Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Also Sphinx of Lost Truths, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
We should start sprinkling rumors throughout the internet that this is the abolishment of the reserved list and Iconic Masters will have the P9 in it and the original dual lands.

Seriously though, how amazing would it be to sit down at an event to draft a set you know nothing about and the first pack you crack has a lotus in it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

Don't most nerd cons sell out in under a half hour after they open registration at a random unannounced time?

This is the first time I have heard about this convention at all. I am having a hard time believing it's one of those.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i can't believe they finally made the 249 Lightning Bolt set

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's actually just 248 bolts, and one Desert.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Ironic Masters, featuring the return of white borders and 7th Edition art

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Please, this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

With Unglued basic lands? :pray:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If they got the old artists to do modern takes on their old art, without the restrictive house art style, I would be really excited. But as it stands, it will likely be all your old favorite cards with new style art so that they are unrecognizable.

However if they did a modern/old border hybrid thing somehow, like timeshifted cards, that would be extremely up my alley.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

7th edition wrath is great and I'll knife fight anyone who says otherwise

Most other 7th edition art, not so much

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Two $10 msrp masters sets in a year. These things must rake it in.

Imagine if they had the balls to say gently caress the reserved list. They'd make boatloads

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Imagine if they had the balls to say gently caress the reserved list. They'd make boatloads

The reserved list going away is probably the only real threat to modern in the foreseeable future.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Prediction: They say gently caress the reserve list for this set and it has P9, dual lands, etc, but it's gold bordered and $10 retail.

not real prediction, but that would be pretty funny

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

80s James Hetfield posted:

I like how the assumption is that killing the reserved list means they'd immediately reprint the P9 at common or some poo poo and not that the next step would be "Forbidden Masters," with packs that have a $50 MSRP with the P9 as masterpieces

e: Also let's be real, no one gives a poo poo about 95% of the cards on the reserved list. Even poo poo like Juzam Djinn only has value due to age

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 20, 2017

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

quote:

Iconic Masters offers players a tour through some of the most powerful cards in over 23 years of Magic history.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/products/iconic-masters

So either the first 2 years is excluded and no chance of reserved list cards or reserve list cards are there and shitbox standard stuff is not in it.

I can't decide which is more likely

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

No set symbol... because it's actually a stylized black lotus??!?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Has SCG started preordering boxes for 150% retail price yet?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ban phones and the internet from that con so we don't get to see the set contents and the likely presence of bronies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Ideal Masters: Tournament-legal versions of Reserved List cards and a guaranteed foil rare in every pack! MSRP: $9.99, your soul for all eternity

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 20, 2017

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just want it to have reserved list cards so I can watch the "investors" shriek their heads off on reddit.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

...Why does a Masters set have a worldbuilding team? :tinfoil:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No spoilers means it​'s basically eBay repacks now that I think about it heh.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Let's be honest, there is no card more "iconic" than the lotus

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

I just want it to have reserved list cards so I can watch the "investors" shriek their heads off on reddit.

Nah dude see they do it for the love of the game

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

I mean, a "core" set (I know it's not but whatever) without a set symbol would be an extra nostalgia box ticked

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

...Why does a Masters set have a worldbuilding team? :tinfoil:

Probably for the new art. One of the only good things about 7th edition was how it incorporated the 4 paladins into a bunch of stuff and told a little story that way

AceClown posted:

So either the first 2 years is excluded and no chance of reserved list cards or reserve list cards are there and shitbox standard stuff is not in it.

I can't decide which is more likely

There's plenty of iconic non-Reserved stuff they can print from the first two years of the game, such as Mana Drain, Demonic Tutor, Karakas, Mishra's Factory, Serendib Efreet, Maze of Ith, Mind Twist, etc

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What's supposed to be the difference between iconic masters and eternal masters

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Iconic masters is going to have a bunch of lovely Modern and recent Standard cards that are "iconic" like Generic Big Hydra/Dragon/Angel and Siege Rhino and Baby Jace, is the difference.

In addition to crap like shivan dragon, of course.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Shortest Path posted:

Iconic masters is going to have a bunch of lovely Modern and recent Standard cards that are "iconic" like Generic Big Hydra/Dragon/Angel and Siege Rhino and Baby Jace, is the difference.

Yeah, basically. I mentioned a bunch of powerful stuff, but the first two-year stuff we're likely to get is going to be more like Icy Manipulator

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dragon enthusiast posted:

What's supposed to be the difference between iconic masters and eternal masters

Eternal Masters has a fringe playable bad rare

Ironic Masters has a foil grizzly bears

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What cards will be in Byronic masters

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

Probably for the new art. One of the only good things about 7th edition was how it incorporated the 4 paladins into a bunch of stuff and told a little story that way
Oh right, good catch.

Well, I guess we are going back to Dominaria! :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Devor posted:

Ironic Masters

Well, I know what I'm calling it when it turns out to be full of trash

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Stop trying to trick him. You represent tapping by placing a bead on the card.

When I played waaay back in the day we used red white and blue poker chips for 5 life, 1 life, and tap marker respectively.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Same except without the Reddit thing. If only so I can show people that their Beta power won't drop a penny even if it is reprinted. And I say this as someone who until recently had a pretty extensive collection of duals and a good start on power.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
This is still going to be infinitely better than their 20 year anniversary, which consisted of WotC telling everyone "Hey, it's 20 years of Magic! To celebrate...why don't you guys go and buy a booster. That's it. gently caress off." and we know literally nothing about this, except it's name.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maro pointed out at one point that they had bigger plans than they did for the 25th Anniversary because fans got pissed off about the 20th having basically nothing.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah they added two digits as a check sum, or something. Mine are 20, but I think I can still use the sixer if they can look it up?

Don't even need to look it up, it just works, at least in WER. I too have a six digit number and remember when they tacked digits on to it (twice), but it's never actually mattered, so I dunno why they bothered. Maybe in DCIR you had to do a lookup when they used that, but these days you just type it in like any other number.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

BJPaskoff posted:

Don't most nerd cons sell out in under a half hour after they open registration at a random unannounced time?

That's only really true of SDCC, which is a huge outlier in the world of nerd cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

That's only really true of SDCC, which is a huge outlier in the world of nerd cons.

Also the PAXes.