Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok so the pop growth mechanic does not work the way I think it does, if you manage to stack -100% growth time you grow a pop every single month on a planet.

Yeah. :stare:

The way I did it was Fertile (-30%), fanatic spiritualist edict (-20%), genome mapping (-10%), New Life (-10%), New Generation (-10%), Consecrated World (-10%), Frontier Hospital (-10%).

Edit: The makes the whole habitat +10 energy mid-late game strategy even more insane.

Looks like nine women really can make a baby in one month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok so the pop growth mechanic does not work the way I think it does, if you manage to stack -100% growth time you grow a pop every single month on a planet.

Yeah. :stare:

The way I did it was Fertile (-30%), fanatic spiritualist edict (-20%), genome mapping (-10%), New Life (-10%), New Generation (-10%), Consecrated World (-10%), Frontier Hospital (-10%).

Edit: The makes the whole habitat +10 energy mid-late game strategy even more insane.

That doesn't scale linearly though, right? So -50% growth doesn't make a pop every 2 months, yeah?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Indeed it does not, it's only one pop a month because you can't get multiple pops a month... Assuming only one (sub-)species on the planet. I haven't tested it, but you can probably get one pop of every species on the planet every month.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That's wild. I might play around a bit with that.

In other news: does fire rate affect strike craft, or not so much?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
http://www.stellariswiki.com/Population#Growth

looks like the one pop per month only works with 100% habitability. Then your multiplier is 0 and you get a new pop for every 0 growth points. It also works for multiple species.

If you are lacking 10% or so you still grow quite fast but probably will need 5-10 month per pop on a full planet.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Still wish there was a difficulty level between normal and hard. Normal feels like too much of an easy mode babby game while hard feels like a huge leap especially if you're a bit rough from not playing the game since the last big update came out. If I remember right hard just gives the AI +50% to a whole bunch of stuff so it shouldn't be a big deal to make another level that gives +25% instead.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-69-beyond-utopia.1015396/

New dev diary. No news beyond Clothes for Plants and Wiz showing off his achievement list. Oh, and Adams shouldn't be too far off. I'd bet May.

This update better involve a towel.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Thyrork posted:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yo when am I gonna get my Pratchett update full of strange things

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So uh..... has anyone else been using the automated dreadnought to perform a planetary bombardment and got the pop up about the main gun being fully charged?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Indeed it does not, it's only one pop a month because you can't get multiple pops a month... Assuming only one (sub-)species on the planet. I haven't tested it, but you can probably get one pop of every species on the planet every month.

This sounds like the game sets pop growth to zero when you have -100% growth bonuses stacked and if it weren't limited to give you a pop each month, you would get infinite pops and a crash.

I'm not sure this is intended behaviour.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

King Doom posted:

So uh..... has anyone else been using the automated dreadnought to perform a planetary bombardment and got the pop up about the main gun being fully charged?

Nope. What's it do?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Shugojin posted:

Yo when am I gonna get my Pratchett update full of strange things

I want this now even if its not a thing.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Through some crazy RNG fluke in my new xenophile spiritualists game my empire has half a dozen pre-space aliens within its borders, ranging from the stone age to the machine age. I've got observation posts on all of them, but I've never really dicked around with anything besides passive observation. How can I best exploit these valuable xenos? My people have the +xenos happiness trait so I think they'd probably like living with us, but I'm not too sure about breaking up my empire by giving them territory.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

Through some crazy RNG fluke in my new xenophile spiritualists game my empire has half a dozen pre-space aliens within its borders, ranging from the stone age to the machine age. I've got observation posts on all of them, but I've never really dicked around with anything besides passive observation. How can I best exploit these valuable xenos? My people have the +xenos happiness trait so I think they'd probably like living with us, but I'm not too sure about breaking up my empire by giving them territory.

