Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Venuz Patrol posted:

this manga sucked for a while since it stopped having food, but it has food again now so its good

Yeah it's really turned around since this arc started.

I like the new judges, they seem fun. Also that last page seems like another thing that would be much more impressive in color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just started reading this manga about 2 months ago and I'm surprised by how good this is. I've only been reading the new chapters, but I think I'll have to pick up the rest.

Never thought I'd read a manga about competitive cooking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

I just started reading this manga about 2 months ago and I'm surprised by how good this is. I've only been reading the new chapters, but I think I'll have to pick up the rest.

The early stuff is a bit rough but it levels off not too far in and it's a really fun series

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So how many Michelin WGO stars should Yukihira have gotten if not for the fact that Saiba gives zero shits about that sorta thing now?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Xelkelvos posted:

So how many Michelin WGO stars should Yukihira have gotten if not for the fact that Saiba gives zero shits about that sorta thing now?

Since he's a super genius who wows everyone he cooks for, probably like 9. It would be 10, but the jellied peanut butter squid lost them a star.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Gyges posted:

Since he's a super genius who wows everyone he cooks for, probably like 9. It would be 10, but the jellied peanut butter squid lost them a star.

The squid's all Soma fault, it shouldn't affect the rankings.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Saiba is probably like a 5 star chef but he keeps yukihara a secret

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, isn't the only way to get stars to apply for them? i doubt outsiders could apply on their behalf.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

The squid's all Soma fault, it shouldn't affect the rankings.

It would've been octopus and strawberry jam if Souma hasn't changed it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Xelkelvos posted:

None but he'd get a glowing segment on a show like No Reservations if they found out about it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is impressive that apparently this soba competition has resulted in food that looks and smells so good it's causing everyone's face to phase through the bars of their jail.

Aurora posted:

Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives

Defile not this comic about cuisine with the specter of Guy Fieri.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Defile not this comic about cuisine with the specter of Guy Fieri.

After they finish winning over Japan, they'll travel the world fighting the greatest chef schools. The abusive Ramsey School and the flashy Fieri school, among others.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The dreaded Deen school

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Same. I started reading it on a whim when Jump Alpha started and it grew on me quickly. If you don't feel up to going through the manga, the Anime is a fantastic and delicious adaptation in my opinion.

I actually haven't read the earliest stuff, I started with Jump in the Stagiarre arc and then watched the anime as it aired to fill in the early bits up to that point. It's actually pretty convenient for met that that's where the anime ended, haha.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like Guy Fieri, he is actually a p. okay dude in real life

I will fight him about hating egg yolks though, what a weakling

Compendium fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 14, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same. I started reading it on a whim when Jump Alpha started and it grew on me quickly. If you don't feel up to going through the manga, the Anime is a fantastic and delicious adaptation in my opinion.

I actually haven't read the earliest stuff, I started with Jump in the Stagiarre arc and then watched the anime as it aired to fill in the early bits up to that point. It's actually pretty convenient for met that that's where the anime ended, haha.

I think the anime is definitely better than the manga for the first season, second not so much.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Compendium posted:

I like Guy Fieri, he is actually a p. okay dude in real life

No he isn't.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the anime is definitely better than the manga for the first season, second not so much.
The second season was rushed as hell, but it did have its rad moments, with a definitive highlight being the inclusion of Sayaka Ōhara as Alice's Mom Leonora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykIdEj59Ds

It's just a silly bear accent, but doggone it, it just works so well for her. It also reminds me of a friend who started living in Osaka 3 years ago who now HATES the fact that she basically had to learn a ton of words from scratch.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I watched the anime before catching up with the manga and I don't think I'm too worse off for it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's a little weird that they made a big deal out of the teamwork element during the previous training match and now it seems to have completely disappeared for the actual match

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's a little weird that they made a big deal out of the teamwork element during the previous training match and now it seems to have completely disappeared for the actual match

They don't need the teamwork for the three they're currently facing, but it'll give an excuse later for why Rindou and Eishi don't splatter everybody.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A possibility might be that Mimasaka throws away his match to support his two teammates in their dishes, as he wasn't able to perform his perfect trace on the Elite Ten members, but winds up doing it flawlessly with, say, Megumi.

Many laughs will be had with Megumi and Mimasaka striking identical poses, and then it's revealed that Mimasaka has taken his Perfect Trace to the next level: Perfect Pitch.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe Soma's soba dish and Isshiki's eel dish go well together.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The new judge proves that all the best Soma characters are the ones that are naturally unserious

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wark Say posted:

The second season was rushed as hell, but it did have its rad moments, with a definitive highlight being the inclusion of Sayaka Ōhara as Alice's Mom Leonora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RykIdEj59Ds

It's just a silly bear accent, but doggone it, it just works so well for her. It also reminds me of a friend who started living in Osaka 3 years ago who now HATES the fact that she basically had to learn a ton of words from scratch.

Still the most convincing westerner-speaking-badly-accented-Japanese impression I've ever heard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If nothing else about last arc, I'm glad Souma defeating Hayama is over and done with

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I wonder who's going to beat Erina's dad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurora posted:

I wonder who's going to beat Erina's dad.

If he had his way, Souma's dad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as soon as he tries to do anything but manipulate kids i'm pretty sure that reality will stop him pretty easily.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

New chapter. I'm hungry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Time to speculate on Souma's dish based on appearance: obviously it's some sort of yakisoba, but it's fried in a wok rather than on a griddle so it might be a little similar to lo mein or pancit

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I love soba so this chapter has made me really hungry for some now.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

if she's already memorized everything in the books then what is the point of having them there physically tchhh

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Same.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So why are they even in the cage when they can just phase through the bars

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
The most important development this chapter:
Erina can now do laundry :3:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Futaba Anzu posted:

if she's already memorized everything in the books then what is the point of having them there physically tchhh

Because even if you're memorized a book you don't necessarily memorize the exact wording duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm the guy in the cage declaring that I will get some soba tonight.