Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surely if you want to cast a typically handsome, dashing and romantic mid-30s / early-40s actor as the Thirteenth Doctor, there must be better options in British television to fit that archetype than Kris Marshall. Matthew Macfadyen? Jonas Armstrong? Aidan Turner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

phil mitchell

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Richard Ayoade or Rupert Grint.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tom Hardy as his character from Taboo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nathan Stewart-Jarrett

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering how things are going worldwide, I'm half-expecting the 13th Doctor to be Nigel Farage.

Would you say the BBC's making plans?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

HERAK posted:

That's what i hope. Certainly would be much more interesting.

I posted that as a joke, but it could actually work. John Simm is a young but not too young, charismatic handsome actor who has been the lead in several shows and usually plays a very good guy with aplomb. He's beloved by fans. The fakeout would be they tease the 13th Doctor as coming in the Christmas special, but of course rumors are it happens in the Season finale in the spring. So what actually could happen is it appears that the Simm Master has returned to team up with Missy and at least one more previous Master. They take out the Doctor and he regenerates---but the twist is the Simm Master we saw was the 13th Doctor all along, and he betrays Team Master in the end to save himself. They might even go as far as have Kris Marshall as a fake Jackson Lake style new Doctor, or even a quick one and done 13th Doctor who will regenerate again into Simm, who will the be the 14th Doctor going forward. Easy to do, with a whole new regeneration cycle and ability to add more beyond that.

The one argument against that though is while Simm is apparently willing to come back and reprise the role of The Master now and again, he is really turned off by the rabid fandom and I can't see him taking a 3 year/lifetime commitment to that role:
http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-whos-john-simm-denies-fans-slur-10444582

quote:

He was quoted in the Radio Times as saying: "I do get a lot of Doctor Who. God almighty, I'll be so happy when that's gone from my life. They're lovely, I'm sure, but I won't miss it."

As part of the interview, which Sky News understands was recorded in full on tape, he added: "It's great to be into something, but for goodness' sake, really? I'm not The Master, I'm not that evil Time Lord who rules the galaxy, I'm just in Tesco with my kids. Leave me alone!"

He denied saying it/said it was taken out of context but still not the words of a guy who'd want to be known as The Doctor for the rest of his life. He seems like more an Eccleston type, who would not want one role to define him as an actor. Which quite frankly, I don't think we need in Doctor Who. I'm not saying fans have to own the actors, but there is certainly a different commitment when you take on an iconic role like The Doctor, James Bond, a Star Trek character, etc--it's a lifetime thing and you may or may not be able to move on from it as an actor and be known for other stuff. It's not always that way, as guys like Patrick Stewart and Scott Bakula have done plenty of big roles they are equally known for before and since, but it's also not a job you want to take on lightly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering how things are going worldwide, I'm half-expecting the 13th Doctor to be Nigel Farage.

The Doctor just goes to meet Davros and says "Hey, fellah, I changed my mind; let's work togeher."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Daily Mirror claims that David Bradley is going to appear in the Christmas special as the First Doctor. It's the Mirror so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Sounds like they're just reading the Gallifrey Base forums too much.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I don't know how I feel about this. I kind of liked the idea of him popping in properly in Day or something when he was first cast as Hartnell in the docudrama and I was high on anniversary hype but I'm much more ambivalent towards the idea now.

Regeneration is already a built in recasting method so that the Doctor can survive beyond any one actor that I feel like recasting specific Doctors is a bit wrong and missing the importance of what each actor brings to their individual incarnation. I dunno.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Box of Bunnies posted:

I don't know how I feel about this. I kind of liked the idea of him popping in properly in Day or something when he was first cast as Hartnell in the docudrama and I was high on anniversary hype but I'm much more ambivalent towards the idea now.

Regeneration is already a built in recasting method so that the Doctor can survive beyond any one actor that I feel like recasting specific Doctors is a bit wrong and missing the importance of what each actor brings to their individual incarnation. I dunno.

Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I really didn't rate Bradley's performance as Hartnell. Not a knock on his acting talents, I just don't think he's the right actor to do a convincing Hartnell.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheezle posted:

Also, I dunno about anyone else, but I really didn't rate Bradley's performance as Hartnell. Not a knock on his acting talents, I just don't think he's the right actor to do a convincing Hartnell.
What about if he played Hurndall instead?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What about if he played Hurndall instead?

Why stop there? Maybe he could play himself playing Hurndall.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

This is how I'm always going to feel about it and nothing is going to change my mind. It's why I think they should have just cast a talented mimic to play Tarkin in Rogue One (the CG I don't mind, even if it's weird, but making someone else's voice come out of the person is off-putting and feels disrespectful - it feels like they're trying to construct a dead person out of technology and his component parts, rather than giving another actor a chance at an interpretation). The First Doctor is gone, and unless it's a quick line up kind of thing like in the 50th, let's leave him that way.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Gorn Myson posted:

Tom Hardy as his character from Taboo.

