Amuro DOES get the Alex if you complete certain events. Ironically this has the side effect of meaning that Amuro is such a threat he actually gets killed off and his death is what causes the Rival Route where you play as the villain factions... including Kai Shiden becoming a top-grade Newtype and pilot of the Nu Gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But then he'd never get to be a spy/reporter/dapper as gently caress white suit wearing lady's man. You know he wore that white suit because protagonists get white normal suits while cannon fodder get yellow.
When zeon women talk about the White Devil, they have to specify if they mean Kai or the Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

But then he'd never get to be a spy/reportee/dapper as gently caress white suit wearing lady's man. You know he wore that white suit because protagonists get white normal suits while cannon fodder get yellow.

He still uses his Zeta design art in the game so he probably still worked that bit out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tinker, tailor, MS, Spy.

Doesn't have the same ring to it, but if anyone came out of the OYW a better person it was Kai. Everyone else either died, became emotional wrecks, or settled into unhappy marriages. Kai says screw that and goes wandering around south American jungles in a suit and bangs all the ladies.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Panzeh posted:

Were there? I know there are now a dozen or more Gundams during the One Year War, but I thought the Alex was the only over ever slated for him. And even that could never have reached him, because they were still testing it late December when Christina used it for combat and the One Year War ended at the start of January. Even if the Cyclops Team never arrived testing would still have gone on as normal past the end of the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How did they have the time to make all these Gundams in one year?