Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Martman posted:

Is that from a Sim City 2000 cutscene or something?

The PS2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Comics! Comics! Here's a trailer for the new Marvel Cloak & Dagger series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5hrFVQiGyk

Man, I really hope they've ditched the demon/hunger inside of Cloak.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
John Ridley's doing that series, yeah?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What the hell is Cloak? He's dead, right, and his body leads to some sort of Shadow Dimension or something?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drifter posted:

What the hell is Cloak? He's dead, right, and his body leads to some sort of Shadow Dimension or something?

Yes, his power is the yonic ability to be a portal to the darkforce dimension or something to contrast with Dagger's phallic ability to stab people with light.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Drifter posted:

Did you even watch the trailer?

I thought it was pretty obvious that cloak is a dead vessel animated by D'Spayre's Dark Form, which gives him the ability to create an aperture into the darkforce dimension after being infected by experimental heroin.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Recently on Marvel TV: Batman fought Chun Li (or maybe Mulan).

http://i.imgur.com/3TxAxxq.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/6TVzzZ1.mp4

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I will never stop being amazed that Ming-Na Wen is almost 54 goddamn years old.

She and Cate Blanchett need to donate their DNA to science to develop an anti-aging serum.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Didn't comics Cloak and Dagger get their powers from super-meth?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

UmOk posted:

Didn't comics Cloak and Dagger get their powers from super-meth?

Their origin has changed several times, usually based on the popularity of the X-Men and if marketing them as an X-book helps sales.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Roxxon gets a mention in that trailer, and that company was involved with some dark matter experiments in Agent Carter, so they might connect the two.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ungulateman posted:

I believe the technical term is 'BLUE AND ORANGE', per the poster thread

It's not just that, though. Michael Bay, even at his most blue'n'orange (Revenge of the Fallen), still lets some more vibrant shades in and makes sure to overcorrect faces to warm colors so you're at least drawn to them. Star Lord just looks bruised and diseased in that screenshot with all the dim bluish lighting on his face

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

It's not just that, though. Michael Bay, even at his most blue'n'orange (Revenge of the Fallen), still lets some more vibrant shades in and makes sure to overcorrect faces to warm colors so you're at least drawn to them. Star Lord just looks bruised and diseased in that screenshot with all the dim bluish lighting on his face

Nitpicking but isn't he actually bruised? Like they roughed him up when they brought him in and he tried to confront that guard (or maybe that was after this?)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think that's what the dark spot above his right eye is? But again, it's not the bluest part of his face

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The MSJ posted:

Roxxon gets a mention in that trailer, and that company was involved with some dark matter experiments in Agent Carter, so they might connect the two.

Roxxon is often mentioned in AOS and Daredevil; as well as some minor mentions in all the Iron Man movies as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I can't help but laugh every time I see, "...tell that to Zods snapped neck!"

I hope whenever wrote that still gets poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Vintersorg posted:

I can't help but laugh every time I see, "...tell that to Zods snapped neck!"

I hope whenever wrote that still gets poo poo.

well let me make you l out l

and for you who don't have a weird reaction to a dumb internet invoke, here is what I think of whenever I hear "cloak and dagger". yes it is exactly what you are expecting, also NWS for humorous cartoon breasts

edit: if I had motivation and skills at gif-making I'd replace my awesome picture of Chris Reeve and Terry Stamp with that gif of Zack Snyder gleefully showing Cavill how to snap a neck with style

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Dark Dimension/Force was actually already part of the MCU with Peggy Carter S2 and a villain from Agents of Shield. So I imagine they might just follow the lead from those (Carter especially since they spent a whole season on it) since its all MCU.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I will never stop being amazed that Ming-Na Wen is almost 54 goddamn years old.

She and Cate Blanchett need to donate their DNA to science to develop an anti-aging serum.

You could throw some Gong Li in there, but I'm pretty sure she's a 10,000 year old waterfall spirit who's decided to try this human thing for a while.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

seravid posted:

These are excellent. GotG's lack of cohesion between foreground, middleground and background is baffling; like three separate layers pasted on top of each other. Why would you shoot a movie like this? And why would you do the exact same thing in the sequel?

Time to roll out the big guns.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Martman posted:

Is that from a Sim City 2000 cutscene or something?

It did remind me of that, too. Those games where you end up with everything crammed together because urban planning is hard.

Also, I forgot how loving gorgeous Fifth Element is.

Also, that Marvel TV fight scene is awful. It seems like TV with good fights (Banshee, Spartacus, Strike Back) and decent fights (Daredevil, Arrow) bought a lot of good will for shows that have loving awful fights. Like, people are aware that TV can have good fights now, so they're inclined to believe, just for a moment, that they might be looking at one.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 20, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Guardians better to me. Lots of colors. Pop's a lot more than that stinky rear end poodoo you're comparing it too.