'Golly, Doctor, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside than on the outside!'

:stare: [grunt]

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If Bradley is in the Christmas special but is actually an evil robot duplicate rather than the actual first Doctor as was the original plan with Hurndall in Five Doctors then maybe I could jive with it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I hope Capaldi regenerates into Bradley and Doctors repeating their regenerations becomes canon. Already looking forward to Shearsmith returning as Troughton.

MixxMaster
Sep 15, 2005
The multiple Masters will somehow end up making the first Doctor regenerate...into Kris Marshall. Capaldi will end up fading away, Marty McFly-style. Marshall will be the new 2nd Doctor. There's your huge "Brain melting twist" Moffat has promised.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I personally was very excited to hear the rumor and hope it's true. I've wanted Bradley to do some First Doctor stuff on tv or audio since the anniversary special. Once again, Moffat is ticking another box for me! :dance:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope Capaldi regenerates into Bradley and Doctors repeating their regenerations becomes canon. Already looking forward to Shearsmith returning as Troughton.

If the Doctor regenerates into Shearsmith it'll mean he was somehow deeply touched by the character from Sleep No More, and not even I remember that episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I see the Beeb seem to have explicitly ruled out Capaldi being replaced by a woman (just in case there was any doubt remaining).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see the Beeb seem to have explicitly ruled out Capaldi being replaced by a woman (just in case there was any doubt remaining).

Where? Was there a new thing?

e: nm, found it. Jesus Christ, BBC. That's the wrong kind of fan to appease with a letter.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

e: nm, found it. Jesus Christ, BBC. That's the wrong kind of fan to appease with a letter.

Fwiw, the Metro reports that the complaints officer who responded "went rogue" to do so. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lmao jesus christ the original letter was literally "won't somebody think of the children?!?"

Yeah cause if the Doctor is a woman you might need to have some awkward conversations with your kids. Like how a ten thousand year old shape changing alien can be a lady sometimes :rolleyes:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As part of the damage control, the Beeb continues to insist that no decision has yet been made (though I believe PriorMarcus mentioned previously ITT that the new Doctor has indeed been cast already).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If they don't cast a woman, that's fine....but saying that doing so would be confusing to kids....that's just insulting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

If they don't cast a woman, that's fine....but saying that doing so would be confusing to kids....that's just insulting.

Especially in light of Missy, which strikes me as testing the waters for a female Doctor, and of course getting the objectively best actor possible to play the Master that I've seen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking just the other day that it would've been really funny if, when the revival had come out, it was with Helen Baxendale as the Doctor and James Nesbitt as the Master.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are there children confused and upset that the Master changed into a woman? How about when The General regenerated into a woman?

Why would anyone bring up kids as the reason to not have The Doctor regenerate into a female? If it's anyone who'd be accepting of the transformation it would be the kids.

It's most of the grown ups who wouldn't be able to cope with it for some inexplicable reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"You know kids, so set in their ways and terrified of change!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Also, many children ARE female! Shocking but true!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It'll be female prime ministers next! What's the world coming to?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It'll be female prime ministers next! What's the world coming to?!

How on Earth did they explain that to the children?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine explaining to children that women exist :ohdear:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thrawn527 posted:

How on Earth did they explain that to the children?

The Brigadier tried in 1974 but it didn't take.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
https://twitter.com/realrossnoble/status/855181733137981442

https://twitter.com/realrossnoble/status/855184781079961600

Probably not, but you never know?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That would be an insanely funny troll

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's the new Gordon the Gopher.

EDIT:I also have no idea how Marshall would in any way fit the bill of what the Beeb supposedly want? Like, he's not that young or 'sexy', he's a bland dude known for lovely ads, a lovely sitcom and a decent procedural. The 'alienated' fans aren't liable to flood back for this dude, the choice is aggressively 'safe' to the point that they're likely handicapping Chibnall before he can even get out of the gate because he'll have no buzz, and the tumblr crowd is as likely to backlash against yet another white straight dude as anything.

Like, I'd get it if it was some 20-something model-looking guy, like those early publicity stills of Matt looked, but Kris Marshall? (I'm sure if it IS him, he'll be fine, but that's the problem. I should be anticipating AWESOME, not 'fine')

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh god no. I like him on QI, but his stand up is atrocious.

Wait, he's the guy who has audience members throw random things on stage and he makes "jokes" about them, right? If so, yeah, he's awful.

edit: I should note I don't think he's actually being chosen. It's clearly a joke. I just wanted to poo poo on his stand up.

• Locked thread