You can vassal/integrate them in 10 years, which is a good idea on the ones with different hab types than what you have. The rest can be observed until early space age or until you really really run out of planets.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The +0.25 influence protectorates provide can be quite handy, despite the map ugliness.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Thyrork posted:

Special A-slot module for ships that teleports them to a random system every time it's invoked. Accidentally jump your whole fleet deep into closed borders enemy territory and cause a Diplomatic Incident.

Has to be gained by researching a special project after a random event in the vein of Improbable Ceramics that has a bowl of petunias and a whale crash onto your homeworld.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Found out today that if you beat an AE in war and annex all their planets, somehow you also end up having all their signatories too. They're still just signatories though, not vassals, so you can't integrate them. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug.

Also, I don't know how long this has been bugged, but if you build starport modules that require influence on a planet in a sector, you don't get charged the influence. Built 4 fleet academies while I was sitting at 30 some influence. Free mind control lasers for everyone!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Is there a way to conquer an FE without ending up with a pissed off population? I'd ideally like to release them as a vassal and liberate them later to change their ethics, but it doesn't seem like you can release their planets. I hate that a huge xenophobe faction just ends up in my utopian democracy.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Slung Blade posted:

Nope. What's it do?

Well, there's now one of those partially exploded planets you see around black holes where the fallen empires 25 tile gaia world used to be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My current one has 3 AEs and they're loving everybody up. I'm a fanatic pacifist / materialist stuck between two of them (my overlord and the militant) yet nobody has actually attacked me. I am thinking it's because I killed the Unbidden? I have a massive fleet but the two AEs opposed to me are both superior so I have no idea why they're letting me live.

It's almost certainly the massive fleet. AEs are making the same sort of evaluation of fleet strength as the other AIs. A Xenophile AE in my game just un-rivaled my Fanatic Purifiers, presumably because I eclipsed them in fleet strength.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Reading Wiz's update it sounds like we'll have to wait until Card or Herbert for a major change to warfare.

EDIT: This person from Reddit seems to care quite a bit about armies.

So what he wants is NATO counters?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

Still wish there was a difficulty level between normal and hard. Normal feels like too much of an easy mode babby game while hard feels like a huge leap especially if you're a bit rough from not playing the game since the last big update came out. If I remember right hard just gives the AI +50% to a whole bunch of stuff so it shouldn't be a big deal to make another level that gives +25% instead.

Agreed. This, or I'd take a 20 year embargo on the bonuses going into effect. I'd like to see more mid to late difficulty, not "strangled in the cradle" difficulty.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

PittTheElder posted:

So what he wants is NATO counters?

I admit, though the other stuff is questionable, dividing planets into sectors for ground combat seems like an idea that might have value.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

King Doom posted:

Well, there's now one of those partially exploded planets you see around black holes where the fallen empires 25 tile gaia world used to be.

:stare: I see...

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mister Adequate posted:

I admit, though the other stuff is questionable, dividing planets into sectors for ground combat seems like an idea that might have value.
Not lategame when you're invading 8-9 planets and managing multiple fleets.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mister Adequate posted:

it's a terrible idea, ground combat needs more abstraction not less

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Is there ever any reason not to take expansion as the first tradition?

It seems so powerful and the other traditions are weak or their bonuses aren't useful till later in the game. I guess maybe you could go diplo if you've got a big powerful enemy nearby.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
You know if they changed ground combat pure aesthetically, just by visualizing the different unit types beyond a little circular icon, I'd probably stop complaining about it even if they changed nothing else.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Huskalator posted:

It seems so powerful and the other traditions are weak or their bonuses aren't useful till later in the game. I guess maybe you could go diplo if you've got a big powerful enemy nearby.

discovery has planetary survey corps which is broken in half, so that's the reason

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Huskalator posted:

If you're playing tall discovery or prosperity are better choices, as you're more likely to be mineral constrained.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ground Combat Idea:

Give core worlds and/or sectors individual army ratings. Make this number an amalgamation of tech/generals/"manpower". Manpower is a combination of population/ethos/civics/species rights. It goes up over time and diminishes with losses. Allow generals to be assigned to planets/sectors just like governors (or even have governors double as generals).