But in all seriousness, I genuinely love the look of that rooftop set. The dark, stormy sky in the background contrasted with the yellow lights around the building really pops for me. But I'd rather watch a James Gunn film shot on an iPhone 4s than a George Lucas joint that wasn't made in 1977. So. I'm shittin on the prequels and I don't care broo!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The irony here is that the EpII pic looks way more like a comic book than the Guardians one.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What is AOTC was in color?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jenny Angel posted:

Star Lord just looks bruised and diseased in that screenshot with all the dim bluish lighting on his face

Turn on your monitor

quote:

Well poo poo BotL this is going to win every Moviefight.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Guardians better to me. Lots of colors. Pop's a lot more than that stinky rear end poodoo you're comparing it too.

But in all seriousness, I genuinely love the look of that rooftop set. The dark, stormy sky in the background contrasted with the yellow lights around the building really pops for me. But I'd rather watch a James Gunn film shot on an iPhone 4s than a George Lucas joint that wasn't made in 1977. So. I'm shittin on the prequels and I don't care broo!
Uh,

?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DC Murderverse posted:

The irony here is that the EpII pic looks way more like a comic book than the Guardians one.

Both look exactly like comic books from different eras.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

It did remind me of that, too. Those games where you end up with everything crammed together because urban planning is hard.

Also, I forgot how loving gorgeous Fifth Element is.

Also, that Marvel TV fight scene is awful. It seems like TV with good fights (Banshee, Spartacus, Strike Back) and decent fights (Daredevil, Arrow) bought a lot of good will for shows that have loving awful fights. Like, people are aware that TV can have good fights now, so they're inclined to believe, just for a moment, that they might be looking at one.

Fortunately Iron Fist came out to put things back into perspective. I only got like four episodes in, I cannot believe how loving bad that show is compared to Daredevil and even Jessica Jones and Cage which while good I know some people hated. It's like next level bad in comparison.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Both look exactly like comic books from different eras.

The Episode 2 screenshot looks like a reprint that has been recoloured for a modern audience

Edit: to be accurate, I guess it's more a case that recolored comicbooks are trying to look like the Prequel movies

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 20, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

George Lucas is a fantastic visual director and I'd love to see him shoot someone else's script. Has he ever?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I guess the argument is that this is a good shot, but all I can look at is their doofy expressions and the sheen of Vaseline around Obi Wan's head.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess the argument is that this is a good shot, but all I can look at is their doofy expressions and the sheen of Vaseline around Obi Wan's head.

I thought people liked practical effects?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Episode 2 screenshot looks like a reprint that has been recoloured for a modern audience

Edit: to be accurate, I guess it's more a case that recolored comicbooks are trying to look like the Prequel movies

Good god, that recoloured top panel is right up there with recoloured Incal. e: Modern recolours are always dumb because they're made with no consideration for anything but bland 'accuracy' to what's happening.

Like the Batman: Year One recolour. "Why is the night-sky red? That seems weird! Better make it blue."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

sassassin posted:

I thought people liked practical effects?

Obi Wan's fake reshoot beard is the best thing in all of Star Wars.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First actual comment of Whedon about Batgirl

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/854882578498674688/video/1

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He's sweating buckets he's wearing a heavy wool robe dude!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Movie Fight:

Looking beyond the obvious blockbusters and superhero movies is a good way to put comic book movies in context.

DragonBall Z: Fusion Reborn is not only a classic movie, it looks like a comic book come to life. There are compositions that look like they're straight from Prince Valiant strips, or recall countless other adventure comics.

DragonBall Z: Fusion Reborn is a forgettable movie in the overall canon of the Dragon Ball Saga, and only really superior to Man of Steel because of the latter's flaws, like its half-hearted ancient aliens premise. The opening monologues of the two movies make for a good comparison:

Man of Steel posted:

Artificial population control was established. The outposts and space exploration were abandoned. We exhausted our natural resources. As a result, our planet's core became unstable. Eventually, our military leader, General Zod, attempted a coup, but by then it was too late. Your mother and I foresaw the coming calamity and we took certain steps to ensure your survival. This is a genesis chamber. All Kryptonians were conceived in chambers such as this.

Every child was designed to perform a predetermined role in our society as a worker, a warrior, a leader, and so on. Your mother and I believed Krypton lost something precious, the element of choice, of chance. What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater? You were the embodiment of that belief Kal. Krypton's first natural birth in centuries. That's why we risked so much to save you.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

Dragon Ball Z posted:

Listen... The wind tells a story, one that took place a long time ago - - when Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life, stood in the centre of the world. In Asgard, land of the gods of the Vikings. Here lived the one-eyed Odin, king of the gods - - and the mighty Thor, god of thunder. From all over Asgard, the gods would gather here, in Valhalla - - the greatest castle of all. Here they received the worship of mortal men - - which gives strength and life to gods. From Valhalla, Odin surveyed the three worlds - - and from here, he sent out his ravens. To gather news from faraway lands. Beyond the land of Utgard - - home of the race of trolls whom men called giants - - the lords of darkness and chaos... Beyond Utgard was Midgard, land of humankind. Home of proud Vikings and industrious farmers. From time to time, the gods went to Midgard - - to visit their human worshippers.