"Invasions" work by telling a core world or sector "invade this planet". Enemy planets can only be targeted for invasion if there are no enemy spaceports or military stations in the system. Instead of ferrying physical troops, some type of visual "invasion path" indicator comes up on the map, showing where troops are being ferried to and from. The attacker's manpower gradually overpowers the defender. The presence of a friendly fleet in orbit above the target increases your attack strength/speed. The presence of a hostile fleet in orbit above the target halts all incoming troops. The presence of friendly or hostile fleets along the invasion path increases or decreases the speed at which invading troops make it to the target from the point of origin, and maybe kills off some manpower in transit.

At no point are there physical troop transport ships, although they may be represented visually. The numbers mash against each other in the background based on the manpower/tech/leadership on both sides, modified by the situation in space.

Obviously this would be a major overhaul. But the current system sucks so an overhaul is needed.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Got the Horizon Signal quest for the first time, and have to say that I absolutely love the writing here, and hope there will be more stuff like this in the future.

I still haven't finished it, but am starting to feel like some terrible mistakes might have been made, and the feeling of dread and paranoia is slowly starting to sink in. :tinfoil:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

Ground Combat Idea:

Give core worlds and/or sectors individual army ratings. Make this number an amalgamation of tech/generals/"manpower". Manpower is a combination of population/ethos/civics/species rights. It goes up over time and diminishes with losses. Allow generals to be assigned to planets/sectors just like governors (or even have governors double as generals).

"Invasions" work by telling a core world or sector "invade this planet". Enemy planets can only be targeted for invasion if there are no enemy spaceports or military stations in the system. Instead of ferrying physical troops, some type of visual "invasion path" indicator comes up on the map, showing where troops are being ferried to and from. The attacker's manpower gradually overpowers the defender. The presence of a friendly fleet in orbit above the target increases your attack strength/speed. The presence of a hostile fleet in orbit above the target halts all incoming troops. The presence of friendly or hostile fleets along the invasion path increases or decreases the speed at which invading troops make it to the target from the point of origin, and maybe kills off some manpower in transit.

At no point are there physical troop transport ships, although they may be represented visually. The numbers mash against each other in the background based on the manpower/tech/leadership on both sides, modified by the situation in space.

Obviously this would be a major overhaul. But the current system sucks so an overhaul is needed.
This would be a really good way of handling it, yeah.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Got the Horizon Signal quest for the first time, and have to say that I absolutely love the writing here, and hope there will be more stuff like this in the future.

I still haven't finished it, but am starting to feel like some terrible mistakes might have been made, and the feeling of dread and paranoia is slowly starting to sink in. :tinfoil:

Embrace The Worm.

My newest game of xenophilic, spiritual, egalitarian geckos got Horizon Signal before my second colony was settled. My original plan of forming a mighty federation and liberating the gently caress out of the galaxy is now dead. My goal now is to follow the will of The Worm, come what may.

I adore this game so very much.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Huskalator posted:

Prosperity has private colony ships, allowing you to expand fast without tanking mineral economy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So have I gotten really good at tech or is survey corps just super ultra broken? I've re-started games 3 times now because my early game lead is just insane. By the time I've got cruisers every other empire is listed as inferior or pathetic in tech compared to me. I end up spamming habitats and have terraformed everything by the time other empires are building their first battleships.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

New 1.6 civic showcased in the stream:

Devouring Swarm posted:

Cannot engage in Diplomacy with other species!
Xeno Pops will always be eaten and have no effects on Tradition Cost.
Gains Society Research from eating Xeno Pops.
Ship Hull Points increased by +10%.
Monthly Hull Regenerations increased by +0.5%.
Army Damage increased by 40%.
Research Speed (Biology) increase by 20%

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Devouring swarm is like a hive version of fanatic purifiers or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Devouring swarm is like a hive version of fanatic purifiers or something else?

Sounds like regular hivemind will no longer consume pops by default so you can be friendly hive.

• Locked thread