Krypton is just an utterly bland setting for Jor-El and Zod to be fighting over. It's trite and doesn't carry the weight of the incident on Planet Vegeta.

All the talk on Krypton about corrupt institutions and prejudices is straight out of Barthes's Operation Margarine:

Barthes posted:

To instill into the Established Order the complacent portrayal of its drawbacks has nowadays become a paradoxical but incontrovertible means of exalting it. Here is the pattern of this new style demonstration: take the established value which you want to restore or develop, and first lavishly display its pettiness, the injustices which it produces, the vexations to which it gives rise, and plunge it into its natural imperfection; then, at the last moment, save it in spite of, or rather by the heavy curse of its blemishes. Some examples? There is no lack of them.

Take the Army; show without disguise its chiefs as martinets, its discipline as narrow-minded and unfair, and into this stupid tyranny immerse an average human being, fallible but likeable, the archetype of the spectator. And then, at the last moment, turn over the magical hat, and pull out of it the image of an army, flags flying, triumphant, bewitching, to which, like Sganarelle's wife, one cannot but be faithful although beaten (From here to eternity).

Take the Army again: lay down as a basic principle the scientific fanaticism of its engineers, and their blindness; show all that is destroyed by such a pitiless rigour: human beings, couples. And then bring out the flag, save the army in the name of progress, hitch the greatness of the former to the triumph of the latter (Les Cyclones, by Jules Roy).

If a movie is optimistic, then it's wise to ask what it's actually optimistic about. In Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice's case, a bunch of nominally anti-heroic characters who range from slightly flawed to somewhat flawed prove that they can work together as a team and save the bright planet from the dark villain, while overcoming their modestly expressed personal hang-ups. That the Established Order is maligned and then redeemed is a cheap manipulation from an unremarkable movie. And BvS Is an utterly adequate, safely conservative movie that's interesting precisely for its mediocrity. It's nothing compared to sci-fi adventures that have before: the Star Wars prequels beat it in sophistication despite their great flaws, and it's got nothing on The Cell Saga's revolutionary optimism.

Man of Steel does not rail against any convention. It's a safe and mediocre-to-adequate movie that's most interesting for its mediocrity/sheer adequacy, and the oddities and incomplete ideas scattered around.

Goku's decision to fight for Earth has stakes to it in a way that Superman's decision does not.

How does Superman come to the conclusion that he should side with Earth and not Zod? Just because he was there. His decisions to fight for Earth is forced and could have been any planet. Earth is just a stand in for a broad "good place". There are kids and families there!

Just compare the monologues during the climax of each film:

Man of Steel posted:

You are not alone... My name is General Zod. I come from a world far from yours. I have journeyed across an ocean of stars to reach you. For some time, your world has sheltered one of my citizens. I request that you return this individual to my custody. For reasons unknown, he has chosen to keep his existence a secret from you. He will have made efforts to blend in. He will look like you, but he is not one of you. To those of you who may know of his current location: the fate of your planet rests in your hands. To Kal-El, I say this: surrender within 24 hours, or watch this world suffer the consequences.

Dragon Ball Z posted:

Spending an entire year in the hyperbolic time chamber was the most difficult task I ever had to face. The gravity was so intense I barely could walk; the air was so thick I could hardly breath. The temperature fluctuated wildly. Sometimes freezing cold, other raging hot. Everyday presented its own hardship. A new obstacle to be met and overcome, of course some days were harder that other.

And just when I had given up all hope, when I was sure I wouldn't last another moment it that awful place. I saw him; he stood at the heart of that raging inferno shrouded by flames, thousand of fiery tongues licking at his body. In that instant all fear all my fears, all my pain dropped away. I knew only I had to be strong, I had to step through that wall of flame. I had to do it for him!

Suddenly everything became clear those raging flames hadn't been a product of the hyperbolic time chamber at all. They had come from him. Their intensity fuel the one desire that consumed him, the desire to be the best. I knew then that my father would reach his goal, he would achieve a new unprecedented new power level, he would surpass a super saiyan, and realizing this I was left to face the trials of the void alone.

The weeks and months that followed exist in my memory mostly as a blur, a seemingly succession of grueling days and sleepless nights. Never had I known such effort. And never had both my mind and my body closer to the breaking point, but through it all I persisted, the enormous shadow that loomed over me a constant reminder of my goal.

The blood that flows through my father veins flows through mine as well. I was determined to prove this fact at all cost. My every thought my every action was directed toward this singular purpose. I honored my fathers wishes to be left alone, but I watched him from afar, when I could. And I learned. I knew that my father would achieve the greatness that he desired. He would climb any mountain that stood in his path, and I vowed that I would follow in his footsteps. I would make my own ascension. So that one day I may face my father as his equal and he will know that I am his son.

Father, one day I will prove myself to you. Maybe then you'll understand all of these dangers you're so eager to face, you don't have to face them alone.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 20, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Movie fight!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The MOS signal hijack monologue is incredibly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I adore the line that he's "journeyed across an ocean of stars."

• Locked thread